Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Jon_B wrote:

Renaissance were great!

I don't listen to them so much these days but I was really into them in high school, when I went through a prog rock nerd phase (I still listen to bands like King Crimson and Genesis a fair amount)

I like Novella a lot, too.  I have it on vinyl, but not CD.  Also

Song for All Seasons 

I think this one came with a poster that I had hanging over my bed (literally - I was on the top floor and had one of those sloping walls) senior year.

They are both represented by songs on volume 2 of what I'm listening to

Tales of 1001 Nights, Vol. 2   

I had a friend in college who was into progressive rock, and he introduced me to a lot of great bands.  Including Genesis, who became my favorite (after the rock gods The Beatles, of course).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
Frozen101
0 Kudos

ok, this is gonna sound kinda weird... but i'm listenin to Miss Murder by AFI.:smileyindifferent: in my mind its actually pretty good!!  XD

"f I smile and don't believe

soon I know I'll wake from this dream"

Evanescence- Hello

Wordsmith
twilightfann
0 Kudos

Right now I'm in love with the Absolution cd by Muse.

Absolution 

The persons of their world lived in an atmosphere of faint implications and pale delicacies, and the fact that he and she understood each other without a word seemed to the young man to bring them nearer than any explanation would have done.
-The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
New User
Filipe
0 Kudos

Listening Rostropovitch playing Bach's Prelude from Cello concerto nº 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU_QR_FTt3E
Strongly recommended.

Ryan_G

I couldn't find this album on B&N's website so I had to paste the album cover from somewhere else.  Unless you are a fan of hers most people will know her from Prince and the New Power Genertion CDs, she was the drummer.  The bad thing is most of her CDs are only available as imports as most are not released in the US.

She has a spectacular voice and it blows me away everytime I hear her.

There are a few tracks that stood out to me.  There are few other great trakcs on the CD but I can't find a video to post of them.

Closer Than Close

I Want U

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

Needed a little Beausoleil today to make up for the gray, rainy Pacific Northwest weather.

Alligator Purse 

Nancy

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

The last 5-6 consecutive days' worth of gray skies has put me in a sort of neo-folkish mood for some reason.  I'm listening to Death in June's most recent album, The Rule of Thirds.

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
RTA
Wordsmith
RTA
0 Kudos

Jon_B wrote:

The last 5-6 consecutive days' worth of gray skies has put me in a sort of neo-folkish mood for some reason.  I'm listening to Death in June's most recent album, The Rule of Thirds.

For me, it's turned me onto a Smiths kick, listening to Rank this morning. 
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Italia  

Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Essential Leonard Cohen and in particular, the haunting "Chelsea Hotel #2", which recounts Cohen's liaison with Janis Joplin and contains the poignant lines: "We are ugly, but we have the music."
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

I'm listening again to the album I was listening to when I first started this thread, Portishead's amazing third album:

Third 

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:
Essential Leonard Cohen and in particular, the haunting "Chelsea Hotel #2", which recounts Cohen's liaison with Janis Joplin and contains the poignant lines: "We are ugly, but we have the music."

Just checking some posts and..There was Leonard Cohen,,I must just calm down,because I loved him,his poerty,music,and was never without a 33,45,cassette,now cd...I had no idea that he had a liason with Janis,It was so long ago,but I believe his Book of Poetry was also in my pretty jean bag,with leather handles,bought in the East Village..Paul you never dissappoint us ,..And the Chelsea.Hotel...Memories...Thanks,Vtc.....Leonard was never ugly to me....Major Chrush
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It's the Janis character that says the "ugly" line, but she also says the following of Leonard:

"You told me again you preferred handsome men

but for me you would make an exception."

Now, I certainly can't account for Janis' definition of a "handsome man", but she did have a fling with Ron "Pigpen" McKernan -- he actually introduced her to Southern Comfort.

He's handsome in a pirate/biker sort of way, no?

Message Edited by PaulH on 06-23-2009 01:56 PM
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Janis had a heart of gold,but so broken..Yes, that was her drink..I tasted it once..too strong for little me..I will look up Ron"Pigpen" McKernan(probably  a Bad Boy,mmm...Where do you store all your information,is your brain capacity just so vast,well you are younger in age,but this is probably your second reincarnation,...Must check out "Maxs Kansas City" have no Idea if it still around. On thedailybeast.com  ,this am they had a book listed and reviewed"Let the World Spin" author   Colum  McCann.  New York 1974.. mentioned Maxs,so I am intriged..Have you heard of it?  Found a new board..becke davis..very convincing,new genre for me,but will try one.Book.should be different..She is a very good Sales/moderator...V
Paul_Hochman

Unfortunately, Max's is long gone. It was in Union Square. There's a great book on it which I can't find right now, but I will. Stay tuned.

The following footage may just be Springsteen at Max's although I doubt that's confirmed. Either way, it's way cool.

Vermontcozy wrote:
Janis had a heart of gold,but so broken..Yes, that was her drink..I tasted it once..too strong for little me..I will look up Ron"Pigpen" McKernan(probably  a Bad Boy,mmm...Where do you store all your information,is your brain capacity just so vast,well you are younger in age,but this is probably your second reincarnation,...Must check out "Maxs Kansas City" have no Idea if it still around. On thedailybeast.com  ,this am they had a book listed and reviewed"Let the World Spin" author   Colum  McCann.  New York 1974.. mentioned Maxs,so I am intriged..Have you heard of it?  Found a new board..becke davis..very convincing,new genre for me,but will try one.Book.should be different..She is a very good Sales/moderator...V

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am listening to Part One the first greatest hits CD from Wet Wet Wet.  This is a imported CD that only has 12 songs as opposed to the origional album that had more.

They are probably one of my favorite bands that never made it big in the US.

Some of my favorite songs are

Wishing I Was Lucky

Sweet Little Mystery

Sweet Surrender

Angel Eyes

Temptation

Cold Cold Heart

Message Edited by Ryan_G on 06-23-2009 11:35 PM

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

PaulH wrote:

Unfortunately, Max's is long gone. It was in Union Square. There's a great book on it which I can't find right now, but I will. Stay tuned.

The following footage may just be Springsteen at Max's although I doubt that's confirmed. Either way, it's way cool.

Vermontcozy wrote:

Thanks for the Bruce at Maxs Kansas City,but I can't do too much with my computer..I live in the Dead Zone..This week my daughter will bring me my Laptop,and she bought a new one..so I should be back on track .Correction: Max's was on Park Avenue South and 24.25th street..I believe...Staying tuned..Vtc
dulcinea3

They don't have it here, but I'm listening to The Fugitive by Tony Banks.  Tony is the keyboard player for Genesis.  I would kind of prefer albums full of soaring instrumentals from him, but his solo stuff really sounds a lot like his bandmate Mike Rutherford's Mike and the Mechanics.  I'm not sure if he sings the lyrics himself or uses singers, like Mike does.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

TwentyFive [Deluxe Edition]  George Michaels is 46 today,great Concert Singer
  Anticipation  Carly is 64 today,so I thought you would all like to know.Also as the rumor has it"Anticipation" was written during her affair with Mick Jaggar.For the much younger posters,and I am just assuming that its important ,probably only to me,,Carly Simon is the Simon in SimonandSchuster                       
dulcinea3

It's not available here, but I am listening to:

Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5: 18 Greatest Hits, Compact Command Performances