Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

Re: What Are You Watching

True Blood's new season started last night! It is one of my favorite shows and I am always glad when it comes back on. For those who don't know it is based on Charlaine Harris' Southern Vampire series.

Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Series #11)  

This is the latest book in the series. I love the books too. They are a fast, easy read. Great for summertime.

True Blood - Season 1 

True Blood - Season 2 

True Blood: The Complete Third Season    

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Inception  

Burlesque  

Nanny McPhee Returns  

I saw some good movies on cable lately:

Inception blew me away.  I think I need to see it again, as I came to understand some things better by the end than I had while they were happening.

Burlesque - really good.  Everybody does a great job - Cher, Christina Aguilera, Stanley Tucci, etc.  I wish that Alan Cummings' character had had more to do; he reminded me a bit of Joel Grey in Cabaret.

Nanny McPhee Returns was a really fun movie that kids would really love!  In what era was the first one set, though?  I hadn't remembered it as being way in the past, but if I understood correctly, Maggie Smith played the baby from that one all grown up (and elderly), and this one was set during one of the World Wars.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Frequent Contributor
DJ327
0 Kudos

Man there are a lot of posts on this thread.

I am trying out a new anime on Adult Swim called Durarara. It's been good so far first episode was serious while second was funny.

I am also waiting for Marvel. A new anime series on G4 about some of the top Marvel charactures.

Hoping it's good.

In the great words of Jimmy Hughes, "you don't get the meals you've missed back." - Mike O'Malley from Yes, Dear
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dan21
0 Kudos

Going to HP part 2 premiere right now!

dulcinea3

Man Who Knew Too Much 

Trouble with Harry  

Vertigo  

Rope  

Shadow of a Doubt  

Alfred Hitchcock - The Masterpiece Collection  

I've been in a Hitchcock mood lately, so I watched all of the above, from the set.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Concert For New York City   

I'm watching Concert for New York right now.  On VH1, but I also have it on VHS.  Amazing concert, punctuated with short films about NYC by directors like Scorcese, Woody Allen, and Spike Lee.

Bowie was up first, and now Bon Jovi is playing.  With all the amazing talents in this show, the Who are the highlight.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:

I'm watching Concert for New York right now.  On VH1, but I also have it on VHS.  Amazing concert, punctuated with short films about NYC by directors like Scorcese, Woody Allen, and Spike Lee.

Bowie was up first, and now Bon Jovi is playing.  With all the amazing talents in this show, the Who are the highlight.

Thanks so Much dulcinea3 ,cking my message's on my phone,,With family and New Grandson in Latham.NY..Saw your post. Went online....I caught Scorcese in Little Italy ..memories for me..I was raised in NYC...This is very Special...Now everyone is watching it,,,Baby Sleeping...Have a Good Sunday.....What a Wonderful way to Honor The Fallen and Families of 9/11   Suze

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Vermontcozy wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

Thanks so Much dulcinea3 ,cking my message's on my phone,,With family and New Grandson in Latham.NY..Saw your post. Went online....I caught Scorcese in Little Italy ..memories for me..I was raised in NYC...This is very Special...Now everyone is watching it,,,Baby Sleeping...Have a Good Sunday.....What a Wonderful way to Honor The Fallen and Families of 9/11   Suze

Suze, I'm glad that my post gave you the heads-up and you're watching, too!  It really is an incredible concert.  I see that it will be on until 10 PM.  As I recall, this was a free benefit for the firefighters, police, and other emergency personnel of NYC.  What I mean is that they and their families are the audience, and many of them are shown and some stories told.  So much talent turned out for this - not only the musical acts, but also actors and celebrities to announce the acts and tell some of the stories.  McCartney debuts his song Freedom inspired by 9/11 (I think he was at Kennedy airport when it happened).  I even love OperaMan!  And the Who even reunited for the cause.  I remember watching it live, and I think it was very soon after the tragedy, and I think it had a part in some of the healing. Right now, Spike Lee's film about the Yankees is on, and I think the Who are up next!  I think the finale is a jam to Let It Be.  I agree, watching is definitely a great way to remember and honor.

Inspired Contributor
Kimbeey13
0 Kudos

I am going to be watching 'Vampires Suck' again tonight for the third time with one of my friends. I certainly wasn't expecting to think this movie as hilarious as I do.

Vampires Suck  

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Scream  

Rocky Horror Picture Show  

Ring  

Devil's Backbone  

dulcinea3

Bride Of Frankenstein  

Count Dracula and His Vampire Bride  

She  

Tingler  

Invisible Man  

Some great classics on TV, too! (Invisible Man Returns and Invisible Man's Revenge, too)

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Innocents 

Wolf Man 

Brotherhood of the Wolf 

Stage Fright 

Haunting 

House on Haunted Hill 

Bat        

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
dulcinea3

[ Edited ]

Thing  

Dead & Breakfast  

Oooh, Ryan, that's a good selection!  I had forgotten that I recently saw The Innocents on TV.  It definitely made me wonder whether the haunting/posession was real, or whether Deborah Kerr's character was mad.  I may have to reread Turn of the Screw to find out if James meant it that way - it's been so many years since I've read it.  And Stage Fright is one of my very favorite Hitchcock movies, although it's not very well known.  Alastair Sim is wonderful, and my favorite scene is Hitch's cameo, when he turns to look at Jane Wyman, who is walking down the street rehearsing her impersonation of a maid.  Like a few of Christie's novels, some critics cried 'No fair!' about that movie - you probably can figure out why.  I just got surround sound, so I have been mostly watching DVDs, so I haven't pulled out my VHS of The Haunting, although I do have the DVD of the later version, which is only loosely based on the novel.  I also have another DVD of an unrelated Spanish horror movie called The Haunting, but I watched that recently when I got it.

I've also been checking out the On Demand 'Free Movies' horror category, and the other night I saw The Thing, another classic.  I had also watched a newer movie called Dead and Breakfast, which was kind of a gorey zombie movie, but also very funny.  I really enjoyed it.

Pretty soon I'll have to get started on the Halloween series - last year I completed my collection of the seven movies featuring Michael Myers (I could care less about Halloween 3, since it has no relation to the others).

Happy Haunting!!!

dulcinea3

Halloween  

Halloween 2  

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers  

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers  

Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers  

Halloween: H20  

Halloween: Resurrection  

Friday I watched Halloween and Halloween 2.  Tonight I plan on watching 4 and 5.  Both of these pairs should be watched together.  Then tomorrow I'll try to fit in 6, H2O, and Halloween Resurrection.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Miracle on 34th Street 

Christmas in Connecticut   

Frequent Contributor
tfadams
0 Kudos

watching haven christmass special and then onto sons of anarchy 5th season finale.

currently reading:
1) The red pyramid by rick riordan

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

House of Eliott: Series One  

Absolutely Fabulous - Absolutely Everything  

Black Adder Remastered - The Ultimate Edition  

Do Not Adjust Your Set  

Fawlty Towers Complete Series  

Good Neighbors - Series 4  

Mr Bean: Ultimate Collection  

16-Ton Monty Python Megaset™  

I'm watching The House of Elliott, a series from 1991 about two sisters who open a fashion design house in 1920's London.  Created by Jean Marsh and Eileen Atkins, the duo behind Upstais, Downstairs.  Great story, great acting, and the wardrobe is absolutely exquisite.  I found a box set of the complete series, even though I can't find it here on the website.  I've wanted this series for so long, but was put off by the high price.  But this week B&N had a sale of half off all British TV DVDs, and then I got another 10% off the sale price with my membership (buying in-store).  The first time I went, I limited myself to just a few, but kept thinking when would I see a deal like this again, and so went back with self-permission to go wild and buy anything I wanted!  A very generous early Christmas gift to myself!  I cleared out a lot of VHS tapes and got lots of extras that I didn't have on the tapes.

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I haven't been watching a lot of movie at home latelt, but I have seen a few:

Possession 

Thor 

Pollyanna 

Very Bad Things 

Complete Thin Man Collection      

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Black Adder Remastered - The Ultimate Edition  

I love Hayley Mills!  My favorite is The Parent Trap.  And I have that Thin Man collection; it's great, and I enjoyed the bios of William Powell and Myrna Loy that are included.

I've been working my way through Blackadder Remastered.  I'm on Blackadder the Third now.  After each series, I go back and watch the few episodes with commentary.  It also includes the Comic Relief sketch Blackadder: The Cavalier Years, the two specials (A Blackadder Chistmas Carol and Back and Forth), and something called Blackadder Rides Again, which I don't think I've ever seen before, so I don't know what to expect.