Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

The Book as a Whole: The Title

What does the title of the book mean to you? Do you have an idea of who or what is "the God of animals"?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

Note: This topic refers to the book as a whole.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: The Title

Jessica wrote:

What does the title of the book mean to you? Do you have an idea of who or what is "the God of animals"?

Reply to this message to discuss any of these topics. Or start your own new topic by clicking "New Message."

When Alice talks to Mr Demar about God and a God of Animals, I felt like Alice was wondering about the nature of God in general and where was he in her life. I dont remember her exact line about there being a God of animals and might have a hard time finding that discussion again but my best memory of it was a sense of her thinking (not saying, just a feeling i had) something like, surely there is a God of animals, the kind we read about who cares and loves and watches over you all the time because how could a God not love animals. If this was what it was about, it made me think that she was again expressing her loneliness and that maybe if she wasnt loveable enough, even for God maybe, animals surely were. The title itself with the story told, made me think that the God of animals seems to be the people who own them or take care of them. They are cared for by humans but also have to submit to man's every whim, good or bad and man is often cruel but they are the "supreme or higher being" in these horses lives. Lot of darkness around this idea of God in the title, but then its a rather dark book actually.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: The Book as a Whole: The Title

Jessica wrote:

It sounds like a statement of the world. God is over all animals. Human and other wise. Doesn't that describe this book to a "t". God made us all but our life is determined by the way we live.
Users Online
Currently online: 37 members 638 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: