Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

WEANING FOALS

I know this is one of the questions on the BOOK AS A WHOLE: HORSES thread, but there are several questions there that are part way through the book and some that you need to finish the book for. This aspect is part way through the book, so I thought maybe we could say something about it without worrying about it being a spoiler here. Hope you dont mind.

Mainly, I just wanted to ask any of you, did you know about how foals are weaned? I had no idea that they were taken away from their mothers, separated into a different coral and the mares had to suffer so till they began to dry up! This was all news to me. It sounded almost like a mean thing to do but I can see know looking at it why it had to be done that way. At the same time, I could hear the cries of the foals and their mothers into the nights with the way Aryn describes all this and it was eerie and sad. I thought about Alice's mother upstairs, especially at night, hearing them crying with all the noise of a lost soul and a hurting one, animals or not, and wondered how she weathered this time at all with her depression, or what it might have made her think about. What did you think about this part of having the horses? Did you have any particular feelings too?
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
LeftBrainer
0 Kudos

Re: WEANING FOALS

I grew up on a cattle ranch so I knew how foals were weaned. Calves are weaned the same way. In my home town, there is a cattle sell every Friday in the fall when the calves are weaned. Thursday, Friday and most of Saturday, the calves can be heard all over town. Saturday it quiets down as the calves are loaded onto semi trucks and hauled out of town. Back on the ranch, the cows moan for their calves. The cows are already pregnant so they soon dry up. The mares in the book weren’t pregnant and that might have made it worse. I had a mare that had a foal, when I was about 12. I don’t remember it being that traumatic, but it may have been one of the things I accepted as the way things have to be.

Nancy
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

LeftBrainer wrote:
I grew up on a cattle ranch so I knew how foals were weaned. Calves are weaned the same way. In my home town, there is a cattle sell every Friday in the fall when the calves are weaned. Thursday, Friday and most of Saturday, the calves can be heard all over town. Saturday it quiets down as the calves are loaded onto semi trucks and hauled out of town. Back on the ranch, the cows moan for their calves. The cows are already pregnant so they soon dry up. The mares in the book weren’t pregnant and that might have made it worse. I had a mare that had a foal, when I was about 12. I don’t remember it being that traumatic, but it may have been one of the things I accepted as the way things have to be.

Nancy

I didn't know foals were weaned that way. What a description in the book. Being a mother of four, I cried inside thinking of those poor babies, and their mother. I almost felt myself leaking milk! :smileysurprised: Thanks for your message LeftBrainer. It's a way of life, I guess.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

LeftBrainer wrote:

Nancy

I didn't know foals were weaned that way. What a description in the book. Being a mother of four, I cried inside thinking of those poor babies, and their mother. I almost felt myself leaking milk! :smileysurprised: Thanks for your message LeftBrainer. It's a way of life, I guess.

LOLOLOL, ok cindersue, I am with you on the feel like crying part lol. Even tho right at this moment I dont remember exactly the words the author used to describe the sights and sounds but even after finishing the book, I think about what that might be like, especially at night. Something almost surreal, the woeful cry of an animal at night is so sad anyway and eerie sometimes that to think of several of them crying and the mothers too in the night still makes me shiver. BUT, the lol's up there, sorry, but I was reading your remarks and feeling your mother's pain too but when I got to the "myself leaking milk" line, I laughed so hard out loud, still am hehe. NOW that's a true mother's sympathy if ever I heard one!!!! lol wow. :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
AnnMar
0 Kudos

This part of the book brought tears to my eyes. I volunteer with an animal rescue group (dogs & cats) and have seen animals that have suffered so much at the hands of humans. I couldn't live on a ranch or farm and I feel sad for Alice's mom. If I were her, I would have the TV blasting day and night to block out the animal cries.

Ann
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:
I know this is one of the questions on the BOOK AS A WHOLE: HORSES thread, but there are several questions there that are part way through the book and some that you need to finish the book for. This aspect is part way through the book, so I thought maybe we could say something about it without worrying about it being a spoiler here. Hope you dont mind.

Mainly, I just wanted to ask any of you, did you know about how foals are weaned? I had no idea that they were taken away from their mothers, separated into a different coral and the mares had to suffer so till they began to dry up! This was all news to me. It sounded almost like a mean thing to do but I can see know looking at it why it had to be done that way. At the same time, I could hear the cries of the foals and their mothers into the nights with the way Aryn describes all this and it was eerie and sad. I thought about Alice's mother upstairs, especially at night, hearing them crying with all the noise of a lost soul and a hurting one, animals or not, and wondered how she weathered this time at all with her depression, or what it might have made her think about. What did you think about this part of having the horses? Did you have any particular feelings too?

I had no idea of this either, Vivico.
Life sure is hard for all of us on this earth. It proves that life is hard and if its not, it wouldn't be too worth living it.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

LeftBrainer wrote:

Nancy

And you are right: That is the way life is meant to be. Work hard, suffer and then maybe there will be rejoicing.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

And you are right: That is the way life is meant to be. Work hard, suffer and then maybe there will be rejoicing.

Now Kiakar, thats a bit pessimistic dont ya think? :smileywink: I will agree with part of your two posts here, life is hard (at times and for everyone, we are meant to learn from it),work hard...well how about, whatever you have in life to work with, do it to the very best you can, suffer, yes we will suffer, its part of the human condition and also meant to be learned from, then "maybe" there will be rejoicing? I would change that some and add a little something extra.

Life is hard, and we suffer. Do it anyway and learn from it the best lessons and leave the bad behind. (OH man this just made me think of something i want to say about this book as a whole later!) Whatever you have in life to work with, give it to the very best you can. LOVE well, give good things of yourself. Serve well, others who need help. Believe, have faith and hope, cause more is to come that is even better. But also while you are here ENJOY this life, its a gift! And given by a Father who wants you to be happy here too not just later. Do these things and yep, later no maybe about it, there WILL be rejoicing. lol :smileytongue:
Vivian
Author
aryn
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I feel like I should jump in here just to save you all a little trauma :smileyhappy:

I did some research on weaning while I was writing the book, and I feel that I should share it with you so that you don't hold the Winstons up as the model for how weaning is always performed. The truth is that there are much more humane ways to handle this. Sometimes, ranchers will separate foals from their mothers slowly, first putting them in a pen that is against their mothers' pen/pasture so that they can touch through the fence, then moving them farther and farther apart over a period of time. Much better, right?

That said, there are people who handle it the way that my characters do, who believe that it's best to do it quick, like a bandaid. But they are largely in the minority.

It's funny, I have readers approach me at readings who will say, "I grew up on a ranch and that's exactly how we did it!" And ten minutes later I'll talk to another reader who says, "I grew up on a ranch and we would have NEVER done that!" The same could be said about training, foaling, etc.

In many ways, the Winstons are living in a world that is on its way out. Go to a stable in Boston or Denver (I just went to one in Belgium--jeez, it was like a palace) and it's not going to look like the one in this book. In Joe's defense, he didn't go to college to study equine sciences, he doesn't read books about the latest methods. What he knows about his business, he learned from his father, who probably learned it from his father. It's a pretty harsh life, and I think it makes it easier to understand how someone as fragile as Marian might begin to break down in it.

But sleep easy. No animals were harmed during the writing of this book (except my cat, who got her head stuck in a drinking glass and had to be pried out--in truth, she was more scared than hurt). :smileyhappy:
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Now Kiakar, thats a bit pessimistic dont ya think? :smileywink: I will agree with part of your two posts here, life is hard (at times and for everyone, we are meant to learn from it),work hard...well how about, whatever you have in life to work with, do it to the very best you can, suffer, yes we will suffer, its part of the human condition and also meant to be learned from, then "maybe" there will be rejoicing? I would change that some and add a little something extra.

Life is hard, and we suffer. Do it anyway and learn from it the best lessons and leave the bad behind. (OH man this just made me think of something i want to say about this book as a whole later!) Whatever you have in life to work with, give it to the very best you can. LOVE well, give good things of yourself. Serve well, others who need help. Believe, have faith and hope, cause more is to come that is even better. But also while you are here ENJOY this life, its a gift! And given by a Father who wants you to be happy here too not just later. Do these things and yep, later no maybe about it, there WILL be rejoicing. lol :smileytongue:

Yeah! I didnt clarify myself very well! But thanks for completeling my thoughts. ha. You are getting as good as it as Stephanie! ha.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

kiakar wrote:

Yeah! I didnt clarify myself very well! But thanks for completeling my thoughts. ha. You are getting as good as it as Stephanie! ha.

Stephanie?? lol, whose that and is that a good thing or bad thing LOL.
Vivian
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

It's Stephanie the moderator from last book?
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

Might have been. But I dont remember, if so, still, is that a good thing or a bad thing LOL.
Vivian
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

cindersue wrote:

Oh! yes! Sorry, you two, I forgot she wasn't moderating this one! ha.
Frequent Contributor
cindersue
0 Kudos

well, hehehehe, the name was familiar :smileywink:
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 226 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: