Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
basia
0 Kudos

The Book as a Whole: Alice and Lying

[ Edited ]
At one point in the book, Alice admits to lying often. For example, when telling Mr Delmar about her relationship about with Polly, about what her parents do, etc. I was wandering if you think that that undermines her credibility as a narrator? Do you think she lied about anything to us - the readers? That's one thing I wandered about. Could it be that there were some other things that weren't as they seemed?

Message Edited by basia on 06-04-200704:10 PM

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Alice and Lying

basia wrote:
At one point in the book, Alice admits to lying often. For example, when telling Mr Delmar about her relationship about with Polly, about what her parents do, etc. I was wandering if you think that that undermines her credibility as a narrator? Do you think she lied about anything to us - the readers? That's one thing I wandered about. Could it be that there were some other things that weren't as they seemed?

I don't think it underminds her as the narrator. After all, we hear her thoughts behind why she lied and what makes her lie about some things. As a matter of fact, on some of the lies, she even goes over what made her say what she does and how she justifies it to herself. As for some of the other lies thus far, like to help her father's business when she is talking to potential customers, or lying to the twin boys about something, you know she is or you know its a kid's way to get to another one. So, as the narrator of the book, she lacks no credibility to me, she talks about her lies too much lol, for me to mistrust what she is saying..as the narrator that is.
(trying to be careful here not to say anything about specific lies because it may get into situations that people havent read yet :smileywink:) this is just a general answer.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
jenlaw77
0 Kudos

I agree with vivico1, I don't think this undermines Alice's credibility. She lied to get attention by those around her. I don't think she would lie to the reader...we were of a sounding board than a source of sympathy.

Jenn
Frequent Contributor
basia
0 Kudos

Yeah, that makes sense. Still, I was a bit suspicious, was waiting to see if some things would turn out not as they may have seemed. But yes, I guess we have to take her word as a narrator and trust that what she tells us is true.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

I really do not feel it undermines Alice either. She does explain each reason for what she does or saids. And she hears her Dad defying the truth every day to his lady friends. She is living in a dream, this helps her survive. But she has good reasons for this.
Author
aryn
0 Kudos

I'm glad to see you bring up Alice's father here, Kiakar. I think that Alice lies about different things for different reasons, but as I was writing, I thought about how confusing it would be for a child to grow up in a culture of lies--Joe lies all the time for his business, telling people what they want to hear, etc. And in a way, Alice has grown up learning to lie about her mother, or at least learning not to tell the truth about her.

I agree that Alice is living in a sort of dream and that lying is one of the ways she copes.

Thanks for the comment!

kiakar wrote:
I really do not feel it undermines Alice either. She does explain each reason for what she does or saids. And she hears her Dad defying the truth every day to his lady friends. She is living in a dream, this helps her survive. But she has good reasons for this.

Users Online
Currently online: 35 members 271 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: