Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

JERRY: NONA'S COWBOY

Any thoughts on Jerry? Did your oppinion change from what you first heard about him, to what you learned about him once you met him? I will wait this time and see what you guys say first lol. I already put my thoughts on threads I have started before but not too much reply back, so i leave this one to you first. Maybe no thoughts, but I find him interesting. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
LeftBrainer
0 Kudos

Re: JERRY: NONA'S COWBOY

At first I thought he was a predator, talking a high school girl into running away with him. I started to change my mind after he married Nona. After he and Nona return to the ranch, I changed my mind. He takes over caring for the animals and training the colt. He seems to be the only one who realizes Alice has some worth. He is the only one who understands what Alice needs to do to show Darling.
Frequent Contributor
basia
0 Kudos

What did you all think of his Elvis obsession? To me, it kind of humanized him, made him more interesting.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

basia wrote:
What did you all think of his Elvis obsession? To me, it kind of humanized him, made him more interesting.

made me think of all the cowboys I really did know once. They all liked Elvis lol. :smileywink: Even the young ones after Elvis was gone.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
Any thoughts on Jerry? Did your oppinion change from what you first heard about him, to what you learned about him once you met him? I will wait this time and see what you guys say first lol. I already put my thoughts on threads I have started before but not too much reply back, so i leave this one to you first. Maybe no thoughts, but I find him interesting. :smileywink:

It sounds like Jerry is deep; I love the fact , he is not lazy to be a young person. Even though he hasn't made a good living, he works hard. He has passion in every thing he does. You have to want alot for this character for the effort he makes. I loved when Aryn made him one of the central characters inthe story. He was so interesting to get to know.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

basia wrote:

You are so right,basia:
Yes,because we all need to have an obsession especially with Elvis! hehehe
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

basia wrote:

made me think of all the cowboys I really did know once. They all liked Elvis lol. :smileywink: Even the young ones after Elvis was gone.

Vivico; to me I didnt relate this to a western movie but to the present life in a western state. I visited Colorado last year and went to a couple of working ranches and really enjoyed it. To me, though, Jerry wasn't a typical cowboy, not my idea of one anyway. He was mainly "Just a good old boy that hasnt found his way or maybe lost his way along the way."
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

basia wrote:

Vivico; to me I didnt relate this to a western movie but to the present life in a western state. I visited Colorado last year and went to a couple of working ranches and really enjoyed it. To me, though, Jerry wasn't a typical cowboy, not my idea of one anyway. He was mainly "Just a good old boy that hasnt found his way or maybe lost his way along the way."

mmm. No, i wasn't saying this made it a western to me here, or anywhere actually. I was saying the obsession about Elvis made me think of the cowboys in my life I have known, they were all obsessed with him lol.
Vivian
Contributor
AnnMar
0 Kudos

I really liked this character. He seemed to be the most grounded one of the bunch. I liked the way he stepped up to the plate and got things done around the ranch without being asked. I liked his devotion to Nona. And, I really loved how he related to the horses. There was no brutality in his training of King.

Ann
Author
aryn
0 Kudos

I agree with you, AnnMar. Even though Jerry was largely a mystery--no one knows much about his past, etc.--I always saw him as one of the most grounded characters. In many ways, he is one of the only characters in the book who really behaves like a "grownup." He takes responsibility in times when others fall away from it.

Like so many of the other characters, Jerry gives Alice a glimpse at a different angle of life. But whereas characters like Sheila and Patty and Mr. Delmar begin to give Alice an idea of what life might be if she didn't live on a ranch, I think that Jerry gives Alice an idea of what life might be if she didn't live on this particular ranch. At the beginning of the book, I'm not sure that Alice gives much thought to her father's methods of horse training. They're the only methods she's ever seen, after all, and so she doesn't have any reason to question that there might be a different way to handle things. So much of Joe's approach involves breaking the horse down, asserting his authority over it. But Jerry approaches King from a place of equal footing. Rather than try to dominate the horse, I think he tries to build trust between himself and the animal.

Anyway, I'm glad that you liked Jerry. He's one of my favorite characters. I think he largely behaves with a great deal of dignity and compassion.

Thanks for the comment!

AnnMar wrote:
I really liked this character. He seemed to be the most grounded one of the bunch. I liked the way he stepped up to the plate and got things done around the ranch without being asked. I liked his devotion to Nona. And, I really loved how he related to the horses. There was no brutality in his training of King.

Ann

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

aryn wrote:
I agree with you, AnnMar. Even though Jerry was largely a mystery--no one knows much about his past, etc.--I always saw him as one of the most grounded characters. In many ways, he is one of the only characters in the book who really behaves like a "grownup." He takes responsibility in times when others fall away from it.

Like so many of the other characters, Jerry gives Alice a glimpse at a different angle of life. But whereas characters like Sheila and Patty and Mr. Delmar begin to give Alice an idea of what life might be if she didn't live on a ranch, I think that Jerry gives Alice an idea of what life might be if she didn't live on this particular ranch. At the beginning of the book, I'm not sure that Alice gives much thought to her father's methods of horse training. They're the only methods she's ever seen, after all, and so she doesn't have any reason to question that there might be a different way to handle things. So much of Joe's approach involves breaking the horse down, asserting his authority over it. But Jerry approaches King from a place of equal footing. Rather than try to dominate the horse, I think he tries to build trust between himself and the animal.

Anyway, I'm glad that you liked Jerry. He's one of my favorite characters. I think he largely behaves with a great deal of dignity and compassion.

Thanks for the comment!

AnnMar wrote:

Ann

I agree with you guys. I think Jerry is one of the most interesting of the characters and tho young, one of the most responsible too. He is a good observer too, not only of horses but of people. He turned out to be much more than just "the rodeo cowboy" who ran off with Nona and raise hell around the country. He is one of the most likeable characters and thats why I started this thread about just him, was to see what everyone thought about him. I think thats why he is one of the most mentioned on the thread about who has the best attitude too. He is just a good ole boy :smileywink: with a natural caring way about him, and from what it sounds like goes on with Nona every night, a good strong libido too lol! :smileywink:
Vivian
Users Online
Currently online: 13 members 213 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: