Distinguished Wordsmith
Carmenere_lady

Re: Literarily Lost TV Show

I'm so happy that I discovered your post.  I recently included the Lost series in my netflix queu and when I get them I will pay special attention to the literary references.  Here's just one more reason why my TBR pile will expand and eventually implode:smileywink:
Star_Gazer wrote:
I have been watching Lost TV show from the first episode.  I didn't find out how bookcentric it was until recently.  I just bought the first recommended book Island by aldous huxley, and I can't believe how many parallels there are to the show.  I am only up to chapter 5 but they are talking about stations, faith versus science, and a station that makes insecticde as a cover for making nerve gas (think the purge).  I read that the tie in for this book was in the pilot episode there was a sign near a dock that read Pala Island (name of island in the book)  I don't recall this?  Anyone familiar or read this book?

Lynda

"I think of literature.....as a vast country to the far borders of which I am journeying but will never reach."
The Uncommon Reader

"You've been running around naked in the stacks again, haven't you?"
"Um, maybe."
The Time Traveler's Wife

It is with books as with men; a very small number play a great part.
Voltaire
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman

Re: Literally Lost TV Show

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was Flann O'Brien's The Third Policeman that kicked started the literary references in Lost? I remember the sales of the book shooting through the roof after that episode aired.
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

I think you are right with that one. I haven't read that one is it any good & does it have any relevance to the show like the other posted said the Island does. I think it's interesting how they are weaving in details from other sources little easter eggs for the fans to find. I wonder if we read all of these books would be be able to figure out the end game for the show?

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

I think you are right with that one. I haven't read that one is it any good & does it have any relevance to the show like the other posted said the Island does. I think it's interesting how they are weaving in details from other sources little easter eggs for the fans to find. I wonder if we read all of these books would be be able to figure out the end game for the show?

Reader 2
kokowillis

Here's something to think about... why are Ben and Sun not with the rest of the group in '77.  Maybe because you can only be in one time.  If there is a little Ben running around with sandwiches for Sayid, maybe there's a little Sun.  Maybe Chang's daughter? 

I love all the literary referances on the show.  Most go over my head but I especially loved all the Wizard of Oz references back when Ben first came 'round.  Calling himself Henry Gale was great!  Uncle Henry... Dorothy Gale.  Loved it!

Sawyer was reading Judy Blume!?  That's hysterical.  I haven't read it since junior high so I should pick it up again.

As for the Skate and Suliet nonsense... that's my least favorite part of the show.  I can't stand Kate or Juliet or Jack so I don't really care about their sixth grade love triangle.  Sawyer however, that man deserves a good woman!

Contributor
Star_Gazer
0 Kudos

That has been bothering me too about Sun, Ben, and Lapidus.  I wonder how they can get back to the 70s.  Will they be able to turn the wheel?  Also, what happened to Rose and Bernard?  Will they meet up with them.  I also hope they don't make us wait until the season finale to find out what happened to Des, Penny, and baby Charlie.

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

I read somewhere that the reason that the Lapidus & Sun did not flashback was because they were not invited back not sure if that's the case or not. We know that Locke did not invite them back (as well as not inviting Ben back) so it may be that since Locke was/is the leader.

It also could be that they are not needed to go back, but they may be on thier way since Christian said that it will take a while to get to them. I'm also wondering where the rest of the left behinders (background people & Rose & Bernard) are in "time" one thing I read was that maybe Rose & Bernard are "Adam & Eve" the couple that Kate & Jack/Sawyer found in that cave?

Also who really doesn't want to know where Faraday is and what happened to Des, Penny & little Charlie? Did Ben get his butt kick by Widmore goons keeping watch over the 3 or did Ben get to her & now Des has to come back (w/Charlie no less). Guess we'll have to wait & watch.

Frequent Contributor
Lmfwhite

Re: Books on Lost

What a great idea to have a thread on literary references in Lost!  I have been a Lost fan since day 1 but like many others, just this year realized how much literary and historical references there are.  It would be great if we could come up with a list of all literary references in Lost (though having Sawyer's "reads" is wonderful start!!)

What comes to mind is "THE PRINCE" that was made reference to several times when the network plays the "enhanced versions" of each episode with the explanations at the bottom of the screen.  Also "Ulysses" that Ben was reading on the plane as they were going back to the island.  Anyone remember anything else?

Also, if you are obsessed with Lost like I am and like to read about each episode, there is a great website that has recaps, theories, discussions, humorous insights, and videos on each episode.

www.ew.com/ew/package/0,,1550612,00.html

Contributor
Star_Gazer

Hello,  If you go to wikipedia they have a listing of all the books that are referenced in the show.  They even show what was on Jack's shelf in his office, Ben's shelf, and every book that was ever used to come up with something from the show.  I'm glad you like the post!:smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
Lmfwhite

Star_gazer:  Thanks for the Wilkipedia reference....I'm going to check it out now!
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

I've read the EW stuff that's where they mention a lot of the books and the parts that they play in the show they did quite a lot on "The Little Prince" & Ulysses by Joyce. It's like the writers are planting little clues to the show by dropping these books into the show. What I like about this show is that it is an active watching show. You never know what one little thing they have will result in something big.

When Hurley & Sawyer were in new otherland before the leaping started they were playing the game Risk and mentioned that it all starts with or depends on Australia (which is where 815 took off from). Just little things like that the interesting thing is if you go back & watch some of the older shows you go oh now I get it & see things that now make so much more sense now that you are futher down the road. Just can't wait for the end to see how they wrap it all up.

Frequent Contributor
Lmfwhite

Carmenere_lady wrote:

I'm so happy that I discovered your post.  I recently included the Lost series in my netflix queu and when I get them I will pay special attention to the literary references.  Here's just one more reason why my TBR pile will expand and eventually implode:smileywink:

I'm going to try and wait until the end of the series before I go back and start watching them all over again.  Then, like you, I plan to pay special attention to literary references and like Diane32 just recently posted, it will be fun and interesting to notice all the little things/clues that were left for us to find.  I was hoping I could wait until all was answered before I started all over again!

Blogger
L_Monty

Lmfwhite wrote:
Also "Ulysses" that Ben was reading on the plane as they were going back to the island.  Anyone remember anything else?

Ulysses made me laugh when I saw it. Also the fact that Jack asked, "How can you read?" and Ben replied, "My mother taught me." You know, just lying about something for no reason whatsoever. You gotta love that.

The two books that leapt out at me were: The Brothers Karamazov, just about the best meditation on murder, guilt, faith, reason, family and free will that you can hope for in a novel. Locke gives that to Ben when Ben's a prisoner in the hatch as "Henry Gale." Then there's Valis, which I won't even bother describing myself (not really a spoiler at all):

While living in Santa Barbara, Philip Dick is experiencing a philosophical crisis brought about by a combination of amphetamine use, compulsively helping the wrong people and a deep sense that there is something very wrong with the world. After starting with a fairly typical section dealing with his problems with other people, women in particular, strange events begin to happen around him. He begins to see two realities overlaid on one another. One being the world as he knows it, the other a man named Thomas living in the Levant and speaking Koine Greek circa 60AD. Shortly after, he is hit in the head with a beam of pink light (he later said that if he had ever seen a laser, that's what he would have called it) that 'beamed' information to him. The pink light tells him that his son has a herniated intestine and will die within weeks if it is not treated. Even more shocking, after convincing the doctors to look at his son, it turns out that the laser was right.

During this time he begins writing his 'tractate' which is a commonplace book of amalgamated philosophies and concepts Dick had compiled in an attempt to explain this experience.

Locke gives this to another prisoner in season four. Can't remember who. Regardless, reading Valis is like watching LOST on mescaline. Pretty much every theme of time, knowledge and consciousness that the show raises can be found in there.

Also, for anyone wondering about that woman in the background behind Christian, it could easily be Charlotte or Claire. However, Emilie de Ravin is not on contract for this year because she's filming movies, so it might be Claire even if it doesn't look enough like Claire, hair-color wise. Also, the kind of light she's in could be affected the hair color. Regardless, here's a screencap of that scene.
Distinguished Correspondent
Joseph_F

PaulH wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was Flann O'Brien's The Third Policeman that kicked started the literary references in Lost? I remember the sales of the book shooting through the roof after that episode aired.

That  has been one of my favorite books for years, and I got annoyed when suddenly everyone assumed I had heard of it from Lost.

But in any case it's just an amazing little book if you have any patience at all for books that are more about magic tricks with language than any kind of logical plot.

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Thanks for the clip I'm guessing that they didn't want us to know who it was just like the did with Jacob when they showed him the first time in the cabin w/Locke. It's enough to get people to watch the show shot by shot.

As for the books see that's what I love about this show how they add all these little things in & how they add to the story and what they are trying to tell us. Also they are getting a lot of people to read these books that may never had read them if they weren't attached to the show. Their version of the Oprah Book Club I guess.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman

O'Brien was a terrific writer indeed and quite a character to boot. For more on Flann, I highly recommend the following:

Joseph_F wrote:

PaulH wrote:

That  has been one of my favorite books for years, and I got annoyed when suddenly everyone assumed I had heard of it from Lost.

But in any case it's just an amazing little book if you have any patience at all for books that are more about magic tricks with language than any kind of logical plot.

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Spoiler Alert for anyone who has not watched last nights show - okay I warned you!!!!

OMG, OMG, OMG Sayid shoots 12yr old Ben????? What the ?????? My only thought is that he's not really dead. You didn't see any blood could it be that the Island can't let Ben be killed like Michael could not be killed before his time no matter how hard he tried.

Okay so while that was a stunner another great show. Who did not laugh when Hurley & Jack let Kate know that Sawyer was w/Juliet - loved Hurley's line - Who didn't see that one coming :smileyvery-happy: what a great line made me laugh. Poor dumb Kate.

Oh & that guy who gave Sayid the from what it looked like LSD (wasn't he one of the Darryls from Newhart? anyway). Great line from Sawyer (LeFleur) when Sayid asks who that guy is & he says he's our you.

Oh & Sawyer-LeFleur is almost given up but luckily Radzinsky says who cares who Sawyer is. Oh & when Sayid says that he is from the future the guy said oops maybe I should have used 1/2 a dropper that was a good one.

So two questions what was the book that Ben gave Sayid I couldn't read the cover & do you think that Ben's dead?

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

And another thing what was the deal w/Horace's wife saying something about how are they to protect their children w/Sayid still around made me thing that she was setting this up that she knows more then what she is letting on.

Also I really want to know why Kate came back she never got to tell Sawyer.

Great quotes from the show

Sawyer to Jack- 3 years no burning buses & you're back for 1 day

Hurley talking about Saywer & Juliet being a couple - Yeah like who didn't see that coming?

Sayid & the guy who gave him the 'LSD' like drug - Oops guess I should have used 1/2 a dropper & Sayid saying no you used the right amount & then laughing manically.

Sayid saying to Sawyer that he met a young Ben & Sawyer responding that yeah he's a little funny right

So was Sawyer in on getting Sayid out of there did he help little evil Ben (looking very Harry Potterish) or was he all on his own & where does Sayid run off to?

If Ben is dead what does that mean to the story? What happens to him in the present how does that change the past that already happened or does Jack save him again? Is Sayid the thing that causes children not to be allowed to be born on the island?

What does this mean for the other oceanic survivors?

Contributor
TVGAL242
0 Kudos

I played my DVR in slow-mo to see the name of the book Young Ben gives to Sayid (along with the chicken salad sandwich).

It's called: A Separate Reality: Further Conversations with Don Juan by Carlos Castaneda.

Here is the Synopsis from BN.com:

"A man of knowledge is free...he has no honor, no dignity, no family, no home, no country, but only life to be lived."—don Juan

In 1961 a young anthropologist subjected himself to an extraordinary apprenticeship to bring back a fascinating glimpse of a Yaqui Indian's world of "non-ordinary reality" and the difficult and dangerous road a man must travel to become "a man of knowledge." Yet on the brink of that world, challenging to all that we believe, he drew back.

Then in 1968, Carlos Castaneda returned to Mexico, to don Juan and his hallucinogenic drugs, and to a world of experience no man from our Western civilization had ever entered before.

Notice on the cover the man's face is obscured by a glowing white blur. I'm "lost" as to the significance of Young Ben giving this book to Sayid, so anyone with any ideas, please spill!

Contributor
TVGAL242
0 Kudos

Oh, and unlike Harry Potter, the kid playing Young Ben still creeps the bejesus out of me.