Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Community Room

Welcome to the Community Room, a catch-all thread for any side conversations that might distract from the ongoing discussion of The God of Animals. Get to know each other here, share common interests, and have fun!

Reply to this message to start the conversation.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room

OOOOHH, I love that we have our own community room for chatting too! This is great, wont have to start seperate threads to not plog up the main threads with other stuff or silliness. TY for putting on on this club, the last club i was in didnt have one :smileytongue:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Is anyone else feeling this ... I'm worried to open some of the threads yet. I haven't finished the book, and am afraid that some of the threads may be ahead of me and ruin the ending for me. Can we specific what chapters or "early" (as some indicate). I am finding my self leery of reading some of the threads in case they have "spoilers." Maybe it's the unseasonable humid weather we are encountering in the Midwest and the panic of needing to finish the book ... which I am enjoying very much! :smileywink:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:
Is anyone else feeling this ... I'm worried to open some of the threads yet. I haven't finished the book, and am afraid that some of the threads may be ahead of me and ruin the ending for me. Can we specific what chapters or "early" (as some indicate). I am finding my self leery of reading some of the threads in case they have "spoilers." Maybe it's the unseasonable humid weather we are encountering in the Midwest and the panic of needing to finish the book ... which I am enjoying very much! :smileywink:

Cindersue,
you might post this very question on a PM to our mod and on questions to author too and see what they say. I agree with you and I am finished but I am afraid I will post a spoiler to those who arent because we have early book then WHOLE book and some of the whole has some questions that could have their own threads or people in middle could engage in but then the rest is there.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
basia
0 Kudos

Hi guys, I just saw this, I'll see what I can do.

-Mod
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Thanks! I'm new at this too. :smileywink:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room/ a blessing for a blessing

Had to share something that happened today with a few of you so here it is, out of the way of the book questions. I dont know if any of you saw the recent movie Bridge to Tarabithia, kinda advertised when it first came out as one like Chronicles of Narnia, but nothing like it at all. There is a tragedy in it. A little girl dies in a big stream/wash/ canal, whatever you want to call it lol, just like the first of this book, and it made me think of this book.

But the thing i really wanted to share is, a young girl who is a friend of mine, 17 years old and still likes to hang out with me, which i love dearly lol, went with me to a nearby town for the day. We took a bunch of clothes I had (I lost a lot of weight last year YES, but not a lick since the first of this year but at least holding now) to a charity place for women and then we took two boxes of VHS tapes that I had recorded to dvd so they would keep and didnt need the VHS anymore but very good movies, to a homeless shelter that said they really would love to have some movies for their people there and dont have a lot. So anyway, we take these tapes inside and I had looked through them all at home again to be sure and I had let the 17 year old (Katelynn) look through them to see if there were any she wanted, and when I show the woman at the shelter these, she kinda looks through them and just smiles saying OH there are some really good ones here we will love having, thank you so much! Then, she just sticks her hand down in the corner of the box inside for no apparent reason and comes back up with a RING! She says, oh heres a ring in the box! I look and guys, man my heart lept. About 1 1/2 years ago, I lost a claddaugh ring that meant more to me than you can imagine because of who gave it to me and how. We have replaced it but my chest hurt for days after I lost that, i wanted that one so badly. I never found it. And now, even after I go through the boxes, Katelyn the girl goes through them, my neices had at christmas, no one had seen it and I dont know how it could have gotten in there anyway, HERE IT WAS when this woman just puts her hand down in there, straight to it. I told my young friend, this is a blessing for a blessing. We did something for someone else today and God did something for me that I had not expected. (Who gives anything like that with expectations of anything, you just do it cause it feels good to be able to and it fills someone else's need.) There were 5 people in the lobby there, that lived there and they gathered around to look at this little ring and I told them all about it, what it meant, how you wear it and that it was given to me by someone I love and havent seen for sometime. I told them what a blessing it was and they were so interested and thought it was so cool! I said this is a sign to me that one day, I will see this person again, no doubt, even if it takes a very long time, it will happen, cause i have my binding tie back and I didnt get it back, till I stopped thinking about me long enough to do something for someone else, that I had the power to do for over a year. Now, I may have just bored some of you, but that happens anyway LOL. But I loved it and I know its not a coincidence, with as many people as have looked in that box before today. :smileywink: Just a little sharing with ya of a most happy thing today lol. :smileyvery-happy:
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Now that is really awesome! Stories like that make me think that an angel was watching over you and helped you find it. Glad to hear your story. :smileywink:
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Does that mean there's hope for the many things I have lost? :smileywink:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Did I lose some threads or is there only one at the top highlighted in tan now, the one saying Welcome from your Moderator? Thats all I am showing and probably all those others were down below the line in white too, but i am not sure. So whats there now guys? thanks.
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
basia
0 Kudos

That's strange, I didn't remove any of the top posts, very weird. I'm floating them to the top again.

vivico1 wrote:
Did I lose some threads or is there only one at the top highlighted in tan now, the one saying Welcome from your Moderator? Thats all I am showing and probably all those others were down below the line in white too, but i am not sure. So whats there now guys? thanks.

Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

all the threads are here on my cpu. :smileywink:
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

but do you have the ones that were up at the top in tan? or just one up at the top, the one that is welcome from the moderator? thats what has changed on mine.
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

cindersue wrote:

but do you have the ones that were up at the top in tan? or just one up at the top, the one that is welcome from the moderator? thats what has changed on mine.

I have all the threads. The first one on my cpu here at home is never tan, it's white like the rest.

When I go online at work, the threads at the top are tan.

I have the message from Jessica, the editor, who opened this thread
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room/ any life out there???

OK, did the catastrophe that happened in the book THE ROAD, happen for real??? WHERE the heck is everyone?? Maybe I should start writing in here, dear diary, read this book today LOL! Cindersue,kiakar (if you can get on), wrighty....at this pace, you know how we all talked about wanting to do another harlan book? heck, we could pick one sometime, maybe if nothing is good in Aug and go to the big community room and start a thread in there just for us to discuss that book together, or anyone else who stumbles across it but at least we would be there LOL, not a bad idea actually. We could still do one of the suggested books of our chosing, whether alike or not, and then do one as a group of 4 thast we really want to do together hehe. hmm, the possibilities. IN THE MEAN TIME, sure would like some discussion on this book, anywhere in it, start, middle, end and I know there are more than 4 of us in here, 5 including leftbrainer, sorry nancy :smileyhappy:. OK I am bored, can you tell??? did everyone just move on? this has been a drier spell than most weekends, a longer one. Guess we need our mod and author back. hmm.
Vivian
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room/ first person vs 3rd person narration

hey guys, if 1st person is the one talking themself and third person is someone telling the story about someone else...................what is second person???? LOL, OK, I am bored. But really, ever hear of 2nd person? Why did we skip that person's perspective lol? :smileywink:
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: Community Room/ first person vs 3rd person narration

vivico1 wrote:
hey guys, if 1st person is the one talking themself and third person is someone telling the story about someone else...................what is second person???? LOL, OK, I am bored. But really, ever hear of 2nd person? Why did we skip that person's perspective lol? :smileywink:

hmmm ... Aryn? :smileysurprised:
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Miss me?

vivico1 wrote:
OK, did the catastrophe that happened in the book THE ROAD, happen for real??? WHERE the heck is everyone?? Maybe I should start writing in here, dear diary, read this book today LOL! Cindersue,kiakar (if you can get on), wrighty....at this pace, you know how we all talked about wanting to do another harlan book? heck, we could pick one sometime, maybe if nothing is good in Aug and go to the big community room and start a thread in there just for us to discuss that book together, or anyone else who stumbles across it but at least we would be there LOL, not a bad idea actually. We could still do one of the suggested books of our chosing, whether alike or not, and then do one as a group of 4 thast we really want to do together hehe. hmm, the possibilities. IN THE MEAN TIME, sure would like some discussion on this book, anywhere in it, start, middle, end and I know there are more than 4 of us in here, 5 including leftbrainer, sorry nancy :smileyhappy:. OK I am bored, can you tell??? did everyone just move on? this has been a drier spell than most weekends, a longer one. Guess we need our mod and author back. hmm.

I thought I'd pop in and see how you are doing without me. You all miss me don't you? :smileywink: :smileyhappy: :smileytongue: :smileyvery-happy:
I FINALLY got the book. I guess I'm a bit late but I plan on reading it anyway. I've been peeking at some of the posts but only a few of the early ones and anything that shouldn't contain a spoiler. I've missed everyone this month!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Miss me?

Wrighty wrote:

I thought I'd pop in and see how you are doing without me. You all miss me don't you? :smileywink: :smileyhappy: :smileytongue: :smileyvery-happy:
I FINALLY got the book. I guess I'm a bit late but I plan on reading it anyway. I've been peeking at some of the posts but only a few of the early ones and anything that shouldn't contain a spoiler. I've missed everyone this month!

we missed you too wrighty, now read LOL! :smileywink: Where's kiakar? I think she just came on once or twice on someone else's comp, hope hers is working soon lol.
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

Re: Miss me?

Glad to see you pop up! hehehe
I'm on a waiting list for Mangos and the Blind Book. Now I'm twiddling my thumbs. Guess I'll finish some other books while I wait. :smileywink: See you 'round. :smileywink:
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 918 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: