Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
TVGAL242

Re: Literally Lost TV Show

>>Oh & that guy who gave Sayid the from what it looked like LSD (wasn't he one of the Darryls from Newhart? anyway). Great line from Sawyer (LeFleur) when Sayid asks who that guy is & he says he's our you.

YES!!! I KNEW HE LOOKED FAMILIAR! :smileywink:

Contributor
TVGAL242

Perhaps the book doesn't really have any significance as far as [Creepy] Young Ben is concerned, but more so for Sayid. From the flashbook to when Sayid was a little boy and he killed the chicken b/c his brother was afraid to, we saw that his father was proud of him saying, At least one of you will be a man. (Paraphrased) In the book the author recounts "the difficult and dangerous road a man must travel to become 'a man of knowledge.'

Sayid has definitely travelled a difficult and dangerous road from his days as a torturer in Iraq to becoming an assassin for Ben.

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

I thought it had to be something by Carlos Castenada but wasn't sure of the title anyway from what you posted for the book I'm guessing this is Sayid's story he is a man w/out a country or family he's on his own & now we see that he was tripping on the dharma lsd :smileyvery-happy: so the book reference makes sense. Yeah little Ben is creepy man that kid has the grown-up Ben down pat.
Correspondent
Diane32

You bring up a good issue here that seems to be the common thread in the show DADDY ISSUES let's count all the people who had daddy issues:

Jack (domineering)

Kate (sleezy & abusive)

Sawyer (killed his mom & commits suicide)

Locke (steals his kidney)

Hurley (leaves the family)

Shannon (daddy's girl who died & left her at the hands of greedy Boone's mom).

Ben (is a drunk & abusive to him)

Sun (mobbed up)

Jin (poor man who the son is ashamed of)

Sayid (mean & abusive)

Walt (Michael let the mom take him away so absentee parent)

Penny (domineering/controling father

See a pattern here wonder if the writers are trying to get over something in their past w/all these daddy issues.

Do we see a pattern here?

Contributor
TVGAL242

Yes, he seemed to be enjoying the "trip" :smileywink:

And we saw Sayid in Santo Domingo trying to find peace and solace and make up for his past by building homes for the poor, only to be drawn back into the madness of the Island. Yet, he seems oddly at peace in that cell. Maybe the Island is his true home as well. 

From the book snyopsis:

Yet on the brink of that world, challenging to all that we believe, he drew back.

Contributor
Star_Gazer

On EW they said something about the book that little Ben gave Sayid.  They said it is the same book that locke gave Ben when he was a prisoner.  I might be wrong, I can't locate the article now.  I think the non-ordinary reality, knowledge (think vrs faith which always plays a role on the show) and hallucinagenic drugs tied into the lost plot/this episode.

But I really agree with how your theory of the basic plot of the book is Sayid in a nutshell.  I wasn't shocked at all that Sayid shot Ben.  I also don't think Ben is dead but the writers of the show mentioned that we will see what happens when the 815s mess with the timeline.  Maybe this is the first instance of it.

I want to read every single book that is in reference to the show.  So much to read, so little time...

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Well messing w/the timeline isn't that what drove poor dorky Daniel Faraday over the edge? I really want to know where he went. Is he in Ann Arbor & what did that have to do w/anything. Who were they contacting if they couldn't decide on Sayid?

Inspired Contributor
gegarland

Diane32 wrote:

Well messing w/the timeline isn't that what drove poor dorky Daniel Faraday over the edge? I really want to know where he went. Is he in Ann Arbor & what did that have to do w/anything. Who were they contacting if they couldn't decide on Sayid?

A previous episode showed Faraday as one of the Dharma Initiative workers as they were building a station on the island, so I assume he's still there but perhaps completely off his rocker. Hence Sawyer's comment about him not really being there. Ann Arbor is the location of the U. of Michigan, and the device Faraday's mom said they used to find the island looked liked some modified Foucault Pendulum. My guess would be that scientists at Michigan somehow stumbled onto an anomaly that allowed them to find the island,  decided to keep the info to themselves, and started the Dharma Initiative to investigate the island. This is the early 70's, after all; lot's of mistrust of the government at that time.

Alive, occupying space, and exerting gravitational force
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

I know that they showed Daniel working on one of the dharma projects but from what Sawyer said about him not "being here" made me thing that he went off his rocker & I was wondering if they moved him off the island like to Ann Arbor. I thought the dharma headquarters were on Seattle or somewhere out there from when they were recruiting Juliet.

I also want to know where Locke, Sue & Frank are & if Sayid did kill Ben what does that do to future Ben? How much can they change history? Like it's been said if you could go back in time & kill Hitler would/could you? Can you really change the past?

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B

I think Faraday said that they cannot really change anything when they are in the past.

My guess is that Ben does not die when Sayid shoots him - Richard probably comes to rescue him and bring him in to the Others.   In season 2 it seemed that Ben knew a lot more about the personalities some of the people from the Oceanic flight than he could have known simply from gathering information on them, and having known them when he was a child might explain that..

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
New User
Jeliss

Re: Literarily Lost TV Show

I'm finally on here!

So someone sent me this link at work and I thought you guys would find it funny, if you haven't seen it already. Enjoy!

http://www.umamimart.com/2009/03/um-reader-vol-048-special-lost-tribute.html

Contributor
TVGAL242

Hah!! Those were hilar! Especially:

Libby
1. Lay out plans for one of the most intricate, fascinating, and delicious sandwiches of all time
2. Just as you start making it, get shot

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

That nailed them all pretty well thanks for posting that link.

New User
valley_girlNYC

I agree that Ben being around some of the Oceanic survivors as a child gave him more insight into who they are.  And I think it will explain is fixation with Juliet. She may have to nurse him back to health after he's found shot or at some point during his adolescence he has more interaction with her and falls in love.
Contributor
Star_Gazer

I think this is better for Sayid's Peanut Butter Sandwich

1.  Place bread, peanut butter, and jelly over a camouflaged rope.

2.  Hide in the bushes.

3.  When unsuspecting victim comes over, spring trap, and suspend them in the air.

4.  Take victim to cave and tell them you will torture them until they make you a sandwich.

5.  After they make the sandwich, torture them anyway.

Contributor
TVGAL242

Valley_girlNYC wrote: I agree that Ben being around some of the Oceanic survivors as a child gave him more insight into who they are.  And I think it will explain is fixation with Juliet. She may have to nurse him back to health after he's found shot or at some point during his adolescence he has more interaction with her and falls in love.

AH!! So maybe future Ben manipulates/uses Sayid to do his dirty work because The Island won't let him get revenge on him any other way.

Correspondent
Diane32

That is a good thought. That maybe Ben is the way he is because of what they did to him as a child (like shoot him :smileyvery-happy:). I was reading on another site about tonights show & how it is a Kate episode & we'll find out why she came back & where Aaron is.

I think she left him w/the woman who had Sawyer's kid. She must know that Clementine is Sawyers (so maybe we'll find out what he said to her before he jumped from the helicopter) so she trusts her to keep him safe & away from everyone.

I think that Jack & Juliet will have to do surgery on him like they had to before & that the reason that they took Kate & Sawyer & Hurley before was that they play a part in all of this now. Either they give blood or something so that's why they were taken before by Ben.

Maybe that's why he had Kate to the lunch that one day to "repay" her for what she did for him as a child which he knew but she didn't.

My question is if he knows that this going back in time was going to happen why don't they know since it was the past. Too confusing for my mind :smileyvery-happy:

So any other theories as to what is going to happen tonight? If so share

Inspired Contributor
gegarland

Diane32 wrote:

My question is if he knows that this going back in time was going to happen why don't they know since it was the past. Too confusing for my mind So any other theories as to what is going to happen tonight? If so share

My guess is they will never actually try too hard to explain the time travel, but they appear to be using roughly the same approach as they are using in the Terminator show on Fridays. On TTSCC, the actions of the characters now do seem to change the future, but they don't change it enough to stop Skynet and Judgement Day from happening. Both John Connor and the Island seem to act like strange attractors (geeky sci/math reference, sorry) for the flow of time. Instead of time flowing in a smooth line from the past to the future, it keeps looping back on the attractor and whizzing off into the future again on perhaps a slightly different path. That would explain how Desmond "suddenly" remembers Faraday telling him to contact his mother, e.g. On the first loop through time Desmond and the Oceanic six escape from the island, but the next loop into the past is when Faraday contacts Desmond while he is still in the hatch.

Alive, occupying space, and exerting gravitational force
Contributor
Star_Gazer

Wow, someone else that watches Terminator!!  I get so nervous they are going to cancel the show.  Anyway, I think since the losties that currently crased on the Island hadn't actually been in the 70's yet, they can't remember it until after, so they would have to go back to current time to remember this now past memory.

Desmond didn't remember the Faraday meeting at the hatch until AFTER Faraday went back in time to make it happen.

I read the EW theory on tonights episode, and it was kinda upsetting. I know the guy is sometimes wrong in his theories, but if he is correct, HE JUST EXPLAINED THE ENTIRE SHOW which will make me really mad.  It would be a fitting ending, but IT WAS THE LAST EPISODE IN A NUTSHELL.  So, maybe everyone shouldn't read that one, unless you want to see why I am so mad.  I am not even going to post a link to it.  It is on EW.com.  I didn't watch any of the videos yet, but I will later.  I am too upset to watch anything now.  His ending theory would be the spolier of all spoliers!!!!!!!!

Frequent Contributor
Lmfwhite

Diane32 wrote:

OMG, OMG, OMG Sayid shoots 12yr old Ben????? What the ?????? My only thought is that he's not really dead. You didn't see any blood could it be that the Island can't let Ben be killed like Michael could not be killed before his time no matter how hard he tried.

Okay so while that was a stunner another great show. Who did not laugh when Hurley & Jack let Kate know that Sawyer was w/Juliet - loved Hurley's line - Who didn't see that one coming :smileyvery-happy: what a great line made me laugh. Poor dumb Kate.

Oh & that guy who gave Sayid the from what it looked like LSD (wasn't he one of the Darryls from Newhart? anyway). Great line from Sawyer (LeFleur) when Sayid asks who that guy is & he says he's our you.

I just watched last week's episode....was out of town so had to record it.  After my initial shock of Sayid shooting Ben, I thought the same thing.  No blood.....the island won't let Ben die.  But something from the previews for tonight's episode (4/1) mentioned that Ben was alive and had to be saved.........

How could Kate be so stupid (or arrogant?) to not notice that Sawyer and Juliet were together????

I played that line that Sawyer said to Sayid a few times and could not understand it!  Thanks for clarifying it for me....it is a GREAT line......good catch about "Daryl" from Newhart.  I thought he looked familiar and was trying to figure out where I saw him from a previous Lost episode.....that's what I love about this show.  Half the fun is figuring things out, making comments, and coming up with theories.