Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
Posts: 968
Registered: ‎09-24-2006
0 Kudos

The Book as a Whole: A Coming-of-Age Novel

This can be considered a coming-of-age novel. What is it about the transition from childhood to adulthood that is so moving, and makes for good fiction? When you look back on your own coming-of-age can you identify with characters like Alice?


Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to the book as a whole.

Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: END THOUGHTS of book, SPOILER WARNING

[ Edited ]
I had some good and not so good thoughts about this book when I finished it. I liked the style of it, the first person narration. I loved it being in a setting, a business, that I am not familiar with. The desert yes, I know very well. The characters were interesting. We had a thread, who had the best attitude and most said Jerry, Sheila and a couple of us thought Mrs. Altman too. (I wanted this thead because of reasons below.) I think we chose these characters because they seemed to be the most grounded, sympathetic characters. Jerry, was not just some fly by night cowboy. He cared, he was a worker, he loved Nona at the expense of what he loved to do. He was good with the horses and with Alice too actually. Mrs Altman did pretty well considering she had a cheating hubby and knew it. She was there for her daughter and also in many ways for Alice. Sheila is just a good kid, she is probably the one person in the book that didnt seem so darn depressing to me! She could see hard things and cry but try to understand and move on to find something good. She could work around the stables and enjoy it. She enjoyed Joe's attention and he enjoyed hers at times too. As noted in the end of the book, the one thing Alice said she was most sorry for because she did it out of malice was telling Sheila about her father. Sheila was able to forgive and come back and move on tho, good for her. There is life in Sheila that in many ways quite frankly, I just dont see in the other characters. They are all so dark in one way or the other.

I liked the first chapter the best actually. It gave promise of something maybe a bit suspenseful to come along. I know some books may start with a tragedy left unexplained and take the characters from there and thats ok if that tragedy is later explained or just left as a starting point. Because Alice was obsessed with Polly and her life, I then became obsessed with Polly and her death! You may never know when someone dies, exactly why or how but because of Alice kind of taking on Polly's unfinished life, I kept expecting to find out why it was unfinished. And the relationship with Mr Demar was just the place of suspense that I kept expecting to see something unfold as a shocker in regards to Polly. Never happened, he turned out to be a bleak, drunk character you worry about but for no real reason i guess because he winds up just leaving. A subplot missed that missed its mark for me.

The question what about coming of age stories, about why is the transition from childhood to adulthood so moving...well I have a problem here. To me, the ending did not give me a coming of age story. For me, what it is about coming of age stories that make them so moving is the learning, that very transition from what a child sees and believes to not JUST the realization of what happened but the learning that brings you into a good light as and adult, something that you now know that helps you in life, that even if childhood was harsh, you hear hope and life in the adult. Those things learned as they "come of age" that make you feel inside something that sticks with you, maybe makes you cry because of the wisdom learned. This didnt feel like a coming of age story to me at the end but more of a continuation of UNlearned lessons and a...this is where we are today and life still sucks and nothing is left behind or any better! And maybe that is true in some lives but not the best way to leave things in a coming of age novel.

Frankly, ok, we know Patty Jo gave money to Alice to go to college or whatever, but then we never know what the whatever is. If you want me to know what a person got out of their early life, tell me what they are doing now. I went back and looked again and all you get, is that she took the money and left and Joe retired because it all fell apart after awhile anyway. Well, what is Alice doing now??? I mean, it doesnt even have to be a chapter, but ok, she left, what is she doing? Is she happy? What did this all mean to her in the end? She finally has a few moments of remembering feeling close to her father while working but its like the last line..."And it is in these moments that I remember him clearly, the sound of his voice as he spoke their names, the gentleness of his touch, and the way that he loved, truly loved, everyone of them (the horses): each of those broken promises, all of those dreams, that never came true." GEESH, ok sounds like she is still morose over what he could give the horses but not her. I KNOW this can happen, I have a mother who never loved me. Thats not a kids view, that took an adult to figure out and talk to her about to find out its true, because I was born out of one of those affairs, that i railed on, and now I am to her, just a reminder of her indiscretion and shouldnt be here. That was this year's revelation from her directly. But I will tell you what, in my own coming of age story, it hurts to know that now, but at the same time, OH YES I have a right to be here and darned if I am not going to be, with my own life. It will be without her but I at least know now why it always was without her emotionally anyway. I won't stay in her past. I am too busy trying to figure out my own present lol. But I guess that's what is disappointing to me about this story. There is nothing about what Alice is now, other than I really get the feeling that with all these depressed people around and her growing up rarely happy, that Alice is or may wind up with the same depression as her mom, some form of clinical depression.

It was a good story, but pretty bleak and to me, nothing learned in the end to help you feel satisfied with the story. I usually never read reviews on books, more often the blips that tell you what they are about but after I read this, I went back and read the critics' reviews on this book, listed on the page where you can buy this book here (dont go there if you havent finished LOL). But I did afterwards to see what the critics thought, was I so off track? They were mixed, good and not so hot, but i have to agree with these two excepts for me:

Publishers weekly "The coupling of female adolescence with the stark West produces its share of harsh truths, though Kyle overstates the moral: love hurts, it's a dangerous world and the truth is hard to swallow."
Kirkus review: "A talented writer's lyrical but oppressive first work. "

Overall it was an oppressive book to me, manly because of the ending I think and no one to balance out all the depression and despair in the story, except maybe Sheila!

I do feel the author definately has talent and because I did like her style of writing, I am sure that I will be looking up some more of her work in a few of years to see what I think then and how her "coming of age as a writer" story is coming along. :smileywink: Also, side note, I enjoyed that as an author, she took this time to visit with us about her book.

Message Edited by vivico1 on 06-19-2007 05:08 PM

Message Edited by vivico1 on 06-19-2007 05:09 PM
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
LeftBrainer
Posts: 55
Registered: ‎10-27-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: END THOUGHTS of book, SPOILER WARNING

I agree with you. I liked the book mostly, but was dissatisfied with the ending. The suspense just fizzled out. No resolution of the Polly story line. Mr Demar goes quietly into the night. We never find out what Alice does with her life. You have expressed it much better than I could.
New User
bettyvander
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎06-20-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: END THOUGHTS of book, SPOILER WARNING

Hmm... well, I have to disagree with the previous comments in this thread. I really liked the book, thought its themes ran very deep, and that Aryn did a masterful job of creating parallels between the animals and the people. And I thought the ending was honest, and even rather hopeful.

Here's my take on it:
The book was indeed about Alice's coming of age. One of the most important jobs of an adolescent is to figure out what love is. And that's what Alice is doing the whole book. Not in the usually-thought-of sense of engaging in her own love affairs, but in perhaps the more important sense of trying to understand the relationships of others. She is a girl desperately searching for love, and the examples she sees are
- the love her mother has for her -- wholely inadequate to her needs, yes, but dotted with instances in which her mother shows real concern for her.
- the love her father has for her -- extremely controlling (in the same way he controls his animals), approving only when she does exactly what he wants or what assits him financially. Yet he tries desperately to save money for her future, and in the end, it is his gentleness which she thinks back on.
- the love her sister, Nona, has for her -- Alice feels as abandoned when her sister elopes and leaves her as she does at her mother's abandonment; then she's doubly confused when Nona returns and thinks that nothing has been changed betweeen them.
- Nona's love for Jerry -- their continual fights show even Alice that their love is based on passion and the sister's desperate need, rather than on any true relationship
- her father's love for Patty Jo -- the relationship is bewildering and frightening to Alice, yet it is always superficial. Their is always the sense that the affair is just fulfilling a physical and ego need in both their lives. Somehow, we understand that it will never lead anywhere, will never replace Jack's relationship with his wife.
- her father's love for her mother -- strangest of all and most difficult to understand, yet there is a bond there which is only made stronger juxtaposed with the affair the father has with Patty Jo, a strange yet potent understanding between them reveled in the end scenes
- Sheila's mother's love for Sheila -- Sheila's father's love for her -- Sheila's parents relationship -- Alice's father's love for his "kill" horses -- Nona's love for her horse which is nominally Sheila's horse --- so many examples, I can't go into all of them here
- and, of course, there is the one, perhaps the only one, which Alice at the time would label "love," her relationship with her teacher. Out of all the people in her life, he is the one she believes truly loves her. After all, he is the only one who listens to her, who is non-judgemental of her, who expects nothing of her. But in the end, he himself assures her that what she has for him is not love.

So, yes, this is a coming of age book. The adult looking back, seeing the adolescent's viewpoint, makes no overt judgements, but she seems to have distilled out a mature understanding. Love is not always big and flashy, or even overpowering. For some people, love can only be expressed in small, subtle ways. But nonetheless, there is an undeniable validity in those infrequent expressions of love. And survival consists in recognizing and cherishing those memories.
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: END THOUGHTS of book, SPOILER WARNING

bettyvander,
I think tho, the very way you explain all the "lessons" about love with each of them, is what makes this book so bleak. No, love doesn't have to be flashy and it is in the small moments, but just as you point out in each of your instances, what she seemed to be learning had nothing to do with healthy love. As for coming of age, we see her look back, remember a "few" moments, and yeah you need at least that to survive, and she remembers her fathers way with the horses that she missed from him. I can't see that she had any real coming of age insight into something purposeful and real for herself. And we dont get any info on what she is doing now or if she has any relationships now. It just felt like someone who grew up in a hopeless life, telling you the last time she was home but nothing about how she "came out of it" by this time in her life. No coming of age, just a feeling of summing up to this point and I really did have a feeling that if this was all she had to learn or feel, she was a candidate for depression herself. We dont learn what she learned or how she is now as an adult so the ending really fell flat. I would hope she is doing more than just surviving. I think this is one of those books, that will have people on one side or the other, you will either love it or be disappointed by it lol, dont you?
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: END THOUGHTS of book, SPOILER WARNING

Ok guys, since this is the last week. Only a couple of us have written what we thought of the book as a whole or the ending at least. How about sharing your thoughts now. I love hearing what you all have to think about the books and why have a bookclub if we dont share what we thought about them at the end? So, come on in, the waters fine, and Cindersue, Wrighty, Kiakar, Basia, and anyone else who has posted that I am leaving out, lets here your thoughts. :smileyhappy:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: END THOUGHTS of book, SPOILER WARNING

I wanted to know what happened to Polly. I was reading and reading, and was a little disappointed that we never found out. I felt there was really never an ending. Does that mean there will be book 2? LOL :smileywink: Everything kinda ended with no conclusions. Does that make sense? :smileysurprised: I had many unanswered questions. I know Alice received money, but she never talked to Joe again. I felt bad about that since they seemed to enjoy each others company. Two lonely people wanted to enjoy living but couldn't at their own homes.
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: END THOUGHTS of book, SPOILER WARNING


cindersue wrote:
I wanted to know what happened to Polly. I was reading and reading, and was a little disappointed that we never found out. I felt there was really never an ending. Does that mean there will be book 2? LOL :smileywink: Everything kinda ended with no conclusions. Does that make sense? :smileysurprised: I had many unanswered questions. I know Alice received money, but she never talked to Joe again. I felt bad about that since they seemed to enjoy each others company. Two lonely people wanted to enjoy living but couldn't at their own homes.


Yeah, i was waiting all throughout the book to see what happened to Polly too. I know sometimes stories start with a death, but I think why I kept wanting to know is because Alice was taking over her life, in a sense and Mr Demar was acting strange after it.It just seemed like there was a really deep subplot brewing that never appeared. It always seemed just below the surface huh. The more she was talked about by Alice , the more I thought there was going to be a shocker revelation about her death. And I was really disappointed that the "Posse" didnt do anything to investigate this little girls death! kinda of a..well musta just been a kid not paying attention and fell in, oh well. I came away feeling the Posse was nothing more than the local police party group, just a little club called the Posse who loved their socials but did nothing more than write tickets or something if they had to. I really wanted ONE really fully functioning adult in the story too and even if there is a second print of this book, the one thing I would really love to see with it, for a coming of age story is...even if i dont ever know about Polly...in that last chapter, say SOMETHING about what Alice went on to do with that money and what she is doing now! It did feel unfinished because she was just reflecting on the past but with no vantage point for us of her present. Did she go to school? Does she have a family? A husband? A boyfriend? Heck, a girlfriend? Even if it was that she really didnt learn a lot about being a happy adult, then tell me what she is doing now in her life that shows how the carried on to her adult life too. It doesnt have to have a happy ending but you do need a sense of where she is now for an ending. A second book huh? hmmm lol. Nah, just an extra chapter or an extra few paragraphs, these guys all just seem too used up. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
AnnMar
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎12-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: A Coming-of-Age Novel

Well, I must agree with Vivico. The ending was flat. What happened to Polly. What happened to Alice's mother. And what, did Alice do with the money. It was a depressing story. The treatment of the animals left me feeling sad and angry. I pray life on all small farms or ranches isn't like the one in this story.

The writing was good, but the story was so depressing.
Author
aryn
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎05-25-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: END THOUGHTS of book, SPOILER WARNING

Thanks Betty!

I’m so glad that you found the ending hopeful—that was always the way that I thought of it. When I was writing the book, I knew that there would be readers who were disappointed that so many threads are left loose at the end. But I made a conscious decision to leave them that way. There are certainly questions raised throughout the novel (What happened to Polly? What’s wrong with Marian?), but providing “answers” didn’t feel genuine to the story that I was trying to tell.

I should probably explain that while I was writing this book, I was not particularly interested in solving mysteries or piecing puzzles together. What I mean is that though there are mysterious elements to the plot (Polly’s death, for example), I never believed that I was writing a suspense novel in which all questions would be answered at the end. Instead, I believed that I was writing a book about this particular character’s experience of shifting from childhood into whatever comes next. One of the biggest struggles of growing up is coming to terms with life’s unanswerable questions. For me, the point was never about Alice discovering answers, but about the relationships she formed and the person she became while she was pursuing them.

Best,

Aryn





bettyvander wrote:
Hmm... well, I have to disagree with the previous comments in this thread. I really liked the book, thought its themes ran very deep, and that Aryn did a masterful job of creating parallels between the animals and the people. And I thought the ending was honest, and even rather hopeful.

Here's my take on it:
The book was indeed about Alice's coming of age. One of the most important jobs of an adolescent is to figure out what love is. And that's what Alice is doing the whole book. Not in the usually-thought-of sense of engaging in her own love affairs, but in perhaps the more important sense of trying to understand the relationships of others. She is a girl desperately searching for love, and the examples she sees are
- the love her mother has for her -- wholely inadequate to her needs, yes, but dotted with instances in which her mother shows real concern for her.
- the love her father has for her -- extremely controlling (in the same way he controls his animals), approving only when she does exactly what he wants or what assits him financially. Yet he tries desperately to save money for her future, and in the end, it is his gentleness which she thinks back on.
- the love her sister, Nona, has for her -- Alice feels as abandoned when her sister elopes and leaves her as she does at her mother's abandonment; then she's doubly confused when Nona returns and thinks that nothing has been changed betweeen them.
- Nona's love for Jerry -- their continual fights show even Alice that their love is based on passion and the sister's desperate need, rather than on any true relationship
- her father's love for Patty Jo -- the relationship is bewildering and frightening to Alice, yet it is always superficial. Their is always the sense that the affair is just fulfilling a physical and ego need in both their lives. Somehow, we understand that it will never lead anywhere, will never replace Jack's relationship with his wife.
- her father's love for her mother -- strangest of all and most difficult to understand, yet there is a bond there which is only made stronger juxtaposed with the affair the father has with Patty Jo, a strange yet potent understanding between them reveled in the end scenes
- Sheila's mother's love for Sheila -- Sheila's father's love for her -- Sheila's parents relationship -- Alice's father's love for his "kill" horses -- Nona's love for her horse which is nominally Sheila's horse --- so many examples, I can't go into all of them here
- and, of course, there is the one, perhaps the only one, which Alice at the time would label "love," her relationship with her teacher. Out of all the people in her life, he is the one she believes truly loves her. After all, he is the only one who listens to her, who is non-judgemental of her, who expects nothing of her. But in the end, he himself assures her that what she has for him is not love.

So, yes, this is a coming of age book. The adult looking back, seeing the adolescent's viewpoint, makes no overt judgements, but she seems to have distilled out a mature understanding. Love is not always big and flashy, or even overpowering. For some people, love can only be expressed in small, subtle ways. But nonetheless, there is an undeniable validity in those infrequent expressions of love. And survival consists in recognizing and cherishing those memories.


Frequent Contributor
cindersue
Posts: 323
Registered: ‎04-02-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: END THOUGHTS of book, SPOILER WARNING

Thanks for your reply, Aryn! It's good to hear the authors point of view. Hearing your thoughts have made me think of another perspective I didn't think about. Good luck with your future books. I look forward to reading another of your writings. :smileywink:
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: END THOUGHTS of book, SPOILER WARNING

Aryn wrote:
I should probably explain that while I was writing this book, I was not particularly interested in solving mysteries or piecing puzzles together. What I mean is that though there are mysterious elements to the plot (Polly’s death, for example), I never believed that I was writing a suspense novel in which all questions would be answered at the end. Instead, I believed that I was writing a book about this particular character’s experience of shifting from childhood into whatever comes next. One of the biggest struggles of growing up is coming to terms with life’s unanswerable questions. For me, the point was never about Alice discovering answers, but about the relationships she formed and the person she became while she was pursuing them.

Best,

Aryn
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aryn, I guess what I felt was that I didnt get a real view of "the person she became when she grew up". Even if we never knew what happened to Polly or some of the other things, I understand looking back on the relationships she had as a kid, but how are hers now? Does she have any real ones? What did she do with the money, go to college, get married? I just miss that adult at the end saying ok, here was the story i wanted to tell and just enough about me now, to let you know just how those things affected me today. Its like, if you have ever met someone who just decides to tell you their whole childhood and you dont even know them (we have all had that experience) but if it touches you, you really want to engage with that person about well how are you doing now with all that? You really want to know with a big story of their childhood, who they are now and maybe some of us, or just me, missed that point all together. I just felt like the end was kind of that cliche, life sucks, and then you die! No offense intended at all, please know that. I just really wished after knowing her and all her relationships as a kid, I would have gotten just some insight into her adult life at the end, good or bad.:smileysad: Mostly, I was left with the feeling, this is now Marian again, an adult possibly suffering from depression too, but I really dont know. Anyway, ty so much for being here in the club with us. Wished it could have been a bigger group for us and you. Good luck with your future works. Vivian
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
aryn
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎05-25-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: END THOUGHTS of book, SPOILER WARNING

Thanks so much Cindersue! And thank you for participating this month.

All best,

Aryn





cindersue wrote:
Thanks for your reply, Aryn! It's good to hear the authors point of view. Hearing your thoughts have made me think of another perspective I didn't think about. Good luck with your future books. I look forward to reading another of your writings. :smileywink:


Author
aryn
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎05-25-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: END THOUGHTS of book, SPOILER WARNING

Hey Viv,

Well, this might be my last late-night post :smileysad:

I definitely understand where you're coming from with the ending, and I have to say that it's something I thought about a lot as I was writing the book. One of the only edits I was given after the book sold was to make it clearer what happens to Alice at the end (yup, believe it or not, it was even less clear in the first draft). "We just need to know she grows up to be okay," they told me. And at first, I thought, "Of course she grows up to be okay." But then I thought, "Does anyone really grow up to be okay?"

As infuriatingly vague as this probably seems, I ended the book thinking, "Yeah, Alice is okay. As okay as anybody."

I guess that might be a tad depressing, but I find it kind of hopeful. Don't know what that says about me. :smileyhappy:

Thanks again for being such a vibrant force on the discussion this month.

All my best,

Aryn




vivico1 wrote:
Aryn wrote:
I should probably explain that while I was writing this book, I was not particularly interested in solving mysteries or piecing puzzles together. What I mean is that though there are mysterious elements to the plot (Polly’s death, for example), I never believed that I was writing a suspense novel in which all questions would be answered at the end. Instead, I believed that I was writing a book about this particular character’s experience of shifting from childhood into whatever comes next. One of the biggest struggles of growing up is coming to terms with life’s unanswerable questions. For me, the point was never about Alice discovering answers, but about the relationships she formed and the person she became while she was pursuing them.

Best,

Aryn
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aryn, I guess what I felt was that I didnt get a real view of "the person she became when she grew up". Even if we never knew what happened to Polly or some of the other things, I understand looking back on the relationships she had as a kid, but how are hers now? Does she have any real ones? What did she do with the money, go to college, get married? I just miss that adult at the end saying ok, here was the story i wanted to tell and just enough about me now, to let you know just how those things affected me today. Its like, if you have ever met someone who just decides to tell you their whole childhood and you dont even know them (we have all had that experience) but if it touches you, you really want to engage with that person about well how are you doing now with all that? You really want to know with a big story of their childhood, who they are now and maybe some of us, or just me, missed that point all together. I just felt like the end was kind of that cliche, life sucks, and then you die! No offense intended at all, please know that. I just really wished after knowing her and all her relationships as a kid, I would have gotten just some insight into her adult life at the end, good or bad.:smileysad: Mostly, I was left with the feeling, this is now Marian again, an adult possibly suffering from depression too, but I really dont know. Anyway, ty so much for being here in the club with us. Wished it could have been a bigger group for us and you. Good luck with your future works. Vivian
_______________________________________________________________________________________


Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: END THOUGHTS of book, SPOILER WARNING


aryn wrote:
Hey Viv,

Well, this might be my last late-night post :smileysad:

I definitely understand where you're coming from with the ending, and I have to say that it's something I thought about a lot as I was writing the book. One of the only edits I was given after the book sold was to make it clearer what happens to Alice at the end (yup, believe it or not, it was even less clear in the first draft). "We just need to know she grows up to be okay," they told me. And at first, I thought, "Of course she grows up to be okay." But then I thought, "Does anyone really grow up to be okay?"

As infuriatingly vague as this probably seems, I ended the book thinking, "Yeah, Alice is okay. As okay as anybody."

I guess that might be a tad depressing, but I find it kind of hopeful. Don't know what that says about me. :smileyhappy:

Thanks again for being such a vibrant force on the discussion this month.

All my best,

Aryn







Aryn, that is pretty interesting, and a tad funny :smileywink:. It has been nice to get to talk with you about the book and after all it is your book too. I don't write professionally but I know I dont like having someone try to get me to change what I write, its there the way it is for a reason , so I understand that part lol. But I do like feed back and I figured even if I had a problem with parts of it, you would prefer to hear what people think for real. Hey, even if you dont write anymore late night posts but peek back in to see if anything more was said, again, good luck with your next book and we will be looking for it. Have you started one yet? Or working on an idea for one? See trying to coax one last answer or two out of you LOL. But then, I look back on these clubs for a week or so after they are over just to see if anyone came back to say anything. It was nice to meet you Aryn.
Vivian
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
aryn
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎05-25-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: END THOUGHTS of book, SPOILER WARNING

Hi Viv,

Look, I'm posting in the afternoon--like a regular person :smileyhappy:

It's been great reading your comments, and of course, I'm always glad to learn people's reactions to the book. The writing process is so weirdly isolating that I'm really interested in knowing people's opinions about different aspects of the book now that it's out in the big world.

I've been working mostly on short stories lately and have a collection pretty close to finished, but haven't really started on a second novel yet. I finished The God of Animals a little over a year ago, and I've needed that time to disconnect from it, if that makes sense. Writing a novel was such an intense experience and I've really wanted to make sure that I'm divorced from the first one before I start in on the second. I've also been traveling a lot this year, which makes it difficult to settle into work. Things are going to slow down for me in July, I think, and I'm hoping to hole up at home and get to work on the next novel. Fingers crossed, anyway.

Thanks again!

Aryn
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: END THOUGHTS of book, SPOILER WARNING



vivico1 wrote:

cindersue wrote:
I wanted to know what happened to Polly. I was reading and reading, and was a little disappointed that we never found out. I felt there was really never an ending. Does that mean there will be book 2? LOL :smileywink: Everything kinda ended with no conclusions. Does that make sense? :smileysurprised: I had many unanswered questions. I know Alice received money, but she never talked to Joe again. I felt bad about that since they seemed to enjoy each others company. Two lonely people wanted to enjoy living but couldn't at their own homes.


Yeah, i was waiting all throughout the book to see what happened to Polly too. I know sometimes stories start with a death, but I think why I kept wanting to know is because Alice was taking over her life, in a sense and Mr Demar was acting strange after it.It just seemed like there was a really deep subplot brewing that never appeared. It always seemed just below the surface the story too and even if there is a second print of this book, the one thing I would

really love to see with it, for a coming of age story is...even if i dont ever know





about Polly...in that last chapter, say SOMETHING about what Alice went on to do with that money and what she is doing now! It did feel unfinished because she was just reflecting on the past but with no vantage point for us of her present. Did she go to school? Does she have a family? A husband? A boyfriend? Heck, a girlfriend? Even if it was that she really didnt learn a lot about being a happy adult, then tell me what she is doing now in her life that shows how the carried on to her adult life too. It doesnt have to have a happy ending but you do need a sense of where she is now for an ending. A second book huh? hmmm lol. Nah, just an extra chapter or an extra few paragraphs, these guys all just seem too used up. :smileywink:




Yes, Vivico, it definitely needs another writing to give us satisfaction into what happened to Alice. And also we are just naturally curious to what happend to the rest of the characters also. I hope we have another book soon from Aryn.
Users Online
Currently online: 44 members 315 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: