Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: Books on Lost

Who didn't get teary-eyed when Jin and Sun finally saw each other and reunited? :smt022

I also think that Sayid did not kill Desmond, but if not, I wonder what changed his mind. Do you think he's suddenly come out of the kind of spell that Smokey has had him in?

If Jack's plan is to stay on the island to foil Smokey's plot, I wonder how he will manage to resist being forced to go. Also, is he now under the Locke Monster's influence, after the blast? When he first came up onto the beach after his swim, I suddenly thought that he might just be the new Jacob, out of the 'candidates'.

We finally got an answer - it was Smokey who was impersonating Jack's father and probably others that the survivors saw, as well (maybe even Kate's horse?). I still want to know who that jungle kid is, though!

Lots of character intersections in sideways time. Claire/Desmond/Jack/Ilana. Locke/Ben/Sun/Jack. Sun obviously recognized Locke as they were being wheeled into the hospital. I'm not sure what Desmond was up to with Claire, bringing her to the lawyer (Ilana). I'm not sure that he knew anything about them looking for her because of Jack's father's will.

I hope that Widmore's people don't kill Sawyer, Kate, Hurley, etc! I doubt that they will, but they certainly have them in position to execute them if they want, and Widmore doesn't seem to want to deal with them. Killing them would certainly prevent Locke from rounding them up and getting off the island with them

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

I agree with you Dulcinea3, I don't think Sayid killed Desmond.  I don't think Jack is under the power of Smokey.  He was as suffering as much off the island as Locke, nearly killing himself by default through drug and alcohol abuse.  He's not going to make that mistake again.

When all the characters ended up in Jack's hospital, it's like they're being thrown in the same place so there can be an equal balance exchange ala "Fringe" if you watch that show, too.  If not, you don't know what I'm talking about.  LOL  Go J.J. Abrams.

In regards to the Oceanic 6 being exexcuted... might it be like Michael on the freighter, Jack and Richard in the Black Rock -- is it possible for the candidates to be killed?  Or is the island done with them?  I supposed Claire and Kate can be killed for sure since they aren't candidates (suspected candidate in Sun's case).

Smokey was awesome, showing more and more of his "self," in comparison to Locke.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Good catch with the idea of candidates being able to be killed. Since I can’t believe they are all dead. Bye Frank, Bye Sayid, Bye Sun & Jin :womansad:. Holy **** they killed them all. I guess that’s why next weeks show is why they had to die. It’s a Smokey Jacob episode so maybe we’ll find out why he needed them all dead to get off the island. Even in death though Frank – had a great line – Oh Crap I think it was:smileyvery-happy:, Sayid the hero Nadia would be proud of and Sun & Jin always together not even death could part them (although it was kind of a titanic moment where there hands broke apart but in this both die:womansad:.

Alright so let’s start at the beginning Jack get’s to operate on Locke and it was the same type of surgery that he told Kate about on day one where the dural (?) sack got torn so he saves Locke but Locke doesn’t want to walk again. So he was a pilot (wonder if that’s why Smokey wanted Locke back on the island so that he can fly out of there since Frank is dead since he seems to have some of Lockes memories/feelings.) and his first solo he crashes the plane w/his dad on it wonder if he knew his dad was a con man? But I guess Sawyer can stop looking since he now can’t hurt anyone else by his cons. I liked how they put Bernard in there for a quickie too. I did think that Smokey would get Lapidis if he went out of the cage (yeah back in the cages but this time instead of it being Sawyer who’s going to get killed it’s Kate and Sawyer knew that if he didn’t do it that Widmore would have killed her since she’s not needed anymore. Wonder what made her not a candidate? Anyway so I knew something was up when Flocke took the watch off the dead guy & saw the same dynamite on the plane the same dynamite that was on the boat. I did feel bad for Claire that she got left behind but it seemed like Flocke wanted to save her does he really like her???? Is he Aaron since he talked about a crazy mother or is it something else that made him save her or was it just hey be glad you’re not there cause boom they dead. How did he know that they were not all dead or was he referring to Desmond & Ben (where is he by the way). Ok and for ONCE Jack was right and Sawyer was wrong . Jack’s finally got it and unfortunately his previous mistakes are causing people not to trust him. Now Sawyer has to live w/knowing he caused Frank, Sayid, Sun & Jin’s death. Jin knew that they were going to die but he would not leave her he gave her his promise (dumb a$$ you have a kid who is now going to be raised by the same **bleep** parents your wife was nice jacka$$) sorry to see them all go. Can’t wait for next week to see what happens. I did like the alt world final meeting w/Jack and Locke how Jack told Locke you need to let your dad go and that he hadn’t but John should go first. Also what was the box that Claire had was that a link to the mirrors in the lighthouse? So Jack offers a total stranger (who is his half sister) to live w/him why????? She could be a crazy. Also why hasn’t she had the kid yet. And now that Sayid, Jin and Sun are all dead what does that mean to their alt selves? I think they’ll all be back for the finale which I just read is now 2 & ½ hours instead of 2. Just blew me away last night I did fear that Sawyer would be one to go did not think that they were going to kill who they did so who knows at this point it’s all up for grabs (although I don’t think Jack will be one of the dead if anymore do go). Oh and Sayid did give it away that Des is still alive he told Jack that he needed him and he was in the well (go get help Lassie there’s a man stuck in a well ). Let's see 2 more episodes before the finale going to be great.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Hey guys they just announced they are adding an additional 30 mins to the finale.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Re: Literarily Lost TV Show

So what did you all think about the finale? 

I feel like I'm still digesting and processing.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

I was good with most of it the only part I didn't like was the part in the chruch. Felt it was a cop out. They had always said it was not purgatory or whatever but here they go and put the purgatory in the sideways world which is where they all had to meet up so that they could finish their journey.

It looked like what it was a group of people saying goodbye. It was the way to get the whole cast (except for Ben, Michael & Walt oh and Vincent) there for one last group shot.

Now it left me with a lot of questions but then would it be LOST if it hadn't. Funny things was the only scene that got to me was the final one where Vincent layed down next to Jack. He showed him the way onto the island and then was there with him at the end it was fitting. But all the other "reunions" really not one of them made me even a little teary even the one I was waiting for team Suliet. They were great and a good way to give the fans what they wanted (Kate picked Jack over Sawyer but that's okay he had picked Juliet over her) but still there were a lot of questions not answered.

What does everyone else think. Like I said i would have been fine with it all if they took the church scene out it did give us one answer that everything that happened happened it was all real the sideways world was not. I wonder if David (Jack's son in the sideways world) was him raising him so that Jack could learn to be a better son to his father and forgive his father for being who he was. It looked like once Jack learned acceptance he was ready to finish his journey.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

I have decided that I liked it.  It still left the unanswered questions about what the island is, what the light is... I think those were always McGuffins - tools to propel the story, without having to chose a specific religious doctrine.  I knew there was something hinky when the writers where giving hints with the unexplained scars and injuries on Jack during the sideways scenes. 

I cried my little eyes out the whole time.  I was especially touched when Hurley and Ben appreciated each other at the end.  It made me wonder how long there were there, protecting the island.

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I loved most of the finale, but then was very disappointed in the very ending.  I did feel that it was a kind of cop-out that they were all dead.  It was just very odd that they were living regular-type lives, with jobs and all, for years, and then it was suddenly time for them all to move on.  Well, I guess maybe not all of them - where, for instance, were Richard, Miles, and Lapidus?  Richard was one of the most interesting characters in the series, and I would have liked to have seen what finally happened to him.

My favorite moments were when Sun and Jin remembered, in the hospital, and then when Sawyer and Juliet remembered - I do admit to getting teary-eyed then.  Until they showed the pilot the night before, I had forgotten that Shannon and Sayid were a couple.  I never liked her much, and didn't think she was good enough for Sayid, so I could have done without that reunion.

Now I can't wait for the boxed set, which is coming out on August 24 (available for pre-order now)!  It is supposed to have some more answers revealed, too.

Lost: The Complete Collection 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I loved most of the finale, but then was very disappointed in the very ending.  I did feel that it was a kind of cop-out that they were all dead.  It was just very odd that they were living regular-type lives, with jobs and all, for years, and then it was suddenly time for them all to move on.  Well, I guess maybe not all of them - where, for instance, were Richard, Miles, and Lapidus?  Richard was one of the most interesting characters in the series, and I would have liked to have seen what finally happened to him.

My favorite moments were when Sun and Jin remembered, in the hospital, and then when Sawyer and Juliet remembered - I do admit to getting teary-eyed then.  Until they showed the pilot the night before, I had forgotten that Shannon and Sayid were a couple.  I never liked her much, and didn't think she was good enough for Sayid, so I could have done without that reunion.

Now I can't wait for the boxed set, which is coming out on August 24 (available for pre-order now)!  It is supposed to have some more answers revealed, too.

Lost: The Complete Collection 

Ah!  Our hold-out wish is true!  A complete boxed set! 

The more I think about the finale, the more I like it.  I liked the reunion of Sayid & Shannon, because the sideways went on and on about his non-love affair with Nadia, but that was not the true turning point or issue he had left to deal with - it was Shannon!  Sayid was lucky enough to have two true loves.   She was his connection to the island, which brought him to the crossing over.

There are still so many unanswered questions.  I'm glad that the non-losties (Lepidus, Miles) got away safely.  I wonder if Kate and Sawyer stayed together?

I think any show that leaves me thinking for weeks after its conclusion is a great and powerful thing.  Thank you to J.J. Abrams and the rest of the people of Lost.

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

I thought there might be something with Jack and the scars but it turned out different then what I thought. I did like the Hurley/Ben interaction but I am disappointed that we didn't get more answers. I felt we the faithful viewers deserved more then what we got out of the finale. While it was good it was not what I wanted. I'm sure there were LOADS of people who just loved it but I think there just as many who HATED it and are mad that we didn't get all the answers we wanted and Lindeloff/Cuse said they weren't going to do that but come on give us some more. Such a big deal was made out of Walt and how special he was any kids being special and the baby thing why could kids not be born on that island, why did Dharma go there and who was Mitmos and that other company I could go on and on with all the questions I have that were not answered maybe one day in the far future we may get the answers we want. Who knows.

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

I did like the "reunions" and the hand that Hurley had played in some of them like Shannon and Sayid and how they tied Boone into it as well they worked them in quite well and I liked how they all "remembered" wonder if that was when they died and met up whoever came up last was who died last?

As for the box set that always ticks me off that they put out this SPECIAL set and those of us who faithfully pre-ordered all the seasons as they came out and picked them up the day they came out now they're putting out a series box set and all those extras that come with it won't be with the season 6 box set that they'll put out. It's made me stop buying box sets when they come out season by season I'll just wait until the series is done and then maybe buy it as the whole collection.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Diane32 wrote:

I did like the "reunions" and the hand that Hurley had played in some of them like Shannon and Sayid and how they tied Boone into it as well they worked them in quite well and I liked how they all "remembered" wonder if that was when they died and met up whoever came up last was who died last?

As for the box set that always ticks me off that they put out this SPECIAL set and those of us who faithfully pre-ordered all the seasons as they came out and picked them up the day they came out now they're putting out a series box set and all those extras that come with it won't be with the season 6 box set that they'll put out. It's made me stop buying box sets when they come out season by season I'll just wait until the series is done and then maybe buy it as the whole collection.

Ah, that's too bad!  Dulcinea3 and I have been holding out until the super-mega-boxed set comes out at the end of the run.   Thankfully, Netflix had most (if not all?  I'm not sure) of the previous seasons available for instant viewing if a review was necessary.

There were questions left unanswered in the finale, for sure.  Nothing would have completely satisfied me, but I laughed and cried; it pushed all my emotional buttons.  Very few things on tv do that.

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Now the big question for me is whether I pre-order the set to make sure I get a copy, or wait until it comes out and go to the store to buy it!  I was tempted to order it right away, but now that B&N has canceled online membership discounts, I should get it in the store.  What a pain!  But for a big set like this, I definitely want to get my discount!  I used to order online constantly, but now I am discouraged from doing so.  Oh, well, more money in my pocket if I buy less!

I am still really excited about the set.  I am hoping that the episodes will have the feature of those pop-up comments that they used when they showed reruns.  I think they only did that the last few seasons, but since they did go back and add them to the pilot when they showed it recently, I am hoping that they did it to all.  I would imagine it would be an optional thing to show them or not.  Sometimes they pointed out things that I would not have noticed otherwise.  I am also wondering if the creators' hints that there will be additional answers will be delivered through that method.  I also believe that the set will be letter-boxed.  I'm not sure how they manage that, since the series was not originally shown that way, but I did notice that they showed the pilot in letter-box format in the recent showing.

Although I must say that this limited edition season 5 set also looks intriguing; I wish they could have included all this stuff, too!

dharma kit

The set looks pretty cool:

Special Features
• One full disc of never-before-seen content
• Special edition collectible Senet game as seen in Season 6
• Custom LOST island replica
• Exclusive episode guide
• Collectible ankh
• Black light
• Plus all episodes and 30+ hours of bonus from Seasons 1-6
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

I did read online that they are adding an additional scene to the season 6 boxset that is Hurley's time (w/Ben) on the island and that it will answer some questions. ALSO WALT!!! will be there or mentioned. I think I read he'll be in it (original kid too yeah!). Not sure who else will take part or what else is going to happen but it is suppose to answer some more questions. Which I think they did as part of the plan all along since I think the powers that be knew that not quite a few people would not be satisfied w/their ending so that's why they did this wrap up for the box set also a good way to get people to buy it. It will be in both the series boxset and the season 6 one from what I read.