Reply
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
Posts: 968
Registered: ‎09-24-2006
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group. And let us know what interests you about this book!

Frequent Contributor
LeftBrainer
Posts: 55
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi I'm about 3/4 finished with the book. I can hardly put it down to sleep or go to work. Its very good. I think the brainless dog comment is funny.

I grew up on a small cattle ranch in Nebraska where my family still use horses. Its been an interesting read so far. Talk more soon, Nancy
Frequent Contributor
basia
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎03-20-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi Nancy, welcome to the book group! That's so cool that you grew up on a ranch. I would love it if you could share anything about your life on the ranch, especially how it compared to the life depicted in The God of Animals.

Basia
the moderator




LeftBrainer wrote:
Hi I'm about 3/4 finished with the book. I can hardly put it down to sleep or go to work. Its very good. I think the brainless dog comment is funny.

I grew up on a small cattle ranch in Nebraska where my family still use horses. Its been an interesting read so far. Talk more soon, Nancy


Frequent Contributor
LeftBrainer
Posts: 55
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Compare my life on the ranch to Alice’s well I’ll try. I haven’t lived on the ranch for nearly 40 years, but my sister and brother-in-law still own it. I still help out occasionally although I live nearly 200 miles away. Recently, I helped my sister clean seed oats for planting on a Saturday afternoon. My sister’s four children all grown and gone from home, but they are expected to come home and work when needed.

We raised cattle not horses and we were and still are miles (probably 80) from suburbia. We had about 100 beef cows when I was growing up. There were also milk cows, chickens, and some hogs. The horses were cow ponies for use around the cows. The most we ever had was about four. I had a relationship with my horse Sandy when I was a teenager much as Nona does with Yellow, but without the stress of showing. I rode Sandy to move the cattle and spent a lot of time checking the “big pasture”. Checking the “big pasture” consisted of making sure the cattle had water, counting the cattle to see that none had gotten out of the fence or were ill, and checking the fence to see that it would keep the cattle in. I showed her in the 4-H horse show every year, but it was much more relaxed than the shows described in the book.

Our attitudes toward the cattle were and are much the same as the Winston’s toward the brood mares and the foals. They were livestock not pets. We cared for them because they were living beings which depended on us and had value, but we always knew they were to be sold eventually. I think one of the things that made this palatable is there were always going to be new baby calves every year. At a recent family reunion, it was agreed that those of us who no longer live on ranches miss the baby calves the most. Most of us said it was the only thing we missed. I miss the calves and the stars at night, it is much darker in the county so you see more stars.

The constant work Alice is engaged in was my experience. We came home from school and did “chores.” Chores were watering and feeding the animals, milking cows, and gathering eggs. Summers were spent in making hay, fixing fence, and other duties,including gardening and canning.

The apparent violence toward the animals (ie Darlings training and weaning the foals) is also part of life on the ranch. We brand, dehorn, and castrate the calves; It is neccessary for identification and the health of the herd.

Well I did go on didn't I and I didn't get into the economics of ranching.

Talk to you soon, Nancy
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi ... I holler from Illinois. My friend got me going with this book club. I love visiting her in OK, as she lives out in the country. I am enjoying this book club. She said I would like this book, and I do! I long for the country and believe perhaps I lived on a ranch in my past life. LOL I'm about half way done with the book and am trying to read at every available moment. I know something is about to happen, but am not sure what. It's been a good read so far! :smileywink:
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi, my name is Vivian, I am the okie mentioned on here LOL. I lived out in northern AZ and NM growing up and didnt live on a ranch but lived in the desert and had my own horse at about the same age as Alice did here. I even bought her myself. Unfortunately, while i was gone on a weeklong school trip, my mother sold the horse out from under me even tho I had already gotten attached. Couldnt get it back, or another one. I have always loved horses but never got to have another one. Though I live in what some consider the country now, I dont have enough property for one now and the town is growing out to meet me. Anyway, I am looking forward to discussing the book, and since I have finished it, I will do my best NOT to post anything that would be spoilers to those of you that have just started. We have all month to talk after all and no one likes to have their book spoiled :smileywink:. Good to see you Cindersue. :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
jenlaw77
Posts: 8
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi,
My name is Jenn. I live in northern VA, about 20 minutes outside of DC. I was introduced to this book as a member of Simon and Schuster's Advisory Board. I'm about 30 or so pages in right now, but I love it already. I look forward to discussing this with everyone!

Jenn
New User
NorthShoreGirl
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎05-30-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi! I am new to the book club and excited to be here! I live just outside of Two Harbors MN, which is north of Duluth. For those of you who aren't familar with MN, Duluth is on Lake Superior. I live in the country on 10 acres of land. Most of my land is wooded, however, I understand that this used to be a beef farm. Sometimes when I am digging in my garden I swear I can smell cows! :smileyhappy:

I chose this book because I have always wished that I had grown up on a farm... or lived on one now. My grandparents had a farm when I was little that I loved to visit. He had horses, cows, geese, and chickens. Many of my happiest memories are from that farm.

I am about 2 chapters in the book and am loving it!
New User
crackerjax
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎06-01-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi,

My name is Jackie and I live outside NYC. I am a writer, a writer of fiction and a reader of fiction. This book jumped out at me in particular because I have always wanted to read something other than the struggles and turbulence of living inside the city, but instead the trials of living outside the city. As far as I can tell, I will be reading one of the best and most riveting examples. :smileyhappy:

As a writer I was curious about young female writers and what they are doing, as I am in the same boat (though years behind).

Hi everyone! Look forward to many fun book discussions!

-Jackie
Frequent Contributor
basia
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎03-20-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi there Nancy, thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like a lot of back breaking work, but I can imagine it being more rewarding than many other jobs: the stars, being outside, the calves and foals. And more heartbreaking too. I think you have to have very strong constitution for that kind of a life. The chapter about the foals, for example, made me cry. I don't think I would have been able to endure that in real life (I'd probably end up like Alice's mother!).
Author
aryn
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎05-25-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for taking the time to introduce yourselves. Between the writers and the ranchers we should have a lot to talk about.

I'm here in Missoula, Montana, where the weather just turned perfect (yea!). The university finished up its spring semester last week, and the whole town has shifted into summer mode, which pleases me to no end. Everyone is very relaxed, riding bikes around, grilling burgers, etc. It's almost enough to make one forget the dismal cold and gray of winter :smileyhappy:

Anyway, I've really enjoyed reading your introductions and I can't wait to discuss the book further with you. There are a few of you who have either had personal experience with the ranch lifestyle or have been drawn to it, which is interesting because many of the characters in the book fall into one of those categories. Personally, I was always the latter: fascinated by ranch life but with pretty limited experience. It should make for good discussion.

Thanks again, everyone, for reading the book and for participating this month!

Aryn
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself


aryn wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for taking the time to introduce yourselves. Between the writers and the ranchers we should have a lot to talk about.

I'm here in Missoula, Montana, where the weather just turned perfect (yea!). The university finished up its spring semester last week, and the whole town has shifted into summer mode, which pleases me to no end. Everyone is very relaxed, riding bikes around, grilling burgers, etc. It's almost enough to make one forget the dismal cold and gray of winter :smileyhappy:

Anyway, I've really enjoyed reading your introductions and I can't wait to discuss the book further with you. There are a few of you who have either had personal experience with the ranch lifestyle or have been drawn to it, which is interesting because many of the characters in the book fall into one of those categories. Personally, I was always the latter: fascinated by ranch life but with pretty limited experience. It should make for good discussion.

Thanks again, everyone, for reading the book and for participating this month!

Aryn


Aryn,
there should be plenty more checking in monday because before, it said this club started on the 4th. So some are getting books, some dont know this board is open yet either maybe. I am glad you check in often, thats so refreshing from the author :smileyhappy:. I worry about talking too much about the book as a whole yet, or the last half of the book. Sure dont want to put spoilers on here (spoil everyone's read who isnt there yet). Hopefully everyone will be sure to watch where they post what on each thread. Ty again for coming, looking forward to it.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Hi, I'm from NY state and I grew up on a farm. We only had horses for a few years and it broke my heart when we sold them. I always wanted more. I haven't received my copy of the book yet and I'm very anxious to get started. Everyone will leave me in their dust! Even if I don't get it in the next couple of days I'll still follow along for the early chapters. I really enjoy the author participation and I hate to miss out on all of the interesting questions. It's great to see this is taking off already.

~Debbie
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself


Wrighty wrote:
Hi, I'm from NY state and I grew up on a farm. We only had horses ... I really enjoy the author participation and I hate to miss out on all of the interesting questions. It's great to see this is taking off already.

~Debbie




Hey Debbie! Good to see you and Viv in here. Where's Kikar? LOL I'm half way done, but have to finish by Thursday. I don't know where a Barnes and Noble is around here, so I have the one and only copy from the library. It's a "hot" book, so I only have it for two weeks. :smileywink:
Frequent Contributor
LeftBrainer
Posts: 55
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

I'm a long ways from a Barnes and Noble too. I order my books on-line. They get here in about three days. Nancy
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself



LeftBrainer wrote:
I'm a long ways from a Barnes and Noble too. I order my books on-line. They get here in about three days. Nancy




I may end up doing that, Nancy. Thanks! I end up passing my books around and then donating them to the library. Everyone can enjoy. :smileywink:
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself


cindersue wrote:

Hey Debbie! Good to see you and Viv in here. Where's Kikar? LOL I'm half way done, but have to finish by Thursday. I don't know where a Barnes and Noble is around here, so I have the one and only copy from the library. It's a "hot" book, so I only have it for two weeks. :smileywink:




Hi cindersue! It's great to "see" you again. :smileytongue: It's so much fun to have friends around. I have the same library problem too. I buy as many as I can but funds are low. I'm next on the list so the person who has it better speed it up! I'm going to miss all of the good stuff.
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself


Wrighty wrote:

cindersue wrote:

Hey Debbie! Good to see you and Viv in here. Where's Kikar? LOL I'm half way done, but have to finish by Thursday. I don't know where a Barnes and Noble is around here, so I have the one and only copy from the library. It's a "hot" book, so I only have it for two weeks. :smileywink:




Hi cindersue! It's great to "see" you again. :smileytongue: It's so much fun to have friends around. I have the same library problem too. I buy as many as I can but funds are low. I'm next on the list so the person who has it better speed it up! I'm going to miss all of the good stuff.


Hi guys,
I am afraid to answer too many questions yet,they are a bit broad and hard to answer without going deeper into the book or all of the book and I dont want to spoil any of it for you guys, so I am waiting a bit before I post. Maybe a little monday or something, or i will get antzy and say something tomorrow that you guys will say GEE THANKS VIV! rofl, i will try not to do that tho :smileywink: Hang in there getting your books, we will be around a month, even tho the last two we were all in fizzled out in two weeks didnt they.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself


vivico1 wrote:
Hi guys,
I am afraid to answer too many questions yet,they are a bit broad and hard to answer without going deeper into the book or all of the book and I dont want to spoil any of it for you guys, so I am waiting a bit before I post. Maybe a little monday or something, or i will get antzy and say something tomorrow that you guys will say GEE THANKS VIV! rofl, i will try not to do that tho :smileywink: Hang in there getting your books, we will be around a month, even tho the last two we were all in fizzled out in two weeks didnt they.




No worries Viv, go ahead and write. I'm going to lurk around here in the topics that look safe and hope I get my book soon. If I see a spoiler I'll close my eyes real fast! :smileysurprised: I'll just take my chances because I still want to visit.
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself


Wrighty wrote:



No worries Viv, go ahead and write. I'm going to lurk around here in the topics that look safe and hope I get my book soon. If I see a spoiler I'll close my eyes real fast! :smileysurprised: I'll just take my chances because I still want to visit.


Well if I think its a spoiler, i will write it on my subject heading so you will know and i will put for what chapters if i remember. If I start a new thread, like the one i did, i will be more specific and still be careful of spoilers ok? :smileyhappy: I am really interested in everyones view on the thread i did start about student/teacher lines.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Users Online
Currently online:14 members 411 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: