Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

Answer Man  This was pretty amusing, with an interesting premise -- Jeff Daniels plays the reclusive author of a popular self-help book, who turns out to be a complete a-hole -- although the ending felt a bit forced. It's worth a rental, but not a purchase outright.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Just watched City of God again last night, hadn't seen it in a while. Incredibly well filmed Brazillian crime drama.  Told in two parts (the 60's and the 70's), its about a boy growing up surrounded by hoodlums in his development on the outskirts of Rio (City of God is the name of the development) and a series of gang wars that developed over this period.  It also comes with a brief documentary on the real gang wars in the favela.  In addition to the movie itself being great, the soundtrack is amazing.

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

My So-Called Life - The Complete Series  
JL_Garner wrote:

Answer Man  This was pretty amusing, with an interesting premise -- Jeff Daniels plays the reclusive author of a popular self-help book, who turns out to be a complete a-hole -- although the ending felt a bit forced. It's worth a rental, but not a purchase outright.

Might give Answer Man a try..I like Jeff Daniels..Now I am really responding to "My So Called Life' I have watched it with my daughter who is 25,she really lked it,and also "the Breakfast Club" which I have ....and have watched it over again ..Still same problems,still the anguish of youth..Have you ever seen "Diner"? I follow Kevin Bacons Career..I am not a name dropper ,far from it,but Kevin Bacon and a whole bunch of us,when he was a Waiter,before his career took off, on the upper WestSide of NYC..Would go dancing,and just hang out..He also had a band with his brother and would play upstate NY,many,many years later.,"Diner" is just such a Classic...I am curious if you ever saw it..If not,I think you would love/like it..Vtc.

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3

VTC, I think the Bacon Brothers are still playing.  I saw them on TV within the past year or so; only time I've seen them.

Ryan would be proud of me - I have been working my way through the Thin Man series over the past week or so.  I've watched the first five, and have one to go, plus the DVD with the profiles of William Powell and Myrna Loy.  I like the format of these, which I think is called 'A Night at the Movies', which includes a short subject and cartoon, the trailer, and the movie itself.  I also have a set of Marx Brother movies in that format.  I love the Robert Benchley comedy shorts, and then one had an interesting dramatization of Poe's The Telltale Heart.  Although one had a pretty lame short about a woman who ran a dance troupe of half-witted girls, who always had some crisis every time she tried to go marry her boyfriend, which turned out to be nothing, after all.

Complete Thin Man Collection 

This is the Marx Brothers set I mentioned:

Marx Brothers Collection  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

..Thank you dulcinea3.(You a plethora of info  ;   ).I can't believe they are still around,,Yes "The Bacon Brothers" memories la,la,la."The Thin Man' I loved all the flamboyance,and so much fun..Enjoy..Vtc...
dulcinea3 wrote:

VTC, I think the Bacon Brothers are still playing.  I saw them on TV within the past year or so; only time I've seen them.

Ryan would be proud of me - I have been working my way through the Thin Man series over the past week or so.  I've watched the first five, and have one to go, plus the DVD with the profiles of William Powell and Myrna Loy.  I like the format of these, which I think is called 'A Night at the Movies', which includes a short subject and cartoon, the trailer, and the movie itself.  I also have a set of Marx Brother movies in that format.  I love the Robert Benchley comedy shorts, and then one had an interesting dramatization of Poe's The Telltale Heart.  Although one had a pretty lame short about a woman who ran a dance troupe of half-witted girls, who always had some crisis every time she tried to go marry her boyfriend, which turned out to be nothing, after all.

Marx Brothers Collection  

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

You are more than right, I am proud of you :smileyvery-happy:

I love the vintage cartoon that they include on these discs.

dulcinea3 wrote:

Marx Brothers Collection  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

I've had the set for a few years, but hadn't watched them all yet (although I had seen them all on TV over the years).  Not enough time last night to finish up the movies, but I did put in the bonus disc and found that it has an episode from a Thin Man TV series, starring Peter Lawford and Phyllis Kirk!  Interesting!  Nick and Nora, in the TV series, although they are obviously well-to-do and cultured, still are not nearly as high-class as the ones in the movies.  I imagine that the various neighbors calling out of apartment windows to them were probably ongoing characters.  Then I watched the Powell profile.  It's weird thinking that he was actually born in the 1800s!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Moon

pen21
0 Kudos

I watched Moon this weekend. Excellent movie!

Also watched 2001 A Space Odyssey.

2001: A Space Odyssey

TiggerBear wrote:

Moon

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

The Thin Man!!!  Love The Thin Man. 

dulcinea3 wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

I've had the set for a few years, but hadn't watched them all yet (although I had seen them all on TV over the years).  Not enough time last night to finish up the movies, but I did put in the bonus disc and found that it has an episode from a Thin Man TV series, starring Peter Lawford and Phyllis Kirk!  Interesting!  Nick and Nora, in the TV series, although they are obviously well-to-do and cultured, still are not nearly as high-class as the ones in the movies.  I imagine that the various neighbors calling out of apartment windows to them were probably ongoing characters.  Then I watched the Powell profile.  It's weird thinking that he was actually born in the 1800s!

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Proposal  Yeah, I had to do it.  All my girlfriends said it was better than the average fluff.

I did laugh, it's true.  Betty White was absolutely hysterical and I thought Bullock and Reynolds both did fine performances.  BUT, it still maintained the formulaic honorable guy saves the heartless career woman.  UGH!  How about the other way around sometime?  Eh, that's cliche, too, no doubt.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12 wrote:

Proposal  Yeah, I had to do it.  All my girlfriends said it was better than the average fluff.

I did laugh, it's true.  Betty White was absolutely hysterical and I thought Bullock and Reynolds both did fine performances.  BUT, it still maintained the formulaic honorable guy saves the heartless career woman.  UGH!  How about the other way around sometime?  Eh, that's cliche, too, no doubt.

They did do that before... it was Two Weeks Notice, with Bullock and Hugh Grant. :smileywink:

I agree with you about the ending, but otherwise The Proposal was a hoot. Plus, it will always be etched in my mind because of a very irritating and persistent library patron who called us every day for two months to see if it had been checked back in yet.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

JL_Garner wrote:

basson_mommy12 wrote:

They did do that before... it was Two Weeks Notice, with Bullock and Hugh Grant. :smileywink:

I agree with you about the ending, but otherwise The Proposal was a hoot. Plus, it will always be etched in my mind because of a very irritating and persistent library patron who called us every day for two months to see if it had been checked back in yet.

Ah, I haven't seen that one before.  Maybe I'll check it out...  also a Sandra Bullock film!  Don't get me wrong, I like fairy tale movies for what it's worth; I'm not a feminazi.  One of my favorite Bullock films is "While You Were Sleeping."  I think the main reason I love this movie so much is because of one innocuous scene where the paper boy is throwing his fare and trips his bike.  I love that scene. It's so "Three Stooges!"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

My husband and I watched

Pride and Prejudice over the last couple of evenings.

Today, I started my way through the complete saga of

Horatio Hornblower .  ooh... Love this!  I've only watched them all twice before, but I've seen several episodes many times.  It's been a long time.  Definitely recommended!

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

basson_mommy12 wrote:

My husband and I watched

Pride and Prejudice over the last couple of evenings.

Just curious, have you seen Lost in Austen? I thought it was hilarious, and there's one scene in particular that owes Colin Firth big-time. Well-done fish-out-of-water comedy, and a particularly moving performance by Alex Kingston as Mrs. Bennett.

Lost in Austen 

Frequent Contributor
MichaelN
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Marley & Me

Just cried a lot guys- for days.

MN
TiggerBear
0 Kudos