Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

The First Look Book Club

[ Edited ]

Have questions about the First Look program? Here are the answers to some Frequently Asked Questions

What is the First Look Book Club?

This is a unique opportunity to enroll in a private discussion with an author, about a book that won't be released for a few months. We'll send you an Advanced Reading Copy -- for free! -- in time for the book club. In other words, you can be the first to get the scoop on the next great book, long before it ever hits the shelves!

How do I sign up?

Once we have a First Look selection, we'll make an announcement in the B&N Book Clubs, and open the enrollment period. If you tried but couldn't enroll in one month's First Look Book Club, you're not automatically enrolled in the next one. Because quantities of books are limited, we'll have a separate open enrollment announcement for each First Book selection. That's the only way to ensure that everyone gets a chance to participate.

What exactly is an Advance Reading Copy?

An Advance Reading Copy, or ARC, is a paperback edition created by publishers for distribution to booksellers and the media a few months before the actual publication of a new book. The ARC you'll receive will look very much like the final version of the book. It'll have all the text, and usually all the photos, illustrations, and front matter included in the finished book.

Do I have to pay for shipping?

No. The reading copy -- and the shipping -- is on us. The book will be delivered from one of our warehouses, but will not go through our normal order path and therefore will not be lised as an "order" on your Barnes & Noble.com shopping account.

When will I get my free Advance Reading Copy?

Once enrollment starts, we will be shipping books weekly, while quantities last. So, it could take up to two weeks to get your free book.

What happens if you run out of books?

We will be monitoring demand closely, and hope to have enough books for everyone. But quantities are limited, and are available on a first-come, first-served basis. If we run out of books, we'll post a message to the board, and close the enrollment period.

How do I find out about future First Look selections? Can I enroll right now? Sorry, there's no pre-enrollment. Stay tuned to this board for an announcement about our next First Look book club. After we make the announcement, we'll post instructions here on how to enroll.

Thanks, everyone, for the fantastic response to our first First Look Book Club, Lauren Groff's The Monsters of Templeton. Demand for this program was quite high, and we gave away the advance reading copies a lot faster than we expected.

If you've got other questions about First Look, please post them here by replying to this thread. And if you haven't done so already, please have a look at all of our current discussions. There's a lot going on.

Message Edited by Jessica on 11-30-2007 12:05 PM

Frequent Contributor
Jerseygirl
0 Kudos

Re: The First Look Book Club

Jessica,

I was never able to sign up for "The First Look Book Club" because the pop-up did not stay up in order for me to fill in my information! I have not disabled pop-ups on my computer, so that is not the problem. I would like to be eligible for the next one, how can this be resolved?

TIA,
jerseygirl
Frequent Contributor
flamingo
0 Kudos

Is this still an ongoing thing? I tried to sign up & it blocked me out. Sounds like great fun & I hope to sign up for the next one.
So many books, So little time
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

flamingo wrote:
Is this still an ongoing thing? I tried to sign up & it blocked me out. Sounds like great fun & I hope to sign up for the next one.

Hi Flamingo,
The current First Look club is now closed for enrollment. As soon as we pick and schedule the next one, we'll alert the community about when and how to sign up.
Stay tuned!
Jessica
Reader
geminichick
0 Kudos

I have received a copy of the October First Look ARC, but can't get into the discussion area. Is it closed?
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

geminichick wrote:
I have received a copy of the October First Look ARC, but can't get into the discussion area. Is it closed?

You are enrolled and should be able to access the board. Please sign in. After signing in go to http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board?board.id=adv. PM me if that does not work.

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!

Reader
comodore
0 Kudos

Having just signed up today 10/24/07 will that qualify me for Nov...?? Mailing..
Bill is comodore
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

comodore wrote: Having just signed up today 10/24/07 will that qualify me for Nov...?? Mailing.
Hi Bill,
We haven't announced our next First Look book club yet. When we do, that will be the time to submit your enrollment information.
Stay Tuned & Thanks!
Jessica
Frequent Contributor
Jerseygirl
0 Kudos

Jessica,

I have a question... Is the "message box" disabled until the next "First Book Club" is announced?

Regarding #2 under "How do I find out about future First Look selections?"
(2. Submit your information. Once you've signed in, click here and enter the following information in the "Your Message" area of the messenger window:smileyhappy:

The window does not stay open - it opens and closes in a flash and I cannot get it to stay open in order for me to fill out the information. My system is set up to allow pop-ups.

I tried signing up for the last (first) one the same day I received the email about it and the message box did not stay open then. Therefore, I wanted to try and communicate this to someone in hopes that next time I can get into the group.

TIA, please respond.

Jerseygirl
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Jerseygirl wrote: Jessica, I have a question... Is the "message box" disabled until the next "First Book Club" is announced?

Regarding #2 under "How do I find out about future First Look selections?"
(2. Submit your information. Once you've signed in, click here and enter the following information in the "Your Message" area of the messenger window:smileyhappy:

The window does not stay open - it opens and closes in a flash and I cannot get it to stay open in order for me to fill out the information. My system is set up to allow pop-ups.

I tried signing up for the last (first) one the same day I received the email about it and the message box did not stay open then. Therefore, I wanted to try and communicate this to someone in hopes that next time I can get into the group.

TIA, please respond.

Jerseygirl

Hi Jerseygirl,
Nope, that window should stay open. It's not disabled in any way. Make sure you're signed in before trying it again.

However, we haven't announced the next First Look book club yet. When we do, that will be the time to submit your info to us for enrollment.

Thanks!
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Has an announcement about the next FLBC been made yet Jessica? If so, I appear to have missed it, or can't find it:smileysad:
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Hi, Choisya! Nothing, as far as I've seen, has come in relating to the next First Look Book Club. I think we will all get a notice when it does.

Hope to see you soon,
Kathy S.

Choisya wrote:
Has an announcement about the next FLBC been made yet Jessica? If so, I appear to have missed it, or can't find it:smileysad:

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Hi Choisya,
We haven't announced it yet. It's in the works, though.
Stay tuned!
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Jessica, I loved being a part of the First Look Book club and really enjoyed the way we as readers got to interact together and with the publisher and especially with the author Laruen it was great. I can't wait until the next one I hope I get picked again.
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote: Jessica, I loved being a part of the First Look Book club and really enjoyed the way we as readers got to interact together and with the publisher and especially with the author Laruen it was great. I can't wait until the next one I hope I get picked again.

Glad you had a great time! We're working on the next one and hopefully will have an announcement in the next few weeks...

:smileyhappy:
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I also loved the FLBC, both for these reasons and, very significantly, because we were all coming to this as a new book with nobody having any knowledge of it, no reviews to affect our thinking, no academic essays, no previous book discussions, no Cliff notes, no Readers Guide, just a bunch of readers with absolutely nothing in front of them but each other and the book. It's the first time in either BNU or BNBC that this has happened, and I personally found it a wonderful experience.

dhaupt wrote:
Jessica, I loved being a part of the First Look Book club and really enjoyed the way we as readers got to interact together and with the publisher and especially with the author Laruen it was great. I can't wait until the next one I hope I get picked again.

0 Kudos

i was a part of the first look book club when i worked at barnes & noble at fashion island in california (many years ago). i am so excited to see that the program has expanded to include barnes & noble customers. it was one of the treats that i missed when i left my job at the bookstore. i hope that i can be a part of the next first look book. thank you for the opportunity.
Contributor
RaevenDarcluv
0 Kudos

I'm excited, this is my first time in a book club of any kind. I am sitting on needles to hear about the next book. Any news yet?
Inspired Contributor
Tasses
0 Kudos

I borrowed "The Monsters of Templeton" from my good buddy who snagged it on here. I missed the cut off as I was on the West Coast and the darned thing was gone by the time I woke up. What a great read. I posted a review. I hope it still gets accepted.

Anxiously awaiting the next ARC............................ Tasses
See all my reviews at: Reading Rumpus and Many A Quaint & Curious Volume
Reader
jmaxxxx
0 Kudos

I wanted to read "The Monsters of Templeton" so badly, I even emailed Mrs. Groff and told her how excited I was for her upcoming novel. But, as fate had it, I signed up too late, and no ARC for me. Forgive me for asking, but is anyone willing to send me the ARC of this novel? I just can't imagine myself waiting untill February to get it. Im just a desperate high school boy who really wants to read a good book.

Thanks,
Jonathan