Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Miss me?

cindersue wrote:
Glad to see you pop up! hehehe
I'm on a waiting list for Mangos and the Blind Book. Now I'm twiddling my thumbs. Guess I'll finish some other books while I wait. :smileywink: See you 'round. :smileywink:

while your twiddling then, post your thoughts clear through to end of book then LOL. Or add threads if you want. It isnt a spoiler to post to the book as a whole threads, people know those are for if you have read it all now. I have waited on those too, except on a couple but I may this week anyway. Or try a thread you havent posted to yet, I think there are a couple I havent cause I started another thread about something in them :smileysurprised: lol. I just got the mango book but then only read one chapter and had yard work to do yesterday, ALL day, cause it was so so hot and I have a sore shoulder and cut up hand from trying to start my gas weed eater. I need that darn thing for this thick grasses and weeds out here but I never did get it started. Have to get some help to weed eat from now on I guess :smileysad: . ANYWAYYY lol, I seem to be taking a break for a few days from reading, back to some old movies on tv for a bit for some reason. I think just wanted to get more discussions going in here and pay attention to this one to finish it first. I read one other already, the blind guy one and its really a very good book, but I am losing some details about this one reading others while i am waiting to see if someone has something new to say. I think I will finish up my posts this week tho and think of some questions for Aryn other than what I have already.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room/ any life out there???

vivico1 wrote:
OK, did the catastrophe that happened in the book THE ROAD, happen for real??? WHERE the heck is everyone?? Maybe I should start writing in here, dear diary, read this book today LOL! Cindersue,kiakar (if you can get on), wrighty....at this pace, you know how we all talked about wanting to do another harlan book? heck, we could pick one sometime, maybe if nothing is good in Aug and go to the big community room and start a thread in there just for us to discuss that book together, or anyone else who stumbles across it but at least we would be there LOL, not a bad idea actually. We could still do one of the suggested books of our chosing, whether alike or not, and then do one as a group of 4 thast we really want to do together hehe. hmm, the possibilities. IN THE MEAN TIME, sure would like some discussion on this book, anywhere in it, start, middle, end and I know there are more than 4 of us in here, 5 including leftbrainer, sorry nancy :smileyhappy:. OK I am bored, can you tell??? did everyone just move on? this has been a drier spell than most weekends, a longer one. Guess we need our mod and author back. hmm.

Let me know something! Sounds good! I should be on again by next week. I am visiting a friend again.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

Wrighty wrote:

I thought I'd pop in and see how you are doing without me. You all miss me don't you? :smileywink: :smileyhappy: :smileytongue: :smileyvery-happy:
I FINALLY got the book. I guess I'm a bit late but I plan on reading it anyway. I've been peeking at some of the posts but only a few of the early ones and anything that shouldn't contain a spoiler. I've missed everyone this month!

we missed you too wrighty, now read LOL! :smileywink: Where's kiakar? I think she just came on once or twice on someone else's comp, hope hers is working soon lol.

Talking about me huh? Ha.ha. Anyway, hoping to be back on the talk show by next week pernmantly. I am hoping anyway. I am still on my friends one and have to visit like 45 min. away for that. But its worth it if mine want percolate! See you soon I hope.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:
I'm on a waiting list for Mangos and the Blind Book. Now I'm twiddling my thumbs. Guess I'll finish some other books while I wait. :smileywink: See you 'round. :smileywink:

So what are we reading next month?? I already have the Mango book? What else?
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

cindersue wrote:

So what are we reading next month?? I already have the Mango book? What else?

The blind book she is refering to, is the one, Crashing Through by Robert Kurson, I have finished that one and its good. So we are planning on the Mango one, not the one from last month about the Peace Corps woman, the novel, Land of the Mango Sunsets (I think) about the New Yorker, dont tell us anything about it yet if you have read it Kiakar, I just started and two are waiting on theirs lol! But I will be in both those clubs next month. Good to see you in today and talking about the book :smileywink:.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

My friend who works at the library read the blind book. She said it was awesome. I'm on a waiting list for that one too.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

next month

cindersue wrote:
My friend who works at the library read the blind book. She said it was awesome. I'm on a waiting list for that one too.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to do that one. I'll have to find out more about it. The little I read about it did make it sound good. I'm on the list for Mango and I got the vampire one already. I haven't decided on that one yet either. I've never read anything by this author (Kim Harrison). Has anyone else? I'd like to read a book that has a really good discussion going for the whole month (or most of it anyway).
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

Yep, its a keeper :smileywink:
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Maya Angelou

has anyone read anything by maya angelou and if so, what did you read and what did you think about it? I never have read anything she has written but have thought about it from time to time and never got around to it. Suggestions?
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re:Clear Book Covers

Hey guys, we talked in here or another club about clear covers for our book dust covers, to keep them nice when clear laminating paper wont work or you dont want to use it. Well I found a site that the libraries use for their books and its not a bad price for books you want to keep nice. I know B&N doesnt like ad type websites listed here but I dont think they will mind this one. Its to keep those books we by at B&N nice and new looking :smileywink: and they dont sell these and suggested I look here. I know I need some of these! I love keeping my dust jackets on my books and safe from tears and stains. Thought some of you might be interested :smileyhappy:.

http://www.shopbrodart.com/site_pages/bjc/
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

ANYONE STILL THERE????

Hey guys, I was checking and from what I can tell, other than the mod and author and overly talkative me, I dont see anyone posting since about thursday of last week. Who is still here and reading and posting? Are we still going, we got like a week and a half left? Anyone still here and wanting to discuss more? If not, I will just post some final thoughts about the book and any final questions for Aryn. I have a couple on here now for her but sure wish you guys were in on this. So, what say ye? Hope all my talking has not run people off. If so, I will finish my thoughts tomorrow or weds and move on. Where is everyone at? lol
Vivian
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Re: ANYONE STILL THERE????

vivico1 wrote:
Hey guys, I was checking and from what I can tell, other than the mod and author and overly talkative me, I dont see anyone posting since about thursday of last week. Who is still here and reading and posting? Are we still going, we got like a week and a half left? Anyone still here and wanting to discuss more? If not, I will just post some final thoughts about the book and any final questions for Aryn. I have a couple on here now for her but sure wish you guys were in on this. So, what say ye? Hope all my talking has not run people off. If so, I will finish my thoughts tomorrow or weds and move on. Where is everyone at? lol

Hey Viv!

I posted a few things last week but I had just started the book and I figured I was too far behind everyone else. I didn't really see much going on so I thought the group might be done.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: ANYONE STILL THERE????

Hey Viv!

I posted a few things last week but I had just started the book and I figured I was too far behind everyone else. I didn't really see much going on so I thought the group might be done.

yeah it was last week. So did you finish the book or move on to another one you had instead? Maybe June is a bad month for participation.
Vivian
Author
aryn
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room/ first person vs 3rd person narration

Hey guys, fYi:

Second person is the "you" point of view ("Say things stop working out for you."). It's pretty rare, but there are some fabulous examples. Check out Lorrie Moore's short story collection Self Help. Many of the stories are told in second person, and they're fabulous!

Also, definitely jump into some end of the book threads if you're finished. I've been holding off because the threads with the most action all say, "no spoilers," and I've just started posting spoilers in them anyway.

I'd love to know what you all think about Joe and Alice as far as the book as a whole goes.

Check out Lorrie Moore! She's the best thing since sliced bread!

vivico1 wrote:
hey guys, if 1st person is the one talking themself and third person is someone telling the story about someone else...................what is second person???? LOL, OK, I am bored. But really, ever hear of 2nd person? Why did we skip that person's perspective lol? :smileywink:

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

aryn wrote:
Hey guys, fYi:

Second person is the "you" point of view ("Say things stop working out for you."). It's pretty rare, but there are some fabulous examples. Check out Lorrie Moore's short story collection Self Help. Many of the stories are told in second person, and they're fabulous!

Also, definitely jump into some end of the book threads if you're finished. I've been holding off because the threads with the most action all say, "no spoilers," and I've just started posting spoilers in them anyway.

I'd love to know what you all think about Joe and Alice as far as the book as a whole goes.

Check out Lorrie Moore! She's the best thing since sliced bread!

How funny, I didn't even know there was such a thing as 2nd person, was just joking around LOL. Now I will have to check it out, thanks for the lead. Hey Aryn, go for it, post to the end of book threads, weekends are notorious for no action and then its the last week. I think most of us if not all of us are done with the book but they have spoiler warnings anyway. The ones that have been posted to, look at how many have been viewed. I think a lot of people are just enjoying reading the posts but not posting. Very few posts this week at all so yeah, go for it. I am sure everyone would love to hear what you have to say on them and if they are not there, they can read them for probably a month after you are gone but we can only discuss with you this one last week. If you wait till the last day and some of us want to ask you something about what you said, you will be gone! :smileysad: Hey, are you on the west coast? I just ask because looking at the time of night/day you post, you are a bigger night owl than I am!
Vivian
Author
aryn
0 Kudos

Hey Viv,

Thanks! I'll post some "book as a whole" thoughts this weekend. I can't believe there's only one week left! I've done a lot of traveling this month, and it's just whizzed by.

Glad too to help you out with 2nd person. :smileyhappy: You don't see it often, but it is out there. Stories written as letters, for example, use the 2nd person.

That's funny that you noticed the times from my posts! I'm on mountain time (Montana is home), but I am definitely a night owl. I usually write at night, then sleep in. My boyfriend is in Russia right now, and without him around to maintain a basic schedule of human interaction, I have become completely nocternal. I love being up late, after everyone else has gone to sleep. The world is so quiet--the phone doesn't ring, people don't come to the door, the neighbor isn't outside my window, swearing at his weed-wacker. It's just easier to think. Anyway, nice to know that I'm in the company of another nightowl. :smileyhappy:

Thanks so much for all your thoughtful posts this month, too.

All best,

Aryn
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

aryn wrote:
Hey Viv,

Thanks! I'll post some "book as a whole" thoughts this weekend. I can't believe there's only one week left! I've done a lot of traveling this month, and it's just whizzed by.

Glad too to help you out with 2nd person. :smileyhappy: You don't see it often, but it is out there. Stories written as letters, for example, use the 2nd person.

That's funny that you noticed the times from my posts! I'm on mountain time (Montana is home), but I am definitely a night owl. I usually write at night, then sleep in. My boyfriend is in Russia right now, and without him around to maintain a basic schedule of human interaction, I have become completely nocternal. I love being up late, after everyone else has gone to sleep. The world is so quiet--the phone doesn't ring, people don't come to the door, the neighbor isn't outside my window, swearing at his weed-wacker. It's just easier to think. Anyway, nice to know that I'm in the company of another nightowl. :smileyhappy:

All best,

Aryn

How funny, I was yelling at my weed whacker yesterday, just cant pull that darn rope on those gas ones enough times without killing myself to get it started, so went and bought another electric one just today! I hope its more powerful than the one i had a few years ago that was cheaper cause I have a lot of clumps of prairie grass around my mobile home that the old electric just doesnt cut at all, thats why i went to a gas one, but then "I" dont cut at all LOL. Yeah, I am on sometimes late at night playing some online games like scrabble or gin or canasta or even yahtzee! lol, anything to just kill some late night hours and maybe chat. Have tried to get Kiakar or Wrightly to join me sometime but I dont think they are late night people lol. Kiakar doesnt even have a computer right now, so she has had to borrow a friends for her few posts this month hehe. Well nightowl, if you are into any online games sometime, send me a private message and we will share some info. I couldn't write that late like you do, I am trying to wind down that late tho I have woke up in the morning with things in my head that I had to sit down and write right away so I didn't forget one word or phrase in it. But then, I am not a published writer either :smileywink:. Well, two magazine things but not the same. Anyway yeah, I am looking forward to your weekend posts. I was thinking about what you said about Mr Demar today while i was out so going back to that one to post my thoughts about what you said. Boyfriend in Russia???? Man,I would settle for a vacation down the road, near a waterfall a friend of mine went to once and liked lol. :smileywink:
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room -- Cage of Stars

For those of you who read Cage of Stars. I just got back from a trip to a small town. On Saturday, the body of solider was picked up at the airport, then he was driven with the family, vets and others home, stopping in this small town because he lived there and his fathers office was still there. My mother-in-law was married to his great uncle.

Anyway ... a young reporter came up to us and asked us if we knew anyone he could interview that may have known him. He said his boss wanted him to get an interview with the family, but he wasn't going to even try. He thought that was private. Hip-hip-hooray! I thought of Cage of Stars and the media and our discussions. There is hope for privacy of mourners.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room -- Cage of Stars

[ Edited ]

cindersue wrote:
For those of you who read Cage of Stars. I just got back from a trip to a small town. On Saturday, the body of solider was picked up at the airport, then he was driven with the family, vets and others home, stopping in this small town because he lived there and his fathers office was still there. My mother-in-law was married to his great uncle.

