Frequent Contributor
MichaelN
0 Kudos

Joss Whedon Rumored to Direct the Marvel Comics Avengers Movie

According to Variety, and some of the comic book news sites, Marvel is about to sign Joss Whedon on as director of the very anticipated Avengers superhero movie (possibly 2012).

The movie would star all the stars of the recent Marvel comics movies, including the upcoming Thor movie directed by Kenneth Brannagh, the Captain America movie (starring Chris Evans), Samuel Jackson and Robert Downey Jr. from Iron Man, and possibly Ed Norton from The Hulk.

That's pretty ambitious. What do the comic book nerds have to say about the news? Whedon is a long time favorite for many "geeky" fans.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer - The Chosen Collection

MN
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Joss Whedon Rumored to Direct the Marvel Comics Avengers Movie

Not good news. Comic movies do not cheese. And Whedon can't make any thing with out cheese.

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

I'm intrigued. Whedon certainly knows how to handle big ensemble casts, and since most of the money will likely be going to visual effects and star salaries, Whedon is probably coming cheap(er) than a lot of other directors Marvel could have gone with.

The only thing that worries me — and it would worry me regardless of who was behind the camera — is how to meld together all these different heroes who've been in separate films with markedly different tones. Iron Man was a lot of fun, while The Incredible Hulk was a bit more angsty (though certainly more fun than the Ang Lee version), and while we haven't seen either yet, I'm expecting Joe Johnston's Captain America to be pretty straightforward, and Kenneth Branagh's Thor to be big, loud, and Shakespearean. How you make them all fit in one movie without them stepping on each other too much?

TiggerBear wrote:

Not good news. Comic movies do not cheese. And Whedon can't make any thing with out cheese.

Could you clarify what you mean by "cheese"?

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

JL_Garner wrote:

I'm intrigued. Whedon certainly knows how to handle big ensemble casts, and since most of the money will likely be going to visual effects and star salaries, Whedon is probably coming cheap(er) than a lot of other directors Marvel could have gone with.

The only thing that worries me — and it would worry me regardless of who was behind the camera — is how to meld together all these different heroes who've been in separate films with markedly different tones. Iron Man was a lot of fun, while The Incredible Hulk was a bit more angsty (though certainly more fun than the Ang Lee version), and while we haven't seen either yet, I'm expecting Joe Johnston's Captain America to be pretty straightforward, and Kenneth Branagh's Thor to be big, loud, and Shakespearean. How you make them all fit in one movie without them stepping on each other too much?

TiggerBear wrote:

Could you clarify what you mean by "cheese"?

(raised eyebrow) Cheese as in cheesy. ....Not serious, not funny, not real, a bit off, and a bit stupid.

Yes I sure he was cheaper. But just as Daredevil was so bad it put comic movies back 3 movies away from being good. I fear he pull the same crap he does in his own stuff. Buffy/Angel- the stupid vampire faces changes, the monsters look rather plastic...

Serenity- monsters look plastic, oh let's not use physics....

and his let's all follow the girl who don't have the muscles around and pretend she can actually kill butt. Am I the only one tired of watching the 90lb 5'2' woman fighting as if she was 220 and 6'2"?

Even his so called humor is cheesy.

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Everything you hate about Whedon is what makes his shows work for me.