Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Reader1793
0 Kudos

Re: What are you listening to?

I turned on the Pandora feature on my nookcolor, and it gave me a few interesting old songs by Johnny Horton. I did some research, and found out that he predicted his own death. Odd, but some of the songs are very educational.
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream. - EAP
Frequent Contributor
BookReader75

Well, I am very much into Classical when doing my school, and such (I am Homeschooled)

But when I am not in the mood for Classical music, I am mostly into the older music. 70's 80's and 90's.  I do not like the music they have out now very much...  Not to offend anybody and if I did, oh well, I got my opinion you got yours.

So I listen to U2, Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin, a lot of the 80's and "some" Nirvana, as I like that grunge type music.

But I definitely don't listen to Pearl Jam when reading a book, Ha!

~Tristan Amaya
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

#31, John Lennon

John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band 

Double Fantasy [Japan CD]  

Milk and Honey  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Off the Medua album I love, and never get enough of "Take Me to the River" and "Train In Vain".

Have you heard her Christmas album that came out last year?  I loved it.

Christmas Cornucopia 

I wanted to get it, but when I placed an order before Christmas, it hadn't been released yet, and I didn't want to place another order so soon, so I'll get it for this Christmas.  But you will be happy to hear that I did finally get Bette Midler's Christmas album!  And I do have the Eurythmics doing Winter Wonderland on a couple of CDs, so I did get to hear her do that.

Speaking of Bette Midler, I recently saw a special on cable, The Showgirl Must Go On - did you see it?  It was great; she got back to a lot of her earlier rowdy style.  A very extended section of Sophie Tucker jokes!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BookReader75 wrote:

Well, I am very much into Classical when doing my school, and such (I am Homeschooled)

But when I am not in the mood for Classical music, I am mostly into the older music. 70's 80's and 90's.  I do not like the music they have out now very much...  Not to offend anybody and if I did, oh well, I got my opinion you got yours.

So I listen to U2, Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin, a lot of the 80's and "some" Nirvana, as I like that grunge type music.

But I definitely don't listen to Pearl Jam when reading a book, Ha!

I like mostly 70s and 80s, with some 60s.  And if it's an artist who I already like, of course if they release new stuff later (90s and on), I like that!

I also like to listen to classical music when I read and when I go to bed I put some on for a while, on the sleep timer.  My favorite period is baroque (Bach, Vivaldi, etc.), but I like all the periods.  I usually only change the bedtime CD every few weeks, so lately I have been listening to Alicia de Larrocha playing Iberia and the Spanish Suite by Albeniz.

Frequent Contributor
JamieB63
0 Kudos

Pandora Radio - and/or

The Beatles

Lucinda Williams

Kronos Quartet

Bruce Springsteen

+ about 4-5 podcasts

this is a typical day..........my iPhone is playing all day in my office.....

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

#30, Aerosmith

Aerosmith's Greatest Hits 

Big Ones  

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

"I Gotta Feeling" by Black Eyed Peas

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I didn't see the TV special though I wished I had.  I'm glad you got the Bette Midler Christmas album.  That is probably one of my favorites.

dulcinea3 wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Off the Medua album I love, and never get enough of "Take Me to the River" and "Train In Vain".

Have you heard her Christmas album that came out last year?  I loved it.

Christmas Cornucopia 

I wanted to get it, but when I placed an order before Christmas, it hadn't been released yet, and I didn't want to place another order so soon, so I'll get it for this Christmas.  But you will be happy to hear that I did finally get Bette Midler's Christmas album!  And I do have the Eurythmics doing Winter Wonderland on a couple of CDs, so I did get to hear her do that.

Speaking of Bette Midler, I recently saw a special on cable, The Showgirl Must Go On - did you see it?  It was great; she got back to a lot of her earlier rowdy style.  A very extended section of Sophie Tucker jokes!

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

#28, Elton John

11-17-70 

Madman Across the Water  

Greatest Hits 

Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 [Polygram]  

Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Dulcinea, since you like Sir Elton, you might enjoy

Union 

with Leon Russell.  My new favorite CD.

Nancy

dulcinea3 wrote:

#28, Elton John

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

That's an interesting pairing, Nancy!  Thanks for pointing it out.  When reading the editorial review, I had to groan just a bit over the following line:

"This relaxed, natural interplay cuts through the soft haze of Burnett†s analog impressionism, giving the record a foundation of true grit."

Really, now!  T-Bone Burnett won an Oscar last year alongside Jeff Bridges', for Crazy Heart, and then this year Bridges was nominated again for True Grit!  Is this six degrees of separation, or something like that?  Yeah, probably just my imagination, but I couldn't help but see a connection there!

Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

Scratching head...

I think I could completely rearrange the words in that review line and they'd make about as much sense to me.  LOL

Nancy

dulcinea3 wrote:

That's an interesting pairing, Nancy!  Thanks for pointing it out.  When reading the editorial review, I had to groan just a bit over the following line:

"This relaxed, natural interplay cuts through the soft haze of Burnett†s analog impressionism, giving the record a foundation of true grit."

Really, now!  T-Bone Burnett won an Oscar last year alongside Jeff Bridges', for Crazy Heart, and then this year Bridges was nominated again for True Grit!  Is this six degrees of separation, or something like that?  Yeah, probably just my imagination, but I couldn't help but see a connection there!

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

#27 Aretha Franklin

#25 Chuck Berry

Definitive Collection 

I'm taking a break from my countdown for Bon Jovi, after seeing them in concert last night.  They were great!!!  I pulled this one out at random, and there are four songs that they did last night - Keep the Faith, I'll Sleep When I'm Dead, Bed of Roses, and Dry County:

Keep the Faith 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

To Love Again 

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Still listening to Bon Jovi at home.  I've decided these are my favorites among their albums:

Slippery When Wet [Special Edition] [Bonus Tracks] 

New Jersey [Special Edition] [Bonus Tracks]  

Keep the Faith [Special Edition] [Bonus Tracks]  

Have a Nice Day  

At work I'm listening to Irish stuff in honor of St. Patrick's Day:

Clannad 2 

Dulaman  

Home  

Long Black Veil  

Santiago

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Back to my countdown of those that I have from the top 100 artists, which I am enjoying:

#24, Tina Turner

#21, Bruce Springsteen

Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. 

Greatest Hits  

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Lasers  

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

#20, Marvin Gaye

#19, U2

Rattle and Hum 

Achtung Baby