Anyway ... a young reporter came up to us and asked us if we knew anyone he could interview that may have known him. He said his boss wanted him to get an interview with the family, but he wasn't going to even try. He thought that was private. Hip-hip-hooray! I thought of Cage of Stars and the media and our discussions. There is hope for privacy of mourners.

I thought about that book today myself, and about forgiveness. We talked about forgiveness at church today too. Also I read this article...those of you who were in Cage of Stars, know I am Mormon and asked me a few things about that book and if they were correct or not...anyway, here is an article that the second counselor to our Prophet gave a talk at General Conference (tv conference twice a year for the world to hear the Prophet and others speak) about the Amish Community when the little girls were shot and killed. I didn't know some of this and you may find it interesting. They are amazing people and their forgiveness had me thinking about that book also. It talks about the media too and how one just wanted them gone (remember the little girl in Cage?)
http://www.lds.org/portal/site/LDSOrg/menuitem.b12f9d18fae655bb69095bd3e44916a0/?vgnextoid=2354fccf2...

In our own community, one of the women at our church, today was the 2nd anniversary of the death of her 19 month old granddaughter. Their family lives in a nearby town about 20 miles away and so we know them too. The little one died when her family was trying to move into a mobile home and the parents had taken the doors off the mobile home to get the bigger furniture in, lots of family helping, and the little one slipped out the door with other little kids unnoticed in all the traffic. Anyway, she tried to follow some kids across the street and was backed over and killed by an illegal alien from Mexico who was visiting family in this mobile home park. I do remember the media there that day on tv and seeing the grandfather speaking for the family. And I had heard how torn up this man was who ran over her, tho I didn't know about the IA thing and it only applies to the story anyway in the following way. Today, because of this topic, someone spoke of what happened to that family and the man. He didnt speak english and was horrified. One member of the family, spoke a little, and went and put his arms around him and hugged him. They called a family near the University of Oklahoma and two of the missionaries in that area to come out who did speak spanish to talk to the man and his family there too. Everyone was crying on both sides. She was just a baby after all but this was nothing more than a horrible accident. They had the missionaries talk for them as they talked to the man and his family here and told them that, that it was a horrible accident and they knew he was hurting too. They told him they forgave him, right there and also one of them, said dont you worry, we will get you the paperwork you need done right, so that you can stay here all the time with your family and not be coming and going and trying to hide. At the funeral were members of both families and they all hugged and mourned. I was told today that even tho the mother still cant talk about that day, every time she sees the man (who now lives here permanently)down the street from them, she gives him a hug and asked about his day. He now speaks english, works hard at his job and loves being able to stay with his family and his new friendships born out of the worst tragedy. Man, forgiveness is a blessing, on both sides. Two of you in here, when we were in Cage of Stars, talked about someone you had being taken from you and we did talk about some of this stuff in there. I thought about you too and hope and wish the best for you. What a Christlike attribute these people (both stories) have who can forgive like that. This little girl was an accident yes but still, and with everyone in a furior over the illegal immigrants , he could have been in trouble. In the news this past week was basically the same story, a man, an IA, ran over a little kid in Texas who he couldn't see behind his car and such a different outcome. People in the neighborhood pulled him and his passenger out of the car and beat them, beat the passenger to death! I guess today, Sunday is a good day to talk on these things. You can't tell me that having God close in your life doesn't make a difference. It does. I wanted to share this with you guys but wasnt sure how and then i read your thread here Cindersue about the book and thought, yeah, these stories are meant to be shared today. Thank you for your post! :smileywink: and my condolences to that family of the fallen soldier, who if I am reading this right, you are related to Cindersue.

Message Edited by vivico1 on 06-24-2007 07:35 PM
Vivian
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

aryn wrote:
Hey Viv,

All best,

Aryn

I know Aryn, the time seems to have escaped through the air. Oc course since my computer broke down a month or two ago I do not get to email as much or stay on line. So it probily feels that double for me.
Users Online
Currently online: 31 members 258 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: