Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
ArthurPhillips
0 Kudos

A Welcome Message From the Author

[ Edited ]
Children believe—with both pride and resentment—that fear is their monopoly. Darkness, evil, murderers, ghosts: kids feel that adults don’t seem to notice these things, or aren’t frightened by them (perhaps, the bed-bound child suspects, because they are in league with them). As their fed-up parents close the door with a firm "That’s enough now," and darkness returns, children live alone with fear.

Then, one day, the adult, having grown up and closed the door on his old nursery terrors, has children of his own, and only then does he discover (or re-discover) the excruciating, physical fear produced by anxiety and imagination. As a parent he feels once again that same pride and resentment: now he has the monopoly on fear, for he is certain that no child could know the toe-curling, nauseating terror of speculating on the myriad ways one’s own child can be hurt, corrupted, maimed, killed. Becoming a parent means learning to wrestle again with multi-limbed fear.

In some situations, parent and child can set each other off, inadvertently proving to the other that their worst worries may be justified. Somehow that idea caught my attention: a psychological perpetual motion machine—fear itself breeding a ghost, rather than vice versa.

I hope you enjoy the book, and I am very much looking forward to being part of your discussion here at BN.com.

Thanks for having me,
Arthur

Message Edited by ArthurPhillips on 07-03-2007 11:57 AM

Learn more about Angelica.
New User
Raabe
0 Kudos

A Welcome Message From the Author

I don't suppose there was an incident with your own child(ren) that might have sparked this idea...

Welcome back to Barnes & Noble, Arthur. I enjoyed the discussion you participated in for "The Egyptologist" as well as meeting you at The Bookcase in Wayzata some time ago (one of many fans I don't expect you to remember!).

I was surprised by "Angelica" in that you managed to capture the female voices so well. The novel is wonderful.
Author
ArthurPhillips
0 Kudos

Re: A Welcome Message From the Author

Thanks, Raabe! And, no, definitely nothing to do with my own experiences or my own children, although certainly observing children in close quarters helps.

Learn more about Angelica.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Breeding a Ghost- SPOILER Up to Page 86

ArthurPhillips wrote:
Somehow that idea caught my attention: a psychological perpetual motion machine—fear itself breeding a ghost, rather than vice versa.

SPOILER

I just read the part about the ghost appearing last night, on page 79:

"He comes often. Sometimes he is pink and sometimes blue. Did you see him, really? Truly?"

I thought it was a real ghost, perhaps part of a haunted house, until I read this on page 83:

"...the evil was plainly invoked by Constance's weakness, materialized as an expression of that weakness, and tormented the child precisely in proportion to the mother's fault,"

Then I began to think it was a ghost summoned by Constance's emotional reactions to her husband. I am thinking that blue is negative emotions and pink is positive emotions.

The idea that the emotion of fear is creating the ghost in both mother's and daughter's minds, not vice versa, is so fascinating. I can't wait to read further to see how this idea plays out!
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Users Online
Currently online: 14 members 454 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: