Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Star_Gazer

Literarily Lost TV Show

I have been watching Lost TV show from the first episode.  I didn't find out how bookcentric it was until recently.  I just bought the first recommended book Island by aldous huxley, and I can't believe how many parallels there are to the show.  I am only up to chapter 5 but they are talking about stations, faith versus science, and a station that makes insecticde as a cover for making nerve gas (think the purge).  I read that the tie in for this book was in the pilot episode there was a sign near a dock that read Pala Island (name of island in the book)  I don't recall this?  Anyone familiar or read this book?
Contributor
Star_Gazer

Re: Literarily Lost TV Show

Ok, I just finished watching the new show. I can't believe how they ended it. Sayid meets little Ben.  OMG!!!  Sawyer pulled a power play on Jack, Sun knocked out adult Ben.  I loved how they showed Lapidus flying the plane, and there was the famous runway.  Everyone kept saying that is what Sawyer and Kate were building when they were captured by the others, but it can't be bec it was built before they arrived.  The real shocker was the babies name Ethan.  Did you see Juilet's face?  Little Ethan OMG!!!  I never would have gussed that.  I wonder if the thing in the woods was smokey or a polar bear.  That was freaky with Jack's dad, Sun and Lapidus in the shack.  Oh, well, off to read more of the book to see how it all ties in, and where ideas came from for the show.
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Star_Gazer wrote:
Ok, I just finished watching the new show. I can't believe how they ended it. Sayid meets little Ben.  OMG!!!  Sawyer pulled a power play on Jack, Sun knocked out adult Ben.  I loved how they showed Lapidus flying the plane, and there was the famous runway.  Everyone kept saying that is what Sawyer and Kate were building when they were captured by the others, but it can't be bec it was built before they arrived.  The real shocker was the babies name Ethan.  Did you see Juilet's face?  Little Ethan OMG!!!  I never would have gussed that.  I wonder if the thing in the woods was smokey or a polar bear.  That was freaky with Jack's dad, Sun and Lapidus in the shack.  Oh, well, off to read more of the book to see how it all ties in, and where ideas came from for the show.

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Sorry but it was the runway that Kate & Sawyer were building since Sun & Frank are in present day they didn't leap back in time like the other 4 did (not sure why but I'm sure they'll tell us). Remember Christian says to them that they will have to go a long way back to get to their friends.  Yeah not sure if that was Smokey, Christian, or something else that was rustling in the bushes by the dock.  Yeah interesting that the baby is Ethan but how does he survive the purge?  Also wasn't it great when Jack comes to Suliet's (Juliet & Sawyer) house got a little surprise there didn't he J but interesting how Sawyer puts Jack in his place when he tells him that he things before acting where Jack is all about the reacting. Also how cool that he works Winston Chruchill into the conversation man the guy is not a dope that's for sure. Anyone catch what he was reading when Jack stops by. Sawyer is right he gets a plan & then goes & so far everyone has been kept safe Jack just rushed around all rightous & gets people killed so does Kate (remember when she follows them into the woods when they go looking for Walt & gets caught so they have to give up their guns to Mr. Friendly).  Can't wait to see how the love quadrangle works it's way out & from what the previews show it may be a cat fight for the head of security. I think what may be the downfall of the group is that Kate & Jack can't get past the past while Sawyer & Juliet have learned how to go on & survive. I think the downfall is going to be that Jack & Kate can't get past the past prejudices for Juliet & Sawyer who have gotten past it & I think really have a real relationship. Jack seems to have a hard time (ok who didn't laugh when Jack was made a workman GO SAWYER) adjusting to not being in charge. Also Hurley always there for the good laugh (Nama what?) or the emotional moment (the moment he has w/Sawyer when they meet again missed ya man L  Wonder who is going to be bombing the place I think it's that guy Phil he's very suspicious something about him is setting my radar off not really feeling him.  Also funny how Amy asks Juliet when her & James are going to have a little one of their own wouldn't that be interesting if she was pregnant & they go into the present day what will happen to her?  Couple of questions any clue to what Sawyer meant when he said that Daniel is not there did he mean off the island or off his rocker?  Also for Ben since in the original past they weren't there is he now remembering what happens like Desmond did when Faraday went to him during a leap & tells Des to go find his mother?  Oh & from the coming attractions does Sayid mean that he's there to kill Ben as a child? Would they do that? Looks like at cat fight for Juliet & Kate over the head of security can't wait for that one sorry but I hope that Juliet wins she's better for Sawyer then Kate is.
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Yeah I haven't read that one but I do like how this is a very literate show and how they work the thems of these (even the obscure ones) into the show. It's much better then Oprah's bookclub the LOST one much more diverse titles like Are You There God It's Me Margaret to Carrie to a Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawkings (isn't Hawkings Eliose's last names coincidence probably not).

I like how they work themes of these books into the show like when Sawyer quotes of Mice & Men to Ben & asks him if he reads & then Ben quotes it back to Sawyer & asks the same question. Or like how you are saying they are pulling from literature to add to the aura & mythology of the show.  Or how Juliet is like Carrie the girl on the outside of the popular group

Did anyone happen to catch what Sawyer was reading last night I didn't catch it.

Contributor
Star_Gazer

Ok, I understand about the runway now.  I really want to see the book that Sawyer was reading.  I DVRed the show, so I will try to play it in slowmo, but it was dark.  I think they just won't show us the book.  I think the preview for next week is how they get Sayid out of the lockup.  They have to fake a hostile breakin and that is why they burn the house...wonder who's house they set on fire.  I also wonder how Lapidus and Sun are going to get back to the past.  If they turn the wheel that will upset everything.  I am guessing they will have to meet up with Locke.  Locke will have his hands full with the two new characters.  They don't seem to be like Palo and Nikki, but they still agravate me a little.
Contributor
TVGAL242

Was anyone else totally freaked out by the little boy they picked to play the young Ben? OMG. Those eyes. Even behind the glasses. Chills. His name is Sterling Beaumon (pretty fancy name, huh?)http://www.imdb.com/media/rm177640448/nm1869029. By the look on Sayid's face, someone better get that kid a bodyguard. I'm just saying. Especially since the previews show Sayid telling someone, "Now I know why I came back." Hello. He's going to kill creepy little Ben. Or at least try. The whole not changing the past thing may get in the way. 

I too was trying to see the name of the book Sawyer was reading, but it seems the producers are toying with us and kept it obscured.

Sawyer's encounter with Jack was awesome. "That's how I run things. I think." Is is possible that Sawyer is not even hotter since he's in charge. It's like, There's a new captain steering this boat, baby. Step aside. Hah!

New User
valley_girlNYC

I agree that Juliet is better for Sawyer.  Kate has outworn her welcome.  She's so fickle and only wants what she can't have.  I hope Juliet kicks Kate's booty.  And Jack is a total control freak.  I'm sick of him too and I'm soooo glad Sawyer put workman Jack in his place. 

I think Daniel F. is in another time zone -- he seems to have the ability to time travel without the island shifting.  From the previews it was also my thought that Sayid is there to kill young Ben before he has a chance to wipe out the Dharma Initiative in the purge.  My only question is how he can do that in the past since Ben is alive in the present? But then again, if Locke could die and become resurrected on the island, I suppose anything is possible on this show.  I love Lost :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Yeah Sawyer is definately hotter now in his cute little Dharma jumpsuit :smileywink: seems like he grew up so to speak while he's been on the island. He's come to terms w/his past and has grown into a right repsectible person what he always wanted to be but couldn't becaue he needed to get revenge for his parents. Once he killed "The Man From Tallahasse" Tom Sawyer - Locke's dad he was able to let it all go & that's why he can play house w/Juliet. I know a lot of people don't like that pairing but I do. She treats him like an equal and they are smart together she can keep up w/him w/his banter. Josh Holloway should be thanking those writers everyday they give him all the best lines & if he doesn't get them then it's Jorge Garcia - Hurley I know any scene w/them is going to be great & put them together it's the new Butch & Sundance :smileyvery-happy:. Anyway yeah I'm wondering too if Ben's memories will change depending on what's happened on the island. Also does Ben become evil Ben because not only how badly he was treated by his Dad but also by how the Oceanic group treats him. I do think they are leading us to believe that Sayid is going to kill Ben but can he? Remember how Michael couldn't kill himself no matter how hard he tried it wasn't his time so maybe Sayid won't be able to (don't think ABC wants that bad press that's for sure).

Can't wait for next week when we see the cat fight from the two ladies over Sawyer. Should be interesting my money's on Juliet she may look soft but she's a tough cookie.

New User
valley_girlNYC

My friend Tanya and I were having a Juliet vs. Kate debate offline, and I thought I'd share. T thinks Juliet is bland, and she could definitely use a makeover.  But I'd rather see Sawyer with anyone but Kate.  She had her chance and she didn't come back for him.  Kate came back because of whatever she did with Aaron and she has nowhere else to go.
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

I'm having that same argument with my friend Suzanne she's a MAJOR Sawyer fan as am I (we fight over him :smileyvery-happy:) but she's totaly a Skate person & not a Suliet fan.

Now I've read on other sites that the Jack- Sawyer talk last night had Sawyer the bad guy for being snotty to Jack but Jack started it by saying to Sawyer should he be doing something other then reading? Jack always looked down his big nose on Sawyer & now that Sawyer is in charge he's not liking it (making him the janator was funny but it does allow Jack to go anywhere & not be limited to one location thus giving him more access to stuff then he would have if he came over as a doctor right?????)

Reader
Chet_Guevara

Books on Lost

I always thought the "great books" theme on Lost was pretentious. That said, my favorite book moment was in Season 1, when Sawyer first discovered that he needed glasses. I'm pretty sure he was reading Judy Blume. Am I right?
Contributor
TVGAL242

Re: Books on Lost

Yes, it was Are You There God, It's Me Margaret; essential reading for young girls coming of age. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Are-You-There-God-Its-Me-Margaret/Judy-Blume/e/9780440904199/?itm=3

Which made it all the more hilarious that it was Sawyer who was reading it.

Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

That's what I like so much about the character is how well read he is all he does is read from magazines (remember Charlie following him around w/Aaron & Sawyer reading out loud to keep Aaron quiet) to Judy Blume it doesn't matter what it is guess he really got the old RIF program (reading is fundamental :smileyvery-happy:). I did always wonder how he grew up since we know that his Dad killed his Mom due to being swindled by Lockes Dad where & how did he grow up. Was he raised in privilege or poverty? I do remember him talking about Little House (with Kate & she mocked him you call it Little House?) when he was out sick w/mono but that's about all he ever said about his childhood & we only got that one flashback were his dad kills his mom.
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Hey someone just mentioned to me that they saw Claire in the background when Christian was showing Sun the photo of the Dharma group from 77 anyone else see that?
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos
Contributor
TVGAL242

There is an extensive list of books referenced on the show! I will post shortly.

Contributor
Star_Gazer

Yes, Sawyer was reading are you there God it's me Margaret.  That was a funny book to have him read, but you have to think at first they only had access to whatever was on the plane.  The only gimic was the Bad Twin book that was supposedly written by someone that died in the tragic 815 flight.  A lot of friends and me rushed out and bought the book only to find a couple of paragraphs about the show, and really nothing that drove the plot or explained anything.
Correspondent
Diane32
0 Kudos

Yeah I ran out & bought it as well what I liked about how the brought it onto the show was how I think it was Hurley threatened to burn the end of the book on Sawyer if he didn't do what Hurley wanted him to do. I think they mentioned Cindy the stewardess in the book but that was about it from what I remember.
Contributor
TVGAL242

[ Edited ]

Sawyer has made references to or been seen reading several books throughout the show. Some are:

Watership Down  - "Confidence Man" (Season 1) and "Left Behind" (Season 3)

Lord of the Flies  - ..."In Translation" (Season 1)

A Wrinkle in Time - "Deus Ex Machina" (Season 1)

Lancelot  - "Maternity Leave" (Season 2)

Julius Caesar  - "Two for the Road" (Season 2)

Bad Twin  - "Two for the Road" (Season 2)

Of Mice and Men  - "Every Man for Himself"(Season 2)

The Fountainhead  - "Par Avion"(Season 3)

Evil Under the Sun - "Expose"(Season 3)

The Invention of Morel - "Eggtown"(Season 4)

Sexy and well read? Just dreamy :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by TVGAL242 on 03-19-2009 04:46 PM
Message Edited by TVGAL242 on 03-19-2009 05:04 PM