Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Science and superstition?

Related to some of the posts in our first impressions: I read a kind of wonderful and awful book about the history of communication and it dealt with some of the transformations during this period of time--one of the things it proposed (if I remember) was that the superstitious stuff that was so wildly popular--the seances and spirit worlds--were directly linked to a kind of shock at what was happening in the sciences and new technologies--that electric light, the phonograph, the photograph, etc--they all seemed to be disembodied presences to the general population of the time, and to be asked to accept these things as a matter of course was pretty far out. I thought of this pretty often. And it helps make this setting perfect for a “haunting.” How did you take the relationship between, for example, Barton’s work and home life? How does this outside world impinge upon them?
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Science and superstition?

I think Mr. Barton's work has made him able to view and participate in situations with detachment. He seems to be able to turn his emotions on and off at will. Here is a quote from page 120 describing another way that his work affects him and others:

"Only then did he examine Constance's hand. He handled it roughly, did not apologize for the water's sting. He practiced every day on mute beasts and treated her no differently."

Based on the title of your message, Rachel, I had thought you were going to ask about whether or not people believed in ghosts. Anyone care to discuss that?
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Author
ArthurPhillips
0 Kudos

Re: Science and superstition?

I would be very curious to know that about people, too!

Learn more about Angelica.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Do You Believe in Ghosts?

ArthurPhillips wrote:
I would be very curious to know that about people, too!

I didn't really believe in ghosts until I was an adult. Now I definitely do.

Has anyone heard of The Myrtles? Here is a link:

http://www.myrtlesplantation.com/

When I lived in Baton Rouge, my hairdresser was also the hairdresser for the woman who owned and operated The Myrtles at the time. The stories! There are so many consistencies in stories and sightings by children to make me believe. Plus, the place has a "feel" about it.

A couple of years ago, my husband's company leased a new building. My husband and many, if not all (about 10 people) of the employees in the building, believe that the building is haunted by a middle aged man. They think that the former owner of the building died. They wonder if it might be him.

The ghost is typically spotted close to the southwest corner of the building, in the conference room or by the overhead loading dock door. The people who see him typically say he is running away to hide someplace and get out of the way.

My husband went into work one Monday. In front of his office door were two pieces of paper standing on end in a “Stonehenge” kind of formation. The carpet is industrial and the fibers would not support the paper. The paper was rigid and flat, not floppy. He didn’t really think much of it. He picked it up and went into his office. The next day, when he went into work, there it was again --- the pieces of paper on edge, perpendicular to the floor. This time he looked at them more closely, trying to figure out what was going on. He could find no reason how or why pieces of paper could be like this. This second time it happened, he did have at least one other person see the papers. I told him to take the digital camera in, have it ready to take the picture, and try to capture it on film. He walked in the next day, camera in hand, but no paper was there. It hasn’t been since.

Anyone else have any ghost stories?
Laura

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing this Laura!

I have a not-quite-ghost story. My father's house was sold to a construction guy in his neighborhood. As soon as the house is cleared, the new owner puts up scaffolding and starts renovating. He claims some of his workmen quit on him because (they say) someone is in the house, throwing things at the windows while they work. Shortly after, the new owner meets a previous owner on some kind of a rafting trip across the state, who claims this is Charlie, a ghost who'd been active in the house while she grew up there (the first owner of the house, she suspects). I'm a little hurt. Didn't Charlie like us? Or maybe he did like my cantankerous father, and stayed quietly there with him like an easygoing roommate?

Of course, the coincidence of the new owner meeting the previous owner on a weekend away sounds a little Anne-ish to me.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:
I'm a little hurt. Didn't Charlie like us? Or maybe he did like my cantankerous father, and stayed quietly there with him like an easygoing roommate?

Of course, the coincidence of the new owner meeting the previous owner on a weekend away sounds a little Anne-ish to me.

Interesting! I, too, wonder why the ghost didn't make itself known to your family. Hmmm...
Laura

Users Online
Currently online: 11 members 189 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: