Frequent Contributor
CULLENCRAZY
0 Kudos

What did you think about the movie "New Moon"?

Have you watched it? What did you think?

New User
betty46
0 Kudos

Re: What did you think about the movie "New Moon"?

Bright Star has the same theme as New Moon--unfulfillable longing. However, the writing and acting are much better in Bright Star than in New Moon.

Distinguished Wordsmith
angelcloud529
0 Kudos

New Moon was awesome!  I will watch it again in the theaters and I will buy it.  The only thing is I am worried that the special effects cover the fact that the writers of the movie missed the meat of the book.  I was enthralled by all the wolves and fight scenes.  It was great, much better than the first movie.  When I look back, I think they left out a lot of the storyline.  I am going to watch it again to make sure.  No matter what I will own the movie.  I liked it when I first watched it.  of course i had to listen extra carefully past all the screaming girls when jacob took off his shirt!!!!

HELP! I've fallen and can't reach my book!!!!
B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner

New Moon was really two movies: A well-done middle segment about Bella and Jacob, which while not expertly acted, and suffering from Stephenie Meyer's turgid source material, was at least enjoyable; and two bookend segments about Bella and Edward, which were almost unbearable to watch.

Part of it is the source material -- Stephen King was right on target when he said that Stephenie Meyer is a terrible writer -- but part of it is that Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson simply have wretched on-screen chemistry. For all the rumors of their hot-and-heavy behind-the-scenes romance, you'd think they could have let a little of that bleed onto the film. Instead, their scenes are uncomfortable and awkward, and about as sexy as a blind date with a serial killer. Stewart and Taylor Lautner, on the other hand, are a lot of fun. He has a natural charm that compensates for his poor acting, and they play off each other well (though it's a bit more brother-sister with a dash of puppy love on his part).

The special effects, directing, songs, and pretty much every aspect of New Moon's production were head and shoulders above Twilight. I don't know how much they can improve on what's to come; we already know who ends up with who, which means less good Bella/Jacob interplay, and more nausea-inducing Bella/Edward stuff. I do think it's epically sad when all the supporting characters -- from Charlie to Bella's school buddies to the other Cullens to the Volturi -- are all better written and better acted than the three leads.

That said, when this comes out on DVD, I'm sure I'll watch this one a dozen times as well. :smileyindifferent:

New User
AMCamacho

In my opinion, I will always love the books so much more than the movies. There are just too many pieces of the book missing in the movie that I felt gave the story so much life. Also, because the movies have a time limit, trying to squeeze 600 pages of information into a two hour movie and make the story a great as it should be is very difficult. They probably could have made a mini series with the books where you watch two hours every night for a week or something to get more in there. Then maybe it wouldn't have seemed so rushed.  With that being said, I actually thought New Moon was better constructed than Twilight. (I still loved Twilight) I'm sure that having a bigger budget, a more seasoned director, and a couple of big names in the cast to help it along, had something to do with that. (Dakota Fanning looked wicked!) and as hot as Taylor Laughtner's bod has gotten (and believe me, it was great to look at) it was so unnecessary for him to take his shirt off for a little cut on Bella's head. Now running around in the woods without a shirt? by all means, run run run. :smileyhappy: 

So, yeah the movies are great and they are definatly going to be a part of my movie library to be enjoyed over and over again, however the books are so much better.

Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ok, I now have a visual of Taylor Lautner in a "Baywatch" montage.  Thanks AMCamacho.  At 36, I was probably of median age of those in attendance at the screening of "New Moon" yesterday afternoon.  When Mr. Lautner tears his shirt off over his head to staunch Bella's head wound, there was an audible intake of collective breath.  Oh.  My.  Goodness!  I'm not one to get into eye candy, but it was really a beautiful sight.

As for the film itself, I would agree with the previous posts - "New Moon" is better than "Twilight," just as a comparison of the novels bears out.  Bella's character is inherently flawed and no amount of tweaking to the script would improve the situation.  She is awkward and unfortunately, when you're trying to portray that in film, without the benefit of seeing into the mind of a character, as you can in a novel, it becomes uncomfortable and nearly intolerable.  And not in a good way.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Frequent Contributor
MichaelN
0 Kudos

For anyone who has read the books, is it true that the 4th installment will almost certainly not be a movie? I hear the story takes a real turn to the adult.

MN
B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner

MichaelN wrote:

For anyone who has read the books, is it true that the 4th installment will almost certainly not be a movie? I hear the story takes a real turn to the adult.

I don't know how they could not do an adaptation of Breaking Dawn after having done the first three. It is true that the story takes a huge turn to the adult. I won't spoil why, but for the film adaptation to do any justice to the novel, it would assuredly end up with an 'R' rating.