Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
twilightfann

Broadway

I figured I'd make this thread so we can all talk about the broadway plays / musicals we've seen. I haven't seen a ton since I'm only 16, but I have watched a few. I've been to Wicked, Mama Mia, and The Phantom of the Opera. I absolutely LOVED Wicked, but it was just soo different from the book by Gregory Maguire. Mama Mia was one of those really fun, dance in your seat kind of musicals. The Phantom of the Opera has a lot of my favorite songs in them, so I really enjoyed that show. Technically, I haven't seen Guys and Dolls, but I played Adelaide in our musical this spring. I wish I could have been in the "Sit down you're rockin' the boat" scene because that was my favorite number =) What shows have you guys been to ?

The persons of their world lived in an atmosphere of faint implications and pale delicacies, and the fact that he and she understood each other without a word seemed to the young man to bring them nearer than any explanation would have done.
-The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
Wordsmith
CaLaMiTyPLeAsE
0 Kudos

Re: Broadway

oh my god, i love phantom of the opera, we did that for our finale piece in my choir's spring show and it was like awe inspiring breathtaking amazingness!!

and i was Adelaide too!! except during Adelaides lament i got stage fright and forgot my words on 'you can spray her whereever you figure the strep to cocci lurk' and so i did a fake sneeze then kept going, it was like horrifying.

and i've done Mulan, and i was an ancestor, and it sucked cuz if youve ever seen mulan on stage, the ancestors are out for the whole frieken play, like seriousl we never went back stage. and i was soooo dying like i had to friken pee the whole time, cuz the play is like three hours, and i was just out there the whole time!

step through my looking glass at calamityplease.blogspot.com and it'd be ever so thoughtful and kind of you to follow me. :smileywink: Also I have a new contests of sorts on said blog concerning THE VAMPIRE ACADEMY by Richelle Mead. So check it out.
Correspondent
JennGrrl
0 Kudos

I've seen quite a few wonderful shows.  I was lucky enough to see the first run of RENT actually on Broadway, as well as Bring in Da Noise Bring in Da Funk with Savion Glover while I was on a trip to NYC.  Most people know what RENT is, but if you've never had a chance to check out Bring in Da Noise, try and find it somewhere, or at least some of the music.  It's black history beginning with the capture and transport of slaves to America on ships.  It's amazing!

I've seen Phantom a few times, and loved it all but once...a cry baby version of Phantom I saw in Toronto, Canada was AWFUL!, but other than that it's been wonderful.

I've seen others, but those are probably the best I've seen.  I would seriously suggest trying to get your hands on something from Bring in Da Noise.  If you can at least find some of the music, and think about the fact that the beats/percussion you're hearing are most times taps...since the entire thing is tap dancing...it's amazing.

Inspired Scribe
_mOonSeeKer_
0 Kudos

I haven't watched any broadway shows..:smileysad:
http://whisperinglostwords.blogspot.com
Inspired Correspondent
passi0nate_1
0 Kudos

im 15 and saw my first  play when i was 9 or 10 on my mom's birthday. I saw Beauty and the Beast and it was pretty awsome, especially since we were in the second or third row from the stage.I think that was the only broadway play I've seen since then.
Music is the cure.
I am the addiction.
Inspired Scribe
_mOonSeeKer_
0 Kudos

oh, I remember now..I've watched "The Little Mermaid", back when I was still a kid..I think it's awesome..:smileyhappy:
http://whisperinglostwords.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
RichardPapen
0 Kudos

My first Broadway show was FALSETTOS (with Mandy Patinkin), back in the early 1990's.  It was a wonderful introduction to Broadway!  Since then I've seen RENT, PUTNAM COUNTY SPELLING BEE, WICKED, THE COLOR PURPLE and HAIRSPRAY, as well as a couple of off-Broadway shows.  I'm hoping for another trip to NYC within the coming year!

New User
ClaireElizabethP
0 Kudos

I LOVE broadway shows!

I've seen Rent and Chicago on Broadway and it was awesome! I can't wait to go back and see more.

I've also seen Wicked and Grease but just here in my hometown. They were really good too though!

Heart we will forget him, you and I tonight....Emily Dickenson
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Back in college, I lived in NYC for 4 months while I worked an internship for the American Symphony Orchestra.  I took that opportunity to see a few shows, but sadly, I've not had the opportunity since I've entered "real life."

I've seen, "Miss Saigon," "Phantom of the Opera" (in Toronto, actually), and twice I saw The Who's "Tommy."  This was way back in 1994.  I have been in the pit for "Carousel," "The Bartered Bride," "Tosca," "Into the Woods," and "Mikado."  I LOVED "Tosca," and it was the first opera I played the pit.  I have also seen live productions of "Die Fledermaus" and "Hansel & Gretel."  Some might think opera is boring, but I LOVE it and have loved it since high school.

Of course, I've seen lots of Broadway shows made into movies, such as "Chicago," "Sound of Music," "The King and I," "Oklahoma," "Sweeny Todd," and many others.  My husband and I are currently obsessed with anything by Sondheim.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Correspondent
kellybeans

[ Edited ]

My favorite play that I've seen would have to be "The Phantom of the Opera" because it was just so amazing, plus it was the only play I've seen in New York. Although, I also loved "Wicked", "The Lion King", "Mama Mia", "Spring Awakening," and "Honk!"(All of which I saw in Boston.)

A few days ago, I went with my high school theater group to see "In The Heights", and it was such a good play that made you want to dance in your seat. I loved all of the characters, and the plot was really, really good. I definitely recommend seeing it!

And, of course, I've seen a lot of the movie versions of the plays. "Hairspray" was really good (Nikki Blonsky's voice really shined in that one.) But, I was disappointed with the movie adaptation of "Mama Mia" - the male lead roles in the movie were kind of blah when it came to vocals. "Rent" and "The Phantom of the Opera" were also good movies.

"We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it. That's all."
-The Breakfast Club