Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Early Chapters (no spoilers): Sheila Altman

[ Edited ]

Why are the Winstons "lucky to get Sheila Altman"? How does Alice regard her?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to events through Chapter 5. Some readers of this thread may not have finished the book. If you are referring to events
that occur after Chapter 5 please use "Spoiler Warning" in the subject line of your post. Thanks!

Message Edited by basia on 05-30-200710:29 AM

Message Edited by basia on 06-04-200704:12 PM

Frequent Contributor
LeftBrainer
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters: Sheila Altman

They need income to survive and keep the ranch and Sheila provides that. Joe is hoping she will bring more business. Alice regards her as a spoiled city girl who has no clue about how things really are. Sheila thinks the birth of a foal is beautiful, but Alice knows it is painful and possibly dangerous.
Frequent Contributor
basia
0 Kudos

I agree with you Leftbrainer. Besides needing the income from her lessons and boarding, I think that Joe's bigger hope is that if Sheila one day becomes a horseback riding champion, her fame will bring other people to train at the ranch. And that she'll have other rich friends who'll want to be like her and win, and thus train often and bring in money.

Do you think that Joe's right to think this way? What other kinds of things could Joe have done to bring in more business?
Also, what do you think of Sheila? I personally don't like her in the beginning, see her the same way Alice sees her: as useless and spoiled. But as the book continues, I begin to feel a bit sorry for her.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

basia wrote:
Why are the Winstons "lucky to get Sheila Altman"? How does Alice regard her?

and also basia wrote:

basia wrote:
I agree with you Leftbrainer. Besides needing the income from her lessons and boarding, I think that Joe's bigger hope is that if Sheila one day becomes a horseback riding champion, her fame will bring other people to train at the ranch. And that she'll have other rich friends who'll want to be like her and win, and thus train often and bring in money.

Do you think that Joe's right to think this way? What other kinds of things could Joe have done to bring in more business?
Also, what do you think of Sheila? I personally don't like her in the beginning, see her the same way Alice sees her: as useless and spoiled. But as the book continues, I begin to feel a bit sorry for her.

I think you pretty much answered your own first question on this thread here Basia and summed it up already too. So, guess I will just agree. Will just add, I will discuss my thoughts on Sheila past what you put here already, a bit later in the book, when we have read more.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
jenlaw77
0 Kudos

The family was lucky to get Sheila. Joe hoped that she would increase their income by inviting her friends and winning competitions, promoting the ranch.

By the end though, I think that Sheila was the lucky one. I also felt sorry for her by the end of the book.

Jenn
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

LeftBrainer wrote:
They need income to survive and keep the ranch and Sheila provides that. Joe is hoping she will bring more business. Alice regards her as a spoiled city girl who has no clue about how things really are. Sheila thinks the birth of a foal is beautiful, but Alice knows it is painful and possibly dangerous.

You know Birth is beautiful but Alice is not in a state of mind where she sees any beauty in anything only the work and danger in birthing horses. Alice's outlook is not at all good at this point in her life. With her mom, depressed, and her father being as reckless and careless with all their lives as he is, she only cares about survival.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters: Sheila Altman/possible spoiler through end of book

basia wrote:

Not much posting in last few days and sounds like most of the "few" who are posting are done or about done so I am going to put in some thoughts that might be spoilers. So if you are not done with the book, you may not want to read this.

Sheila never really seemed spoiled to me. Oh maybe some, because of what she was used to, but I mean in the sense that she was always willing to help around the ranch, cleaning along side Alice and taking good care of Yellow Cap. She seems like a good kid.

I kind of felt sorry for her from the beginning because in some ways she reminded me of Alice. For a "rich" kid who was paying to learn to ride and show horses, it just felt like she was there a lot and something lonely about her for one of the girls from the other side of town, in the summer. She never brought the friends Joe had hoped she would and I thought, Sheila doesnt have the friends Joe THINKS she does. Money does not always mean friends. I felt she missed her dad and so she latched onto Joe, for the same reasons that Alice would have liked to...attention from a father figure. This sometimes made Alice jealous because Joe didnt seem to "see" the need in her. But at the same time, Sheila was not afraid to show her adoration for him. She did tell Alice that she was her best friend and probably because Alice didnt put her down or tease her (tho she thought about it sometimes) the way that she finally tells Alice the girls she knows do and that she is alone at school. Alice comes to think differently about Sheila too.

SPOILER SPOILER!!
When Alice had her blow up with Sheila and told Sheila her dad was having an affair and everyone knew it and it just crushed Sheila, I had a couple of thoughts. One, I really kinda wondered if Sheila had known but as long as she didnt talk about it or speak about it, it didnt make it "real" and now Alice had made it real and all the pain came pouring out. Or, Sheila really didnt know and it was too much for her. I don't know, I am inclined to think the first because more kids know about their parents affairs than parents think. They just dont talk about it when they are very young, that makes it too real and something to have to deal with. After all, Alice never talked or dealt with what she saw happening with her father and Patty Jo. What do you guys think? Did Sheila know? She was a very sad girl after this and I felt so bad for her. Sheila does come back but I dont think the relationship with Alice, or for that fact maybe even Joe, will be the same. Alice, in the one act that she says even she feels is the worst thing she has ever done, took away some of Sheila's innocence and maybe trust. Not just trust in her dad, if she really didnt know, but trust in her "best friend" about things now that she may never share with her again.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Users Online
Currently online: 50 members 682 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: