Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Are the characters stable?

We see Anne, Angelica, Constance, and Joseph through so many lenses--moments of action or inaction, from differing, conflicting perspectives, do you think you can recognize the "true" character in each of them?

Who is most difficult for you to get an accurate reading of? Who is easiest to read?

There is a passage on 253 that I thought was really wonderfully done--Joseph has been writing in a journal and the notebook is sitting on the cafe table, turned outward, and he has a powerfully angry/defensive reaction to seeing people pass by his journal and read his name on the cover of it--and he muses on how easily a person can be "stripped" of his own character, changed, and even compares it, relatively, to how a man "discovers himself" by finding out how he will act in war--and how that is also a lie about what makes up a "self."

That small passage really took on the whole novel for me, because I felt I had to keep shifting my perspective on each of them.
Frequent Contributor
x-tempo
0 Kudos

Re: Are the characters stable?

[ Edited ]

rkubie wrote:
We see Anne, Angelica, Constance, and Joseph through so many lenses--moments of action or inaction, from differing, conflicting perspectives, do you think you can recognize the "true" character in each of them?

Who is most difficult for you to get an accurate reading of? Who is easiest to read?

There is a passage on 253 that I thought was really wonderfully done--Joseph has been writing in a journal and the notebook is sitting on the cafe table, turned outward, and he has a powerfully angry/defensive reaction to seeing people pass by his journal and read his name on the cover of it--and he muses on how easily a person can be "stripped" of his own character, changed, and even compares it, relatively, to how a man "discovers himself" by finding out how he will act in war--and how that is also a lie about what makes up a "self."

That small passage really took on the whole novel for me, because I felt I had to keep shifting my perspective on each of them.

Rachel,

We don't find out about the narrator until the end of the novel but early in the second section when we realize that the same events are being told from a different perspective, it dawns on us how unreliable the previous narration has been. The narrator, who seems omniscient because she/he describes events that no one person could know, turns out to have a 20th century psychoanalytical perspective on events that happened in the Victorian Age. Do you agree with that?

I think Joseph's self-consciousness and defensiveness about how he imagines he's being perceived by others in the cafe is actually the narrator inhabiting the character's consciousness and relating how he might have felt about an incident so trivial that the narrator could not have known about it.

I don't think the narrator is describing Joseph as unstable in this scene. He's a scientist who values rationality and order. The Victorians might have thought of "character" as a supression of the lower instincts. In this incident he's momentarily overtaken by his emotions, but he recovers and is able to analyze what just happened to him. More importantly, he (or the narrator who attributes these thought to him) exptrapolates from his momentary lapse of civility a theory about the behavior of men in combat (something he's experienced) and sociopaths. He doesn't seem unstable to me.

His Italian father anglicized the family surname and advised his son to serve in the military to prove his loyalty to England. Joseph isn't a doctor but he has a good job in a medical laboratory and could have married the daughter of one of his colleagues instead of Constance the orphaned stationer's clerk. He believes that religion is superstition and he wants his daughter to have a good education.

So from his perspective, he's a family man, a modern man of science who's fulfilled his obligation to serve in the military.

steve

Message Edited by x-tempo on 07-25-2007 04:13 PM
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Are the characters stable?-Whole Book --- SPOILER

rkubie wrote:

SPOILER

I think this is a central question of the novel --- how well do we know ourselves and each other? Clearly, Constance and Joseph do not communicate effectively with one another. Both misinterpret the others' words and actions. I couldn't help but wonder if Joseph knew of Constance's sexual abuse by her father. Additionally, I couldn't help but wonder if Constance knew of Joseph's disappointment in himself, when he was forced to withdraw "from the medical faculty and converted his limited medical knowledge into an enlistment in the hospital corps" (p. 230).

I don't think we will ever know the true character of either Constance or Joseph. We can piece together what we believe to be their true characters, based on what is in the book, coupled with our own thoughts.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 230 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: