Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Number 1's  

Kool & The Gang.  I wanted something upbeat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Gift of Game  "Butterfly"
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I was listening to my itunes while playing on the computer and Islands In The Stream came on and I instantly found myself smiling.  When it was over I wanted more so I ended up playing every Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers song on my itunes.  Not that I have very many but I love the ones I have.

Dolly Parton:

Here You Come Again

Jolene

Romeo

Why Did You Come In Here Lookin' Like That

9 to 5  (This particular performance has some interesting cameos)

Kenny Rogers:

The Gambler

Lady

Lucille

We've Got Tonight

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

A little world music today, I think.

Clannad

Celtic Collection [BMG International]  

Ryan G,   Islands In the Stream is great, isn't it.  Here's a wonderful collection of songs that Dolly Parton has written performed by other women artists.  Sometimes we forget that underneath the hair, the glitzy outfits, and the jugs, is an amazing talent.

Just Because I'm a Woman: Songs of Dolly Parton 

Nancy

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Live From New York City, 1967  

Artie's prelude to "A Poem On the Underground Wall" is priceless.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

I'm listening to Sergei Rachminoff's Prelude No. 10 from Opus 23, performed by Sergei himself. It's from this great collection which is all of the recordings of the composer performing his own pieces.

Rachmaninoff: His Complete Recordings (Box Set) 

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

#1 Opera Album  

These were the recordings we used for the old B&N University Opera class.  Unfortunately I took this course the last session of B&N U.  The course was so rich that I would have loved to take it a couple of more times.

"Amor ti vieta" from Fedora did introduce me to a new favorite, Swedish tenor Jussi Bjorling.

And the wonderful duet from Les Pecheurs de Perles with Gregory Cross and Gino Quilico - "Au Fond du temple saint".

Nancy

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm listening to Gaskarth/Cyrk Dedication, from Clark's latest album of dark, gritty IDM:

Turning Dragon 

If you are a fan of later Skinny Puppy, Download, any of that Substance Records from the late 90's/early 00's kind of sound, you will definitely appreciate this album.

Message Edited by Jon_B on 06-17-2009 07:52 AM

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

This is no longer available so it wouldn't pull up in the add product feature.  This was the "soundtrack" to go along with Anne Rice's book Violin.  The track I really enjoyed this CD is Moon Over Bourbon Street.  The other tracks are:

1. Introduction and Rondo capriccioso for Violin and Orchestra in A minor, Op. 28 Composer: Camille Saint-Sa?ns (1835 - 1921) Date Written: 1863 Period: Romantic Country: France From Genre: Introduction / Rondo Studio/Live: Studio Conductor: Marriner, Neville, Sir Ensemble: Academy of St. Martin in the Fields Conductor: Marriner, Sir Neville Ensemble: Academy of St. Martin in the Fields Performer: Josefowicz, Leila Instrument: Violin

2. Carmen Fantasy for Violin and Orchestra, Op. 25 Composer: Pablo de Sarasate (1844 - 1908) Date Written: ?1883 Period: Romantic From Genre: Fantasy Studio/Live: Studio Conductor: Marriner, Neville, Sir Ensemble: Academy of St. Martin in the Fields Conductor: Marriner, Sir Neville Ensemble: Academy of St. Martin in the Fields Performer: Josefowicz, Leila Instrument: Violin

3. Tha?s: Meditation Composer: Jules Massenet (1842 - 1912) Date Written: 1894 Period: Romantic Country: France From Genre: Opera Studio/Live: Studio Conductor: Marriner, Neville, Sir Ensemble: Academy of St. Martin in the Fields Conductor: Marriner, Sir Neville Ensemble: Academy of St. Martin in the Fields Performer: Josefowicz, Leila Instrument: Violin

4. Sonatas (6) for Violin solo, Op. 27: no 4 in E minor - Sarabande Composer: Eug?ne Ysa?e (1858 - 1931) Date Written: by 1924 Period: Romantic Country: Belgium From Genre: Sarabande / Sonata Studio/Live: Studio Performer: Josefowicz, Leila Instrument: Violin

5. Concerto for Violin in D major, Op. 35 Composer: Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky (1840 - 1893) Date Written: 1878 Period: Romantic Country: Russia From Genre: Concerto Studio/Live: Studio Conductor: Marriner, Neville, Sir Ensemble: Academy of St. Martin in the Fields Conductor: Marriner, Sir Neville Ensemble: Academy of St. Martin in the Fields Performer: Josefowicz, Leila Instrument: Violin

6. Moon Over Bourbon Street Composer: Sting (1951 - ) Date Written: 1987 Period: 20th Century Country: England From Genre: Song Studio/Live: Studio Work Notes: Arranged: Robert Sadin Performer: Baptista, Cyro Instrument: Percussion Performer: Coleman, Ira Instrument: Double Bass Performer: Curtis, Charles Instrument: Cello Performer: Josefowicz, Leila Instrument: Violin Performer: Ross, Brandon Instrument: Guitar Performer: Sadin, Robert Instrument: Electronics

7. Crescent Moon   Composer: Robert Sadin Period: 20th Century Studio/Live: Studio Work Notes: Arranged: Robert Sadin Performer: Baptista, Cyro Instrument: Percussion Performer: Coleman, Ira Instrument: Double Bass Performer: Curtis, Charles Instrument: Cello Performer: Josefowicz, Leila Instrument: Violin Performer: Ross, Brandon Instrument: Guitar Performer: Sadin, Robert Instrument: Electronics

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

This Is the Moody Blues  

At home, I decided to follow up Kool & The Gang with

Best of KC & the Sunshine Band 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Doors [Bonus Tracks]  I could play this all day
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

The opening crescendo (is that possible?) and lyrics of "The End" never fail to give me goosebumps. 

Vermontcozy wrote:
Doors [Bonus Tracks]  I could play this all day

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

It can be a crescendo,of course it can be called that..is so intense..He leaves me breathless,and sad..My sister saw him at the Filmore East..front row seats...I never appreciated her obsession with him until many years later...when I developed my own with certains musicians....:smileyhappy:
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Granados: Spanish Dances  

I saw Alicia de Larrocha perform live at Tanglewood, and have a number of her albums playing Spanish composers.  Granados is probably my favorite Spanish composer.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

A friend of mine sent me this yesterday, never heard of him before but I love love love this track:

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Tales of 1001 Nights, Vol. 1

This is one of two anthology discs by the amazing Renaissance, and they were the only CDs I could find by the band for a long time.

My favorite album by them is: 

Live at Carnegie Hall  

It took me a while to find it, and when I did, it was an import.  The "Tales" discs include some tracks from the live album; I guess they were considered the best versions.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Renaissance were great!

I don't listen to them so much these days but I was really into them in high school, when I went through a prog rock nerd phase (I still listen to bands like King Crimson and Genesis a fair amount)