Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Movie: THE FIGHTER

I saw "The Fighter" on December 17.  One word - Astounding! 

"Rocky" delivered a story about a man who achieved fame through perseverance with the profession of boxing but "The Fighter" goes a step above because it's a true story.  "Irish" Micky Ward (Mark Wahlberg) is just one of the regular blue collar workers in Lowell, Massachusetts who idolizes his brother, Dicky, whose claim to fame was knocking out Sugar Ray Robinson.  Dicky (Christian Bale) has become a coke addict and is taking on as his responsibility the goal that his brother rises to glory through boxing.  Dicky persists that his tutelage will make Micky a star boxer and will not allow anyone to interfere.  There are problems galore with the whole family especially involving the mother, Alice, portrayed by Melissa Leo.  Alice's domination of the family to blind obedience is paramount and she will not allow anyone to break up her family.  It's amusing to see her seven grown daughters surrounding her and nodding to every dictate Alice utters.

While watching this movie, I came to the conclusion that Christian Bale steals the show.  Although he is practically in this movie for as long as Mark Wahlberg, Christian Bale will be delegated to Best Supporting Actor status.  "The Fighter" was filmed in Lowell and the audience can get the feel of the locale. 

I am confident that both Melissa Leo as well as Amy Adams will be nominated for Best Supporting Actress.  In my opinion, Melissa Leo is more deserving.  Of course, Mark Wahlberg will be nominated for Best Actor.

"The Fighter" has an excellent ensemble cast and this loyalty to family ties takes precedence over the boxing theme.  When you see this dysfunctional family finally coming together, this is where the real knockout takes place.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Re: Movie: THE FIGHTER

I have to agree with you. Although Bale hasn't really been mentioned in the reports I've seen his performance was phenomenal. He truly transforms himself. (have to fully disclose here that I am a CB fan).

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Re: Movie: THE FIGHTER

pjpick, I know you are happy that Christian Bale won the Best Supporting Actor Award at the Golden Globes.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"