Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Re: Books on Lost

Okay so other then Kate raining on Juliet's parade it was interesting last night they are setting this up for a big 2hr finale next week so all the players are lining up for it. But where are Miles, Hurley & Jin if Dr. Chang was getting them off the island where are they why weren't they on the sub as well? Also where did Sawyer tell them to find the hostiles?

Again some Hurley funny's when Dr. Chang was asking were they really from the future & he was questioning Hurley my only issue was I would think he would have at least heard of the Korean was I mean come on M A S H???? but other then that it was pretty funny same for when Richard said that Locke was starting to be a problem & Ben replied well that's why I tried to kill him made me laugh.

So what's the thought is Jack going to save the day or will it be Sawyer & what is going to be the big cliffhanger for them? I think that whatever they do w/Jughead it will transport them to the future and that's how they all get back to each other.

I do like how they are filling in the back story on things like how Richard knew how to get to Locke when he was shot by Widmore(I think it was Charlie). I like this new confident Locke. But becareful he's getting a little Jackish (ie God complex). But why does he want to kill Jacob does he think that Jacob is the cause of all the problems? What will that solve will it really make him the true leader? Can he kill Jacob or is Jacob already dead?

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B

[ Edited ]

Maybe by "kill Jacob" he means he will reveal to the people that Jacob does not exist.  Or that Jacob is Richard..

Interesting that Jack never seems to realize why Kate might not want things to be "the way they were before".  Did he forget why she was on the plane in the first place?? 

Message Edited by Jon_B on 05-07-2009 10:50 AM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Inspired Contributor
gegarland

Diane32 wrote:

Okay so other then Kate raining on Juliet's parade it was interesting last night they are setting this up for a big 2hr finale next week so all the players are lining up for it. But where are Miles, Hurley & Jin if Dr. Chang was getting them off the island where are they why weren't they on the sub as well?

My guess is that when Kate tells Sawyer and Juliet that Jack wants to detonate Jughead then Sawyer decides he has to go back to the Island to either stop Jack or rescue Hurley and the others before the bomb goes off. Like Kate, Sawyer is someone who probably doesn't want to go back to being the Sawyer who was being deported from Australia on flight 815.

Alive, occupying space, and exerting gravitational force
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Jon_B wrote:

Maybe by "kill Jacob" he means he will reveal to the people that Jacob does not exist.  Or that Jacob is Richard..

Interesting that Jack never seems to realize why Kate might not want things to be "the way they were before".  Did he forget why she was on the plane in the first place?? 

Message Edited by Jon_B on 05-07-2009 10:50 AM

That would fall into line with the show's connection to the Wizard of Oz and Locke would be trying to show the man behind the curtain so if Jacob does exist (which he is suppose to exist or at least did exist since they cast someone as Jacob or so I've read) is he really the all powerful Oz who runs the island which is their Emerald City?

As for Jack he's a surgeon & they all think that they are GODS and that everything they do is right regardless of what it is or if there is any thought to it. Since Jack has played a part in several people dying or not being able to save some people (Boone for example) this is Jack's way to absolve himself from all that death & tragedy. He doesn't see that there were good times and good things that came out of this he basically told Kate sorry i'd rather have a do over then keep those bad times. But for him he hit rock bottom was a druggie lost everything if he get's a do over he gets to not have all that happen but Kate gets to go to jail & never have a connection to Aaron so she is the big loser & she knows it. Also if they get a do over do they remember what the old past was or does that memory get erased as well?

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

So true Sawyer has said he was very happy back in the 70's how funny was he saying okay we'll buy Microsoft & bet on the Superbowl & get rich :smileyvery-happy:. Yeah he knows he had a sweet deal there he was the man he always wanted to be but never could because of his need to avenge his parents deaths. Now that he got that revenge he can be the man he wanted to be and w/Juliet he was able to do that. Yeah i've been aruging with my friends Kate/Juliet who's better for him & I keep saying Juiliet because she's helped him become the good man he always was. Kate yeah she was his true first love but Juliet loves him for who he is warts & all Kate always wanted him to be something more then he could be to be - Jack truthfully.

From the coming attractions that I've seen the past couple of days it looks like they get off the sub somehow & it's back to Jack VS Sawyer again. One thing I do want to see is when Sawyer gets even w/that weasel Phil just waiting for that one. It will be something like what happened w/Big Tom on the beach :smileywink:

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

All right so what did everyone think? Good finale or just OK? It was good but it as always gave us more questions.

Okay so Jacob & the other guy (I'll call Titus since that's the actor's name Titus Welliver great character actor) Titus are what Cain & Abel, good & evil, God & the Devil? So we start off w/how Richard got there - Jacob brought them (but why? what's the deal why is he bringing them there - oh wait hey how about this (a little Dogma for you). Jacob & Titus are angels that were cast out of heaven when the Devil was & they are trying to get back in (or not) to heaven so they have these encounters with the people that are brought to the island and depending on how they go it will depend on whether they can get "off" the island & back into heaven? How's that for a thought?

Okay so back to the show, Jacob & Titus fight over what? We don't get that answer yet but okay so we now know how Richard & the Others got there. Then we get to see Jacob (if it's really him & not Titus but more on that later) interact with our core group. Kate & Sawyer as children, Jack on his first surgery (the story he told Kate when she stitched him up that first day on the island), Sun & Jin's wedding, Locke when he got pushed out the window, Hurley when he gets out of jail before coming back to the island & Sayid when he was with Nadia (yeah who didn't see that coming Nadia goes bang it was just like Juliet's ex husband when she said the only way to get him out of her life was if he got hit by a bus :smileyvery-happy:& he does) but why does he pick these people what is it about them that he needs from them or does for them. Locke we know he resurrected him, Sayid he saved from getting killed & Hurley from thinking he was crazy but what about Jack, Kate & Sawyer. Does he keep Jack a surgeon?, Kate from being a thief? What was it with Sawyer?

I'm going to end this one now since it will be a really long string I'll keep the thoughts running in the next one.

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Okay so continuing on. So it was great to get that little scene with Bernard & Rose they were saying things I think the audience is saying what a hoot they were. Adam & Eve (is that who's in the cave? wonder if we'll ever find out?). Anyway so I had a thought during this that Juliet is pregnant & was that why Bernard wanted her to stay with them? Who did not love the fight scene between Jack & Sawyer finally Sawyer got to kick Jack's a$$ man long time coming :smileyvery-happy: as well as Phil getting his. Man this show is SO VIOLENT geez not for the squemish:mansad:anyway While it gave us something new I still feel cheated that we didn't get answers. Why add the new guy not let us know why Jacob is there & what that story is just more questions.

It is all about redemption and good vs evil but we always knew that. Oh & the book that Jacob was reading Everything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'Conner 

Everything That Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'Connor: Book Cover 

is this Jacob? Is this the Pheonix? That last scene made me think of that as well as (and thanks to my niece Maggie for this) the end shot where it goes to LOST notice something it was White instead of Black w/white lettering. Juliet (not Jack) saved them she made the change happen.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Everything-That-Rises-Must-Converge/Flannery-OConnor/e/978037450464...

But what did she do will they all go back to the 815 flight or are they destined to be on 316 or some other flight. Will the last season be them back to their old lives back to "normal" but will they still have the memories of what happened will they all still meet up again?

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Oh & one more thing

Jacob says something to the other guy that it only happens once & what happens after that is progress. So they can’t change the past or the “future” but they can improve on it. This is the story of man we keep trying and trying to be better & do better to “redeem” ourselves to the perfect way isn’t that an Eastern way of thinking sort of like what the Hindu’s where you live your lives coming back depending on how you lived the past life either better or worse & you keep going until you get it all right & then achieve what is it Nirvana (not that good in the eastern religions) so is this what Jacob & Titus are?

Contributor
Star_Gazer
0 Kudos

Diane32 wrote:

- oh wait hey how about this (a little Dogma for you). Jacob & Titus are angels that were cast out of heaven when the Devil was & they are trying to get back in (or not) to heaven so they have these encounters with the people that are brought to the island and depending on how they go it will depend on whether they can get "off" the island & back into heaven? How's that for a thought?

Diane, I love how you mentioned Dogma.  Good tie in.  So, this show is all about Good versus Evil, and Redemption.  Every story starts with a good basic plot point, and this is one of the best.  Jacob is good (wears white)  Smokey bad (Titus in black) 

I was right, but also a little wrong in thinking Smokey/Titus was in Locke's body reanimating him.  Now that I look back, Smokey never reanimated anyone he just became them as he did with Locke.  Right after they let Lapidus look in the box, I knew it was Locke and I flashed back to Smokey/Titus on the beach telling Jacob I am going to kill you.

I agree with Gegerland that they can't really land in LA.  This would negate too much unless they land with an understanding of what happens, and are drawn back to the Island because they haven't completed the time line exactly, they cheated by blowing the energy.

I now thing Bernard and Rose will be Adam and Eve (could be wrong) but last night I think they proved they were truly redeemed.  They were at peace with everything.

Diane brought up something (not in her post) is Juliet pregnant.  I think she is.  She was holding her belly one too many times, and like Diane pointed out.  Bernard only offered her tea...why?

The convo between Jacob and Smokey/Titus was the best.  You keep bringing them here Jacob, and it always ends the same with guns and ... So, everyone has to learn to just "get a long" and everything will be ok?  Jack was almost where he needed to be until he got his hands on Daniels journal, and then he reverted into Action Jack.

Sawyer hasn't flip flopped, bu Sayid did.  He tried to kill again.  Albeit it was Ben, but thou shalt not kill even little Benry who is destined to kill Jacob.

Wow, what a set up, Smokey manipulating Ben to kill Jacob.  And why Jacob of all things to say, just stay quiet... "What about you Ben"  If that wasn't drawing the x on the heart and saying insert knife here, I don't know what was. 

Can Jacob die?  IF so, what happens with Smokey????  He has been killing the people beyond redemption Echo, but he did kill Russo's friends, and they hadn't done anything but get too close to his temple.  What if Smokey isn't the bad one.  Nothing on this show has been clear cut.  Smokey is the great redeemer, but there should only be one that gets to make that choice, so Smokey has a God complex???

Last thought for now (until someone posts and gets my brain juices flowing)

What makes anyone think that the H-Bomb really will reset things correctly?  Per Faraday, the energy needed to be released, and all would be well..... Only, we did this once already, and all wasn't well.  If all can remember the sky turned purple, and that is when things started changing on the Island.

Dessie blew the hatch, he turned the failsafe key and released all the built up energy.  Nothing really reset back to happy on flight 815 landing in LAX.

I think it will just reset them back to the Island or back to the plane crash...time will tell.  I like what Diane pointed out (not in post)  Something changed... The closing credits were now in white, and not the all too familiar black.

Oh, last, last thought.  Is crazy Kick Sayid butt girl another Richard.  Jacob seemed to really know her, and she him at the visit in the hospital, and she understood all the clues at the cabin...ash broken, cabin used by someone else (Christian)  ok, done..for now...

Contributor
TVGAL242
0 Kudos

Before i post my thoughts, i have to ask: How did you guys know Titus is Smokey?? I think Idozed off a little -- took a yoga class so i was a bit relaxed -- during some key parts. I figured the Locke not in the steel crate, i.e. dead, is just a spirit like Christian (Jack's dad). But i must have completely missed the revelation that Titus is Smokey.

Very creepy how Jacob touched them all, essentially guaranteeing they'd be on The Island. I must re-watch this weekend. Probably twice.

New User
valley_girlNYC
0 Kudos

What a great episode.  My theory is that Jacob represents Jesus/God and the guy in black is the devil.  After listening to the Jay & Jack podcast, they present the theory that the two men are Biblical brothers Jacob and Essaw.  Essaw is the older brother but Jacob was their mothers' favorite.  Essaw hated Jacob.  In the beginning when the guy in black says he wants to kill Jacob and will find a way to do it, and by the end you see how he found is loophole.  "Essaw" or the devil inhabited Locke's body in order to manipulate Ben into doing his dirty work.  Before Ben kills him, Jacob says to Essaw, "I guess you found your loophole."  The whole show, as many have said, explores the Biblical themes of good vs evil, fate/destiny vs choice/free will.  At alternate times, the characters have been either doing things they thought were either predestined or of their own free will. 

"Essaw"/the devil could be the smoke monster; he seems to have the ability to morph into whomever and whatever (Alex, Christian, maybe even Charlie and Claire) to manipulate people.  But I actually thought Jack throwing the bomb in the hole/future Swan station created the smoke monster, which didn't seem to exist before then.

Great show.  Does anyone know the plot/theme the Flannery O'Connor book Jacob was reading before Locke plunged to "his first death?"  I think it's safe to say that Locke, as we know him, realli is dead (so sad) and he has become "the evil twin."

New User
valley_girlNYC
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info on Flannery O'Conner Everything That Rises Must Converage.  I think the title sums of the theme of the show.

Here's a synopsis of the book:

"She scrutinizes territory familiar to her readers: race, faith, and morality. The stories encompass the comic and the tragic, the beautiful and the grotesque..."

New User
valley_girlNYC
0 Kudos

Please excuse all the spelling errors in my posts.  I am, after all, a writer and should be more careful.  There's just so much to say about Lost :smileywink:
Inspired Contributor
gegarland

[ Edited ]

Star_Gazer wrote:

The convo between Jacob and Smokey/Titus was the best.  You keep bringing them here Jacob, and it always ends the same with guns and ... So, everyone has to learn to just "get a long" and everything will be ok?  Jack was almost where he needed to be until he got his hands on Daniels journal, and then he reverted into Action Jack.

Sawyer hasn't flip flopped, bu Sayid did.  He tried to kill again.  Albeit it was Ben, but thou shalt not kill even little Benry who is destined to kill Jacob.

Wow, what a set up, Smokey manipulating Ben to kill Jacob.  And why Jacob of all things to say, just stay quiet... "What about you Ben"  If that wasn't drawing the x on the heart and saying insert knife here, I don't know what was. 

It seemed to me that Jacob and anti-Jacob were presented as two beings that have been playing a kind of chess game using the Island's powers for a long, long time. Whether they are two seperate 'people' or just two manifestations of the same being doesn't seem clear. It looked like Jacob was the person 'in charge'; he was the finding the 'right' people and events through time and influencing them to make sure they came to the Island. Did anti-Jacob hate Jacob just because he was in charge, or did he hate him because as long as Jacob was playing his time-manipulation games anti-Jacob was stuck on the Island with him? Maybe they're advanced aliens and anti-Jacob just wants to take their Island and go home. 

At the end I was reminded how Eloise Hawking said that they had to recreate everything as closely as possible before they could return to the Island, maybe they cannot jump back to the future (or maybe just 'a future') unless they recreate certain key events that had happened what is in their 'past'. Their past had an 'incident' at the Swan station that caused the Dharma Initiative to build the Hatch. I think Miles was correct in suggesting that they and Jack were the 'incident'. (NB: I suppose I can't complain too much because we already have time travel, but, come on, you've got a 20000 lb. H-bomb where you can take a knapsack-portable piece out of the middle and _still_ have a working H-bomb?)

Back to Jacob and anti-Jacob... Jacob's last comment to Ben made it seem that that J. and anti-J. really do see us a just pieces to be manipulated in their long game. Maybe the 'rules of their game required him to tell Ben he had a choice; he didn't have to do what the anti-Jacob said. But he knew Ben killing him was the way 'forward', and he had prepared for this with his own moves in the game.

Message Edited by gegarland on 05-14-2009 11:15 AM
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Star_Gazer you said "Wow, what a set up, Smokey manipulating Ben to kill Jacob.  And why Jacob of all things to say, just stay quiet... "What about you Ben"  If that wasn't drawing the x on the heart and saying insert knife here, I don't know what was. "

Since we all know that the show is steeped in religious symbolism and who is God, or Jesus etc Jacob is Jesus & Ben is his Judas. Jesus knew what Judas had to do so that his story could go on & follow it's rightful course just as Jacob knew that saying to Ben "What about you Ben? would send him over the deep end so that Ben would do Smokey/Titus/other guy not Jacob's bidding and go thru the loophole & get Jacob killed.

But like i said before Jacob going into that fire shows he is a Phoenix he will rise from the ashes. Is this his & the other guy not Jacob's destiny to keep going until they reach Nirvana or the perfect state. The people that Jacob brings to the island are brought there to fight for humanity's sake (maybe:womansurprised:) and that's why maybe Rose & Bernard will be Adam & Eve since they got it they reached the point & they no longer have to keep trying they "retired" from all that nonsense. Like Bernard said all that matters in the end is each other so they get it & get to move on.

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Funny watching Fringe's finale the othe night where they were talking about alternate realitys made me think of LOST & since JJ Abrams runs both shows it makes sense that they touch each other a little. But yeah what Eloise said about recreating it as close as possible makes sense. Same for what Miles said how do they know that what Jack was doing was not the "incident that caused all the problems?"

I also thought of both Cain & Abel as well as Jacob & Esau too (again getting biblical) Wikipedia says of Jacob & Esau -

The prophecy also said that the older would serve the younger; its statement "one people will be stronger than the other" has been taken to mean that the two nations would never gain power simultaneously: when one fell, the other would rise, and vice versa. (there's tons more so stop by & get a gander at it if you are a little behind in your bible studies :smileywink:)

But yeah I think these 2 are brothers or like I said earlier a Dogma scenario where they were tossed out of heaven (or a space ship if you want) and the only way they can get back is to play these games.

gegarland wrote:

Star_Gazer wrote:

It seemed to me that Jacob and anti-Jacob were presented as two beings that have been playing a kind of chess game using the Island's powers for a long, long time. Whether they are two seperate 'people' or just two manifestations of the same being doesn't seem clear. It looked like Jacob was the person 'in charge'; he was the finding the 'right' people and events through time and influencing them to make sure they came to the Island. Did anti-Jacob hate Jacob just because he was in charge, or did he hate him because as long as Jacob was playing his time-manipulation games anti-Jacob was stuck on the Island with him? Maybe they're advanced aliens and anti-Jacob just wants to take their Island and go home. 

At the end I was reminded how Eloise Hawking said that they had to recreate everything as closely as possible before they could return to the Island, maybe they cannot jump back to the future (or maybe just 'a future') unless they recreate certain key events that had happened what is in their 'past'. Their past had an 'incident' at the Swan station that caused the Dharma Initiative to build the Hatch. I think Miles was correct in suggesting that they and Jack were the 'incident'. (NB: I suppose I can't complain too much because we already have time travel, but, come on, you've got a 20000 lb. H-bomb where you can take a knapsack-portable piece out of the middle and _still_ have a working H-bomb?)

Back to Jacob and anti-Jacob... Jacob's last comment to Ben made it seem that that J. and anti-J. really do see us a just pieces to be manipulated in their long game. Maybe the 'rules of their game required him to tell Ben he had a choice; he didn't have to do what the anti-Jacob said. But he knew Ben killing him was the way 'forward', and he had prepared for this with his own moves in the game.

Message Edited by gegarland on 05-14-2009 11:15 AM

Inspired Contributor
gegarland
0 Kudos

Diane32 wrote:

Funny watching Fringe's finale the othe night where they were talking about I also thought of both Cain & Abel as well as Jacob & Esau too (again getting biblical) Wikipedia says of Jacob & Esau -

The prophecy also said that the older would serve the younger; its statement "one people will be stronger than the other" has been taken to mean that the two nations would never gain power simultaneously: when one fell, the other would rise, and vice versa. (there's tons more so stop by & get a gander at it if you are a little behind in your bible studies :smileywink:)

The biblical reference I thought of was horrificly a twisted version of the trinity. Jacob is the new testament son who thinks mankind can be saved, the other is the old testament father who will let the human race destroy itself if that's what they are stupid enough to do. The smoke monster, of course, becomes the holy ghost; i.e. something mysterious, alien, and beyond our normal understanding.

Contributor
TVGAL242

Oh, my goodness! How could I have missed the clue from the very beginning: Jacob was eating fish!! FISH! Totally biblical!
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Oh yeah this show is so religious it's funny. You have Jacob & for the sake of easy Esau (the other guy w/Jacob) - Christian - lost souls looking for redemption you got it all there :smileyvery-happy: but seriously yeah they've been building to this god like creature since season 2 or 3 but there has always been religious undertones to the show & the book that Jacob was reading when Locke went for his walk out the window was by Flannery O'Connor who from what I read used a lot of religion in her writings.
Contributor
Star_Gazer
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I notice everyone has been asking the same questions in the end. What are we going to do until 2010.  I think the writers of lost gave us a big clue.  They never focused on a book as long as they did in this season finale.  I think we should all start reading.  I am very ashamed to say I haven't finished the book Island yet.  I normally read a book in 2 days, and this one is not big or confusing.  But now that I have the whole lost theme good versus evil and religion it now makes me want to finish this book.   That is what this book is basically about.  Religion, and good versus evil.  The good and evil are really hidden.  You can't quite tell who is better for the island.  You are being led to believe it is the religious people and the current leader (a teenage boy who wants to bring in modern things) is bad.  Also, the narrator of the story is kinda adding fire to the flames by trying to profit himself having landed/crashed on the island by ?accident?

So, I will be going back to my local library (which I haven't visited in 9 years) and start reading away (all the books mentioned in lost)  I hope some of the posters will join me, and we can discuss the books and what they mean/don't mean to the show to keep our interest brewing until it comes back.  I am sure the writers will also cook up a website to keep us interested as well.  They have done so in the past.  My favorite website was the Hanso Foundation.  I was so sad when they got rid of it. 

Happy Friday, and happy reading!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message Edited by Star_Gazer on 05-15-2009 08:22 AM