Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: Musicals, anyone? :D

My absolute favorite musical is "Les Miz".

It has amazingly unforgettable music, as well as a universal, heart-wrenching story of love and redemption.

As a professional musician, I love the contrapuntal music throughout the show.

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
New User
nycgal43
0 Kudos

If you're talking Broadway...A CHORUS LINE hands down.   If you're talking movie musicals...The Garland version of A STAR IS BORN.    

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

Sound of Music and Phantom of the Opera.

pickles-mnl wrote:

call me a loser, if you wish, but i am a HUGE musical lover.

i have so many favorites, i simply cannot narrow them down to one. 

what is your favorite musical and WHY?

Practice patience as a means to an end.

http://nygirltrustnoone.blogspot.com/
Frequent Contributor
Christinewannabe47

Having been skating to classics and musicals from a very young age, I myself have grown to loveeee musicals and operas. From the greats like Phantom of the Opera (Loooooovveeeee), Grease, Westside Story, CATS (though that one's low on the list, don't ask why lol), Sound of Music; to the children's "musicals" of Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, etc. etc. etc. Of course one can't forget A Chorus Line, Carmen, Les Miserables, Moulin Rouge, Singing in the Rain, Hello there Dolly, Chicago, Cabaret, Marry Poppins, and many more that I can't seem to remember right now.....lol. As you can see, I'm a musical freak! :smileyhappy: Even though I can't really sing or dance...which is depressing.

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

Wow!  I forgot about  some of these.  I should have remembered, I was born and raised in New York and I had my share of musicals and plays as well.  Most of the ones you mentioned I have seen and loved. Thanks for reminding me of some wonderful musicals.

liz

Frequent Contributor
Christinewannabe47
0 Kudos

You’re very welcome :smileyhappy:.

Author
Martin_Eisenstadt
0 Kudos

One of my staff members strongly recommended 

Open House  It's a real estate musical starring Anthony Rapp (Rent) and Sally Kellerman (Oscar nominee from MASH). A low budget romp that damn near came close to reinvigorating the Oscar's Best Original Musical category (I think one of the DVD extras explains the story), my intern said.  My biggest beef, though, is that from what I hear, the film also is what popped the real estate bubble by starting the trend of "house humping" - people having sex in open houses. If that's the case, then we have this movie to blame for the subprime mortgage collapse and the world economic crisis.

New User
liquid06
0 Kudos

My absolute most favorite: Singing in the Rain.

Other favorites: An American in Paris, The Producers, RENT...

New User
BookLouvrer

Musicals are my next favorite thing to Art! My favorite I have to say is The Moulin Rouge! (even though it's just on DVD) I also love Chicago, Wicked, and Phantom of the Opera. I also saw Beauty and the Beast on Broadway about 8 years ago and that is what inspired my love for musicals! I also saw Wizard of Oz musical production at a dinner theatre near me where I love. There is just something about a story being told by music and watching it all unfold before your eyes. It makes you want to jump on stage (or in the movie) and just be part of it!!!

I always say my perfect date would be going to an Art Museum and then to a musical (long as you let me pick :smileywink: )

Inspired Contributor
Kimbeey13
0 Kudos

I, unfortunatley, have not seen many musicals, but a few of my favorites are:

Producers

Little Shop of Horrors

I'm also very found of the musical 'Forever Plaid'.

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
0 Kudos

I liked Hairspray.  Just a fun musical.

liz

New User
BookLouvrer
0 Kudos

OOoo! I forgot about Hairspray! That also is a VERY FUN musical!!!! Good choice! :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
twilighterNS
0 Kudos

I like the wizard of Oz musical, I saw it when I was younger and just fell in love with musicals right then.

Noel May Schultz
Reader 2
dare1969
0 Kudos

I have a few/several, Sunday in the Park with George and Lez Miz are at the top of my list.

Contributor
Susie_Schweiger
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy: Mine would have to be"Wicked" the musical. I've working on the first book.  I really wish I had a chance to go to NYC when Idina and Kristen we're doing the original roles

"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone."
— Audrey Hepburn
Wordsmith
Sarah3973
0 Kudos

I LOVE MUSICALS!

On stage, Wicked is the winner hands down.

Wicked: A New Musical [Original Broadway Cast Recording] 

As far as movies goes.........

Funny Girl 

Moulin Rouge 

Grease 

And my all-time favorite guilty pleasure cheesy musical is..........

Xanadu

Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~Author Unknown
Frequent Contributor
BookReader75
0 Kudos

I would guess musical movies would count... Duh

Probally "Singin In The Rain"  and I like "The Wizard Of Oz"  

Me and my family watch those ones alot.

~Tristan Amaya
Correspondent
kelly-leigh
0 Kudos

My favorite musical by far would be The Phantom of the Opera! The movie is good, but nothing beats the broadway version. For a musical on DVD, I love Across the Universe because it was such a creative spin off the Beatles classics. 

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act. -George Orwell
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick

On Screen:

• Hairspray
  • Fiddler on the Roof
  • Chicago
  • Music Man
  • Sound of Music
  • Grease

In the theatre:

• Mama Mia
  • The Lion King (so beautiful I actually cried)
  • Fiddler on the Roof
  • The Full Monlty
  • Music Man
  • Grease
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dan21
0 Kudos

There's this one musical on youtube made by students from Michigan called A Very Potter Musical, they make other hilarious musicals.