Rebecca  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

X-Men: First Class  

Love Rebecca!!!  Hitchcock's first American film.  And his last British film was Jamaica Inn, another Du Maurier.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Two in the Dark from 1936, with Walter Able and Margot Grahame

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mad Miss Manton  

Towering Inferno Special Edition (2-Disc Set) 

When Ladies Meet from 1933

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Those old movies look interesting!  I have that edition of Towering Inferno - I love that movie!!!  The original Poseidon Adventure, too.  Classic all-star disaster films.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

All of the movies I've been watching the last few days are so goog.  Most are saved on my DVR because I'm too cheap to buy them, but a few aren't available.  And you are right, the old disaster movies are so good.  I'm surprised nobody has redone this one like they did with Poseiden Adventure.

dulcinea3 wrote:

Those old movies look interesting!  I have that edition of Towering Inferno - I love that movie!!!  The original Poseidon Adventure, too.  Classic all-star disaster films.

Contributor
TheWind
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

th.jpg

How about the old disaster movies in sensurround, like Earthquake or Rollercoaster, etc?

Really showin my age here, lol

Wicked witch of the West, don't $%#@ with me.
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Jesus Christ Superstar  

Jesus Christ Superstar  

Hi TheWind,  I don't even remember what the sense-surround was like!  But Earthquake just didn't measure up to The Poseidon Adventure and Towering Inferno, for some reason.  I just couldn't get into Charlton Heston or Ava Gardner - I think maybe the characters were not as interesting.  I actually watched Earthquake on TV recently, and still wasn't all that impressed.  And the main thing I remember about Rollercoaster is that I think the band Sparks appeared in it!  Love Sparks!

Contributor
TheWind
0 Kudos

OMG was it 1974 ? (Ive tried to pluck out my grey hairs)

From Wiki : (I still remember the feeling in the theatre, wow)

Sensurround is the brand name for a process developed by Cerwin-Vega in conjunction with Universal Studios to enhance the audio experience during film screenings, specifically for the 1974 film Earthquake. The process was intended for subsequent use and was adopted for three more films, Midway (1976), Rollercoaster (1977) and in the theatrical version of Saga of a Star World (1978), the Battlestar Galactica pilot.[1] Sensurround worked by adding extended-range bass for sound effects. The low-frequency sounds were more felt than heard, providing a vivid complement to onscreen depictions of earth tremors, bomber formations, and amusement park rides. The overall trend toward "multiplex" cinema structures presented challenges that made Sensurround impractical as a permanent feature of cinema.[2]

Wicked witch of the West, don't $%#@ with me.
Distinguished Wordsmith
TarHeelGirl00
0 Kudos

Is anybody watching "The Bates Motel" on A&E?  So far, 3 episodes have aired and I'm already hooked.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Third Man  

For Ebert.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
havenwynters

Haven: the Complete First Season  Well its not a movie, but I am watching this series.  It is awesome so far.  I really love the characters and I love the music to it.

Inspired Contributor
havenwynters

TarHeelGirl00 wrote:

Is anybody watching "The Bates Motel" on A&E?  So far, 3 episodes have aired and I'm already hooked.

I haven't seen it yet, but I heard it was really good.  I eventually want to watch it

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi..havenwynters...Such a Great Series..You have time to catchup..The next season I think is in the Fall.Not sure if its season 3 or 4.You will be shocked by what Happens :smileywink:The Book The Colorado Kid by Stephen King was his inspiration for the series..Haven't read the book..Hooked on Haven too..
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Contributor
havenwynters
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:
Hi..havenwynters...Such a Great Series..You have time to catchup..The next season I think is in the Fall.Not sure if its season 3 or 4.You will be shocked by what Happens :smileywink:The Book The Colorado Kid by Stephen King was his inspiration for the series..Haven't read the book..Hooked on Haven too..

I will have to look into the book as well.  I like Stephen King.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TarHeelGirl00
0 Kudos

havenwynters wrote:

TarHeelGirl00 wrote:

I haven't seen it yet, but I heard it was really good.  I eventually want to watch it

The first season was awesome!  I can't wait until next season.  Vera Farmiga does an excellent job as Norma Bates.  Let us know what you think when you watch it.

Wordsmith
Intrigued_by_Romance
0 Kudos

Twilight  

Inspired Contributor
havenwynters
0 Kudos

Intrigued_by_Romance wrote:

Twilight  

I have started watching this movie like 7 times and I always get pulled away from it at the same scene LOL. I don't know what is going on with that.

Contributor
SusanGabriel
0 Kudos

Orange is the New Black, a Netflix original. It's a bit wild, but I've never seen so many female actors employed at once! A wonderful assortment of flawed women who are spending time together in prison, with men as supporting characters.

Susan Gabriel

author of the novel, The Secret Sense of Wildflower

starred review--Kirkus Reviews and voted a best book of 2012) 

Author of the novel, The Secret Sense of Wildflower (historical, southern, coming-of-age). Starred review by Kirkus Reviews (for "books of exceptional merit") and voted one of their Best Books of 2012.