Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Starting in January: New Reads with Rachel Kubie

New Reads with Rachel Kubie

Starting in January 2008, moderator Rachel Kubie will be your guide through monthlong discussions of new and noteworthy books.

Each month, you'll discuss a different novel -- it could be a debut, or it could be the latest book by an author who only has 2-3 books under their belt.

It will be a great way for us to discuss some of the wonderful new titles that hit the shelves, even though they may be a bit under the radar. And the best part -- the authors will be joining the conversation.

The first New Reads with Rachel Kubie discussion will begin on January 2nd. I'm busy scheduling authors for the first few months of the year, and as soon as I can, I'll post the January schedule.

Thanks, everyone!

Frequent Contributor
KathyH
0 Kudos

Re: Starting in January: New Reads with Rachel Kubie

Jessica,

Please, please, please see if B&N will have Frank Delaney moderate his newest book, Tipperary. I just started it.

Also, if we have any readers who enjoy digging into deep, non-fiction, Niall Ferguson's book War of the World is great.

KathyH
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

KathyH wrote:
Jessica,

Please, please, please see if B&N will have Frank Delaney moderate his newest book, Tipperary. I just started it.

Also, if we have any readers who enjoy digging into deep, non-fiction, Niall Ferguson's book War of the World is great.

KathyH

Hey I know there are a lot of us that would love to have Harlan Coben back next year when his new one comes out and Lisa See too. They were great!
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

KathyH wrote:
Jessica,

KathyH

Franks was wonderful to talk with when he was here for his book Ireland. I would love to discuss his new book with him too.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Sounds good. Is this in place of First Look Jessica?

Jessica wrote:

New Reads with Rachel Kubie

Starting in January 2008, moderator Rachel Kubie will be your guide through monthlong discussions of new and noteworthy books.

Each month, you'll discuss a different novel -- it could be a debut, or it could be the latest book by an author who only has 2-3 books under their belt.

It will be a great way for us to discuss some of the wonderful new titles that hit the shelves, even though they may be a bit under the radar. And the best part --
the authors will be joining the conversation.

The first New Reads with Rachel Kubie discussion will begin on January 2nd. I'm busy scheduling authors for the first few months of the year, and as soon as I can, I'll post the January schedule.

Thanks, everyone!

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Nope, we'll still feature a First Look event, as well as B&N Recommends.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Great idea I can't wait to participate. I think BN is so innovative in their ways to get us to pick up a book, now I don't need any reason to pick one up I probably read 4 books a week I mean with the world the way it is now what better way to escape it than to immerse ourselves in someone else's idea of reality.
Way to go Barnes & Noble
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Lottery by Patricia Woods

Jessica,
We were chatting in the Community Room about a new book Lottery by Patricia Wood and she joined the conversation. This was her first book and it was so good. Maybe you could consider her for a book club here. This is part of the conversation we had and it has some of her important info in it.

Patricia Wood said:
...Let me know if your book club decides to use LOTTERY as I make myself available when the clubs discuss my book. I have participated by speaker phone, ichat with video and SKYPE and it's been a great deal of fun.
I've gotten a chance to meet readers all over the country - New Jersey, California, Ohio, Florida...and the questions have been so insightful!
Much aloha to you!

Patricia Wood
Author of
LOTTERY
http://patriciawoodauthor.com http://pkwood.blogspot.com patricia@patriciawoodauthor.com
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Ok, I am a bit confused about the club from now on. So like in January, is there only going to be the Jane Austen book to read as a club on ONE book with the author for the month, instead of 3-5 to choose from like before? And then those one week clubs with authors about all their books instead of just one to try, if you dont know them? I am not sure I get it. Other than just one book then, all others that are a month long will be moderator lead only, not a couple of ones to choose from with authors there? If this is the case, I am incredibly sad. I have so totally enjoyed the ones with the authors there to discuss one book with us that I have bought a lot of books because of it and really fell for some authors works. I have stayed away from the one week clubs this month because I dont know the authors and my understanding is, its just talking to an author about any of their books, so you if you dont know them, you would just be guessing at one book to read before they got here to get in just a few questions. I have enjoyed one moderator led club this month, but its not the same and just bought one book the whole month too because of it. Is this the way its going to be from now on? I am not trying to sound nasty about this, just really confused at this point and really really really hoping we are still going to have more than one author per month with one book I can concentrate on with them. I am not particularly interested in talking to an author for one week about their body of work, I am really wanting the "bookclub" talk about one book with the authors, that is so great! So can you clarify for me a bit Jessica. I am getting depressed at this point. :smileysad:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Hi Vivico,

You're half right.

As you know, you can ask questions of an author about a single book in Center Stage. It's just not a monthlong discussion. New Reads is a monthlong discussion with the author.

Also, authors often join discussions in the genre boards (Paranormal, Jewish Encounters, etc.), if not for a whole month, then sometimes for a few weeks.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:
Hi Vivico,

You're half right.

As you know, you can ask questions of an author about a single book in Center Stage. It's just not a monthlong discussion. New Reads is a monthlong discussion with the author.

Also, authors often join discussions in the genre boards (Paranormal, Jewish Encounters, etc.), if not for a whole month, then sometimes for a few weeks.

Yeah, I know you can ask the authors in center stage about one book if you want, thats the problem tho, if you dont know the author, you dont know their books, you would either have to go find their books and find one that you might want to read and get it read just to get in a question or two on that one during that one week. Then you may also have some of their other books spoiled for you too. I guess I just prefer the sit with a book, and discuss it with the author, than the sit with an author and discuss a lot of books setup. Well heck. When we had at least 3 authors to chose from, even if i didnt know them, which was mostly lol, I and 3 of my friends in here would decide together on one to try that at least sounded interesting and it has been wonderful to have the authors discuss that one book with you. I have actually bought several more books that way by that one author and also keep in touch with two of them, which is cool. Its been a totally different experience than I have had before and a great one. I did notice that on the genre boards those two you were talking about, the authors might be there for some of it. The genre boards are harder for me to keep up with for one book, because if its one book in there, its still like a thread you have to keep finding among the others, yes I know you can float it to the top, but its not set up like a single club. Some of us did our own club that way, on one thread in the community room when we couldnt find one we wanted to do, we did it on Harlan Coben, and tho only a few of us talked about the book we choose because it wasnt a BNBC club on him, but look at how many hits that thread has gotten, its amazing. So be patient with me here because you didnt really answer that one main question, on what is called the monthlong reads now, we will only have ONE to choose from now on? You know I understand if an author cant commit a full month, but what about some of those one weekers or better a two weeker club being about ONE book? That would be a great compromise solution. But is it really going to be just one book monthlong from now on? Thats what we are waiting to find out. TYIA
Vivian