Frequent Contributor
MichaelN
0 Kudos

The Most Anticipated Movies of 2010

New year, new movies! I thought 2009 was a good, not great, year for movies. Summer had some surprises, but plenty of clunkers and the Oscar season has not penetrated through the way it has in past years.

So what's in store for this new year? Good question, self. Here are some of my personal choices of movies that are sure to garner buzz in the coming months. Got something to add? Do it!

Inception (July, 2010)

Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio and Ellen Page

Director: Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight)

Nolan follows up The Dark Knight with what looks to be an intense and exciting popcorn thriller. Just check out the trailer to see a trippy scene of a city folding onto itself. The plot, loosley, is about a corporate CEO involved in a scandal that involves a cultivated ability to enter other people's dreams and steal information. This looks like big budget, smart filmmaking. The kind that keeps my hope in Hollywood.

trailer here: http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/inception/

Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (Aug. 2010)

Starring: Michael Cera, Anna Kendrick, Mary Elizabeth Winstead

Director: Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz)

Comic books are awesome. I grew up on them, and this is a fact. Hollywood also knows this which is why so many concepts and stories come from their pages. Scott Pilgrim is just the latest. The story follows the young, brash, but lovable Canadian Scott Pilgrim (Cera) and his motley crew of very twee friends as they battle young love the only way imaginable- dance sequences and sword fights in rock clubs. It's hard to describe, but if the movie is as funny and lighthearted as the book it will be an end of summer winner.

Scott Pilgrim, Volume 1

Greenberg (March, 2010)

Starring: Ben Stiller, Rhys Ifans, Jennifer Jason Leigh

Director: Noah Baumbach (The Squid and the Whale)

From what I can tell, this movie is about doing nothing. Or at least the concept of not doing anything. Stiller plays a 40-something New Yorker who house sits for his brother in Los Angeles, and doesn't do anything. Actually, he does plenty. He just doesn't pursue a career. He makes a dog house, does, chores, helps people, but when asked the most popular question at parties - "what is it that you do?" - he deliberately has no answer. Hard to tell how that will go down with a move house packed with the unemployed. Surprisingly, for a man with few prospects Stiller gets entangled romantically and that, I suspect, is the heart of this matter.

trailer here: http://www.apple.com/trailers/focus_features/greenberg/

Iron Man 2 (May, 2010)

Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Gwyenth Paltrow, Mickey Rourke, Scarlett Johannsenn, Don Cheadle

Director: Jon Favreau (Iron Man)

Phaw-phaw-phaw-phaw-phaw. (sound a theremin makes) Phaw-phaw-phaw

THIS looks great. THIS will be fun. THIS has to be fun.

NEXT!

trailer here: http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/ironman/

Sex and the City (May 2010)

Starring: Sarah Jessic... oh, we all know

Director: Michael Patrick King

Every man who reads this who has a wife or a girlfriend knows that they will see this. Maybe they won't see it in May or June, but then the DVD will come out, and it will go to in-Demand, and netflix, and soon enough there it is on HBO right after the Paquiao-Mayweather fight. There is no escaping this. It is fun, frivilous entertainment. It is the flip side of Iron Man. I embrace it with open arms.

trailer here: http://images.apple.com/trailers/wb/sexandthecity2/

Due Date (Nov. 2010)

Starring: Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galifianakis

Director: Todd Phillips (The Hangover)

A slacker helps a highly strung out father-to-be reach home for his wife's pregnancy. The real star here might be chemistry. Downey has sophisticated comic timing for an actor, and Galifianakis is, and has been, one of my very favorite comedians for years. Looks like it's finally his time to shine.

Serge Gainsbourg: A Life Heroic (TBD)

Starring: Eric Elmosnino, Lucy Gordon, Laetitia Casta

Director: Joann Sfar

A biopic traces the life of the famous French man of mystery, mood, and music. I hate most all biopics, but maybe the parisian flavor will save this one. If you're a fan of Gainsbourg or very beautiful women then this is a must see. Gainsbourg is played by French actor Erick Elmosnino (star of Diving Bell and the Butterfly) who affects a permanent scowl and tilted head to embody the dark haunt of popular French music of the 1970's.

traler here: (subtitled and NSFW) http://blog.limewire.com/posts/30353-video-serge-gainsbourg-a-life-heroic-trailer-nsfw/

Black Swan (Fall 2010)

Starring: Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis

Director: Darren Aronofsky (The Wrestler)

The world of competitive ballerina is at least one booth fare away from the setting of Aronofsky's last movie The Wrestler, but in an odd way it may have a similar heart. Portman plays an ambitious dancer competing for the prize role in Swan Lake with her doppelganger, the equally lovely Mila Kunis. This melodrama, with its already notorious girl on girl love scene, and a rebuilt soundtrack of the music of Tchaikovsky, might have it all if they serve wine in your theater.

Those are some leading lights of the new year, but certainly not all that's coming. Did I miss something? Please add your two cents. And here are just a few more upcoming titles to wet the whistle.

The American (Sept) Clooney is a sniper

The Social Network (October) Justin Timberlake creates Facebook

Hereafter (Late Fall) Clint Eastwood directs a supernatural thriller, with Matt Damon

Howl (TBD) A drama with James Franco centered around poet Allen Ginsberg's obscenity trial

True Grit (Late 2010) The Coen brothers remake a John Wayne movie with Jeff Bridges. And then we all weep with joy!

MN
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Re: The Most Anticipated Movies of 2010

All very interesting, MichaelN, but don't forget the summer lead-off hit-to-be, "Prince of Persia the Sands of Time" coming from Disney.  This is a great video game and looks to be as fun as the "Pirates" franchise has been.

Liam Neesen will light up the big screen in two summer blockbusters: "A-Team" as Col. John "Hannibal" Smith and "Clash of the Titans" as the king of the Gods himself, Zeus.

I'm actually looking forward to "Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief" which comes out on Valentine's Day weekend.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Correspondent
kellybeans
0 Kudos

I can't wait to see Tim Burton's spin on Alice in Wonderland. I love the book and the disney cartoon, so i'm curous to see how Tim Burton will do it! (Wonderfully creepy, I'm sure. :smileyfrustrated:mileyhappy:smileyhappy:

"We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it. That's all."
-The Breakfast Club
New User
GainsbourgFan
0 Kudos

Thanks for posting this! Glad to see you're excited about Gainsbourg (vie heroique). I started an international fan blog to cover all the latest news, reviews, interviews, music, videos, photos, release dates and more from the film. Hope you'll come check it out and stay up to date on all that's going on with it.

Cheers,

Adam:smileyhappy:

Blog: http://gainsbourgfilm.blogspot.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gainsbourgfilm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/gainsbourgfilm