Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
Posts: 338
Registered: ‎04-09-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

Ah, so it's Yet Another Epic Ending That Makes No Sense. :smileywink:

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

Right on the head!

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
Posts: 338
Registered: ‎04-09-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

Well, I finally got to see it (at 12:30 a.m.... God bless ON DEMAND!), and I'm pretty mixed. As a whole, the two-parter was a bit rubbish, but a lot of the character moments make up for it... pretty much any scene where the Doctor and Wilf are talking with each other. John Simm's manic performance was brilliant. And the last 20 minutes as the Doctor goes around making his goodbyes was good, and almost made up for the previous two hours being pretty silly.

 

On the other hand, Matt Smith had an awesome introduction... Spring can't come soon enough! :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,279
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

JL_Garner..Just wondering if you had a chance to see "My So Called Life"?  Add product STILL BROKEN !! That series could go on and on as far as I am concerned..Vtc 

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎05-27-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

My husband and I stayed up and watched "District 9" last night.

 

 

Um.... that was really strange, but really, really good!  It was one of the most original movies I've ever seen.  It was graphicly violent, but in such a way that it was almost funny, and yet, the less-graphic violence was real and moving.  Boy, I'm gonna have to think more on this movie before I write a review on it. 

 

Anyone else seen this and wrapped their head around it yet?

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

 


basson_mommy12 wrote:

My husband and I stayed up and watched "District 9" last night.

 

 

Um.... that was really strange, but really, really good!  It was one of the most original movies I've ever seen.  It was graphicly violent, but in such a way that it was almost funny, and yet, the less-graphic violence was real and moving.  Boy, I'm gonna have to think more on this movie before I write a review on it. 

 

Anyone else seen this and wrapped their head around it yet?


 

 

Oh yes way back. I think the earlier discussion is 3 or 4 posts down page 1 here

 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎05-27-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

 

I've seen the first few episodes of this show - what did you think?  I love Toni Collette!

TiggerBear wrote:

 

United States of Tara - Season 1

  

 


 

 

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
Posts: 338
Registered: ‎04-09-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

 


Vermontcozy wrote:

JL_Garner..Just wondering if you had a chance to see "My So Called Life"?  Add product STILL BROKEN !! That series could go on and on as far as I am concerned..Vtc 


 

 

I finally got around to putting it in the DVD player, and I've watched the first five episodes so far. The fact that it seems just as fresh, relevant, and compelling as it did 15 years ago is a testament to the great writers and actors they had on the show.

 

I think it's part of why I also still enjoy The Breakfast Club after all these years; fashions and entertainment and technology may change, but antagonistic relationships between kids and parents, kids and teachers and, between each other will be a constant. :smileywink:

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
Posts: 743
Registered: ‎05-27-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

 


JL_Garner wrote:

 


Vermontcozy wrote:

JL_Garner..Just wondering if you had a chance to see "My So Called Life"?  Add product STILL BROKEN !! That series could go on and on as far as I am concerned..Vtc 


 

 

I finally got around to putting it in the DVD player, and I've watched the first five episodes so far. The fact that it seems just as fresh, relevant, and compelling as it did 15 years ago is a testament to the great writers and actors they had on the show.

 

I think it's part of why I also still enjoy The Breakfast Club after all these years; fashions and entertainment and technology may change, but antagonistic relationships between kids and parents, kids and teachers and, between each other will be a constant. :smileywink:


 

I think the true test would be to play it for a current member of the high school age group and see what THEY think of it.   When you see the popularity of a show like Gossip Girl, how do they compare?

 

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

 


basson_mommy12 wrote:

 

I've seen the first few episodes of this show - what did you think?  I love Toni Collette!

TiggerBear wrote:

 

United States of Tara - Season 1

  

 


 

 


 

Great show! Easily the number 1 spot of the best of 09 TV for me. Funny, painful, thinker. A really really really done well show. Buy it, rent it; you need to see this.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

 


basson_mommy12 wrote:

 


JL_Garner wrote:

 


Vermontcozy wrote:

JL_Garner..Just wondering if you had a chance to see "My So Called Life"?  Add product STILL BROKEN !! That series could go on and on as far as I am concerned..Vtc 


 

 

I finally got around to putting it in the DVD player, and I've watched the first five episodes so far. The fact that it seems just as fresh, relevant, and compelling as it did 15 years ago is a testament to the great writers and actors they had on the show.

 

I think it's part of why I also still enjoy The Breakfast Club after all these years; fashions and entertainment and technology may change, but antagonistic relationships between kids and parents, kids and teachers and, between each other will be a constant. :smileywink:


 

I think the true test would be to play it for a current member of the high school age group and see what THEY think of it.   When you see the popularity of a show like Gossip Girl, how do they compare?

 


 

You know I watched this show the first time, all of my group friends did, the characters were our age. But for me it was like Brady Bunch, just so not really. Most of my friends thought "hun that is soooo not a problem" every episode.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,653
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

I watched The Thin Blue Line Season 1 with Rowan Atkinson.

I was in the mood for something very different.

British humor from 1995.  It was fun.

Frequent Contributor
tree_lover
Posts: 158
Registered: ‎09-08-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

My husband and I saw District 9 in the movies than rented it again a couple of days ago.  I agree it was violent but I thought it was very well done.  We loved this movie.

 

liz

http://nygirltrustnoone.blogspot.com/
B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
Posts: 338
Registered: ‎04-09-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

 


TiggerBear wrote:

You know I watched this show the first time, all of my group friends did, the characters were our age. But for me it was like Brady Bunch, just so not really. Most of my friends thought "hun that is soooo not a problem" every episode.

 


 

Well, I guess on one level the "problems" of teenagers are infinitesimal compared to war, starvation, disease, genocide, etc. But then so are all of our problems (does my neighbor's house foreclosure really measure up to the sucking pit of despair that is the Zimbabwean economy?) Does that mean someone shouldn't make an intelligently written show about how we deal with them and grow from the experience?

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

 


JL_Garner wrote:

 


TiggerBear wrote:

You know I watched this show the first time, all of my group friends did, the characters were our age. But for me it was like Brady Bunch, just so not really. Most of my friends thought "hun that is soooo not a problem" every episode.

 


 

Well, I guess on one level the "problems" of teenagers are infinitesimal compared to war, starvation, disease, genocide, etc. But then so are all of our problems (does my neighbor's house foreclosure really measure up to the sucking pit of despair that is the Zimbabwean economy?) Does that mean someone shouldn't make an intelligently written show about how we deal with them and grow from the experience?

 


 

(shaking head) No not to that scale, it was that her teen problems were so not up to our teen problems. She had food, good home, parents that loved her, money when she wanted it, ect... We had poor, hungry, no home, parents dead or in jail or beating or..., empty pockets, the I don't expect to live more than 10 more years type problems. For a teen she had a really good life.

 

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
Posts: 338
Registered: ‎04-09-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 

(shaking head) No not to that scale, it was that her teen problems were so not up to our teen problems. She had food, good home, parents that loved her, money when she wanted it, ect... We had poor, hungry, no home, parents dead or in jail or beating or..., empty pockets, the I don't expect to live more than 10 more years type problems. For a teen she had a really good life.

 


 

Fair enough... in your case, yeah, most of what went on in that show would have seemed unrealistic. I guess my own circumstances growing up were closer to that of Angela and her family, and I thought that the show was bold and powerful and really spoke to me, and felt more "real" in its portrayal of that particular family than say, The Brady Bunch or The Cosby Show. To each their own.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

 


JL_Garner wrote:

 


TiggerBear wrote:

 

(shaking head) No not to that scale, it was that her teen problems were so not up to our teen problems. She had food, good home, parents that loved her, money when she wanted it, ect... We had poor, hungry, no home, parents dead or in jail or beating or..., empty pockets, the I don't expect to live more than 10 more years type problems. For a teen she had a really good life.

 


 

Fair enough... in your case, yeah, most of what went on in that show would have seemed unrealistic. I guess my own circumstances growing up were closer to that of Angela and her family, and I thought that the show was bold and powerful and really spoke to me, and felt more "real" in its portrayal of that particular family than say, The Brady Bunch or The Cosby Show. To each their own.

 


 

(Nod) True enough. To give the show it's due, it did have the first gay teen on TV.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

 

9

  

 

Reader
TristamBeow
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎11-16-2009
0 Kudos

Re: What are you watching?

Citizen Kane...over and over and over...

 

I was going to do my own film commentary but I need more time...more time to talk about what's happening on the screen.  so, i've decided to write a book with hundreds of screen shots and supplemental shots; shots of orson and the mercury team, images of his other films-mostly relevant stuff. 

 

i'm also reading simon callow's biograhys on welles; he's done two so far, a third on the way; reading pauline kael and of course "citizen hearst," the classic biography on william randolph hearst by w.a. swanberg.  a few others too.

 

i'll self-publish of course, as all the images will be copyrighted and i'm not interested in making cuts and edits to the book in order to make it marketable; plus, of course, there is no market for a book like this and too many other books on kane/welles exist.  so, in effect, a labor of love...but what isn't these days?

 

anyone want a copy...send email to tristambeow@gmail.com i'm about a year away from print.