Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

CATFISH AND CLIQUES

I had a thought, lets see what you guys think about it. Does Alice really seem to fit in with any of the girls at school, anywhere in the book? If so why, if not why not? We all remember school cliques. Do you think the girls in these cliques, are the catfish of the next generation? And WHAT is with the girl with the fairy wings she wears???? LOL, did i miss something, or does she just wear them all the time??
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: CATFISH AND CLIQUES



vivico1 wrote:
I had a thought, lets see what you guys think about it. Does Alice really seem to fit in with any of the girls at school, anywhere in the book? If so why, if not why not? We all remember school cliques. Do you think the girls in these cliques, are the catfish of the next generation? And WHAT is with the girl with the fairy wings she wears???? LOL, did i miss something, or does she just wear them all the time??




I do not know. But this girl seemed so strange! I do believe she has problems also!
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: CATFISH AND CLIQUES


vivico1 wrote:
... Does Alice really seem to fit in with any of the girls at school, anywhere in the book? If so why, if not why not? We all remember school cliques. Do you think the girls in these cliques, are the catfish of the next generation? And WHAT is with the girl with the fairy wings she wears???? LOL, did i miss something, or does she just wear them all the time??




I think there must be a group Alice could fit in to. She's always been her sister's shadow, and she lacks confidence to try to socialize. I think she just sits backs and observes and if she leaves others alone, they will leave her alone. I went to a big high school, and there was always a group for one to "go" to. When she got her new clothes and new hairdo, the cheerleaders sought her out. Interesting since school was already well into the year, that they would decide to seek her out.

Catfishes, yes ... a new generation. The "popular group" (I hate that term), the cheerleaders would be.

The girl with the fairy wings ... since she can't fit in, she'll draw attention to herself to just be around. Everyone knows of her, right? :smileywink:

She doesn't always wear the fairy wings ... there's another prop she wears. I can't remember what it is, tho. Am I correct? :smileysurprised:
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: CATFISH AND CLIQUES


cindersue wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
... Does Alice really seem to fit in with any of the girls at school, anywhere in the book? If so why, if not why not? We all remember school cliques. Do you think the girls in these cliques, are the catfish of the next generation? And WHAT is with the girl with the fairy wings she wears???? LOL, did i miss something, or does she just wear them all the time??






The girl with the fairy wings ... since she can't fit in, she'll draw attention to herself to just be around. Everyone knows of her, right? :smileywink:

She doesn't always wear the fairy wings ... there's another prop she wears. I can't remember what it is, tho. Am I correct? :smileysurprised:


Seems to me she was wearing them at Sheila's party but then again she was wearing them at school in the lunchroom while the girls were talking. So if there was a reason for that, thats what i wasnt catching. It seemed to me, she just liked to wear them, unless I missed something lol.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: CATFISH AND CLIQUES



vivico1 wrote:

cindersue wrote:

vivico1 wrote:
... Does Alice really seem to fit in with any of the girls at school, anywhere in the book? If so why, if not why not? We all remember school cliques. Do you think the girls in these cliques, are the catfish of the next generation? And WHAT is with the girl with the fairy wings she wears???? LOL, did i miss something, or does she just wear them all the time??






The girl with the fairy wings ... since she can't fit in, she'll draw attention to herself to just be around. Everyone knows of her, right? :smileywink:

She doesn't always wear the fairy wings ... there's another prop she wears. I can't remember what it is, tho. Am I correct? :smileysurprised:


Seems to me she was wearing them at Sheila's party but then again she was wearing them at school in the lunchroom while the girls were talking. So if there was a reason for that, thats what i wasnt catching. It seemed to me, she just liked to wear them, unless I missed something lol.




Why is it, this never changes. Clothes change, cars change, techinolgy changes but people in highh school never change their way of including or excluding people in groups. If a person was standing out side by their self at a table or maybe sitting at the end, no one cares; doesn't that just prove that is the way with the world. As long as the persn is included, who cares about the one left behind. I wish this concept would change for the one left behind.
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: CATFISH AND CLIQUES


kiakar wrote:


Why is it, this never changes. Clothes change, cars change, techinolgy changes but people in highh school never change their way of including or excluding people in groups. If a person was standing out side by their self at a table or maybe sitting at the end, no one cares; doesn't that just prove that is the way with the world. As long as the persn is included, who cares about the one left behind. I wish this concept would change for the one left behind.


Don't you think this is just like the Catfish, just school age cliques who grew up?
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Users Online
Currently online: 34 members 720 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: