Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
Posts: 968
Registered: ‎09-24-2006
0 Kudos

Questions for Aryn Kyle

Do you have a question for Aryn, not related to any of the discussion topics? Reply to this message to start the conversation.
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Aryn Kyle

I do have some questions, if Aryn wants to answer. If you don't feel comfortable, you don't have to. I was reading your write up and saw you are from Illinois. I'm from a nw suburb. Have lived here all my life. But, I have much interest in Montana. My dad was raised in Evanston, but his mother lived on a ranch in Adel, MT, since the age of 12. She made many friends with the Blackfeet Indians. I have skins, photo's, carving, paintings from the Blackfeet Indians, which were given to my family as gifts of friendship. The Indian that posed on the nickel was supposedly a Blackfoot Indian and family friend. A lot of family history in Missoula, Helena, Glacier Park, etc. I am dying to visit the area and meet with the council. My sons best friend finished his freshman year in Missoula, and just loves it out there. My son hopes to go there too.

So, being from IL, how hard was the adjustment? How did you like the school? You must have liked the area, as you stayed there. My grandmother was 12 when she came to Adel, was from CT. She learned to ride the buckboards, shoot rattle snakes and had a pet bobcat. She adjusted ... and I think I would too! :smileywink: I'm excited about your book and can't wait to finish reading it. :smileyhappy:

p.s. I hope I put these thoughts in the right thread :smileywink:
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Aryn Kyle

Aryn,
On the thread "early chapters, the catfish", is a question about them but I wanted to ask you about why the nickname catfish, I dont quite get it, even from the quote from Sheila's mom right before it. I dont get the analogy. Without rewriting the whole question I had here, could you look on that thread at what I ask and wrote and help me out with the nickname without giving away anything in the second half of the book, if part of it has to do with something there? I would appreciate it and you will see what I am trying to say there. Thanks so much :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Aryn Kyle

Aryn, one question I had too that I thought might be addressed and never was,has to do with Alice's "invisibility". She felt invisible to most people I think,including her dad. He never noticed her need for new clothes,how she was slouching to try to make them look like they fit. This is in the book quite a bit and you really feel for Alice, which made me think too about the fact that Alice was 12-13 years old and about this time, probably starting her period. This can be quite a transition time for a girl and she doesn't have a mom to talk to about it, or dad. I really expected this to be addressed somewhere. I thought wow, if he cant even see she doesn't fit her clothes, what's going to happen when she starts her period? I thought it would have played so well into that loneliness of facing growing up nearly alone and having to take care of yourself, aspect of the book. I could see it as one of the things that maybe Patty Jo or Sheila's mom gets involved with helping her with some, one of those moments where Alice lets a grown woman do something with her and be glad about it, even if she didn't want to admit it, like some of the other things she did. Or considering how she had to take care of herself mostly anyway, I could see it as her starting her period, thinking about telling her mother but then not because she withdraws from real talk with her mom anyway, but maybe taking one of whatever her mom's uses, then not telling her father she started because..."what would he do anyway, he doesn't need to think about this too and would just stare at me embarrassed or ask one of the catfish to talk to me and embarrass me then" kind of thing. (My words in parentheses for Alice's thoughts there LOL :smileywink: and then just asking dad for some money with one of her "little lies" for a reason and going and getting some things for herself and thinking, thats all there is to it, nothing that means anything to anyone, just something I better take care of. This part of a girl that age growing up would play so well into what she is living that I was surprised it was never mentioned. Any reason you didn't? Thanks.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
aryn
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎05-25-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Aryn Kyle

Hi Cindersue,

I'm sorry to admit that my Montana experience has been pretty tame compared to your grandmother's. How fabulous that she had a pet bobcat! (I have a calico)

I actually grew up in Colorado--my family moved from Illinois when I was five--so living in Montana doesn't feel like that big of a change. Also, I’m not much of an outdoor adventurer, which means that my encounters with the wild west are few and far between—I was once chased by a moose, but the moose wasn’t that invested and the whole story turned out to be pretty anticlimactic.

As far as the shift from Midwest to West, I don’t know much about it. I was so young when my family moved. Basically, I was raised in the West by a bunch of Midwesterners, so I’m kind of a hybrid, as many people these days are. In a way, it might be similar to being the child of immigrants: you grow up in one place, but your family’s stories about “home” all take place somewhere else. This doesn’t seem too uncommon in the West; almost everyone you meet comes from someplace else. Maybe that’s why I was interested in telling a story about the other side, a family whose roots are fairly deep in a particular place and who are watching that place change.

I definitely encourage you to visit Montana. It’s indescribably beautiful. And if you’re planning a trip Missoula-way, it is my opinion that Missoula is at its most charming in the fall. Although it wears spring and summer petty nicely too.





cindersue wrote:
I do have some questions, if Aryn wants to answer. If you don't feel comfortable, you don't have to. I was reading your write up and saw you are from Illinois. I'm from a nw suburb. Have lived here all my life. But, I have much interest in Montana. My dad was raised in Evanston, but his mother lived on a ranch in Adel, MT, since the age of 12. She made many friends with the Blackfeet Indians. I have skins, photo's, carving, paintings from the Blackfeet Indians, which were given to my family as gifts of friendship. The Indian that posed on the nickel was supposedly a Blackfoot Indian and family friend. A lot of family history in Missoula, Helena, Glacier Park, etc. I am dying to visit the area and meet with the council. My sons best friend finished his freshman year in Missoula, and just loves it out there. My son hopes to go there too.

So, being from IL, how hard was the adjustment? How did you like the school? You must have liked the area, as you stayed there. My grandmother was 12 when she came to Adel, was from CT. She learned to ride the buckboards, shoot rattle snakes and had a pet bobcat. She adjusted ... and I think I would too! :smileywink: I'm excited about your book and can't wait to finish reading it. :smileyhappy:

p.s. I hope I put these thoughts in the right thread :smileywink:


Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Aryn Kyle


aryn wrote:
Hi Cindersue,

I'm sorry to admit that my Montana experience has been pretty tame compared to your grandmother's. How fabulous that she had a pet bobcat! (I have a calico) ....



Thanks for answering my questions. I also noticed you mentioned Michigan. I have a daughter up in the UP, at Marquette, Mich. She was interested in Indian studies for a while. She found that the native Americans up there are very prejudice of the "white" people. Do you find that in Montana?

I'm very eager to come visit. Missoula would definitely be one of the stops. I love the movie "Legend of the Falls," and imagine that that could be my grandma's ranch. I highly doubt that, tho. The black and white pics I have may be from there, but it looks much smaller. LOL I do have a lantern that was converted to electricity that my dad thinks was on the ranch. I can hardly wait to make a road trip out there. I know I will love it! :smileyhappy:
Author
aryn
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎05-25-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Aryn Kyle

Hi Vivico1,

While I’m writing, I kind of pick and choose which moments in a character’s life I’m going to focus on. It would be impossible to capture them all. As far as Alice’s experiences go, I was interested largely in the moments when she was the most vulnerable and the moments when she was the most powerful. Alice has a pretty advanced understanding of the basic mechanics of life: between the horse ranch and Nona, I don’t think there’s much mystery about the birds and the bees. Although she’s getting older and her body is clearly changing, I was much more interested in what was happing inside her head.

I suppose the easy answer is that I try to write about characters in the places that I see them most clearly. I’m not sure why some moments seem more important than others. But to me, Alice’s vulnerabilities came less out of inexperience with nature and more out of inexperience with people.

Thanks for a great question!






vivico1 wrote:
Aryn,
On the thread "early chapters, the catfish", is a question about them but I wanted to ask you about why the nickname catfish, I dont quite get it, even from the quote from Sheila's mom right before it. I dont get the analogy. Without rewriting the whole question I had here, could you look on that thread at what I ask and wrote and help me out with the nickname without giving away anything in the second half of the book, if part of it has to do with something there? I would appreciate it and you will see what I am trying to say there. Thanks so much :smileyhappy:


Author
aryn
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎05-25-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Aryn Kyle

Hi Vivico1,

I just realized that I quoted the wrong post in the message above (still figuring out what I'm doing, I guess). Anyway, my answer above is in response to your question below. Sorry if that was confusing. :smileyhappy:




vivico1 wrote:
Aryn, one question I had too that I thought might be addressed and never was,has to do with Alice's "invisibility". She felt invisible to most people I think,including her dad. He never noticed her need for new clothes,how she was slouching to try to make them look like they fit. This is in the book quite a bit and you really feel for Alice, which made me think too about the fact that Alice was 12-13 years old and about this time, probably starting her period. This can be quite a transition time for a girl and she doesn't have a mom to talk to about it, or dad. I really expected this to be addressed somewhere. I thought wow, if he cant even see she doesn't fit her clothes, what's going to happen when she starts her period? I thought it would have played so well into that loneliness of facing growing up nearly alone and having to take care of yourself, aspect of the book. I could see it as one of the things that maybe Patty Jo or Sheila's mom gets involved with helping her with some, one of those moments where Alice lets a grown woman do something with her and be glad about it, even if she didn't want to admit it, like some of the other things she did. Or considering how she had to take care of herself mostly anyway, I could see it as her starting her period, thinking about telling her mother but then not because she withdraws from real talk with her mom anyway, but maybe taking one of whatever her mom's uses, then not telling her father she started because..."what would he do anyway, he doesn't need to think about this too and would just stare at me embarrassed or ask one of the catfish to talk to me and embarrass me then" kind of thing. (My words in parentheses for Alice's thoughts there LOL :smileywink: and then just asking dad for some money with one of her "little lies" for a reason and going and getting some things for herself and thinking, thats all there is to it, nothing that means anything to anyone, just something I better take care of. This part of a girl that age growing up would play so well into what she is living that I was surprised it was never mentioned. Any reason you didn't? Thanks.


Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Aryn Kyle

No problem Aryn, I knew which question you were talking about, thanks tho for caring to check back tho. :smileywink:
_________________________________________________________________________________

Aryn wrote:

Hi Vivico1,

I just realized that I quoted the wrong post in the message above (still figuring out what I'm doing, I guess). Anyway, my answer above is in response to your question below. Sorry if that was confusing.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Aryn Kyle/the dream

Aryn, I see some have looked at the thread about Alice's dream but no one has wanted to comment. Could you comment a little about her dream? Was the water tied to Polly's death in some way or just the feeling of being overwhelmed that later eases some? I see them as maybe being symbolic of both. thanks :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Aryn Kyle/narration

Aryn, as you may have read on the thread about narrator, I love 1st person narration. It really puts you in a position to see and feel all that is going on with the protagonist. Reading just a few pages of your book is what drew me too it :smileywink:. I did mention on that thread tho, that there were a couple of times that her 12 year old voice seems to get lost to an older one explaining some things and it made for a bit of a stumble in story for a moment, kinda stepped out of her and then back. It didnt take away from the story (or I could tell you exactly where now huh lol) but it momentarily took me out of the story and back to the reality of reading a book. I dont know if any of that makes sense but anyway, did you find it hard writing 1st person narration for a 12 year old and keep her that way? I don't mean that as a criticism but as a question to a writer, especially on her first big outing. I find styles very interesting and you dont always have an author to ask such things of lol.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Aryn Kyle/ Alice and Mr Delmar END OF BOOK SPOILER WARNING

ok, Aryn,lol, we are at least two full weeks into the discussions now and many are through but I am going to ask this here so those who are not through will know this could be a spoiler about Alice and Mr. Delmar.

As you noticed on the thread about them, people have used words like, spooky, inappropriate, disturbing, beyond safe zone and causing anxiety. Also someone said something that was about suspense and I thought, thats true. All of these things apply and of all the things that happen in the book, including Polly's death in general, this area of the story is the suspenseful one. This is the one that makes you feel all of the above and wonder what is going to happen and what has he done or will he do. Did he have anything to do with Polly's death or was it just a coincidence type of thing too. He could have been directly the cause of her death, or what if she had met him and something he did or said made her not pay attention to what she was doing along the canal and fall in. What was their relationship and what the heck is he doing with Alice??? This guy is disturbing. This guy bothers us all on a basic level about kids. Even if he is depressed over a lost love and drinks into oblivion, what is he doing with these young girls? You found this thread interesting but didnt want to comment there before people had a chance to discuss it or get it all read. Ok, how about here now lol. We have the spoiler warning, so what did you have to tell us that you couldnt then pleaseeee! lol :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Aryn Kyle/ the mirror and a typo

Aryn,
I just wanted to say, I liked the part on page 197 where Alice is looking at herself in the mirror, saying, this is how i look when I am reaching, this is how i look when i am sitting, etc. She really pays attention and I thought, how interesting to think this. We do that sometimes when we are trying on clothes to see how it looks, but you get the feel, its not so much how the clothes look in those positions, its just how she looks doing things. I thoughtt, why not notice these things about yourself, no one else seems to be. Another sign of her loneliness to me.

Oh hey, FYI...did you know that on pages 170 and 171 they misspell tails twice..swishing their tales, then they spell it right once on the same page? Just an fyi for your books next printing, as I am sure there will be :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
aryn
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎05-25-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Aryn Kyle/narration

Hi Vivico,

I'm glad that you liked the first person narration. One of the things that I love about first person is the opportunity to view the world through a particular character's eyes. You're right on to pick up on moments when the voice distances. Although Alice is twelve during the events of the book, the narrator is telling the story as an adult, which comes through at times, particularly in the last chapter. Although adult Alice does not interfere much with twelve-year-old Alice's story (no "What I didn't understand at the time..." type moments), she is definitely the one telling it. Something else I love about first person--you're not just telling a story, you're letting one of your characters tell a story. What they choose to include, what they choose to omit, how they remember certain events, how they explain others, all contribute to the make-up of that particular character. And though she never explicitly says so, the narrator of the story is in a very different place in her life than she was during the year she's recounting. If that makes sense.

Thanks for the question!







vivico1 wrote:
Aryn, as you may have read on the thread about narrator, I love 1st person narration. It really puts you in a position to see and feel all that is going on with the protagonist. Reading just a few pages of your book is what drew me too it :smileywink:. I did mention on that thread tho, that there were a couple of times that her 12 year old voice seems to get lost to an older one explaining some things and it made for a bit of a stumble in story for a moment, kinda stepped out of her and then back. It didnt take away from the story (or I could tell you exactly where now huh lol) but it momentarily took me out of the story and back to the reality of reading a book. I dont know if any of that makes sense but anyway, did you find it hard writing 1st person narration for a 12 year old and keep her that way? I don't mean that as a criticism but as a question to a writer, especially on her first big outing. I find styles very interesting and you dont always have an author to ask such things of lol.


Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Aryn Kyle/narration


aryn wrote:
Hi Vivico,

I'm glad that you liked the first person narration. One of the things that I love about first person is the opportunity to view the world through a particular character's eyes. You're right on to pick up on moments when the voice distances. Although Alice is twelve during the events of the book, the narrator is telling the story as an adult, which comes through at times, particularly in the last chapter. Although adult Alice does not interfere much with twelve-year-old Alice's story (no "What I didn't understand at the time..." type moments), she is definitely the one telling it. Something else I love about first person--you're not just telling a story, you're letting one of your characters tell a story. What they choose to include, what they choose to omit, how they remember certain events, how they explain others, all contribute to the make-up of that particular character. And though she never explicitly says so, the narrator of the story is in a very different place in her life than she was during the year she's recounting. If that makes sense.

Thanks for the question!







vivico1 wrote:
Aryn, as you may have read on the thread about narrator, I love 1st person narration. It really puts you in a position to see and feel all that is going on with the protagonist. Reading just a few pages of your book is what drew me too it :smileywink:. I did mention on that thread tho, that there were a couple of times that her 12 year old voice seems to get lost to an older one explaining some things and it made for a bit of a stumble in story for a moment, kinda stepped out of her and then back. It didnt take away from the story (or I could tell you exactly where now huh lol) but it momentarily took me out of the story and back to the reality of reading a book. I dont know if any of that makes sense but anyway, did you find it hard writing 1st person narration for a 12 year old and keep her that way? I don't mean that as a criticism but as a question to a writer, especially on her first big outing. I find styles very interesting and you dont always have an author to ask such things of lol.





Thanks Aryn very much, I knew she was a adult at the end but I guess I didn't realize the first part was her recounting of her younger days. That would explain why a couple of times earlier in the book when you think she is only 12 (not knowing the adult at the end) that she sounded older than she should have. Sometimes as adults we remember our exact thoughts and what we said when we were young, other times we remember them but may add our adult voice and knowledge to them. I appreciate your answering :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Aryn Kyle/ Alice and Mr Delmar END OF BOOK SPOILER WARNING


vivico1 wrote:
ok, Aryn,lol, we are at least two full weeks into the discussions now and many are through but I am going to ask this here so those who are not through will know this could be a spoiler about Alice and Mr. Delmar.

As you noticed on the thread about them, people have used words like, spooky, inappropriate, disturbing, beyond safe zone and causing anxiety. Also someone said something that was about suspense and I thought, thats true. All of these things apply and of all the things that happen in the book, including Polly's death in general, this area of the story is the suspenseful one. This is the one that makes you feel all of the above and wonder what is going to happen and what has he done or will he do. Did he have anything to do with Polly's death or was it just a coincidence type of thing too. He could have been directly the cause of her death, or what if she had met him and something he did or said made her not pay attention to what she was doing along the canal and fall in. What was their relationship and what the heck is he doing with Alice??? This guy is disturbing. This guy bothers us all on a basic level about kids. Even if he is depressed over a lost love and drinks into oblivion, what is he doing with these young girls? You found this thread interesting but didnt want to comment there before people had a chance to discuss it or get it all read. Ok, how about here now lol. We have the spoiler warning, so what did you have to tell us that you couldnt then pleaseeee! lol :smileywink:


I am going to put a last thought here about Mr Delmar, while we wait for you to tell us what you said you wanted to discuss once we were further along Aryn :smileywink:. I still think all of the things I posted on this question above and that his relationships with these girls were totally inappropriate. I had one last thought too, rereading a bit. He appears to be an alcoholic. I wonder if his drinking problem came because of him losing his Big Love of his life, or if he lost the love of his life because of his drinking? Was there a correlation there? And how about some of the questions posted above? Can't wait to hear your further remarks on him Aryn.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Aryn Kyle

Aryn,
Any final thoughts before friday? I know you didn't get the biggest discussion group in here so may be a bit disappointing for you as it was for some of us. It was interesting reading an author's first book and thank you again for hanging around with us. Now's your time to share anything you wanted to with us about the book or comments we made if you would like. Also, are you working on another book now? If so, what is it about? Good luck in the future and don't leave without saying goodbye to us :smileywink:. Vivian
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Aryn Kyle



vivico1 wrote:
Aryn,
Any final thoughts before friday? I know you didn't get the biggest discussion group in here so may be a bit disappointing for you as it was for some of us. It was interesting reading an author's first book and thank you again for hanging around with us. Now's your time to share anything you wanted to with us about the book or comments we made if you would like. Also, are you working on another book now? If so, what is it about? Good luck in the future and don't leave without saying goodbye to us :smileywink:. Vivian




I have said this in other places but I also would love to see another book, a serial to this one written. I know it will be as wonderful as this read. I could not believe this was a first book! It was forever t he treat of the year!
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 248 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: