Contributor
Pianist143

What Instruments do you play?

So.. Hello everyone...

i just love instruments.. in other words.. music... i love music, especially classical.  I'll like to know what instruments any of us is interested on?... What composer would be your favorite? ... All sorts of musical-related stuff... 

I play the piano, i am actually really good at it and i thank God for that gift :smileyhappy: ... My favorite composer has to be Chopin.  His works are unbelievable.. i mean, If you get to listen to "Fantasie Impromptu" and you listen to all those notes at great speed for both right and left hand, i wonder how did he get to think of such brilliant pieces!  And his "Revolutionary Etude"... WOW!... it's just awesome!... I like him so much because of his brilliant musical mind.  Most of his compositions are great "hits" (you could say)...

Anyway ... So what do you think about music?

-Piano Man
Inspired Correspondent
passi0nate_1
0 Kudos

Re: What Instruments do you play?

i love music.Its totally my passion.I dont have a favorite composer but i love all genres and styles of music. i play the piano and electric guitar and saxophone a little bit but my best instrument is the drums. i really love any percussion instruments but any way to be close to music is just awesome to me.

Music is the cure.
I am the addiction.
Correspondent
Permacav50
0 Kudos

Unfortunately due to an injury I can't play as proficiently as I once did but I guess you could still call me a guitarist. I never really had a favorite composer I used to play pretty much anything. Everything from classical guitar to death metal, quite an interesting mix that made for. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
Jacki_S_93
0 Kudos

Hi everyone. I love music so much i can't play alot of instruments i can play the piano and i play the flute but being in highschool we don't change instruments so that's all i can play for now one day i hope to play much more!

We are all a little wierd and life's a little wierd, and when we find someone whose wierdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual wierdness and call it love
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I play the piano a little (had lessons many years ago while I was in grade school), but hardly ever do, so I am always in very bad practice and can only play fairly easy stuff.  I have an electric keyboard, but haven't touched it in a couple of years.  My mother has a baby grand, which will be mine some day.  Actually, it could be mine now, but I don't have room for it in my small condo.

I tried guitar in junior and senior high, but only had a couple of lessons before the instructor decided our schedules just didn't mesh, so that's it for training.  I just couldn't manage the chords - I guess my fingers are too short or not quick enough or something.  I would pick out melody lines, but it was kind of boring, so I finally sold the guitar when I was in college.

When I was little, I had a plastic recorder-like instrument.  I think I did run across a reference to it once on the Internet, but I can't remember what it was called.  It was fun, though.  I also had a miniature piano, with color-coded keys.

My favorite composer is Johann Sebastian Bach.  My favorite period is Baroque, and then Romantic, especially the Nationalists, but I like many composers from all periods.  I also especially like Enrique Granados.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

I play piano, I've played for about 25 years but these days I don't practice nearly enough so I'm not as good as I used to be.  I also play hand percussion, a bit of guitar and bass, and do a lot of work with sequencers, samplers, field recordings, etc.

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Contributor
Will_Read_for_Fun
0 Kudos

I have always had a passion for music. I'm alway looking for new music and always have music playing. 

I taught myself the piano and currently doing pretty well. I used to play the saxaphone. I'm out of practice but if I were to play now, I'm sure I'd be able to play. My favorite composer has to be Andrew Lloyd Webber. His works in Cats and Phantom of the Opera are simply breath taking. I listen to all kinds of music, but I have to say my favorites are Alternitive and Showtunes, which makes for a very interesting combo.

Because one day
I'll leave you
A phantom
To lead you in the summer
To join the Black Parade~ MCR

RIP Phil~ We miss you dearly/
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

I'm a violinist, and live and breathe the classic chestnuts.

The 2010 Orchestra season is gearing up, and  I'm in the middle of rehearsals... practicing for the 50th time this month: Stravinsky's Scherzo Fantastique and Shostakovich Symphony #10. And Rachmaninoff's Isle of the Dead. 

Nothing like a cheerful murder mystery to brighten my days!

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

I'm actually a professional musician.  I didn't start out that way, music has ended up my fall-back position.  HAHA  NEVER thought that would happen. I play and teach the bassoon - yup, the big double reed instrument sitting next to the clarinet in orchestra, directly behind the oboe.  I LOVE the bassoon, which is a good thing, since every day I'm tempted to hock my $20,000 instrument and run away to Brazil.  Just kidding!

I also play the piano, badly, and work as my son's piano coach.  I'm aware enough of my limitations to know that he will do much better with the piano teacher I pay to give him lessons.  Dulcinea, my son's working through the Anna Magdalena Bach collection of "beginning" pieces, many of which would be recognized.  He loves Bach, even though he's the hardest composer on his rep right now.  He's much better than I was at his age.

After 4 years of college and 2 1/2 years of graduate school music training, it is especially difficult to pick a favorite, but I love Bartok, JS Bach, Mozart (he wrote THE bassoon concerto, so how can I not?) Berlioz, Williams, Ticheli, Stravinsky, Brahms, Beethoven, Chopin, Rimsky-Korsakov, Shostakovich, Debussy, Ravel, I could go on for hours.

IBIS: I've always been somewhat jealous of my string family bretheren... you get all the juicy stuff!  :smileywink:

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Inspired Scribe
djaq
0 Kudos

ive been playing tuba for the past 4 years and i play a little upright base and just a little bit of guitar

"We could do pizza."
New User
Abbylover18
0 Kudos

i play the Trombone! im not really talented enough to play an instrument that takes really talent. lol. um i dont really have a favorite composer, but i really enjoy playing Jazz. I dont really know why, but i just like the way the notes flow... but i also like concert pieces. there is just something about the way that the different instruments always seem to fit together just right. well there you are :smileyvery-happy:

New User
Yumi
0 Kudos

I love music too! I play upright bass (1 1/2 years), cello (1/2 year), and piano (1 year). My favorite composers are: Schubert, Ravel, and Bach.

New User
Zorracristal
0 Kudos

Hello.......

I don't have a good talent for playing an instrument. But for some reason everything I play have a rhythm. I have a classic Spanish guitar for 4 years, but I can`t play it. Because I need classes for playing guitars. Anyway I like more hip hop, rap, rock, soundtracks, reggae in Spanish and Latin music. Classical music is good, and I heard the song Fantasie Impromptu if I haved I cannot heard another song than this one.

New User
Elitegamer
0 Kudos

I play the Ocarina. AKA,a flute like instrument.
New User
gleer
0 Kudos

I play the clarinet. I have only been playing it 4 a year so I am not perfect on it but yet I do not stink on it.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Dan21
0 Kudos

I play French Horn. I can play really fast without making to many mistakes, when I play something slow and soft I tend to speed up the tempo. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
FantasyRider

Cowbell because..."I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!" - Saturday Night Live

Seriously though, I've played trombone for about 20+ years.  Never went professional (though spent 2 years trying to in college)  I enjoy playing in the community-level concert and symphony groups.  As part of my college-time, I learned piano and have enjoyed it along with the guitar as a secondary hobby.  Of course, it is always nice to record your own accompaniment track piano and then use it when playing on the trombone!

...a shameful political callout - Save music in our public schools!   

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." Albert Einstein
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dan21
0 Kudos

My older sister played Trombone but then she quit, I am ashamed with her.