Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
MichaelN
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Hello community,

There are, of course, multiple boards on B&N that we may already know each other from, but I think it would be a good idea for us to introduce ourselves here, on the Arts & Entertainment board.

So jump in and tell us who you are, and maybe about one of your favorite all-time movies, or albums, or TV shows.

For example, for me the greatest singer of all-time is Michael McDonald of The Doobie Brothers... just kidding. Actually one of my favorite albums of all-time is "After the Goldrush" by Neil Young. I never get tired of listening to it, especially with a bottle of wine and the rain.

MN
Wordsmith
twilightfann
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hey everyone, I'm Kelly. My favorite movie of all time would be The Phantom of the Opera or Across the Universe. I love pretty much all rock music & michael buble (random, I know) and as far as tv goes, I'm addicted to Lost.
The persons of their world lived in an atmosphere of faint implications and pale delicacies, and the fact that he and she understood each other without a word seemed to the young man to bring them nearer than any explanation would have done.
-The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Hi I'm Ryan.  I'm a Leo and I enjoy long walks on a beach while drinking tea and playing scrabble in my head.

My favorite movies are too many to list in a introduction.  My favorite acresses of all time is Rosalind Russell.  My favorite TV is Buffy the Vampire Slayer and my favorite singers are once again too many to list here.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

Well, Ryan, I guess now I know why we get along - I'm a Leo, too!

I'm Denise, but people round here tend to call me Dulcie.  My favorite movie is The Wizard of Oz, my favorite groups are The Beatles, Genesis, Queen, and Heart, and I don't know if I can choose a favorite TV show.  I do watch TV a lot!  Well, I try to never miss Jeopardy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

I'm Melissa and I moderate the "Literature by Women" board here on BNBC.  I also sell books.  True story.

Favorite singers/groups: Sarah Brightman, Josh Groban, Yo-Yo Ma, Renee Fleming (I've met her and she's the nicest person EVER), Joshua Bell, The 5 Browns, Metallica (old-school Metallica not the newer stuff), and Janet Jackson (shut-up, I liked her studio album)

Favorite TV shows: I don't watch much because I'm never home during prime-time but X-files, Numb3rs, and Criminal Minds (yup, I'm a geek)

Favorite movies:  All-time favorite is Sixteen Candles, but also Star Wars IV-VI, Empire Records, Animal House, You've Got Mail, The Third Man, and Gosford Park

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My name is Jon, in addition to be a community manager here at BN.com I make electronic music under the name Disparition which I always release for free.

I listen to a wide variety of music including pop, rock, hiphop, and a lot of different traditional musics from around the world but by and large the bulk of what I listen to is electronic, industrial, and experimental music.   My favorite artist of all time is Brian Eno.

My favorite movie I would say is Ronin  . 

Oh and I'm a Libra :smileywink:

Message Edited by Jon_B on 06-26-2009 10:08 AM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Welcome Michael, I like the way Ryan introduced himself..I'm aVirgo..Love Hiking,and reading,and Music is a huge part of my life...From Lauren Hill,to Bach,but my first love is Jim Morrison,2nd love,Lenny Kravitz and love reading about New  Music on this board....Its great that so many age groups are here,I am always open to New Artists....I wish you well,and look forward to your humor....Love this Board,VermontCozy(S)
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
mamiesmith
0 Kudos

I am Mamie Smith - teacher, business woman and Mom.

I have been a contributor on Barnes and Noble for approximately a year.  Most of my contributions are on " Religion and Spirituality."  Occasionally, I break out of the mode.  I wrote my first book: The Unfolding of a Rose.  Check it out here on Barnes and Noble or my blog:

http://theunfoldingofarose.wordpress.com/category/religion-spirituality/

New User
Candace-Jenal
0 Kudos

Hey Guys!

My name's Candace,24 years old,residing in New England. I enjoy Reading,cooking,shopping,fairies,vintage,spending time with loved ones,etc.

I love Francesia Lisa Blocks books. And my fave titles include:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower.

Weetzie Bat.

Alice in Wonderland.

Valley of the Dolls,etc.

Hoping to meet new people here!

"There is a Light that never goes out"-The Smiths
Frequent Contributor
mamiesmith
0 Kudos

Hi Jon,

I see you were born in October, so was I.  You have a wide range of tastes for music.  I majored in  vocal music, taught it in the public schools, and sang classical music in numerous choirs.  I also did a bit of solo professional work. 

What do you think about all of the stuff going on with the "King of Pop?"

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi Marnie,Just to put my.25,Since I get all my Hard Core News from the BBC,VPr and NPR,I have no problem with the coverage of MJ.minus his "Father" and Al Sharpton,he was a wonder person,and gave so much of himself..I think we will be kept informed for a very long time time about MJ..rightfully so...Vtc
Contributor
BookBabeVT
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

I'm new here but I'm loving the B&N message boards...I don't know why I resisted them for so long

I live in Vermont..Am a Wife of 25 years (next week), a Mom, and Grandma to a 2-year-old little boyI love to read in addition to spending time with my family.  

Favorite movies: Legally Blonde, Shawshank Redemption, Amadeus, Almost Famous, A Few Good Men..just to name a few. I really enjoy watching movies with my husband.

Favorite music: Pink Floyd, Linkin Park, Foo Fighters, Journey, ZZ Top, and a lot of random stuff from the 70s, 80s, and 90sAbout the only type of music I can't deal with is Jazz...It seems to really stress me out

Favorite TV: So You Think You Can Dance, Wife Swap, Top Chef, Clean House, Friends, House...I'm really into observing people and human nature so reality TV catches my attention.

Shawna

p.s. I'm a Sagittarius :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by BookBabeVT on 07-03-2009 12:25 AM
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Dear Mamie.I am sorry I spelled your name incorrectly,I just caught that after going through some posts.  Happy 4th,Vtc
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Welcome..Another Vermonter,amazing..I know we are a small state(the best state),have not seen or heard from another until I saw your post...My introduction is on this thread,.Music is a big part of my life,and appreciate your pic's..everyone has posted at least 10 Artists that I have not heard of,so its always an adventure,,,Any help that you might need,we are all very helpful..Have a Good 4th,Vtc
Contributor
BookBabeVT
0 Kudos

Hi Vtc,

I've lived here for about 9 years and I really Love it here a lot. Sometimes when I look around I feel like I live in a postcard. It is good to see another Vermonter here too and I've really enjoyed poking around here on the boards.  

For me, there is such a strong tie between all the arts that it is hard not to think about them as a whole; all intertwinedI am definitely a Lyrics person so a lot of my choices have to do with what is being "said" to me. What is really awesome is when a musician has the ability to make his/her instrument do their talking for them...It can be so visceral; So Sublime

Hope you have a great 4th too...And, Everybody else!! 

Shawna 

Contributor
BookBabeVT
0 Kudos

Hi Candace,

Another New Englander! 

One of my Daughter's favorite books is The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I wonder if it is something I'd like - what is it that attracts you to it?  

Shawna 

Contributor
BookBabeVT
0 Kudos

Hi Mamiesmith,

You've definitely had a life full of music! My mother played violin in the Denver symphony when I was a kid and then moved on to mainstream stuff in the 70s.  I've basically grown up with some form of music or another present. 

MJ: It is a sad story.  He had such an impact in the music world and no matter what you thought of him as person (especially in his later years), you can't deny that he made a difference. The world of Music/Dance was greatly inspired by him and will continue to be for a long, long time. 

Inspired Scribe
_mOonSeeKer_
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Arvie..I love reading and write poems..I also love music - country and pop - and plays violin and piano. I'm 13 years old but I'll be turning 14 this september 10.. I've been here since last month, but mostly I'm in the "Teen Reads" and "Writing Room". :smileyhappy:
http://whisperinglostwords.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
mamiesmith
0 Kudos

Hello There,

Welcome to Arts and Entertainment!  Only recently have I begun to write on this board.  I did a post on "Michael Jackson: World Composition."  I was moved by the entire Jackson Story.

I am a musician, business woman and writer.  My first and only book is "The Unfolding of a Rose."  I live in Michigan.  If you are ever here, look up my boutique in the heart of downtown Detroit-- Rio Boutique.

Happy writing!

Mamie Smith

Inspired Correspondent
Jacki_S_93
0 Kudos

Hi im Jacki

I guess im not really into alot of things that you all are in, im still in highschool but i saw the title of arts and was like YES im there haha

Music is my life it comsumes me i play in the band at my school i play flute and its amazing we have almost forty hours a week of band its awesome

I also play the piano i took lessons when i was little but saddly stopped now i have re taught myself how to and i must say i love it!!

So that's it, i don't have too many friends outside of band since it takes up our lifes i must say i don't have much of a life since im in band but thats okay haha since i LOVE IT!!

haha

J.

We are all a little wierd and life's a little wierd, and when we find someone whose wierdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual wierdness and call it love