Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
TarHeelGirl00
0 Kudos

Are there any current sitcoms that you especially like?

I have become a fan of The Neighbors on ABC starring Jami Gertz.  It is very funny and quite different from anything else I have seen lately.  Does anyone else watch it and are there any other current sitcoms that you enjoy?

Contributor
SoccerGal_94

Re: Are there any current sitcoms that you especially like?

Let's see....

Big Bang - probably my favorite right now!

The Middle

Modern Family

The Neighbors (my husband does not get this show at all!)

Suburgatory

Castle - yes, I consider this a comedy/drama

~J
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

I watch:

Big Bang Theory

Two and a Half Men

Modern Family

The Office

Hot in Cleveland

Nothing new, though...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Ryan_G

I'll watch Hot in Cleavland, but never rush to do so.  I'm not a hug fan of most sitcoms, especially new ones.  I tried watching New Girl and Happy Endings, but never got that much into them.

I find myself prefering older sitcoms.  I recently started watching Maude, which I had never seen before, and I love it.  I also watch The Jeffersons, Amen, Threes Company, Desinging Women, The Golden Girls, The Nanny, and Gilligan's Island, when I find them on TV.

Kind of sad really, I"m only 36, but I prefer olders shows.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Scribe
TarHeelGirl00
0 Kudos

I agree that Big Bang Theory is one of the better sitcoms on today.  Other than The Neighbors, I also like The Middle and Suburgatory.  I have still been watching The Office, but am glad this is its last season.  I'm not sure if the writers have just ran out of material or what, but it has really gone downhill. 

As far as the old sitcoms, I love them too and some of them can't be beat.  I find that the case with movies as well.

dulcinea3

Ryan_G wrote:

I'll watch Hot in Cleavland, but never rush to do so.  I'm not a hug fan of most sitcoms, especially new ones.  I tried watching New Girl and Happy Endings, but never got that much into them.

I find myself prefering older sitcoms.  I recently started watching Maude, which I had never seen before, and I love it.  I also watch The Jeffersons, Amen, Threes Company, Desinging Women, The Golden Girls, The Nanny, and Gilligan's Island, when I find them on TV.

I usually catch Hot in Cleveland on On Demand, although sometimes I watch it while it's on.  Great cast!  Since you like The Nanny, do you ever watch Happily Divorced?  I've seen a few, but don't watch it regularly.  I tried Happy Endings, too, and it's ok, but I'm not crazy about it.  Too much of a Friends retread.

Of course, old sitcoms are great!  I couldn't even begin listing all the ones I have watched over the years.  In reruns, it depends on what the channels are showing at the moment at convenient times.  Right now I'd say I most often manage to catch Everybody Loves Raymond, and That 70's Show (I love that one!), and the occasional Facts of Life.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I've tried to watch Happily Divorced but just can't seem to get into that much.  I'm not sure why, but I guess I'm just not a sitcom fan, at least not of what's out today.

dulcinea3 wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

I usually catch Hot in Cleveland on On Demand, although sometimes I watch it while it's on.  Great cast!  Since you like The Nanny, do you ever watch Happily Divorced?  I've seen a few, but don't watch it regularly.  I tried Happy Endings, too, and it's ok, but I'm not crazy about it.  Too much of a Friends retread.

Of course, old sitcoms are great!  I couldn't even begin listing all the ones I have watched over the years.  In reruns, it depends on what the channels are showing at the moment at convenient times.  Right now I'd say I most often manage to catch Everybody Loves Raymond, and That 70's Show (I love that one!), and the occasional Facts of Life.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas

TarHeelGirl00 wrote:

I have become a fan of The Neighbors on ABC starring Jami Gertz.  It is very funny and quite different from anything else I have seen lately.  Does anyone else watch it and are there any other current sitcoms that you enjoy?

Big Bang and Modern Family!

It's time for How I Met Your Mother to die a merciful death.  Several seasons were excellent, but then they began throwing in things like Marshall's father's death and having babies, and kinda spoiled everything. 

Jeff   

Scribe
TarHeelGirl00

Jefferson_Thomas wrote:

TarHeelGirl00 wrote:

It's time for How I Met Your Mother to die a merciful death.  Several seasons were excellent, but then they began throwing in things like Marshall's father's death and having babies, and kinda spoiled everything. 

Jeff   

Totally agree!  And don't forget about all that Robin Sparkles nonsense!

Wordsmith
Jefferson_Thomas
0 Kudos

TarHeelGirl00 wrote:

Jeff   

Totally agree!  And don't forget about all that Robin Sparkles nonsense!

Hear, hear!  It was funny the first time; after that, not so much!

Jeff

Contributor
myykuul

How to Live With Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)
:-)
Distinguished Wordsmith
Intrigued_by_Romance

I like The Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men, and Rules of Engagement
Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady

TarHeelGirl00 wrote:

I agree that Big Bang Theory is one of the better sitcoms on today.  Other than The Neighbors, I also like The Middle and Suburgatory.  I have still been watching The Office, but am glad this is its last season.  I'm not sure if the writers have just ran out of material or what, but it has really gone downhill. 

As far as the old sitcoms, I love them too and some of them can't be beat.  I find that the case with movies as well.

I just discovered The Big Bang Theory this year, and I'm loving it!  Hope Bob Newhart gets nominated and wins for being "Professor Proton"!

Contributor
myykuul

I've also started catching up with Arrested Development on Netflix, which is amazing.

Portlandia is also worthwhile for writing, etc.

Scribe
TarHeelGirl00
0 Kudos

Redcatlady wrote:

TarHeelGirl00 wrote:

I just discovered The Big Bang Theory this year, and I'm loving it!  Hope Bob Newhart gets nominated and wins for being "Professor Proton"!

Glad you are enjoying it.  The reruns are shown back-to-back often on TBS, so that's a good way to catch up on prior seasons. 

Scribe
TarHeelGirl00
0 Kudos

myykuul wrote:

I've also started catching up with Arrested Development on Netflix, which is amazing.

Portlandia is also worthwhile for writing, etc.

I don't have Netflix, so I haven't seen the new season, but all of the previous seasons were great! I also heard they would like to do a movie.

Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady

TarHeelGirl00 wrote:

Redcatlady wrote:

TarHeelGirl00 wrote:

Glad you are enjoying it.  The reruns are shown back-to-back often on TBS, so that's a good way to catch up on prior seasons. 

Yaaay! Newhart just got nominated for Guest Appearance in a Comedy!  Newhart for the win!

Redcatlady

Inspired Contributor
havenwynters

Big Bang Theory

Twisted

Hot in Cleveland

The Exes

Frequent Contributor
Redcatlady

Redcatlady wrote:

TarHeelGirl00 wrote:

Redcatlady wrote:

TarHeelGirl00 wrote:

Yaaay! Newhart just got nominated for Guest Appearance in a Comedy!  Newhart for the win!

Redcatlady

NEWHART WON HIS FIRST EMMY!!!!

Scribe
TarHeelGirl00

Redcatlady

NEWHART WON HIS FIRST EMMY!!!!

Way to go Professor Proton!  Definitely deserves it----and at 84 years old!!!!