Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

The Book as a Whole: The Narrator

What do you think of Kyle's choice to narrate the novel from twelve-year-old Alice's perspective? What do you learn about Alice and how she relates to her world as the novel progresses? Do you prefer first person narration or third person?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to the book as a whole.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: The Narrator

I don't read a lot of fiction, not really my thing but have been reading more lately with some of you guys and really enjoying them. As for narrative style, I do prefer the first person. I like seeing the story from the protagonist's eyes because you also hear their reasonings for things and thoughts that you cant always get from a third person story.

Alice thinks a lot about things, and has a lot of feelings about things, things she doesn't share with others that we would not know in a third person style. When your main character is in many ways "invisible" to the world around her, how would you really get to know her, if you aren't in her head, going with her?

Aryn writes with the voice of a 12 year old girl. I like that. I like to see things a 12 year old feels from a 12 year olds vantage point and experience. This is what makes Alice's story work and keeps you going. One thing did bother me tho and i wished I had taken notes to show where I am talking about (I am going to start taking notes for these bookclubs lol). Aryn, if you get to read this, I loved your book, dont get me wrong but two things bothered me, one will come later when I know we are all done with the book but this one applies here and I wondered too if others noticed this. I do believe this is a 12 year old girl talking to me, but then there are a few places where the author seems to lose the voice of a 12 year old. Its not completely consistant throughout the book, with how a 12 year old would talk (wording too adult in getting a point across) or with how Alice herself talks and her experience. If I could think of where now, I would point it out, I thought of that twice I think, one may have been in a convo with Mr Delmar. I am not talking about Alice trying to sound more grown up than she is, or Alice being more grownup (out of necessity) than she should have to be. I am talking about the voice, language usage of a 12 year old versus an adult writing for a 12 year old. A couple of times that happened, where I felt that tho it was first person narration, I suddenly was listening to a third person (the author) writing FOR the first person. It just wasnt a 12 year old Alice's voice. Does that make sense?

One recent book I read, in here actually, was about a young girl, and everything she says and does and experiences is incredibly real as a young girl and she had gone through a horrible tragedy but all aspects were kept in her age and voice, even to when it was a bit lighter. I even questioned the author as to how she did this so incredible well that I felt 13 again myself LOL, or 15, she said, having kids that age and listening to the way they talked helped lol, and thinking back to herself at that age. Here, a couple of times, I lost that which didn't hurt the story, but made a momentary stumble for me on the road of this little girl's life. I believe this is the author's first book and she has done a wonderful job, heck i was done reading the book before we started the club lol but it may be just that, a new novelist's momentary stumble.

Now, everyone tell me, well I never noticed that at all, all of it was spot on ROFL! :smileytongue:
anyway, I felt it and just wondering if any of you did at any parts and if you remember where if you did.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:

What do you think of Kyle's choice to narrate the novel from twelve-year-old Alice's perspective? What do you learn about Alice and how she relates to her world as
the novel progresses? Do you prefer first person narration or third person?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

I really like the book with Alice's perspective out there in front; I think with a young person narrating, you can read the other characters fairly well also. And you see the sadness, the yearning, the wanting a better life than she had.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Jessica wrote:

What do you think of Kyle's choice to narrate the novel from twelve-year-old Alice's perspective? What do you learn about Alice and how she relates to her world as
the novel progresses? Do you prefer first person narration or third person?

I really like the book with Alice's perspective out there in front; I think with a young person narrating, you can read the other characters fairly well also. And you see the sadness, the yearning, the wanting a better life than she had.

Do you think the 12 year old voice stayed consistant? Or were there a couple of times for you that you felt the grownup writing, that it didnt sound like something a 12 year old would say or how she would talk? Remember Cage of Stars? Man, I believed every single second that that was a young girl talking and thinking, but I felt a couple of times here it may have been in the 1st person but i felt the 3rd person voice in the writing. Just curious.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
AnnMar
0 Kudos

For this story, the first person narration of a twelve year was a good choice. It made the story so interesting to see and feel how a young girl viewed her small world. Alice is so self contained and so lonely. She was so lonely she had to create a friendship between herself and a dead girl. She has very little exposure to the outside world and no adult in her life will tell her the truth about events that affect her life. I just felt sad for her.

I'm afraid I didn't notice any slippage into third person narration during the reading of this book. I really don't analyze the books I read. I read just for pure enjoyment.
Users Online
Currently online:11 members 238 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: