Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B

What are you listening to right now?

This is a pretty simple thread but its fun to see what other people are listening to!

Right now I am listening to "Nylon Smile" by Portishead.

How bout you?

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Re: What are you listening to right now?

I just listed to an amazing version of the traditional "I Know You Rider" as performed by Hot Tuna. Some blazing electric violin on this one which I'm guessing is played by Papa John Creach.
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B

I'm currently listening to Nine Inch Nails' "11 Ghosts II" which is from his incredible instrumental album, Ghosts I-IV.

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Contributor
Peeps
0 Kudos

"Be With You" by Minitel Rose!
http://www.tectonic-uplift.com/deepthiw
dulcinea3

I'm listening to Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young's Deja Vu album.  At home, I've been listening to the Pink Floyd anthology Echoes.

Déjà Vu 

Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd  

Hmmm, I guess that must be it, although my CD cover doesn't look like that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Blogger
L_Monty
0 Kudos

Jon_B wrote:

This is a pretty simple thread but its fun to see what other people are listening to!

Right now I am listening to "Nylon Smile" by Portishead.

How bout you?

I'm currently listening to Bitter:smileyfrustrated:weet's Drama (here's a sample), which is kind of electronic-jazz-lounge-dance stuff. Funnily enough, the lead singer's vocals remind me a lot of the lead singer from Portishead's: that very white-bred SHHHH-sound on all her sibilants, like she's slurring her way through the words to sound like Billie Holiday. (I ain't fooled.) It's a lot like Portishead if Portishead were actually fun and not "the sexy soundtrack to narcolepsy."
RTA
Wordsmith
RTA
0 Kudos

Right now I'm listening to the Pixies' Surfer Rosa.  It's not an album I listen to often, but it popped up and I figured why not.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

I'm alternating between:

Med Sud I Eyrum Vid Spilum Endalaust [Bonus Track] 

by Sigur Ros (thanks to NPR for featuring track 2 which hooked me)

and

Shostakovich: Jazz Suites Nos. 1 & 2; The Bolt Suite; Tahiti Trot 

(not this album, can't find the one I have) but the second waltz section of Suite for Jazz Orchestra No 2 is fantastic!

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney

Got all my Tom Waits on my Ipod shuffle.  Playing now Anywhere I Lay My Head from Rain Dogs.

Nancy

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Aida , World's Greatest Tribute to Black Eyes Peas  Love Tom Waites..haven't listened to him in a while..Black Eyes Peas  ,One of my favorite Bands..Today as I was driving I  had on The Original Tracks of "West Side Story" as well..a little teary eyed..Good thread...really needed this...."Aida" Elton John and Tim Rice   . 
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Ryan_G

[ Edited ]

Sometimes I Dream  A beautiful CD  from the talented Greek Tenor Mario Frangoulis.  One of my favorite tracks on the ablum is a duet of Nights in White Satin with Justin Hayward ( lead singer of The Moody Blues).  It is sand in Italian except for Justin Haywards part.  The whole CD is incredible though Hijo de la Luna is my other favorite track.  (After I posted this I started to listen to the CD again and realized I forgot how much I also love Luna Rossa and decided I needed to link this track as well)

I've also been listening to a couple of different Kay Starr albums.  There has always been something about her voice that grabs me.  Especially on songs like Wheel of Fortune, Changing Partners, Rock and Roll Waltz, and P.S. I Love You. 

Message Edited by Ryan_G on 06-08-2009 08:21 PM
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
TiggerBear

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:
Santogold 

She's called Santigold now, because of a legal threat from a jeweler who does infomercials. 

I guess we should update our product pages!

Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

Oh great!!!  This place is going to be as dangerous as the book clubs.  Now I have to make a "musiclists" tag.  I love it, keep 'em coming.

Today's selection is:

Donizetti: Lucia di Lammermoor 

Because I have to concentrate (QCing at work) and relax (medical testing later).  Ugh!

Nancy

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
Inspired Wordsmith
Sunltcloud

Just popping in for the new thread. Great! Better pop out soon, already got sidetracked by a couple of B&N selections in the posts. I'm listening to Vladimir Ashkenazy "Favourite Chopin"

Favourite Chopin  but getting ready to take my walk which requires Bob Marley's "Legend", especially "Buffalo Soldier" which I sometimes play over and over to keep up the pace.

Legend [Deluxe Edition] 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Sometimes I Dream  A beautiful CD  from the talented Greek Tenor Mario Frangoulis.  One of my favorite tracks on the ablum is a duet of Nights in White Satin with Justin Hayward ( lead singer of The Moody Blues).  It is sand in Italian except for Justin Haywards part.  The whole CD is incredible though Hijo de la Luna is my other favorite track.  (After I posted this I started to listen to the CD again and realized I forgot how much I also love Luna Rossa and decided I needed to link this track as well)

I've also been listening to a couple of different Kay Starr albums.  There has always been something about her voice that grabs me.  Especially on songs like Wheel of Fortune, Changing Partners, Rock and Roll Waltz, and P.S. I Love You. 

Message Edited by Ryan_G on 06-08-2009 08:21 PM

I can't recall "Nights in White Satin"being recorded by anyone except The  Moody Blues..Will try listening to it on Pandora..if my connection holds firm out here in the woods...Very interested..Thanks for posting...V
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Today I'm listening to Talk on Corners by The Corrs.

Talk on Corners [Special Edition 12 Tracks] 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I am listening to "Singularities" by Filastine, the opening track of this awesome album

Dirty Bomb 

Message Edited by Jon_B on 06-09-2009 12:01 PM

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

You are most welcome VTC.  If you click on the link I posted for Nights in White Satin it will open up a video of a live performancs.  The other two songs are linked to youtube postings of the songs.  As are the Kay Starr links by the way.

Vermontcozy wrote:
I can't recall "Nights in White Satin"being recorded by anyone except The  Moody Blues..Will try listening to it on Pandora..if my connection holds firm out here in the woods...Very interested..Thanks for posting...V

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I'm listening to

Definitive Collection of Patti Labelle.  She has always been one of my favorite artists and this CD combines some of my favorite songs.  I know some of you may find some of the songs cheesey but I can't help but smile and cheer up when I hear them.

New Attitude   (Perfect 80's Song and Video)

On My Own 

If You Asked Me To

The Right Kinda Lover

Somebody Loves You Baby

When You Talk About Love

Stir It Up (Another Perfect 80's Song and Video)