Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,124
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

What are you watching?

We have a music thread but I think we also should have a movie thread, too.

 

I was thinking about this because I went with some friends to the Transformers 2 midnight opening last night.  Now, I like to be decently entertained when I pay my $10 at the movie theatre, otherwise it's like highway robbery if the movie is bad (nah, it's still highway robbery even when the movie is enjoyable but that's beside the point), and Transformers 2 was quite enjoyable with some pretty awesome CGI work and cutesy jokes and humor. 

 

But the humor was definitely aimed at the 13 year old boys in the audience - it was a bit wasted on the 30 year old booksellers/cinephiles in my group who thought the obvious shot of a Decepticon's "man parts" was funny but completely unnecessary to any point at hand (and getting old because it was like the tenth joke about testicles).  I also thought that a few characters were dumped halfway through the movie (like the NSA guy and the little Decepticon that Mikayla "trains" ) almost like the characters were forgotten in the rush to have a really, REALLY big battle sequence.

 

Overall, it was a nice summer blockbuster and thousands of times better than Indiana Jones 4 for which I quite haven't forgiven anyone involved in the making of that disaster.

 

(Did I mention that I never saw the first Transformers movie in 2007?  So if you're up for watching very large animorphic machines kick the snot out of each other with good graphics and a Hans Zimmer score you don't really need to have watched the previous installment.)

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

In about 10 minutes I will be watchingAfter the Thin Man.  I tend to go through this series once or twice a year.  This is the second movie in the series.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
MichaelN
Posts: 57
Registered: ‎06-11-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

I just finished watching the final episodes of Joss Whedon's Firefly. I can see why it has earned such a cult following. The final episode, especially, was a stand out. Still have not seen the Serenity movie.
MN
Wordsmith
twilightfann
Posts: 461
Registered: ‎08-29-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

The last movie I saw in theaters was UP. It was such a great movie - it made me laugh and then cry at the same time. Pixar just makes the best animated movies. I mean, there's Finding Nemo, Toy Story, The Incredibles, WALL-E, Monsters Inc, and so much more. After leaving the movie theater when I saw UP, I really just felt happy. I can see why all of the movie reviews gave it four stars.
The persons of their world lived in an atmosphere of faint implications and pale delicacies, and the fact that he and she understood each other without a word seemed to the young man to bring them nearer than any explanation would have done.
-The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

I'm still working my way through the extra features disc for

 

X2 - X-Men United 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I was at Walmart recently, and their $5 case is always dangerous!  Aside from this one, I got six others!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
Posts: 1,735
Registered: ‎11-22-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

The Stoning of Soraya M

 

I highly recommend this indie movie... it's the shocking story of Soraya, a kind woman whose cruel husband conspires against her, trumping up charges of infidelity... a crime, if convicted, carries an unimaginably heartless penalty. 

 

It's a message that we should pay attention to...

 

Despite our openmindedness about the relative values of enacted laws, this movie reminds us that there are definitely very bad laws on the books today...

 

And those bad laws are strictly enforced by legally recognized governments in our world today.

 

 

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

Another Thin Man  
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
Posts: 4,124
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: What are you watching?

Born to Be Wild: The Leading Men of American Ballet Theatre  

 

 I love my ballet boys!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

then (because my ballet boys have to go back to Netflix tomorrow)

 

Gosford Park  for laughs!
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

Emma: A Victorian Romance - Season One Collection 

 

Well I'm off to watch another disc of Emma.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,295
Registered: ‎10-24-2008

Re: What are you watching?

Love Gosford Park

pedsphleb wrote:

Born to Be Wild: The Leading Men of American Ballet Theatre  

 

 I love my ballet boys!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

then (because my ballet boys have to go back to Netflix tomorrow)

 

Gosford Park  for laughs!

 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
Posts: 1,893
Registered: ‎07-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

Last night I watched Guy Ritchie's Revolver which was very different from what I was expecting. It's billed as a "fast-paced crime drama" like his earlier movies and while it is indeed a crime drama, it's not fast-paced nor is it anything like his earlier movies, which are not only flashier but also have a lot of humor in them.  This doesn't, it's a very dark movie, and it's also rather slow and meditative.  It's loosely about chess, game theory, psychology, and self possession.  It was very interesting and there are a lot of layers, and a lot of spiritual symbolism in the movie.  It reminded me more of what I'd typically associate with someone like David Lynch or even Peter Greenaway than the kind of films Richie became known for.  As such I think it's a rather underrated movie because it's nothing at all like it's expected to be, people saw it looking for another Snatch and were understandably disappointed - but it's still a very good and thought-provoking movie.

 

 

 


________________________________________

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
Posts: 2,801
Registered: ‎03-23-2007
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

I recently saw Appaloosa and was completely disappointed. Aside from a few good Viggo moments, the film was unforgettable at best.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm a huge fan of the Western. Here are a couple favorites:

 

 

Unforgiven 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Magnificent Seven 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Any other Western fans out there?   

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?


Jon_B wrote:

Last night I watched Guy Ritchie's Revolver which was very different from what I was expecting. It's billed as a "fast-paced crime drama" like his earlier movies and while it is indeed a crime drama, it's not fast-paced nor is it anything like his earlier movies, which are not only flashier but also have a lot of humor in them.  This doesn't, it's a very dark movie, and it's also rather slow and meditative.  It's loosely about chess, game theory, psychology, and self possession.  It was very interesting and there are a lot of layers, and a lot of spiritual symbolism in the movie.  It reminded me more of what I'd typically associate with someone like David Lynch or even Peter Greenaway than the kind of films Richie became known for.  As such I think it's a rather underrated movie because it's nothing at all like it's expected to be, people saw it looking for another Snatch and were understandably disappointed - but it's still a very good and thought-provoking movie.

 

 

 



One of those movies that starts an arguement an hour later. Cool looks, but a little too much Jung for entertainment.

Melissa_W
Posts: 4,124
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

I don't know what's more fun when watching Gosford Park - watching the actual movie, watching the movie with the commentary by Robert Altman, or watching the movie with the commentary by Julian Fellowes.


Ryan_G wrote:
Love Gosford Park


pedsphleb wrote:

Born to Be Wild: The Leading Men of American Ballet Theatre  

 

 I love my ballet boys!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

then (because my ballet boys have to go back to Netflix tomorrow)

 

Gosford Park  for laughs!

 


 

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: What are you watching?


pedsphleb wrote:

I don't know what's more fun when watching Gosford Park - watching the actual movie, watching the movie with the commentary by Robert Altman, or watching the movie with the commentary by Julian Fellowes.


How many people do watch the commentary versions of movies?  At first I thought it was a neat feature, but after a while I stopped.  First of all, I find it difficult to find the time to watch a movie two or three times through, and after I've just watched it, I'm not usually in the mood to watch the whole thing again right away.  By the time I get around to wanting to see it again, I want to see and enjoy the actual movie.  A few times I've started to watch the commentary, and found it boring - "ummmm, here we were doing this...[pause for several minutes]... oh, yeah, and then we had to..."  Sometimes I have been concentrating on what was being said and not been able to actually follow what was going on in the movie at that moment that they are talking about.

 

What's the general opinion?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
Posts: 1,893
Registered: ‎07-15-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

I do it very rarely.  Sometimes I'll watch a particular scene with director/actor commentary on, if I want to know more about how they filmed that particular scene.  But even that is frustrating because sometimes they stop paying attention and are telling only vaguely related anecdotes about something or other instead of actually describing the filmmaking (probably because they are, understandably, sick of talking about it).  In general I agree it's usually fairly boring, but useful on rare occasions.

 

________________________________________

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?


dulcinea3 wrote:

pedsphleb wrote:

I don't know what's more fun when watching Gosford Park - watching the actual movie, watching the movie with the commentary by Robert Altman, or watching the movie with the commentary by Julian Fellowes.


How many people do watch the commentary versions of movies?  At first I thought it was a neat feature, but after a while I stopped.  First of all, I find it difficult to find the time to watch a movie two or three times through, and after I've just watched it, I'm not usually in the mood to watch the whole thing again right away.  By the time I get around to wanting to see it again, I want to see and enjoy the actual movie.  A few times I've started to watch the commentary, and found it boring - "ummmm, here we were doing this...[pause for several minutes]... oh, yeah, and then we had to..."  Sometimes I have been concentrating on what was being said and not been able to actually follow what was going on in the movie at that moment that they are talking about.

 

What's the general opinion?


Honestly we don't buy a DVD unless we are going to watch it more than once every six months. And we stopped keeping counting the DVDs when it went over 800. Most of which get put in the player and played over and over. A new weekly addition usually gets watched about 20 times that week. The few I just want to see once, I rent. If I buy something and end up hating it; give it or sell it.

 

Unless the extra specials are more than 5 hours long, I'm going to watch it. And any move you seen more than 10 times, the commentary version gets kinda cool (at least once).

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
Posts: 4,389
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

Well, if I buy a DVD, it's usually because it's something that I want to watch multiple times (especially if it's something that I tend to watch whenever I see it being shown on TV).  But I don't usually want to watch it over and over again in a short period, like you do.  I do that with music, though!  Sometimes I listen to a new CD exclusively for a week or more if I love it!

 

I like to watch the special features.  Usually I look to see if there are any trailers for the movie, and watch those first, before I watch the movie itself, since normally you would have seen those before the movie came out or before you saw it.  Then I watch the movie, and then the other features.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?


dulcinea3 wrote:

Well, if I buy a DVD, it's usually because it's something that I want to watch multiple times (especially if it's something that I tend to watch whenever I see it being shown on TV).  But I don't usually want to watch it over and over again in a short period, like you do.  I do that with music, though!  Sometimes I listen to a new CD exclusively for a week or more if I love it!

 

I like to watch the special features.  Usually I look to see if there are any trailers for the movie, and watch those first, before I watch the movie itself, since normally you would have seen those before the movie came out or before you saw it.  Then I watch the movie, and then the other features.


Well back when we actually bought CDs we did likewise. But switched over to using music browsers years ago.

 

Depends on the movie. Sometime special feature and a easter egg hunt first. Sometimes the movie.