Frequent Contributor
Jon_B

Re: Literally Lost TV Show

He's also E.B. Farnum from Deadwood, and J.F. Sebastion from the 80's scifi movie Blade Runner.

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Inspired Contributor
gegarland

Continuing on the physics of time travel... one of the holy grails of physics is a quantum theory of gravity. All the other forces have quantum theories, and quantum physics is just plain weird. One of the weird ideas in quantum physics is the "Many Worlds" hypothesis. Q.P. makes predictions about the probably of observing something, and nobody knows how one particular event out of all the possible events to be observed gets chosen. The Many Worlds hypothesis explains this by postulating many universes where every possible event _does_ occur in one of them, the one we see at any given time just defines our path through all these possible universes. Gravity (i.e., Einstein's General Theory of Relativity) is the theory that describes space-time, not just space. Maybe the writers took a leap of logic and decided quantum gravity would mean Many Times, and not just Many Worlds. The Island is just a nexus where all these Many Times can be accessed. Perhaps that is why all the dead people keep reappearing. There is always a timeline out there where, e.g., Jack got to Australia in time to keep his father from drinking himself to death, or where Charlie

made out of the underwater station alive.

Alive, occupying space, and exerting gravitational force
Contributor
Star_Gazer

gegarland wrote:

Continuing on the physics of time travel... one of the holy grails of physics is a quantum theory of gravity. All the other forces have quantum theories, and quantum physics is just plain weird. One of the weird ideas in quantum physics is the "Many Worlds" hypothesis. Q.P. makes predictions about the probably of observing something, and nobody knows how one particular event out of all the possible events to be observed gets chosen. The Many Worlds hypothesis explains this by postulating many universes where every possible event _does_ occur in one of them, the one we see at any given time just defines our path through all these possible universes. Gravity (i.e., Einstein's General Theory of Relativity) is the theory that describes space-time, not just space. Maybe the writers took a leap of logic and decided quantum gravity would mean Many Times, and not just Many Worlds. The Island is just a nexus where all these Many Times can be accessed. Perhaps that is why all the dead people keep reappearing. There is always a timeline out there where, e.g., Jack got to Australia in time to keep his father from drinking himself to death, or where Charlie

Wow, Maybe you should post this on the EW site.  I think your theory is one of the best I have heard. 

Ok, I think the best part of last nights episode was Hurley and Miles going back and forth with their own theories of time travel.  It was the funniest thing ever!!!:smileyvery-happy:Hurley kept trying to trip Miles up, and finally at the end he did.

So, my question is did smokey "fix" little Ben, and is that why he is the way he is now?  Richard said he would be forever changed, and lose his innocence. 

The bigger questions, in the previous past before flight 815 when Richard took Ben did he take him to smokey.  Obviously this is something that happened before if you go by Faraday. 

I was right about  Kate taking the baby to be with his grandmother.  It was the right thing to do.  Boy is Sawyer's old girlfriend bitter.  She can't even let him have his hero moment for jumping off the helicopter.  I think he did it to save them, and not the reason she gave.

Very disapointed in Jack!!!!:smileymad:  Like Juliet said It is a child no matter what.

Last question, will Ben now remember Kate, and Juliet helping him?  And, Sayid shooting him?  Next week looks like a Ben episode.  I can't wait!!

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

This could be the alternate universe where Ben was good, & Sawyer was responsible but if they go back to the "real" world they would revert.

Don't keep reading if you didn't watch last night's show -

But at the end when Richard takes Ben from Kate & Sawyer he said this is what take's his innocence from him if the others save him what if Sayid made him what he is? If he hadn't shot him maybe he would have turned out better?

Also Roger is now the concerned father when he treats him like crap the rest of the time. Okay right.

I loved when Juliet gave it to Jack he's such an a$$ but I think part of why she's mad at him has to do w/the fact that Jack got engaged to Kate whether it's that she's mad he went to her like she thinks Sawyer will or that he didn't want her enough who knows at this point but she gave it to him good.

I see Kate, Juliet & Sawyer's point it's a KID not the adult & they can't let a kid suffer now not knowing Juliet's childhood we know that Kate & Sawyer didn't have the best childhood so that's why they feel for the kid.

Also if Kate is going back for Claire why hasn't she mentioned her since she got back to the island?

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

The time travel thing is interesting especially how Miles put it. How before time for them was in a straight line but now it's not since Ben turned the wheel. Now what did Locke do to time when he turned the wheel.

Also when Kate gave Ben to Richard one of the other others said what about Elle & Charles & Richard said I don't answer to them what does that mean? Where do they fit into this?

I have to agree that Miles & Hurley are the new Hurley& Charlie they are a hoot together.

As for Cassidy Sawyers ex & Clemintines mom yeah she is one bitter pill I mean she did get some revenge she put him in jail for god sake jeez. Yeah he I don't think he jumped cause he was afraid of what would happen for them I think he jumped since he finally had people who he cared about and wanted to do the right thing for those people to finally be the hero. Remember that happened after he killed Locke's dad who caused his parents death. He avenged his parents so he could let that all go.

He said to Kate that he grew up in those 3 years & it started w/that leap he made off the chopper and he has not looked back. Just like Juliet said to Jack that they didn't need them to save them they "saved" themselves & were just fine w/out them coming back

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

gegarland wrote:

Great post, alot of tv shows reference this dual /alternate world that runs along with the world that you are currently in but you are not aware of it. Can't remember where I read/heard this but I remember that someone had mentioned that this is why the "dead" (Christian, Claire??(is she dead), Boone, Dave (Hurley's friend from the menta hospital) have appeared to people on the island is it because time is moving & it moves into & out of time where these people were still alive so they can "come to life" during those moments.

The only thing that might hold up this point is that these appearances happened before Ben turned the wheel. (Thing we might need Sheldon & Leonard from The Big Bang Theory to explain this to me :smileyvery-happy:) I do also remember from the show Quantum Leap that Sam could only leap in his timeline of his own life he couldn't go back to a time he wasn't alive & that was the Quantum String theory (I think) where you could only go in & out of time that the string crossed. But since Ben turned the wheel is that what made the string break & cause the leaping thru out time? (Like Hiro did on Heroes).

Contributor
TVGAL242

Diane32 wrote:

The time travel thing is interesting especially how Miles put it. How before time for them was in a straight line but now it's not since Ben turned the wheel. Now what did Locke do to time when he turned the wheel.

Okay ep last night. Not as OMG as last week's but kudos to the writers for their huge wink to the audience and all of us bloggers and message boarders with the Miles/Hurley chat!

Especially loved Hurley's remark of "This is confusing" after Miles tried to explain to him that they can't change anything b/c this is what always happened; it's just that they never experienced it. To which Miles replied: "Well, get used to it." HAH! Loved!!

So we learn that "Experiences in the past and future occured before these experiences right now." Okay. Guess the writers are trying to tell us we know you all have theories and we'll acknowledge them, but that doesn't mean we'll make your brain hurt any less. Well, give us more of the "Miles & Hurley Show" as someone called it and our brains will be very happy.

A few things I found interesting: Jack refused to operate on Young [Creepy] Ben b/c he did it before for Kate (she wanted to save Sawyer) and Sawyer told Kate he came to help her take Young [Creepy] Ben to The Hostiles (Others) b/c Juliet asked him to. He did it for her, not Kate. Hmmm, how the tides have turned.

Also, when Richard takes Young [Creepy] Ben from Sawyer he tells him that Y [C] B will not remember what happened and he'll lose his innocence. What the heck did that mean??

Lastly, didn't that woman in the supermarket who claimed she was taking Aaron to have someone make an announcement look just like Claire from the back??

Well, now we know how Ben gets to The Others and why Kate returned to The Island. Next week looks more exciting -- Locke confronts Ben and Ben apparently makes to atone for his sins. Yeah, right. :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B

How did Miles know that Ben turned a wheel in order to "move the island" and cause the time jumps?  That wheel seemed to be in a chamber that was hidden and very difficult to reach and no one was there since he turned it - and Miles has been on the island since then and hasn't seen Ben again yet...

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Contributor
Star_Gazer

Jon_B wrote:

How did Miles know that Ben turned a wheel in order to "move the island" and cause the time jumps?  That wheel seemed to be in a chamber that was hidden and very difficult to reach and no one was there since he turned it - and Miles has been on the island since then and hasn't seen Ben again yet...

Very good point is this another rare snafoo by the writers?  I remember there was an error with the lotto ticket, and the error with Charlotte's age.  I just asked two people and one person thinks Locke said something to Faraday et al about him having to turn the wheel, but the other person agrees with me that Locke didn't know he had to turn the wheel until Christian told him.  He knew of the wheel, and that was how he was supposed to get off the island.  Oh well, I guess I will have to go back and watch that episode.

Ok, my thoughts about Jack, yes I am still upset that he didn't operate on little Benry.  Jack told Kate or Juliette  that he came back for his destiny, but he didn't know what it was yet.  What if that was his destiny to actually operate on little Ben.  IF he had operated on Ben, then he wouldn't have to have gone to Richard, and they wouldn't have "taken his innocence, and changed him forever."  He would have had the chance to be a good kid, his dad actually looked like he started to care, maybe that would have changed the time line for the better.

Contributor
TVGAL242

[ Edited ]

Star_Gazer wrote:

"taken his innocence, and changed him forever." 

I can't wait to find out what it is they do to him. Does Richard "age" him? Does The Island do something to him? Is his mind erased? Is he brainwashed to think he was always there? I assume what they do happens in that cave Richard went into. I'm a little worried. I don't like it.

Am I mistaken or was there a flash a light (like The Island was moving again) when Richard pushed through the cave door?

Message Edited by TVGAL242 on 04-02-2009 12:27 PM
Message Edited by TVGAL242 on 04-02-2009 12:34 PM
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B

Maybe I'm wrong... but I'm pretty sure that the cave Richard took Ben into is the same cave that the smoke monster comes from.  If that means anything..

Inspired Contributor
gegarland

Wasn't Miles with Locke and the others when Locke said they needed to go back to the Onion(?) station to fix the time jumping problem? I don't remember a specific scene where he was there and Locke said "Ben moved the Island", but Locke knew.

Regarding Ben's loss of "innocence" if the Others take him, I was thinking that maybe that defines what makes someone an Other. The conundrum the Many Worlds hypothesis was suppose to explain was the "collapse of the wave function" in quantum mechanics. Before you measure an event, every possible outcome is defined with a certain probability of happening with the quantum wave function. After you measure it, one of those outcomes becomes realized and is 100% certain and everything else is just gone. Maybe an Other is someone who comes from timeline that was not realized. This gets us back to Locke's mysticism versus Jack's hard science outlook. If Richard "heals" Ben by just grabbing a Ben that hadn't been shot from an unrealized timeline, maybe the pseudo-Ben somehow knows he isn't really supposed to be a part of the actual timeline. Perhaps the Others can somehow sense all those unrealized timelines where in some they make the "good" choices and in others they make "bad" choices. That would explain their amoral outlook and Ben's loss of innocence because they in some way know they are capable of both the best and the worst behavior. In a way they know they have already done both the best and the worst they could do in the "past".

Alive, occupying space, and exerting gravitational force
Contributor
Star_Gazer

Gegarland your theories fascinate me!!!

I was reading an ew article (their summary of last nights show.  I'm trying not to plagiarize) and they posed some things I had never thought of.  This one, blew me away!!!

"Could it be that Lost may have been intimating that Christian has a little more in common with Locke than a pair of shoes? What if Christian's death wasn't the result of a bad bender Down Under, as we've been led to believe? What if Christian was murdered — say, by a certain someone keenly interested in making sure Jack and all his castaways friends followed paths of destiny that led them straight to the Island? A certain someone whose name sounds a lot like Zen Sinus?"

Why this didn't cross my mind the instant Ben killed Locke I don't know. 

They also passed along this tidbit:

Ben had his lawyers go after Kate and asked for her blood type.  Weird that she was the correct blood type to donate to him.  Was he trying to confirm her type????

Previously they said Richard Alpert is like RA the sun god.  This goes with the whole thing about the Darma people having ankhs (a tau cross with a loop at the top, used as a symbol of generation or enduring life)   Little baby Ethan's dead daddy had one around his neck. 

Also, someone noticed the statue (maybe the 4 toe statue before it became just a foot) had pointy ears (like anubis - a jackal-headed god associated with mummification and the afterlife).  Also, in the episode where Ben lost his "daughter" and he called on smokey, weren't their heiroglyphs around the door in his place?

The psyhic put Claire on the plane.  The Hurley was researching the numbers and wound up on the plane.  Maybe Jack's Dad had to die to put him on the plane, and Ben could have done it?  Or could he? Yes, in a sub trip.

This was ew's summary of Richard:

"He is like an angel to be wrestled with and overcome, like a sphinx to be solved and beaten, and should you be successful, you get the keys to the kingdom, the Island, and as part of the deal, he serves you faithfully until someone else comes along and knocks you off the mountain."

There is always so much to think about after watching the show.  So many theories, so little time...

Contributor
Star_Gazer

Jon_B wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong... but I'm pretty sure that the cave Richard took Ben into is the same cave that the smoke monster comes from.  If that means anything..

You are correct!!! It means to me that old smokey is going to fix Ben.  Does he die like Locke and then come back?  Time will tell.
Frequent Contributor
Lmfwhite

Star_Gazer wrote:

Jon_B wrote:

I believe this is also the same cave that Ben referred to as "The Temple" when he was telling his daughter and boyfriend to escape to the "temple" where they would be safe from Charles freighter people.  They never made it there, though. But this is definitely the same cave where smoke monster lives......where Danielle's French companion lost his arm.

One question that I keep pondering.....in all of the flashbacks/flashforwards Richard looks the same.  Whether it was when Locke was a little boy, when the Oceanic plane crashed, when he's talking to Charles, etc. etc.  BUT when Richard first talks to little Ben, his hair is long and he looks different.  When he takes little Ben to the cave, he has the short hair again and looks like all the other times we have seen him.  How come he's changed appearances for that one time, but is constant all the others??

Contributor
Star_Gazer

[ Edited ]

Lmfwhite wrote:

Star_Gazer wrote:

Jon_B wrote:

I believe this is also the same cave that Ben referred to as "The Temple" when he was telling his daughter and boyfriend to escape to the "temple" where they would be safe from Charles freighter people.  They never made it there, though. But this is definitely the same cave where smoke monster lives......where Danielle's French companion lost his arm.

One question that I keep pondering.....in all of the flashbacks/flashforwards Richard looks the same.  Whether it was when Locke was a little boy, when the Oceanic plane crashed, when he's talking to Charles, etc. etc.  BUT when Richard first talks to little Ben, his hair is long and he looks different.  When he takes little Ben to the cave, he has the short hair again and looks like all the other times we have seen him.  How come he's changed appearances for that one time, but is constant all the others??

Wow, I didn't realize his appearance changed that time.  I wonder if it means something?  Was that the first time we saw Richard in an episode?  If so, it could just be that the actor cut his hair, and now they keep it the same for all shots to show that he doesn't change/age.

I read some more of the Island yesterday, and this is what interested me: "If we repeat it, she said, it's because it happens to be true.  If we didn't repeat it, we'd be ignoring the facts."

Doesn't this just make you think of this season?  Also, sounds like Faraday's Theory on time travel.  What happened happened (it's true), and we can't change it (that would be ignoring the facts).

That one little sentence just stood out to me.  The book right now (7 chapters in) seems to be about us versus them.  The us being Island folk, and the them being non island folk. 

The other thing that struck me is how they think of family structure.  You have your parents, and then you are given over to a MAC -  Mutual Adoption Club "Every MAC consists of anything from 15 - 25 assorted couples."  So basically, if your mom and dad are getting on your nerves you can go to your other mom and dads for as long as you want.  If your parents are basically flawed you get to choose how much time you spend with them, and can surround yourself with better people.

Ok, this made me think of the others stealing children.  Maybe it is because they can't have any, and maybe it is because the 815 people were flawed.  Rember their list?  Kate wasn't on the list.

I rewatch the episode last night where they found the station with the Russian.  He was being taken back to the other village so they could rescue Jack.  He told Kate and Sayid they weren't on the list because they were flawed.  Then he turned to Locke and he said "but you, I vagely remember you..."  It was like he was trying to say he knew Locke from the past, but Danielle cut him off (Darn you Danielle!!!!) 

I find that watching the old shows brings new insight.  I had forgotten that Claire's mom was in a comma, and she probably awoke from the coma after Claire's plane went down.  When Claire was talking to Sun on the beach she said my mom used to be a Librarian...  Claire thought her mom was dead.

Ok, those are my thoughts. I will read more this weekend, and say what I think.  The book is really trippy, but it is starting to get a hold on me.

Message Edited by Star_Gazer on 04-03-2009 08:35 AM
Message Edited by Star_Gazer on 04-03-2009 08:37 AM
Message Edited by Star_Gazer on 04-03-2009 08:37 AM
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

gegarland wrote:

Wasn't Miles with Locke and the others when Locke said they needed to go back to the Onion(?) station to fix the time jumping problem? I don't remember a specific scene where he was there and Locke said "Ben moved the Island", but Locke knew.

Regarding Ben's loss of "innocence" if the Others take him, I was thinking that maybe that defines what makes someone an Other. The conundrum the Many Worlds hypothesis was suppose to explain was the "collapse of the wave function" in quantum mechanics. Before you measure an event, every possible outcome is defined with a certain probability of happening with the quantum wave function. After you measure it, one of those outcomes becomes realized and is 100% certain and everything else is just gone. Maybe an Other is someone who comes from timeline that was not realized. This gets us back to Locke's mysticism versus Jack's hard science outlook. If Richard "heals" Ben by just grabbing a Ben that hadn't been shot from an unrealized timeline, maybe the pseudo-Ben somehow knows he isn't really supposed to be a part of the actual timeline. Perhaps the Others can somehow sense all those unrealized timelines where in some they make the "good" choices and in others they make "bad" choices. That would explain their amoral outlook and Ben's loss of innocence because they in some way know they are capable of both the best and the worst behavior. In a way they know they have already done both the best and the worst they could do in the "past".

Great post again - I think it was the Orchad station that they were going to since that's where Locke said it all started. He was down there when Ben turned the wheel so he knew if before Christian told him what to do if my memory serves me correctly. So he told them he had to go back there. I'm pretty sure he told them to turn the wheel which is how Miles knew or who knows it can always be something that was done "off camera" that we never see.

Interesting thought about young Ben. I remember from a movie Practical Magic (Sandra Bullock & Nicole Kidman) where they go to bring someone back from the dead & they are told that doing that will change the person into something dark so maybe this is what causes the change in Ben from innocent to evil?

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

I also think Christian means more to the story then what we know. I think he's a Dharma person & that's why he drank so much since he knew what was going to happen to Jack in the future & Claire too but there's more to the Shepard family then we know. Even the grandfather seems to be part of it. I know some people think that Jack is the old guy but I'm not buying that but I do think that Gramps may have been there when they went back to the time when Charlie Widmore was a lad.

Star_Gazer wrote:

Gegarland your theories fascinate me!!!

I was reading an ew article (their summary of last nights show.  I'm trying not to plagiarize) and they posed some things I had never thought of.  This one, blew me away!!!

"Could it be that Lost may have been intimating that Christian has a little more in common with Locke than a pair of shoes? What if Christian's death wasn't the result of a bad bender Down Under, as we've been led to believe? What if Christian was murdered — say, by a certain someone keenly interested in making sure Jack and all his castaways friends followed paths of destiny that led them straight to the Island? A certain someone whose name sounds a lot like Zen Sinus?"

Why this didn't cross my mind the instant Ben killed Locke I don't know. 

They also passed along this tidbit:

Ben had his lawyers go after Kate and asked for her blood type.  Weird that she was the correct blood type to donate to him.  Was he trying to confirm her type????

Previously they said Richard Alpert is like RA the sun god.  This goes with the whole thing about the Darma people having ankhs (a tau cross with a loop at the top, used as a symbol of generation or enduring life)   Little baby Ethan's dead daddy had one around his neck. 

Also, someone noticed the statue (maybe the 4 toe statue before it became just a foot) had pointy ears (like anubis - a jackal-headed god associated with mummification and the afterlife).  Also, in the episode where Ben lost his "daughter" and he called on smokey, weren't their heiroglyphs around the door in his place?

The psyhic put Claire on the plane.  The Hurley was researching the numbers and wound up on the plane.  Maybe Jack's Dad had to die to put him on the plane, and Ben could have done it?  Or could he? Yes, in a sub trip.

This was ew's summary of Richard:

"He is like an angel to be wrestled with and overcome, like a sphinx to be solved and beaten, and should you be successful, you get the keys to the kingdom, the Island, and as part of the deal, he serves you faithfully until someone else comes along and knocks you off the mountain."

There is always so much to think about after watching the show.  So many theories, so little time...

Frequent Contributor
Lmfwhite

Star_Gazer wrote:

Wow, I didn't realize his appearance changed that time.  I wonder if it means something?  Was that the first time we saw Richard in an episode?  If so, it could just be that the actor cut his hair, and now they keep it the same for all shots to show that he doesn't change/age.

No, we saw Richard with long hair in a previous episode when he first met little Ben 2 years before he took Ben to get "healed".  It wasn't just a haircut.  Looked like he had extensions to noticeably look different.  Along with Christian, I think Richard has a big part to play in all of this (especially since he said he didn't care what Ellie and Charles thought when he took Ben to be healed.

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Lmfwhite wrote:

Star_Gazer wrote:

No, we saw Richard with long hair in a previous episode when he first met little Ben 2 years before he took Ben to get "healed".  It wasn't just a haircut.  Looked like he had extensions to noticeably look different.  Along with Christian, I think Richard has a big part to play in all of this (especially since he said he didn't care what Ellie and Charles thought when he took Ben to be healed.

This bothered me as well since Richard's clothing also was quite different (very old fashioned might I even say it was like something from the 18th, 19th century like what someone on The Black Rock would wear) when he finds young Ben for the first time (I think he was in a brown tunic if memory serves me) & he had the long hair then but when we see him w/Locke in the 50's he's dressed for that time period so unless it was a boo-boo from the show something's off.

I really do think that Christian was part of this group & that is why Jack & Claire had to be there. It's definately a great game of 6 degress of seperation. There are a lot of cross overs for people on the show

Jack - Desmond

Hurley - Libby

Locke - Nadia (Sayid's dead wife)

Kate - Cassidy (Saywer's baby mama)

Sawyer - Kate's Mom

Sawyer - Christian

Christian - Ana Lucia

Hurley - Ana Lucia's partner

Why are they all so intertangled?