Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
basia
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎03-20-2007
0 Kudos

Early Chapters (no spoilers): about The Catfish

[ Edited ]
What did you think of "The Catfish" - what Sheila's mom calls the boarders at the ranch. Patty Jo, Bitsy, and others. The women who are always laughing over their thermoses of wine, putting up silly signs about their allergic horses who only drink bottled water and need sawdust instead of hay, etc.

They made me laugh, first and foremost. They exemplified the rich and toned spoiled little wives from the grassy parts of town.
Sheila's mom said that they were the kind of women who only take from you. Do you think that's true? How was she different from them anyways, except for not socializing with them. Joe got money from them, so what (if anything) do you think they took away from him or Alice?

Message Edited by basia on 06-04-200704:09 PM

Message Edited by basia on 06-04-200704:11 PM

Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters (no spoilers): about The Catfish

I was trying to find where they were first called catfish and I think this is it on page 97, so thats my spoiler warning for one thing if your not there :smileywink: . I am trying to figure out one thing I dont quite get and thats why the name "catfish"? The quote right before it is, "She says women like that ask questions like they care about you, but really, they just want to swallow you up. They want to take everything that's yours.....She calls them catfish ." I don't quite get the analogy. I like to fish, havent in some time but hate catfish and never fished for them, I get maybe something about...swallow you up, like a catfish cause they have such huge mouths I think. Is it that simple? LOL, I may ask Aryn to check this post and tell me. Otherwise, I dont get the nickname-catfish, cause whats that got to do with caring about you or taking everything from you. Any thoughts on just that, that might help?

As for the question here... yes I think they represent the rich, spoiled people of this town who dont know what goes into taking care of things for them but you know, beyond that, they exemplify more than just the rich. They exemplify any of us that have people do things for us that we take for granted. Or the middle class who pay for something to be done and never have to think about the work it takes or care about it either. We can all be "catfish" in some ways, taking things or others for granted and what they do for granted. I think Sheila is different because there is something in Sheila that cares. You may think she spoils her daughter at first but then she seems so protective that you wonder why. What is going on in her life or has, that makes her so protective and maybe overly caring. She thinks about the horses more too than the other catfish. She says to watch for them because you know, she knows something from the inside of that selfsame group style, so she tries to distance herself some. Also, in this case, she may seem a bit different from them just simply too because she is the one woman there with a daughter there for a reason. Shes not just one of the girls there to hang out and drink and have fun, like a girls night out that goes on and on. What they got from Joe and Alice, besides someone to do the dirty work that comes with their little pasttime, is just entertainment. They are a bunch of women who like to sit around and drink and giggle and watch Joe.. easy cheap entertainment and thrills.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
basia
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎03-20-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters (no spoilers): about The Catfish

The way I read the analogy is that catfish are bottomfeeder fish - they swim slowly just above the bottom of the lake/sea and just eat anything that comes their way.
So I guess the way that they devour all the stuff in their way is supposed to represent the way the book Catfish "devour" people and things, acting like they own they world and its theirs for the taking.
I see you posted this question to Aryn, let's see what she replies.
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters (no spoilers): about The Catfish


basia wrote:
The way I read the analogy is that catfish are bottomfeeder fish - they swim slowly just above the bottom of the lake/sea and just eat anything that comes their way.
So I guess the way that they devour all the stuff in their way is supposed to represent the way the book Catfish "devour" people and things, acting like they own they world and its theirs for the taking.
I see you posted this question to Aryn, let's see what she replies.


What you say makes sense. If you dont know anything about catfish, that would have been a better explanation in the book lol. Yeah, we will see what she says. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
aryn
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎05-25-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters (no spoilers): about The Catfish

It’s a great question. And the honest truth is that I cannot take credit for coining the term. While I was in the early stages of writing the novel, I had a conversation with my aunt in which she referred to a type of woman who gossips as a “catfish.” It seemed so perfect, partly because the words “cat” and “fish” work very nicely together in describing a gossip. But mostly, the word gave such a visual of that ugly, whiskered, bottom-feeder. As soon as my aunt said the word, I thought, “that’s the kind of women the boarders are, rooting around for gossip.” Of course, in the end, I think they’re more than that. But I liked the idea that Mrs. Altman’s hackles would go up around them, that she would use a fairly impolite term to describe them, and that Sheila and Alice would adopt that term.

In a way, I think that Alice’s use of the term says more about her than it does about the boarders. Initially, she sees them as interchangeable, one rich woman is the same as any other rich woman. But as the novel progresses, and I don’t think I’m giving anything away here, that begins to change.

Thanks for the question!






vivico1 wrote:
I was trying to find where they were first called catfish and I think this is it on page 97, so thats my spoiler warning for one thing if your not there :smileywink: . I am trying to figure out one thing I dont quite get and thats why the name "catfish"? The quote right before it is, "She says women like that ask questions like they care about you, but really, they just want to swallow you up. They want to take everything that's yours.....She calls them catfish ." I don't quite get the analogy. I like to fish, havent in some time but hate catfish and never fished for them, I get maybe something about...swallow you up, like a catfish cause they have such huge mouths I think. Is it that simple? LOL, I may ask Aryn to check this post and tell me. Otherwise, I dont get the nickname-catfish, cause whats that got to do with caring about you or taking everything from you. Any thoughts on just that, that might help?

As for the question here... yes I think they represent the rich, spoiled people of this town who dont know what goes into taking care of things for them but you know, beyond that, they exemplify more than just the rich. They exemplify any of us that have people do things for us that we take for granted. Or the middle class who pay for something to be done and never have to think about the work it takes or care about it either. We can all be "catfish" in some ways, taking things or others for granted and what they do for granted. I think Sheila is different because there is something in Sheila that cares. You may think she spoils her daughter at first but then she seems so protective that you wonder why. What is going on in her life or has, that makes her so protective and maybe overly caring. She thinks about the horses more too than the other catfish. She says to watch for them because you know, she knows something from the inside of that selfsame group style, so she tries to distance herself some. Also, in this case, she may seem a bit different from them just simply too because she is the one woman there with a daughter there for a reason. Shes not just one of the girls there to hang out and drink and have fun, like a girls night out that goes on and on. What they got from Joe and Alice, besides someone to do the dirty work that comes with their little pasttime, is just entertainment. They are a bunch of women who like to sit around and drink and giggle and watch Joe.. easy cheap entertainment and thrills.


Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters (no spoilers): about The Catfish

[ Edited ]

aryn wrote:
...I had a conversation with my aunt in which she referred to a type of woman who gossips as a “catfish.” It seemed so perfect, partly because the words “cat” and “fish” work very nicely together in describing a gossip. ...

Thanks for the question!

Great question Viv. I agree with our mod and Aryn. Catfish are the slime eaters, gobbles everything up that's in their way. What a great name for gossipers! *-) I hadn't heard Aryn's aunt expression, but it does fit. I love all the sayings my parents said, and my friends down south ... oh man are those great expressions! :smileysurprised:

Message Edited by cindersue on 06-05-200704:02 PM

Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters (no spoilers): about The Catfish


cindersue wrote:

aryn wrote:
...I had a conversation with my aunt in which she referred to a type of woman who gossips as a “catfish.” It seemed so perfect, partly because the words “cat” and “fish” work very nicely together in describing a gossip. ...

Thanks for the question!

Great question Viv. I agree with our mod and Aryn. Catfish are the slime eaters, gobbles everything up that's in their way. What a great name for gossipers! *-) I hadn't heard Aryn's aunt expression, but it does fit. I love all the sayings my parents said, and my friends down south ... oh man are those great expressions! :smileysurprised:

Message Edited by cindersue on 06-05-200704:02 PM




Yep, I agree with you all. Like I said, I dont know a lot about catfish cause i dont like them. But thats another reason to call those women that too for me LOL, those women you dont like hehe. But your right, they are bottomfeeders, scooping up the sh&* on people LOL! Expressions from southern friends cindersue? lol like what? You can take that to the community thread if you have some you want to share, and we will keep it off this main thread lol. too funny.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters (no spoilers): about The Catfish


aryn wrote:
It’s a great question. And the honest truth is that I cannot take credit for coining the term. While I was in the early stages of writing the novel, I had a conversation with my aunt in which she referred to a type of woman who gossips as a “catfish.” It seemed so perfect, partly because the words “cat” and “fish” work very nicely together in describing a gossip. But mostly, the word gave such a visual of that ugly, whiskered, bottom-feeder. As soon as my aunt said the word, I thought, “that’s the kind of women the boarders are, rooting around for gossip.” Of course, in the end, I think they’re more than that. But I liked the idea that Mrs. Altman’s hackles would go up around them, that she would use a fairly impolite term to describe them, and that Sheila and Alice would adopt that term.

In a way, I think that Alice’s use of the term says more about her than it does about the boarders. Initially, she sees them as interchangeable, one rich woman is the same as any other rich woman. But as the novel progresses, and I don’t think I’m giving anything away here, that begins to change.

Thanks for the question!










Thanks Aryn, thats a good explanation but seeeee, a good little side note to the story for me, to know where you came up with that expression. I like that, :smileyhappy: thanks for sharing.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Early Chapters (no spoilers): about The Catfish



vivico1 wrote:
I was trying to find where they were first called catfish and I think this is it on page 97, so thats my spoiler warning for one thing if your not there :smileywink: . I am trying to figure out one thing I dont quite get and thats why the name "catfish"? The quote right before it is, "She says women like that ask questions like they care about you, but really, they just want to swallow you up. They want to take everything that's yours.....She calls them catfish ." I don't quite get the analogy. I like to fish, havent in some time but hate catfish and never fished for them, I get maybe something about...swallow you up, like a catfish cause they have such huge mouths I think. Is it that simple? LOL, I may ask Aryn to check this post and tell me. Otherwise, I dont get the nickname-catfish, cause whats that got to do with caring about you or taking everything from you. Any thoughts on just that, that might help?

As for the question here... yes I think they represent the rich, spoiled people of this town who dont know what goes into taking care of things for them but you know, beyond that, they exemplify more than just the rich. They exemplify any of us that have people do things for us that we take for granted. Or the middle class who pay for something to be done and never have to think about the work it takes or care about it either. We can all be "catfish" in some ways, taking things or others for granted and what they do for granted. I think Sheila is different because there is something in Sheila that cares. You may think she spoils her daughter at first but then she seems so protective that you wonder why. What is going on in her life or has, that makes her so protective and maybe overly caring. She thinks about the horses more too than the other catfish. She says to watch for them because you know, she knows something from the inside of that selfsame group style, so she tries to distance herself some. Also, in this case, she may seem a bit different from them just simply too because she is the one woman there with a daughter there for a reason. Shes not just one of the girls there to hang out and drink and have fun, like a girls night out that goes on and on. What they got from Joe and Alice, besides someone to do the dirty work that comes with their little pasttime, is just entertainment. They are a bunch of women who like to sit around and drink and giggle and watch Joe.. easy cheap entertainment and thrills.





Yes, somewhere in the book, it explains the meaning of catfish and why Alice's mom started calling them that. But I like the idea of the big mouth. Ha. I do not have my book so can't find it for you. ANd to me, the women were very bored. They didnt have enought to do and their other halfs were too busy making the bucks to care.
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 569 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: