Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Re: Literarily Lost TV Show

gegarland wrote:

Some more physics geekiness about the nature of time... without going into hard core details (which I don't really understand, either) there is this idea in physics that time does not exist as a fundamental property of the universe. It is what is called an emergent property of the underlying reality; our perception of time and its bizarre separation of "past" and "future" (at least from the perspective of our current understanding of the fundamental nature of physical forces which make no distinction between past and future) makes at least some physicists grumble and mutter and say there is something that is just _missing_ here. Let's bring in the fundamental dichotomy between Jack's science and Locke's mysticism now. What determines what "time" emerges from all the possible times? What if intelligence, or a consciousness of some kind, is what imposes the order of time onto the fundamentally chaotic laws of physics? Every remotely consciouse entity "percieves" the universe and tries to impose its sense of order upon it; history as we know it just the amalgam of all these "times" averaged into some sort of coherent whole. The Island is a nexus of times where intelligent actors can exert massive influence upon which "time"'s get the heaviest influence on the actual time amalgam. Ben was saved because the Island judged his actions (however heinous they have might seem) to be better for achieving the "right" time amalgam. Maybe the "good guys" are those who support ensuring the Island's view of how the future should develop for all of mankind; maybe the "bad guys" are those who want to use the Island's capabilities for their own ends.

OMG!!!!! that made my brain hurt :smileysad:but that makes some sort of sense. Since the donkey wheel is sort of the dial on the time machine the island is. Is this sort of like the quantum string theory?
Contributor
TVGAL242

Re: Books on Lost

Diane32 wrote:

I agree that watching Miles and Hurley is so much fun.  I loved it when Hurley said "Hey, maybe you can hold your baby self or change your own diapers....how cool is that???"

And there's that statement again that was asked of Miles "Do you know what lies in the shadow of the statue?"  Illana had asked Lapidus, didn't she? 

Isn't it weird that on The Island you can see yourself as you were in the past? Shouldn't that cause some kind of rip in the space/time continuum thingy? What if Miles did go hold himself?? It's along the lines of the now departed Pushing Daises: if Ned made someone come to life, someone else had to die. I guess b/c The Island is The Island and there are polar bears in the heat and Richard is probably an Egyptian, anything is possible.

Contributor
TVGAL242

Diane32 wrote:

Yeah she did & the guy who grabbed Miles off the street (& owes him the fish taco:womanhappy:) is the guy who was on the island with them. I wonder how many other people could not get on the plane w/them but were suppose to but Hurley bought all the tickets.

That must be the password for being in the group. But if they don't work for Widmore who do they work for? Ben? Dharma? Someone else that we don't know yet? Are they the others??????

Oh, was he the guy with Ilana? I didn't recognize him. I think it's another group. But they could be Others because they didn't want Miles to work for Widmore to go kill Ben. I'm thinking it's another group...

Inspired Contributor
gegarland

[ Edited ]

Diane32 wrote: 
Is this sort of like the quantum string theory?

Yes, there some string theorists working on the idea of space and time being emergent properties of "something" more fundamental, and I think other physicists are approaching the subject in ways that don't involve string theory as well. I figure my chances of understanding what they are talking about in any detail is pretty close to zero, but I like the quote from Dan Falk's recent book In Search of Time  about what an emergent property is like: "Just as the wetness of water emerges from the bulk properties of billions of water molecules sliding past one another, so time itself may emerge from some more fundamental 'stuff', whatever that stuff maybe."

Message Edited by gegarland on 04-18-2009 02:03 AM
Alive, occupying space, and exerting gravitational force
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Okay so yeah still hurting the brain w/these theorys :smileysad: but if you read it a couple of times it starts to sink in & make some sense (i guess :smileyvery-happy:) keep it coming I may learn some science yet :smileywink: since as you can tell Sheldon or Leonard (Big Bang Theory) I am not

gegarland wrote:

Diane32 wrote: 
Is this sort of like the quantum string theory?

Yes, there some string theorists working on the idea of space and time being emergent properties of "something" more fundamental, and I think other physicists are approaching the subject in ways that don't involve string theory as well. I figure my chances of understanding what they are talking about in any detail is pretty close to zero, but I like the quote from Dan Falk's recent book In Search of Time  about what an emergent property is like: "Just as the wetness of water emerges from the bulk properties of billions of water molecules sliding past one another, so time itself may emerge from some more fundamental 'stuff', whatever that stuff maybe."

Message Edited by gegarland on 04-18-2009 02:03 AM

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

I think some of what we are asked to believe in on the show we have to go on faith that the powers that be really have a true idea where this all will lead and how it all meshes together LOGICALLY (I hope :smileyvery-happy:) for the final season & that we all get most of the questions we want answered, answered.

Maybe after the finale we can put it out there what we want known (never know who's reading this maybe Cuse/Lindeloff might give us a late Christmas present for the final season by answering our questions.

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Hi All for those of you who watch Heroes they (IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THE SEASON FINALE DON'T KEEP READING NOT THAT I'M GOING TO GIVE A BIG PLOT POINT AWAY)

Okay so if you caught it last night you saw that Hiro our time stopping/traveling hero started to have headaches & then nose bleeds & then passed out. Could he have TIME TRAVEL SICKNESS???????

Was this a coincidence or a nice nod to Lost?

Remember tomorrow is episode 100 (they finally made it)

Inspired Contributor
gegarland

Diane32 wrote:

I think some of what we are asked to believe in on the show we have to go on faith that the powers that be really have a true idea where this all will lead and how it all meshes together LOGICALLY (I hope :smileyvery-happy:) for the final season & that we all get most of the questions we want answered, answered.

Maybe after the finale we can put it out there what we want known (never know who's reading this maybe Cuse/Lindeloff might give us a late Christmas present for the final season by answering our questions.

I think they teased us more, rather than giving us answers this episode... not that they can give solid "answers" when time travel is out in the open as a plot line. Daniel Faraday announces that he and the other Oceanic survivors are the variables, the concious minds that can make a difference in how the future unfolds by the decisions they make in what is their "now". This is actually consistent with some of the esoteric views some scientists take with what constitutes "time"; that the "past" and the "future" are artifacts generated by how our minds percieve the universe. They believe that we will never understand how this strange thing called time actually works until we understand the nature of human conciousness. But I have my conciousness, you have yours, and everybody else in the whole world both now and in the past has theirs... how do they all seem to arrive at the same world and history that everyone agrees on?

It is also consitent with the "strange attractor" theory of the Island; future timelines will keep rebounding back to the Island until someone, somewhere, somewhen makes the choices that will send the true timeline off into a trajectory that will escape the strange attractor and define the future. The question then becomes who makes those choices, and for what reason are they making them. What "future" are they trying to send the rest of us on, anyway?

Questions: (1) Is Faraday dead? He told Jack that they wasn't supposed to be there in the 1970's, but it was Eloise Hawking that arranged for Doctor Jack to be sent back to the time and place where she had just shot her own son. (2) The preview for next week showed Jack advocating erasing the past by following Faraday's plan. Who's going to want that? Kate will go to prison for murder (and Claire will give away her baby). Sawyer will never meet and fall in love with either Kate or Juliette. Hugo knows his future lies in a psychiatric facility. Jin knows that he will be together with Sun and his baby, so he will probably agree. Miles may think he gets to have the father he never had (Maybe its the event Faraday mentioned that gives Miles his abilities to communicate with the dead, and maybe he wouldn't mind no longer being a freak). If the Island is renderered impotent Juliette never gets trapped there by Ben. Jack the boy scout only sees that all those who died in the crash and the aftermath don't have to die. Then there's Sayid. He doesn't know what Faraday has said, but he knows that if he meets his love she gets killed in the crossfire of those who want to control the Island.

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

But if the "past" never happened 815 crashing, Desmond going to the island all of it will that make any of their lives any better. Will Boone & Shannon not die? Will Eko & Ana Lucia live what about Michael will he go back & be with Walt? Will Locke be stuck in the wheelchair forever & Rose die from her cancer??????

I don't think that they will change the "past" but the "future". But if you caught what Daniel said at the end that Eloise sent him back because she knew what was going to happen. She knew she was going to "kill" him. But does he die? I don't think so maybe Richard can bring him into the temple & save him.

Some interesting plot points. Daniel got the time travel sickness that killed Charlotte & fired his girlfriend's brain. Eloise tells Daniel that the women in his life will only be hurt (foreshadowing his future). Oh & I knew it, I knew it Faraday was Widmore's kid who did not see that one coming. But why would Eloise send her only son back to the island to die? Also interesting plot point when Eloise says to Penny that for the 1st time she doesn't know what's going to happen is that because Ben changed the rules because Widmore changed them first?

gegarland wrote:

Diane32 wrote:

I think they teased us more, rather than giving us answers this episode... not that they can give solid "answers" when time travel is out in the open as a plot line. Daniel Faraday announces that he and the other Oceanic survivors are the variables, the conscious minds that can make a difference in how the future unfolds by the decisions they make in what is their "now". This is actually consistent with some of the esoteric views some scientists take with what constitutes "time"; that the "past" and the "future" are artifacts generated by how our minds perceive the universe. They believe that we will never understand how this strange thing called time actually works until we understand the nature of human consciousness. But I have my consciousness, you have yours, and everybody else in the whole world both now and in the past has theirs... how do they all seem to arrive at the same world and history that everyone agrees on?

It is also consistent with the "strange attractor" theory of the Island; future timelines will keep rebounding back to the Island until someone, somewhere, somewhen makes the choices that will send the true timeline off into a trajectory that will escape the strange attractor and define the future. The question then becomes who makes those choices, and for what reason are they making them. What "future" are they trying to send the rest of us on, anyway?

Questions: (1) Is Faraday dead? He told Jack that they wasn't supposed to be there in the 1970's, but it was Eloise Hawking that arranged for Doctor Jack to be sent back to the time and place where she had just shot her own son. (2) The preview for next week showed Jack advocating erasing the past by following Faraday's plan. Who's going to want that? Kate will go to prison for murder (and Claire will give away her baby). Sawyer will never meet and fall in love with either Kate or Juliette. Hugo knows his future lies in a psychiatric facility. Jin knows that he will be together with Sun and his baby, so he will probably agree. Miles may think he gets to have the father he never had (Maybe its the event Faraday mentioned that gives Miles his abilities to communicate with the dead, and maybe he wouldn't mind no longer being a freak). If the Island is rendered impotent Juliette never gets trapped there by Ben. Jack the boy scout only sees that all those who died in the crash and the aftermath don't have to die. Then there's Sayid. He doesn't know what Faraday has said, but he knows that if he meets his love she gets killed in the crossfire of those who want to control the Island.

gegarland wrote:

Diane32 wrote:

I think they teased us more, rather than giving us answers this episode... not that they can give solid "answers" when time travel is out in the open as a plot line. Daniel Faraday announces that he and the other Oceanic survivors are the variables, the concious minds that can make a difference in how the future unfolds by the decisions they make in what is their "now". This is actually consistent with some of the esoteric views some scientists take with what constitutes "time"; that the "past" and the "future" are artifacts generated by how our minds percieve the universe. They believe that we will never understand how this strange thing called time actually works until we understand the nature of human conciousness. But I have my conciousness, you have yours, and everybody else in the whole world both now and in the past has theirs... how do they all seem to arrive at the same world and history that everyone agrees on?

It is also consitent with the "strange attractor" theory of the Island; future timelines will keep rebounding back to the Island until someone, somewhere, somewhen makes the choices that will send the true timeline off into a trajectory that will escape the strange attractor and define the future. The question then becomes who makes those choices, and for what reason are they making them. What "future" are they trying to send the rest of us on, anyway?

Questions: (1) Is Faraday dead? He told Jack that they wasn't supposed to be there in the 1970's, but it was Eloise Hawking that arranged for Doctor Jack to be sent back to the time and place where she had just shot her own son. (2) The preview for next week showed Jack advocating erasing the past by following Faraday's plan. Who's going to want that? Kate will go to prison for murder (and Claire will give away her baby). Sawyer will never meet and fall in love with either Kate or Juliette. Hugo knows his future lies in a psychiatric facility. Jin knows that he will be together with Sun and his baby, so he will probably agree. Miles may think he gets to have the father he never had (Maybe its the event Faraday mentioned that gives Miles his abilities to communicate with the dead, and maybe he wouldn't mind no longer being a freak). If the Island is renderered impotent Juliette never gets trapped there by Ben. Jack the boy scout only sees that all those who died in the crash and the aftermath don't have to die. Then there's Sayid. He doesn't know what Faraday has said, but he knows that if he meets his love she gets killed in the crossfire of those who want to control the Island.

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Some other things about last night's show - did kind of feel bad for Juliet since Sawyer will always have a special place in his heart for Freckles but let's hope they stay together & watch each others back.

Some funny lines Sawyer calling Daniel Twitchy & HG Wells & when Hurley says you guys were in like Fonzie time even super Doc Jack made a funny when Kate says Daniel is insane trying to erase the past Jack says to her we disappeared off a plane & landed in 1977 I'm getting used to insane.

I do think that Sawyer would have preferred to stay where he is being Mr. Responsible where no one knows him or his past & he can be the guy he always wanted to be the "good guy" but now Jack & Daniel ruin it for him & he has to go back so can you really ever erase your past or get past it?

I don't know why when Stu comes into Sawyer & Juliet's place & they find Phil that they don't say that Phil is crazy & with Daniel & those other people. Oh & let's see if Hurley & Jin save them or get captured by Stu & Phil?

So do you think that Daniel is really dead or will Richard take him into the temple & save him as well is that what cures his issues? Is this the last we'll see of Des & Penny?

Will Jack save the day or just make things worse like usual (see if Daniel is dead then that's another person that Jack got killed by just running off w/out a plan)

Now is the incident the thing that sends our group back to the future? Some how they have to get back to the "present" & with 2 episdoes left i'm sure we'll be left hanging until 2010 to find out.

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Anyone catch Jimmy Kimmel last night he did a thing on when Daniel came in he finally got on the show. If you haven't seen it check to see if they run the repeat online it was really funny how he worked himself into the scene taking Daniel's place. They also had JJ Abrams & Dominic Monaghan (Charlie) on & they were talking about LOST it was pretty good catch it if you can.

Contributor
TVGAL242

Diane32 wrote:

Some other things about last night's show - did kind of feel bad for Juliet since Sawyer will always have a special place in his heart for Freckles but let's hope they stay together & watch each others back.

Some funny lines Sawyer calling Daniel Twitchy & HG Wells & when Hurley says you guys were in like Fonzie time even super Doc Jack made a funny when Kate says Daniel is insane trying to erase the past Jack says to her we disappeared off a plane & landed in 1977 I'm getting used to insane.

I do think that Sawyer would have preferred to stay where he is being Mr. Responsible where no one knows him or his past & he can be the guy he always wanted to be the "good guy" but now Jack & Daniel ruin it for him & he has to go back so can you really ever erase your past or get past it?

I don't know why when Stu comes into Sawyer & Juliet's place & they find Phil that they don't say that Phil is crazy & with Daniel & those other people. Oh & let's see if Hurley & Jin save them or get captured by Stu & Phil?

So do you think that Daniel is really dead or will Richard take him into the temple & save him as well is that what cures his issues? Is this the last we'll see of Des & Penny?

Will Jack save the day or just make things worse like usual (see if Daniel is dead then that's another person that Jack got killed by just running off w/out a plan)

Now is the incident the thing that sends our group back to the future? Some how they have to get back to the "present" & with 2 episdoes left i'm sure we'll be left hanging until 2010 to find out.

Watching last night's ep, I had a few moments of, OH!!! and I KNEW IT!! The I KNEW IT was most heartily in response to Widmore telling Daniel, "I am your father." YES!! I told someone this after the Jughead episode (the one the hydrogen bomb) when we first meet Ellie and Charles. And OH! Well that was when we learn that Desmond was in the hospital -- b/c Ben shot him. That's why Ben said to tell Desmond he was sorry. I forget whom he told this to, but anyway, now we know why he apologized.

No, I did not feel the least bit bad when Sawyer called Kate Freckles. Ahhhh. My heart melted. There is just no spark between Sawyer and Juliet. No fire. Juliet has got to be one of the most bland, expressionless characters on TV. She's just meh.

Another OH! The Hatch! So by drilling at the Swan station, the Dharma hardhats tap into the "massive pockets of energy" that they try to harness by cementing it in like they did at Chernobyl. Thus The Hatch is born. Unfortunately this sets into motion the whole pressing the button sitch -- for the next 20 years -- which when Desmond fails to press it that one time, causes Oceanic flight 815 to crash onto The Island. Daniel wants to prevent all this -- "change the whole course of events". He thinks he can "destroy the energy" -- by detonating Jughead -- the hydrogen bomb. Wow.

Some more blanks are filled in like where Daniel went after Charlotte died -- back to Dharma HQ in Ann Arbor; what happened to Daniel after he got kicked out of Oxford (it was Oxford, right?) -- he began losing his memory after testing his theories of time travel on himself; and that his mother is a manipulative liar and maybe a killer.

The switching time had me a little confused, so I need to go back and watch, but overall i was very happy with this ep.

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

I do like that they are filling in the blanks I remember when Des went looking for Daniel at Oxford & found Theresa & her scrambled mind that the sister said that Daniel ran off to LA since that's where Eliose was I'm guessing when he started to get scrambled she took him w/her to LA to be taken care of.

Sorry I like Sawyer & Juliet & I was a HUGE SKATE fan but Suliet is better. She doesn't judge him & she's smart enough for him. Yeah a lot of people don't like her but I get it.

Now IF Daniel really is dead & Jack erases the "past" will that allow Daniel to be resurrected (a big lost plot point - Christian, Ana Lucia, Libby, Dave (Hurley's friend), Charlie & most recently Locke okay back to my point). What I've read on other sites is that maybe it's not Jack who saves the day but one of the other or all of the other survivors. Sawyer taking everyone back to the so called scene of the crime - back to the beach will that sync them up with the ones that are missing, what about what Locke, Ben, Sun & Frank do will that get the others back to the future. I do think that they are setting it up for a big (and I steal this from EW's Doc Jensen's column) Who Shot JR? finale or even a Soprano's finale where we are going to be going crazy all summer w/what next where's the end game going. I think they are going to leave us like they did at the end of season one when they found the hatch & Walt was taken by Mr. Friendly (or Zeke as Sawyer so called him). What I would like to see is we all put out there are end game ideas & see what next spring were we right on & what were we wrong on? Will the finale (this season) with Jack waking up on the beach again but it's really back to the future it's a do over & it's season one premier episode all over again?????? (sorry Doc Jensen stole that from you as well) what ever it is I do think it's going to have people talking for a good long time as to what is going to happen.

Contributor
TVGAL242
0 Kudos

Did anyone spot the Wired magazine?

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Magazine/Wired-One-Year-Subscription/e/2000003284931

Just read on EW that J.J. is the guest editor and the issue (called The Super-Powers issue) is all about fringe (shout-out!) science like invisibility, X-ray vision and time travel.

There's also an article on ending cancer as we know it... Very interesting.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1550612_20245769_20275722,00.html

Inspired Contributor
gegarland

Diane32 wrote:

What I would like to see is we all put out there are end game ideas & see what next spring were we right on & what were we wrong on?

I think the last season is going to center around the fight between the Others and the black-suited Dharma guys (like Radzinsky) to take control of the Island, and naturally it is a fight that occurs across time. Our castaways from Oceanic 815 and elsewhere get pushed and pulled between them and will ultimately decide the outcome and the path the future takes.

One thing I predict is that the people Ben had Sayid assassinate were either Dharma people or other factions fighting over the Island and were not working for Charles Widmore.

Assuming they survive, people who leave the Island: Jack and Kate, Sawyer and Juliet, Jin and Sun, Desmond and Penny, and Lapidus. People who stay: Locke, Hurley, Miles, and Sayid. People exiled: Ben. People who come back: Walt (he's a very special boy). Assuming he is somehow saved, Daniel will leave to cure Theresa. All the dead people will remain dead-ish, with only a virtual existence by means of the Island's powers. Claire is dead-ish (and we'll find out why), but gives Kate her blessing to raise her son.

Top candidates for a tragic ending: Sawyer.

I think the complete reset of history scenario is a red herring, but if they go that way then I think Oceanic 815 still crashes on the island, but in this time-line Frank Lapidus is the pilot and brings the plane down intact just like he did with the plane this season.

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Like what you are saying but NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! No dead Sawyer :womansad: if it did happen it would have to be at the very end of the last episode so that everyone would be crying. I do like the take on Claire giving Kate her blessing to raise Aaron that would be a good one. I would like to see Walt come back to the island maybe he is their savior?

gegarland wrote:

Diane32 wrote:

What I would like to see is we all put out there are end game ideas & see what next spring were we right on & what were we wrong on?

I think the last season is going to center around the fight between the Others and the black-suited Dharma guys (like Radzinsky) to take control of the Island, and naturally it is a fight that occurs across time. Our castaways from Oceanic 815 and elsewhere get pushed and pulled between them and will ultimately decide the outcome and the path the future takes.

One thing I predict is that the people Ben had Sayid assassinate were either Dharma people or other factions fighting over the Island and were not working for Charles Widmore.

Assuming they survive, people who leave the Island: Jack and Kate, Sawyer and Juliet, Jin and Sun, Desmond and Penny, and Lapidus. People who stay: Locke, Hurley, Miles, and Sayid. People exiled: Ben. People who come back: Walt (he's a very special boy). Assuming he is somehow saved, Daniel will leave to cure Theresa. All the dead people will remain dead-ish, with only a virtual existence by means of the Island's powers. Claire is dead-ish (and we'll find out why), but gives Kate her blessing to raise her son.

Top candidates for a tragic ending: Sawyer.

I think the complete reset of history scenario is a red herring, but if they go that way then I think Oceanic 815 still crashes on the island, but in this time-line Frank Lapidus is the pilot and brings the plane down intact just like he did with the plane this season.

Inspired Contributor
gegarland
0 Kudos

Diane32 wrote:
Like what you are saying but NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! No dead Sawyer :womansad: if it did happen it would have to be at the very end of the last episode so that everyone would be crying. I do like the take on Claire giving Kate her blessing to raise Aaron that would be a good one. I would like to see Walt come back to the island maybe he is their savior?

My truly tragic ending for Sawyer: Juliet dies. In the climatic finale Kate begs Sawyer to come with them for a chance at safety, but Sawyer sacrifices himself to ensure that Kate and the rest survive... not because of his love for Kate, but because he wants to remain on the Island with his true soulmate Juliet. A virtual existence with Juliet (potentially forever?) is better than some doomed brief flash of passion with Kate.

I just had a twisted thought while watching an ad for the next episode. What if Jack is right and they can rewrite history so that Oceanic 815 never crashes?  But if the plane never crashes how can they be in position to rewrite history? The crash is in Jack-now's past, but if he changes history Jack-now will never have been. Is that what it means to be an Other? To be someone who's future has been affected in such a way that his/her now-self will not actually be a part of the future? Jack and the other castaways can change the future, but if they do their time-line becomes virtual and they will only be able to manifest an existence due to the power of the Island.

My guess is that their desire to rewrite history must fail; it must fail because the 'now' of Ben, Locke, Sun, Lapidus, and Desmond are in some sense simultaneous with the 'now' of the 1970's castaways, but it exists in the actual 'time' of the present day. Only if all who's 'now' is the same can be collected at the same point in 'time' can the Island be free to modify the future and move through time and space as it will. Perhaps Eloise Hawking deliberately split the castaways across time to trap the Island in space and time so that her son might be saved.

Correspondent
Diane32

WOW!!!!!!!! while I never want to see anything bad happen to Sawyer what a great idea I could defiantely see that as a good ending. Like I've said before I'm all for the Sawyer/Juliet pairing since they really seem to like each other & are smart enough for each other.

Also WOW again I have to stop reading your posts so early in the morning as they make my head hurt :smileyvery-happy:but seriously I do agree that they can't change history/rewrite it because then how would they all meet. If the do that then what happens to Aaron is he born in LA because Claire was going there to give him up? Same for baby Charlie if Des never gets off the island he is never born. They can't do that so yeah for plotline purposes they can't do it but they may be able to make some small change I think that the "incident" (funny SciFi had the Desmond episode on last night where Locke doesn't push the button & Des' back story of how he got to the island & he talks about the "incident" that caused them to have to push the button) is what sends them all to the present time.

I do think that Sawyer & Juliet would like to stay in the old Dharma since they built a life there but I don't think it will happen. Have to see tonight how they set it up for next week's finale.

gegarland wrote:

Diane32 wrote:

My truly tragic ending for Sawyer: Juliet dies. In the climatic finale Kate begs Sawyer to come with them for a chance at safety, but Sawyer sacrifices himself to ensure that Kate and the rest survive... not because of his love for Kate, but because he wants to remain on the Island with his true soulmate Juliet. A virtual existence with Juliet (potentially forever?) is better than some doomed brief flash of passion with Kate.

I just had a twisted thought while watching an ad for the next episode. What if Jack is right and they can rewrite history so that Oceanic 815 never crashes?  But if the plane never crashes how can they be in position to rewrite history? The crash is in Jack-now's past, but if he changes history Jack-now will never have been. Is that what it means to be an Other? To be someone who's future has been affected in such a way that his/her now-self will not actually be a part of the future? Jack and the other castaways can change the future, but if they do their time-line becomes virtual and they will only be able to manifest an existence due to the power of the Island.

My guess is that their desire to rewrite history must fail; it must fail because the 'now' of Ben, Locke, Sun, Lapidus, and Desmond are in some sense simultaneous with the 'now' of the 1970's castaways, but it exists in the actual 'time' of the present day. Only if all who's 'now' is the same can be collected at the same point in 'time' can the Island be free to modify the future and move through time and space as it will. Perhaps Eloise Hawking deliberately split the castaways across time to trap the Island in space and time so that her son might be saved.

Inspired Contributor
gegarland
0 Kudos

gaaahhhh! me don't want more questions! me want answers!!!

Kate, you.... never mind. Did you leave because you thought Jack was wrong, or did you leave because you thought Jack was right and you don't want the new-future you to go to jail? Juliet thought for the barest of seconds that it was finally over; that she and Sawyer could make a life together without this Island business hanging over their heads... but then you came down the ladder. You stole that from her; she knows now that the Island will never let her and Sawyer go. She knows now that Ben wasn't her jailor; it was the Island itself that held her all along. She knows that you will drag Sawyer back to the Island, and that she will follow Sawyer. You are running again, Kate; bad things always happen to other people when you run.

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

gegarland wrote:

gaaahhhh! me don't want more questions! me want answers!!!

Kate, you.... never mind. Did you leave because you thought Jack was wrong, or did you leave because you thought Jack was right and you don't want the new-future you to go to jail? Juliet thought for the barest of seconds that it was finally over; that she and Sawyer could make a life together without this Island business hanging over their heads... but then you came down the ladder. You stole that from her; she knows now that the Island will never let her and Sawyer go. She knows now that Ben wasn't her jailor; it was the Island itself that held her all along. She knows that you will drag Sawyer back to the Island, and that she will follow Sawyer. You are running again, Kate; bad things always happen to other people when you run.

Yeah I know we ALL want answers but that's the LOST way give an answer cause 20 more questions.

Yeah you nailed it with Kate-Sawyer-Juliet I really did feel bad for her she was finally going to have a good life & then down the hatch comes Freckles to ruin it all for her. First Jack now Sawyer man can't she ever get a break. You are so right everytime Kate runs someone - A MAN (i.e- Sawyer :mansad:) dies for her mistakes. That's why she needs to be with Jack both are rash & impulsive and cause others deaths. Now you know they are going to go & try to stop Jack on his stupid rash plan to have the plane go back. That's the problem with Jack he is a surgeon so he has the god complex which is why he just goes running around willy-nilly doing what he thinks is best since he is god he knows best. He'll be the death of them all.