Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: What are you listening to?

[ Edited ]

TiggerBear wrote:

Edith Piaf: 30th Anniversaire

Voice of the Sparrow: The Very Best of Edith Piaf

Éternelle

Vie en Rose 1935-1951

the fidelity sound differences are interesting.....

I have Voice of the Sparrow.  I absolutely love La Vie en Rose.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
dulcinea3

Having recently seen a 'biography' of Heart, I've been working my way through their albums, so far:

Dreamboat Annie 

Little Queen [Expanded Edition]  

Magazine  

Dog & Butterfly [Bonus Tracks]  

I've also been alerted to a few that I need to look for next time I'm at B&N:

Jupiter's Darling [UK Bonus Tracks] 

Hope & Glory  

Doesn't look like B&N has any Lovemongers albums.  I think there are only two: one called Whirlygig, and a Christmas album.  Does anybody know if they're any good?  In the show, it looked like Ann and Nancy were getting back to the basic Heart sound.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

Release Me  We've had this in rotation at my store for a couple weeks now, and it's really fun and catchy. Has a great retro '60s sound... imagine The Kinks fronted by Lesley Gore. :smileytongue:

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Still working my way through Heart, slowly but surely.

Bebe Le Strange [Expanded] 

Heart Greatest Hits: Live  

Passionworks 

Heart  

Bad Animals  

Rock the House Live!  

I am missing Brigade because of a CD player mishap some years ago when it got stuck and then broken when the player was repaired.  Maybe they'll have it at B&N if I manage to get there this weekend.

Brigade 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Aphrodite

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

They apparently have a new one coming out next week:

Red Velvet Car 

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Road Home  

I had forgotten what an excellent album this is.

I went to B&N yesterday, but they didn't have any of the ones I wanted (Brigade, Jupiter's Darling, or Ann's solo album).  Guess I'll wait until their new one comes out (tomorrow) and order them.

Frequent Contributor
Gnomadic
0 Kudos

Repo! The Genetic Opera  

Very awesome soundtrack! Taking rock opera to a whole new level!

October Rust 

This album is my "must have" every fall.  Cool wind rushing through my hair as I walk through vacant trees, crackling bonfires, napalm marshmallows, and Halloween...ahh it is on the horizon!

When you find yourself falling into the seas of madness, DIVE!
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Last week I watched VH1's '100 Greatest Artists of All Time'.  Of course, it is controversial, and this site didn't like it, but this is the only place I could find the actual list (VH1's site is too confusing, and I can't figure out if the list is shown anywhere there):

http://www.bloginity.com/blog/2010/09/11/vh1-100-greatest-artists-time-worst-list-time/

I have CDs of about 45 of them (and have seen 8 live), so last night I decided to start working my way through those, starting with

Singles (#97)

Of course, the list could not satisfy any individual fan, but I think it's pretty good.  Naturally there are artists on there that I don't like or care about, but I'm willing to accept that they are influential.  Some artists that I thought should be there also are Diana Ross, the Temptations, and Heart, and I can't believe that I haven't read any comments on any site I looked at complaining that Lou Reed was not included.  Yeah, The Velvet Underground is on there, but Reed as a solo artist was incredibly influential (I like him, although not one of my favorites, personally).  And McCartney and Lennon were listed as solo artists as well as being in the Beatles (although, if you watched the show, most of what they showed during McCartney's segment was actually Wings, which perhaps should also have been on the list), as well as Peter Gabriel being listed in addition to Genesis.  When I counted (I always love counting what I have from these lists), I only gave it to myself if I had the exact artist/group, so no point for having Wham but no George Michael, CSNY but no Neil Young, Lou Reed but no Velvet Underground, etc.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Bee Gees (#88)

Best of Bee Gees 

Best of Bee Gees, Vol. 2  

dulcinea3

[ Edited ]

Still Waters [Bonus Tracks]  

I don't have any George Michael (#87)  as such, but decided to include these:

Fantastic  

Make It Big  

Took a detour to this when my mother came over for dinner:

Fascinatin' Rhythm: Capitol Sings George Gershwin 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TiggerBear wrote:

Hurley [Bonus Tracks]

:smileysurprised:

Are any of the songs about him?

Contributor
Dreamer_Gal
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm listening to the best music ever.....well, in my opinion of course  :smileyhappy:

10MM by  Mercy Me ... give it a listen.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Hurley [Bonus Tracks]

Ah well if I knew who him was, I could tell you. But.... ah....

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Hurley [Bonus Tracks]

Oh - Hurley's a very beloved character from Lost.

I'm on to #83 - Earth, Wind & Fire.

Greatest Hits [Legacy] 

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

#82, Steely Dan

Definitive Collection 

#81, Abba

Gold: Greatest Hits 

More ABBA Gold: More ABBA Hits    

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Hurley [Bonus Tracks]

Oh - Hurley's a very beloved character from Lost.

I'm on to #83 - Earth, Wind & Fire.

Greatest Hits [Legacy] 

The answer is ah no not that I noticed. But not a Lost watcher, saw one half of an episode and hated it.

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

#77, Lynyrd Skynyrd

Gold .  High school gym teacher Leonard Skinner, who inspired the band's name, just passed away a week or so ago.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b201417_lynyrd_skynyrd_inspiration_leonard.html 

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

They did an interview on NPR about the new album.  I just don't remember what program it was on.

Here is a link if you want to check it out

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129611047

dulcinea3 wrote:

They apparently have a new one coming out next week:

Red Velvet Car 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com