Frequent Contributor
MichaelN
0 Kudos

Your favorite movie soundtrack

I don't listen to as many of these as once ago. Does everyone have a favorite, or favorites? Some I life for nostalgia, and others more quality: Magnolia, Good Will Hunting, High Fidelity, Boomerang, Lost in Translation, ... I'm sure I'm missing obvious ones.

And though I haven't heard it yet I've heard great things about the Where the Wild Things Are soundtrack.

MN
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

Re: Your favorite movie soundtrack

MichaelN wrote:

I don't listen to as many of these as once ago. Does everyone have a favorite, or favorites? Some I life for nostalgia, and others more quality: Magnolia, Good Will Hunting, High Fidelity, Boomerang, Lost in Translation, ... I'm sure I'm missing obvious ones.

And though I haven't heard it yet I've heard great things about the Where the Wild Things Are soundtrack.

My husband is a soundtrack fanatic, although he tends towards the orchestral type.  Some of my faves are:
"Top Gun," "Shakespeare in Love," "Life is Beautiful," "Empire Strikes Back," "Say Anything," "The Breakfast Club," "The Adventures of Robin Hood," "Vertigo," "Lord of the Rings," and "The Mission."
"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

I know that a lot of movies include a lot of great music on their soundtracks that are used more as a backdrop or to set the cultural setting, and so are not specifically for the movie, but although I enjoy hearing the music while watching the movie, I don't really pay a lot of attention to those kinds of soundtracks.  I mean the ones that have original rock songs and the like.

For me, a real soundtrack would usually be for a musical.  I have liked some of these enough to buy the albums/CDs.  I guess my favorite would be Grease.  My favorite songs on it are Hot Summer Nights and Greased Lightning.  Sandy is corny, in a good way, and Look at Me, I'm Sandra Dee is hilarious.  One of the songs during the dance, which you don't really pay attention to so much during the movie, is It's Raining on Prom Night, which is also hilarious (my favorite line is, "It's wilting the quilting on my Maidenform").  And a whole set by Sha Na Na, in their heyday, is a wonderful bonus.  Lots of other good stuff on there, too - another funny one is Beauty School Drop-out ("No customer would go to you unless she were a hooker"), sung by Frankie Avalon as the Teen Angel.

I also like Saturday Night Fever, Oliver!, Camelot, and Jesus Christ Superstar (although I prefer the original album).  And, of course, A Hard Day's Night, Help!, Yellow Submarine, and Let It Be!  (I'm not including Magical Mystery Tour because that's a TV special, not a movie).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
New User
Yes_Definitely
0 Kudos

I quite like the soundtrack to "Glory" and also to "The Piano" although I did not much care for that film otherwise. 

Correspondent
Permacav50

Probably the Transformers soundtrack from the animated movie that came out in the 1980's. All of the good songs plus the great background music is on there. Everytime I hear Instruments of Destruction I always get the visual of Megatron turning into the gun and wasting all the autobots at the beginning of the movie. :smileyhappy:

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

I'm much more a fan of orchestral soundtracks than vocal soundtracks, but I have favorites among both.

My top 5 orchestral:

Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back 

Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi  

Cinema Paradiso  

Mission [#2 Score]  

Star Trek: The Motion Picture [20th Anniversary Collectors Edition]  

My favorite vocal scores:

Shaft (Shaft could actually fit in both categories; there's a few songs, but most of it is instrumental music)

Magnolia [Original Soundtrack]  

Twilight [Original Soundtrack]  (strictly a guilty pleasure. Really.)

Frequent Contributor
MichaelN
0 Kudos

I forgot one of my favorite soundtracks- the Gershwin specific Manhattan soundtrack from Woody Allen's movie.

MN
New User
DinoBess
0 Kudos

By far, the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy has my favorite soundtrack -- Howard Shore defines "epic" with french horns and trumpets.

Though "Pirates of the Caribbean" has a good hook, too, and "Jurassic Park"'s is beautifully uplifting when there aren't any dinos trying to kill people.

I was a clarinetist, a.k.a. band geek, in middle school, and I played/heard them all. You feel your reed buzzing with the unseen life Hobbits and raptors and try to breathe as a typm (tympani) adds several thousand beats to your pulse, and you love that music for life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Books help me both leave and see the world.
New User
odomsit
0 Kudos

my favorite music is dorothy it is just soothing i just love it:smileyhappy:

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Hmm a few....

Crow  

Conan the Barbarian [2003]

Strange Days [Original Soundtrack]

come to mind first

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Magnolia [Original Soundtrack]  

L.A. Confidential [Soundtrack] 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Empire Records  

Juno  

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
New User
0 Kudos

My favorite movie soundtrack is the one for Marie Antoinette movie. There are gorgeous songs and not too common.

Correspondent
cork_dork_mom

Hands down the best movie soundtrack ever is...

O Brother, Where Art Thou?  

cork_dork_mom
New User
letterbomb1039
0 Kudos

i love the soundtrack to The Lion King.  Elton John is a genious

New User
Zorracristal

If I tell all my favorites soundtracks I know; I think it would go too deep from the message:

Music from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy 

Kung Fu Panda [Music from the Motion Picture]

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Alvin and the Chipmunks [Original Soundtrack]

Music from the Harry Potter Films  

Pirates of the Carribean        

Trilogy

Titanic: The Ultimate Collection  

Shark Tale 

Shrek 2 [Original Soundtrack] 

Hannah Montana: The Movie

AND SO GOES  ON (I dont remember all of them):smileyvery-happy:

dulcinea3
0 Kudos

DinoBess wrote:

By far, the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy has my favorite soundtrack -- Howard Shore defines "epic" with french horns and trumpets.

You know, every time I hear Howard Shore's name, no matter how much impressive work he has done over the years, the first thing that always comes into my mind is Howard Shore and his All Nurse Band, back when they were the house band on Saturday Night Live.

I think they all dressed up as bees once, too, but I can't find any pictures!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Contributor
twilighterNS
0 Kudos

my favorite movies soundtrack(s) are

Twilight movie soundtrack and the new moon movie soundtrack.

Noel May Schultz
New User
12angrymen
0 Kudos

The soundtrack to The Sting-The Entertainer

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick

I guess I'll be a little cliche but my faves are:

Big Chill [Original Soundtrack] 

Footloose [Expanded Edition]