Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Diane32

Re: Books on Lost

Putting this theory out there. There’s a book called Replay http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Replay/Ken-Grimwood/e/9781615541522/?itm=1&USRI=replay

Synopsis

In 1988, forty-three-year-old Jeff Winston died of a heart attack. But then he awoke, and it was 1963; Jeff was eighteen all over again, his memory of the next two decades intact. This time around, Jeff would gain all the power and wealth he never had before. This time around he'd know how to do it right. Until next time.

I read this book over the summer since it was on one of the Doc Jensen lost book reading lists and I think if you read this you may see where they are going with it. I this makes sense (and not in a Fringe sort of way). If they take this route it may be a really cool season. Having just read the Doc Jensen article in EW online (http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/02/02/lost-premiere-damon-carlton/) one thing they mentioned is the alternate universe and if you read this book it is about replaying your life. Now I wonder if this is where they are going will they keep replaying parts of their lives until they get it right and by that could it mean atonement? This is a good book worth taking a look at.

Reader
andre66
0 Kudos

i have never read any book about lost
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

It's a great books. I wouldn't recommend the Flannery O'Conner book that Jacob was reading but this one (Replay) it a really good read and it does kind of make sense with what they are looking to do (or at least so far are doing).

Looks like tonight's episode is a Locke one (from what I was from the cable guide) and  looks like Helen is back so we get to see Katey Segal again (yeah).

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Okay so we finally know what the #'s mean - they are the castaways. Interesting that Kate was not on the ceiling wall with her #. She was touched by Jacob but is not listed there wonder what that means (unless I just missed her). So is FLocke (fake Locke) a good or a bad guy. He did spin a good tale which portrayed Jacob as the bad guy who's kept him on the island all this time and was the reason they all were brought there.

Who was the kid (new little Jacob or some other new group that we were not aware of is this why Walt was taken was he an option since he was a kid?)? I did love that Sawyer didn't respond when he knew it "wasn't Locke" in front of him. Did it bother him nope just sit & have a drink w/me (how trashy did he look in his wife beater & boxers :womansurprised:) Flocke did make a good point that everyone lost something coming/being here on the island so snap out of it.

Okay who thought that Flocke was going to let Sawyer go. Now someone mentioned to me that the little kid meant Sawyer when he said you know the rules you can't kill him I thought he meant Jacob but it makes much more sense that he meant Sawyer and that's why he grabbed him when the ladder fell apart. But there still is some John Locke fighting in there cause when the kid told him he couldn't kill "him" (whoever that he meant) we got the standard Locke answer "Don't tell me what I can't do". He was going to give that speech to Rose but she was having none of it. She shut him up huh okay you can't walk I have terminal cancer beat that buddy :smileyvery-happy:.Can't wait to see how Flocke & Sawyer work to get off the island. Are they going to have a jungle showdown w/the Temple people?

It is interesting how they are all still meeting up. Rose works for Hurley who met Locke right after he just got fired and gave him a new job. Interesting how he gave up on Jack and the chance to walk again. Wonder what will bring him to Jack.

One thing that bothered me is that we didn't find out what happened w/Claire both on & off the island but that's for another show I guess.

Oh and who would really want Ben Linus as their History Teacher NOT ME!!! How funny was Lockes funeral what a great eulogist Ben is sorry I killed him :womansurprised:was Sun shocked (why I can't understand) and Frank is becoming the great comedian of the show. Strangest funeral I've ever been to :smileyvery-happy: he gets only a few lines but they really are great ones.

So let's see what nexts weeks episode brings think it's a Jack one. What question will they answer and how many more new ones will they put out.

Frequent Contributor
MichaelN
0 Kudos

Didn't Sawyer and Ben Linus talk about Mice & Men once when Ben had him, Jack, and Kate jailed that one season? I think the scene was the two of them climbing up a hill.

MN
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

Well, I've definitely decided that once it's all over, I'll wait for a boxed set to come out and buy the whole series!  There are just too many intertwined details to possibly remember them all, especially with the long hiatuses between and sometimes during the seasons!  I need to watch them in a much shorter time span.

I missed some of the show due to figure skating in the Olympics, but I did see most of it.  I found myself pondering on the Jacob/Smokey thing.  If they were/are enemies, which one is the good guy?  It has seemed all along as if Smokey is evil.  If Jacob was his enemy, and Jacob is the good one, then does that make those who follow him good - like Ben?!  Or are they both just evil rivals?  At the beginning of the season, I thought that Locke was going to replace Jacob.  Then when Sayid came back to life, I thought he might be the new Jacob.  So, Locke is the new Smokey and Sawyer is the new Jacob?  Very interesting.  The kid is interesting too - seems like Smokey has a boss, after all.  He might have been warning Smokey not to kill Sawyer, or he might have been chastising him for having killed Jacob.

Only a few episodes in, and I am really, really enjoying this season!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Yup in the episode where Sawyer asks Ben don't you read. Then Ben asks the same question when he shows him that they were on the other island (after making Sawyer believe he put a pacemaker in him so that he could keep him under control as well as Kate who would keep Jack under control (and make him do his back surgery). Good catch

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Yeah I keep saying that they are going to put our a great box set when it ends probably a plane (815) or a hatch or something along w/all these great extras which for those of us who have been buying them all along get screwed out of :womansad:

Yeah the whole Jacob Man in Black thing is confusing now since we don't know who's the good one and who's the bad one. From what FLocke said to Sawyer it makes Jacob look like the master manipulator but could he be the master manipulator trying to get his side of recruites. Just glad we found out what the #'s mean but why was Kate not there?????

Yeah I think now that we are in the end stretch we'll get at least one answer per show and we're in for a great ride to the end (which is set for Sunday May 23) from what Lindeloff & Cuse said on Jimmy Kimmel it is at least 3 hours an hour recap and then the 2 hour finale. Which just having checked my calendar means we go straight thru no breaks which is GREAT:womanhappy:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but sad that it's over. :smileysad: but from what I read online we still will have Jin in Hawaii since he's signed on for the updated Hawaii 5-0

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Remember when Russo captured Sayid waaaaayyy back when (first season?) and she "tortured" him to see if he was "infected."

That's a question answered, eh?

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Yeah but Rousseau thought the same thing of Jin last season when he was leaping in & out on her. It's all to do w/Smokey and what he does (if it is him and not Jacob manipulating the situation). But we don't know. I think that Dogen was trying to find out who had "control" of Sayid them or Smokey (that's why he tried the ash thing guess it's like garlic w/vampires. Right now we are at the mercy of Cuse & Lindeloff and their writers cause they give us these little nuggets of answers (like what the #'s mean) and then bring up a lot more questions. I just am going to sit back and enjoy the ride since they haven't disappointed yet.

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

OKAY Great episode. Jack is starting to notice things like the appendix scar that he got on the island but his sideways life he had that from when he was a kid. That kid omg he looked like he spit him out the really cast that kid well (unless he really is fox’s kid gotta check that out) but he had his mannerisms and everything great job there. But again we go back to Father & Son problems nothing seems to break the chain on this.

Also games play a very big part in everything that they do someone’s always playing some game. Oh and who’s coming to the island Widmore?, Walt?, Des?, Faraday’s Mom????? Really want to know who they are waiting for.

Notice also the Alice in Wonderland reference (down the rabbit hole, thru the looking glass) lots of references in this interesting that Jack used to read it to his son. I do want to know if Claire was leaping at the same time that rest of them were or was she left out since she was away from them before they started the leaping. I did notice that she had the cradle like Rousseau did and also the TNT that Rousseau had. I did like that she killed the guy made us know how over the edge she was but she’s right they would have probably come after her if she didn’t get rid of him. But Jin is scared **bleep**less now wonder if she really believed him when he said that he lied about Kate that they temple people really still had Aaron. Can’t wait to see that meeting of Claire & Kate when Kate says I’ve come to bring you back to your mom & son since last Claire knew her mom was in a coma. What came first Claire’s sickness or her torture????? Was her friend Smokey who took her off or was it Christian that she followed (and was Christian or Smokey in disguise?) Also is Saywer right behind FLocke (or the Lockeness Monster as he is being referred to as well :smileyvery-happy:) ?

I did like the new Hurley he’s got some more confidence that he didn’t have before he was funny when they were walking and he was talking to Jack about the good old days walking thru the jungle. He’s great. It was interesting that the lighthouse showed Jack his house. If I was Hurley & my name was there I would have wanted to see what my # showed but of course Jack being rash Jack he smashed the stuff before we/Hurley could see. I wonder what the repercussions are going to be from Jack doing this and again who’s coming ????? 

Jack’s sideways was interesting like I said above still w/the father & son issues (guess that’s why he said to Hurley he’d be a terrible dad and in the sideways he kind of was). It was interesting that his kid played piano and we know that Jack can play since they showed him playing before he got married to Sarah. Also interesting that Jack kind of had some flash or recognition when his mom said did he know a Claire Littleton things are starting to “come back” to him it seems. Wonder what the trigger will be that merges the sideways world w/island world. It was also interesting that Dogen appeared to Jack in his sideways.

Also wonder if the coming attractions or lack there of means it’s a really great episode or just trying to build suspense.

dulcinea3

My big question in the lighthouse was whose name it was next to the number that Jacob had told Hurley to turn to?  I don't think they showed that.  Once Jack saw his own name next to 23, he was only interested in that number.  My first reaction to his breaking the mirrors was that he had destroyed something that they could have gotten valuable information from; my second was that this had been Jacob's intention all along - for Jack to smash the mirrors.  Also, as soon as they walked in, I wondered about a parallel between this wheel and the one that shifted the island.

For goodness' sake - when are Jin and Sun going to be reunited?!  And Claire is one scary chick!!!

And obviously the sideways time is not at all just a reset to them being on the plane and what would have happened if they hadn't crashed - many of them have very different lives than they originally had.  Could it be a reset to what they would have been if Jacob had never entered their lives?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Not sure about who's name was there have to go back and slo-mo that to see. I do think that Jacob is manipulating Jack so that's why at this stage of the game we don't know if he's a good guy or a bad guy. That is an interesting theory of how the lighthouse & the monkey wheel work do they move you back in time & space or it that only the monkey wheel and the lighthouse shows you a window into the past (and maybe future but we'll never know since Jack smashed it).

Yeah Claire is one scary chick but so was Rousseau.

As for the sideways I'll say it again to get what I think is an insight into what they are doing read Replay by Ken Grimwood.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Replay/Ken-Grimwood/e/9780688161125/?pwb=2 

In 1988, forty-three-year-old Jeff Winston died of a heart attack. But then he awoke, and it was 1963; Jeff was eighteen all over again, his memory of the next two decades intact. This time around, Jeff would gain all the power and wealth he never had before. This time around he'd know how to do it right. Until next time.

Is this what Juliet put into play a replay for all of them if the plane didn't crash or if Jacob didn't touch them. We don't know at this point also how they all still play a part in each others lives. So far we've seen Jack with Locke, Locke w/Hurley, Rose w/Locke, Kate with Claire and Ethan, Locke w/Ben (so it looks like Locke is the key person (so far). Is that because he's smokey now or something else.

Yeah as for Sun & Jin I think they've got a while before they get back together but I do want to see how/if they get out of LAX since he got pulled aside. Who or how do they get out of that? Who was he meeting there - Widmore?

dulcinea3

Hmmm.  But in that book Replay, when he got back to 18, did he find that his whole life up until he was 18 had been different than it had been before, or was it the same, and he just got to redo the time from 18 on?  In this case, their lives before the plane appear to have changed, too.

On a blog, I found something neat - before each episode, if you have the first season, watch the corresponding episode from season 1.  (I don't have the first season.)  This episode was the fifth.  Apparently the character they focus on in each episode corresponds, so both seasons' fifth episode focused on Jack.  You noted the Alice in Wonderland reference - the first season's episode was called 'White Rabbit'.  That was also the episode where Jack was following his father and found the cave, that he and Hurley revisited in this episode.  And, of course, that old episode dealt with Jack's father/son relationship with his father, and this one deals with his father/son relationship with his son.  Things are connected, but reversed.  In season 1's episode, Claire was sick and in a tent being tended to by others; in this one, she's in a tent and tending to Jin's wounds.  Jack and his father couldn't come to terms; Jack and his son finally do.  I'm wondering if the 4th episode was the one where Rousseau captured Sayid at the end, as Claire did with Jin at the end of the last episode.  Rousseau was not infected, but Sayid, we now know, was eventually going to be.  Opposite: Claire is the infected one and Jin is not.

Now I'm even more anxious for the whole series to be released once this is over, so that I can do this comparison at my leisure!

I also noted that Locke seemed to be meeting up with the most people, and wondered if there was some significance in that, where he was somehow the connecting thread.  I wonder now, though, whether it was just because that was a Locke episode, since in this one Jack met up with Dogen, and that was not connected with Locke.  I've thought for a long time, since the first season, that Locke is somehow the key to all this, though.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

On a blog, I found something neat - before each episode, if you have the first season, watch the corresponding episode from season 1.  (I don't have the first season.)  This episode was the fifth.  Apparently the character they focus on in each episode corresponds, so both seasons' fifth episode focused on Jack.  You noted the Alice in Wonderland reference - the first season's episode was called 'White Rabbit'.  That was also the episode where Jack was following his father and found the cave, that he and Hurley revisited in this episode.  And, of course, that old episode dealt with Jack's father/son relationship with his father, and this one deals with his father/son relationship with his son.  Things are connected, but reversed.  In season 1's episode, Claire was sick and in a tent being tended to by others; in this one, she's in a tent and tending to Jin's wounds.  Jack and his father couldn't come to terms; Jack and his son finally do.  I'm wondering if the 4th episode was the one where Rousseau captured Sayid at the end, as Claire did with Jin at the end of the last episode.  Rousseau was not infected, but Sayid, we now know, was eventually going to be.  Opposite: Claire is the infected one and Jin is not.

Now I'm even more anxious for the whole series to be released once this is over, so that I can do this comparison at my leisure!

I also noted that Locke seemed to be meeting up with the most people, and wondered if there was some significance in that, where he was somehow the connecting thread.  I wonder now, though, whether it was just because that was a Locke episode, since in this one Jack met up with Dogen, and that was not connected with Locke.  I've thought for a long time, since the first season, that Locke is somehow the key to all this, though.

What blog was this?  My husband has found a few, I'm always curious to find a new one that he hasn't found yet.  :smileyhappy:

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Not sure if the past changed on the Replay's but they haven't showed that much changed except for the defining moments for people (like Hurley having good luck since he won the lotto and Locke not being so beaten down by life like he was before) have to see how it plays out but it looks like the took some of that and worked it into this season.

I've read that as well how they seasons match up 1 &6, 2 & 5 and 3 & 4. I did catch the Alice in Wonderland link it's great how they are working this all back in. I think the two defining people of the show are Locke and Jack (while we all may have our favorites (Sawyer :smileywink:) Jack & Locke seem to be the forces on the show faith vs science, now good vs evil they are the two warring sides can't wait to see how it pans out.

dulcinea3

basson_mommy12 wrote:

What blog was this?  My husband has found a few, I'm always curious to find a new one that he hasn't found yet.  :smileyhappy:

The blog in general is called 'Project Rungay', and is written by two hilarious guys (Tom and Lorenzo, aka T-Lo).  They tend to review a number of different shows that they watch (obviously it all started with Project Runway!), and also critique fashion collections and looks.  To find the Lost entries, look for titles like 'Lost: S5E5' (season 6, episode 5).  You'll have to page back to earlier entries.

http://projectrungay.blogspot.com/

Enjoy!

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Well last night's episode was really interesting. So Sayid still did not get Nadia but his brother did (giving her up since he was not worthy a typical LOST theory worthiness). Also interesting that Keemy was the guy who loaned his brother the money for the business and that was who Jin was meeting in LA. Guess he's mixed up w/Sun's father and going a little further Charles Widmore since Widmore sent Keemy to the island on the freighter.

Sayid still cannot win. He get's banished from the group (like he banished himself when he tortured Saywer) only to meet up with someone in the jungle (Rousseau originally, Locke now). I knew he was not going to kill Flocke since Dogen said you have to kill him before he speaks. Sayid is not stupid why did he allow that to happen was that the evil in him or the clever soldier???

I like this new Claire she's a kick ass take no prisoners girl and dumb Kate thinking she's going to help Claire who only wants to kill her since she took her baby. Can't wait to see the throw down that will be once they get thru the woods or will Claire believe her that she left Aaron with her mom oh & that Claire's mom is out of her coma and fine & dandy.

It was interesting how Flocke, Sayid & Claire all had weird looks on their faces when they were going into the jungle. Like people under the influence. I did like that Sayid is back to his old violent ways and that he took out Dogen and that John Lennon wannabe. Was that on Flockes orders or just taking the initiative like a good soldier.:smileyvery-happy:

I was a little nervous for dear old Miles thought he might have gotten smacked by Smokey but luckily he was able to hid out & what is that hideout where does it go to and why wasn't Smokey able to get to them (maybe he didn't want to get to them). Also anyone else notice that the only person to pick up a weapon as they were leaving was Kate?

Also didn't like that we didn't get to see Sawyer or Jin but from I think it was Claire who said that he came with Jin. Would have liked to have seen that reunion and really more of what was said when Claire left them to go w/Flocke to the temple.

Now wonder if they are going to the lighthouse and if someone is still coming or was that Smokey that Jacob referenced.

Also interesting how both Smokey/Flocke and Jacob bribe or tempt people with their hearts desire to get what they want/need out of them. I wondered why Flocke didn't say Shannon when Sayid said he lost the only woman he loved. Didn't he love Shannon????? Guess she was only a one night stand for him.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Wow last night's episode was intense!  Probably the best of this season, so far.  When this show started I never really expected it to be that action-oriented, but they do it really well.

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Yeah the fight scenes were great and I just read that they did them all themselves. Looks like they are going out with a bang not a whimper. :smileyvery-happy: