Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Dee_in_NY
0 Kudos

Re: NOOK Color Update 1.4

Did the upgrade when it was released.  I love it, but it is a pain to fine the free read now.  Maybe they will fix that soon.

My name is Derina and I am an ebook addict, and I am not affraid to admit it
Reader 2
literarycat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I recently downloded new update and it has corrupted my Nook color which I received last Christmas. I have loved my nook color but now it is unresponsive , slow and difficult to use. I have spent hours on the phone with people I can barely understand trying to get to the bottom of this issue. My lap top flashed a warning that the file was corrupted but was told to download it anyway , I might add that the file was not opened. After hours of getting no where and being directed to return my nook to factory settings and being told that I would lose every thing including my pics and such and would have to download my library again I did what I was told...all the books remained on the nook with a download sign as well as the aps but lost my personnel things , items pop all over without being directed there and I do not have the new task bar that my friends have with the new software. After all of that I was asked if my nook had been dropped which it has never been dropped or abused worked really great until this. The resolution is that they will replace my nook with a rebuilt one , this does not make me happy how would I know if a rebuilt one is OK and why was it rebuilt in the first place? This just makes me sick to begin with my nook has sentimental value as it was a gift to me from my daugher. I never had any problem with the last update? I have considered getting the tablet but wonder now after this experience ....heart broken over this, also was told to go to nearest B&N which would be 160 mile round trip for me . Still can't figure out why in the world I was told to remove everything back to factory settings when tech new full well that every thing would be removed EXCEPT the corrupted 1.4.1 sotware which still remains...Also not sure if I should remove the sofware from my laptop? So discouraged
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

literarycat: Sorry to hear of your problems. From reading your account, it sounds like you tried flashing a corrupt file. Were you instructed at any point to download a new (uncorrupted) copy and try again?

I'd be hesitant to settle for a refurb as well. From what you've written, nothing is wrong with your device physically. You just need some help getting the software sorted out.

Would it be possible for you to take it by a B&N store to see if they can help you? Since you've already done a factory reset, I think you just need to get the update flashed properly. The NOOKcolor is extremely hard to permanently damage this way. Unfortunately, you already lost "your stuff", but the device itself should be fine.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Ah, just re-read the bit about the nearest B&N being 160 miles away. Sorry I can't help, unless you happen to be in Central MA soon, or southern FL this week!

Contributor
Suvorov
0 Kudos

I can't download the update on my Nook Color. At some point, wasn't it supposed to automatically download? I successfully downloaded it on another Nook Color, but on this one, it says the device does not support the file. Any suggestions?

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Are you sure you got the update for the Nook Color and not the Nook Tablet?  In B&N's infinite wisdom, they are both designated as version 1.4.1.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Contributor
Suvorov
0 Kudos

Good to know. I will try that. Thanks.