Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney

Re: What are you watching?

That's me too, Dulcie.  The trailers first, then the movie, the gag reel next, and the other special features.  I'll give the commentaries a try, but one of the few that I've really enjoyed was Emma Thompson's on Sense and Sensibility.  It was interesting to hear what a struggle it was to try and stay true to the spirit of the novel and Jane Austen's voice.  Plus Thompson's hilarious.

Nancy 

dulcinea3 wrote:

I like to watch the special features.  Usually I look to see if there are any trailers for the movie, and watch those first, before I watch the movie itself, since normally you would have seen those before the movie came out or before you saw it.  Then I watch the movie, and then the other features.

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

If they have deleted scenes or bloopers, those would be the first features I watch after watching the movie.

I think the first movies I got with commentaries were a few of the Marx Brothers'.  I forget who it was doing the commentaries, but they were quite interesting.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Contributor
BookBabeVT
0 Kudos

Hi All,

My husband and I own about 250 DVD's and have recently decided to watch all of them in alphabetical orderWe started a short time ago and have finally gotten through the A's. We just finished watching Back to the Future 1 & 2 and still have the 3rd to watch. Classic! 88 miles-per-hour...

Additionally, we recently watched Slumdog Millionaire rented from Netflix - It wasn't at all what I expected, but I really enjoyed the way the story was told and I liked the ending quite a bit.

As for watching a movie with the commentary on...the only time I've done that was when I watched the movie for a homework assignment and I thought that the commentary might give me a little more insight to the movie.  

Shawna  

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

BookBabeVT wrote:

Hi All,

My husband and I own about 250 DVD's and have recently decided to watch all of them in alphabetical orderWe started a short time ago and have finally gotten through the A's. We just finished watching Back to the Future 1 & 2 and still have the 3rd to watch. Classic! 88 miles-per-hour...

Additionally, we recently watched Slumdog Millionaire rented from Netflix - It wasn't at all what I expected, but I really enjoyed the way the story was told and I liked the ending quite a bit.

As for watching a movie with the commentary on...the only time I've done that was when I watched the movie for a homework assignment and I thought that the commentary might give me a little more insight to the movie.  

Shawna  

(shudder) alphabetical order ?!

Contributor
BookBabeVT
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

BookBabeVT wrote:

Hi All,

Shawna  

I thought it would add a little twist to the project :smileyvery-happy: Gotta add a little excitement from time to time? :smileywink:
Contributor
BookBabeVT
0 Kudos

My Husband and I watched Gran Torino tonight and I really enjoyed it.

There were a lot of different emotions the movie invokes and I like the way Clint Eastwood's character evolved throughout.  There were some cliche lessons that were to be learned and at times you'd expect that Dirty Harry was gonna come popping out. But, in the long run I thought the movie was good and I liked the way it ended.

If you like Clint Eastwood and you have a couple hours, you might want to give it a whirl.

Shawna  

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

BookBabeVT wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

BookBabeVT wrote:

Hi All,

Shawna  

I thought it would add a little twist to the project :smileyvery-happy: Gotta add a little excitement from time to time? :smileywink:

Well if it makes you happy....

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I'm getting ready to watch. I just have to talk myself into watching the remake now

Haunting 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Haunting   this one?  Better than the first.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15

I dunno - the script adaptation on the 1999 remake was pretty rough compared to the book.  I thought the 1963 was a much better adaptation (but we can discuss on the LbW board :smileyvery-happy: )

TiggerBear wrote:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Ryan_G

I'm sorry Tigger but I have to disagree.  I just finished watching it and I fell in love with it all over again.  It is so superior to the remake in so many ways.  Melissa is right though and I will save my comments for the LBW board.

pedsphleb wrote:

I dunno - the script adaptation on the 1999 remake was pretty rough compared to the book.  I thought the 1963 was a much better adaptation (but we can discuss on the LbW board :smileyvery-happy: )

TiggerBear wrote:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Ok I disagree, break down LBW for me though.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

"LbW" = "Literature by Women"

The Haunting of Hill House is our book for this month :smileyhappy:

TiggerBear wrote:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I'm sorry Tigger but I have to disagree.  I just finished watching it and I fell in love with it all over again.  It is so superior to the remake in so many ways.  Melissa is right though and I will save my comments for the LBW board.

pedsphleb wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

I guess it depends on what you're looking for.  If you want an adaptation of a beloved novel, there is no comparison - the first one wins, hands down.  If you don't care about the original work and want a ghost story with amazing special effects, go with the second.

My friend hasn't been able to locate my copy of the newer one that she borrowed a few years ago.  I may just have to order it (I only had it - and the other one - on VHS, anyway, so now I can get the DVD).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

pedsphleb wrote:

"LbW" = "Literature by Women"

The Haunting of Hill House is our book for this month :smileyhappy:

TiggerBear wrote:

Thanks, I kinda lurk there sometimes.
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Shadow of the Thin Man