Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
pickles-mnl

Musicals, anyone? :D

call me a loser, if you wish, but i am a HUGE musical lover.

i have so many favorites, i simply cannot narrow them down to one. 

what is your favorite musical and WHY?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
So quick bright things come to confusion.
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Musicals, anyone? :D

Does opera count?
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Into The Woods hands down
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:
Into The Woods hands down

That is a good one.

Contributor
pickles-mnl
0 Kudos

of course, opera counts.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
So quick bright things come to confusion.
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I like musicals.  I guess my favorite has to be The Wizard of Oz, since that is my favorite movie in general.  I love so many, that I could not list them all.  My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music, Gene Kelly movies, Judy Garland movies, Thoroughly Modern Millie, The Unsinkable Molly Brown, Carousel, and on and on.  I also particularly love Jesus Christ Superstar, and have both movie versions of that, which I watch every Easter.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Contributor
katknit

All my life, I've loved musicals, especially the great classics like South Pacific and Funny Girl. I'm not interested much in today's trend of using recorded popular music  hits and building a story around them. A really fun book for musical fans is What Would Barbra Do, by Emma Brocke

Very entertaining!

No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Wordsmith
twilightfann
0 Kudos

For musicals on DVDs, I love the Phantom of the Opera, Buddy Holly Story  and Across the Universe . For musicals seen live on stage, my favorite would be Wicked.

The persons of their world lived in an atmosphere of faint implications and pale delicacies, and the fact that he and she understood each other without a word seemed to the young man to bring them nearer than any explanation would have done.
-The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
Correspondent
JennGrrl
0 Kudos

My favorite musical on stage is a toss up between RENT and Phantom of the Opera.  The music for both is just so strong, and in such different ways.

As for movies, my favorite is probably The Wizard of Oz.  I could watch it over and over and over and never get tired of watching.

Contributor
seattle1985

I am a huge fan of musicals, my favorites are the Rogers and Hammerstein ones. I am actually getting a tattoo (and this is so dorky, but awesome) that is a line from Oklahoma...

Its from the opening song, the line is "all the sounds of the earth are like music". haven't decided where I'm getting it yet tho...

After R&H, my favorites are Meet Me in St Louis, and I guess you can count Moulin Rouge. I really enjoyed that.

South Pacific is supposed to be coming to my city next spring, I'm really excited. I saw Phantom when it was here years and years ago, and i saw both Chicago and the Legally Blonde (quiet you, it was hilarious!) when I was in NYC on vacation.

I'm glad there are other fans of musicals out there!

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Die Fiedermaus is my favorite.
Inspired Scribe
_mOonSeeKer_
0 Kudos

Sound of music. That's the only musical movie I've watched and liked. I'm more into comedy and mystery and action and science-fiction..but NOT in horror; I get freaked out by them.
http://whisperinglostwords.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
random97
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
AAAHHHHAHAHAH i love musicals!! there is so many!Ill have a hard time choosing just one fav! hey HAs anyone seen Wicked? and thought it was amazing and LOVED it?
Message Edited by random97 on 07-27-2009 01:22 PM
"I've been making a list of the things they don't teach you at school. They don't teach you how to love somebody. They don't teach you how to be famous. They don't teach you how to be rich or how to be poor. They don't teach you how to walk away from someone you don't love any longer. They don't teach you how to know what's going on in someone else's mind. They don't teach you what to say to someone who's dying. They don't teach you anything worth knowing."
Frequent Contributor
Fan4SFGiants
0 Kudos

My favorite musical is probably Hello Dolly-because of Louis Armstrong.
Reading For Pleasure

LTsypkin
Frequent Contributor
Fan4SFGiants
0 Kudos

Beethoven Lives Upstairs-All of Beethoven's 9 Symphony is played the movie-you'll love it;sort of a musical/biography of Ludwig Van Beethoven.
Reading For Pleasure

LTsypkin
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke

My favorite is "Brigadoon" - Lerner and Loewe's 1947 Broadway hit. Two young vacationing New Yorkers who stumble upon a Scottish village that comes to life once every 100 years for one day only. One of them meets a town lass and experiences the love of a lifetime which is alloted just 24 hours. The music is great too ("Almost like Being in Love", "The Heather on the Hill" and "I'll Go Home with Bonnie Jean").

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Busby Berkley...the timing is amazing(Movie)I'm not that old.......The Wizard of Oz,and my Favorite,,Peter Allen in Concert..it might not be a Musical per se,but I saw him before he passed..Wonderful.....Original "Hair" ......Vtc...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

Not a huge fan of musicals, but there are a few I consider favorites: My Fair Lady (though this owes more to its source material than the production itself), The Music Man (as a librarian, how could I not?), and Mamma Mia! (infectiously fun despite my every intention not to like it). I eventually need to see Fiddler on the Roof; I've always heard that's a great one.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

Busby Berkley...the timing is amazing(Movie)I'm not that old.......The Wizard of Oz,and my Favorite,,Peter Allen in Concert..it might not be a Musical per se,but I saw him before he passed..Wonderful.....Original "Hair" ......Vtc...

Busby Berkeley movies are great!  The ever-adorable Dick Powell, Ruby Keeler, a pre-Fred Ginger Rogers, John Blondell, Ned Sparks, Jimmy Cagney even.  The great kaleidoscope productions.  And I love those numbers where they show women in different fashions in some context, like magazine covers or a calendar where they represent the months.  So much fun!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

So mesmerizing. Perfection not a hair,out of place.And how all the timing was pulled off.Brilliant.If done today,it would have to be digitally mastered,cameras adding and taking away any flaws.They never flawed.It was just the beginning of those Iconic Musicals.Everyone should  watch  it just once..Must get back to my Tap Dancing  :  ) V     I spell checked mesmerizing..???Help...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer