Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

[N2E] new forum?

Going through the Nook forums it seems obvious that the N2E needs its own forum.  It is as different a device from the N1E as the NC.  The interface is different (unless the N1E gets a significant firmware change).  The hardware is different and many of the functions are different.

Not sure if anyone else agrees but I think the Nook forum is going to get really messy with both N1E owners and N2E owners trying to filter through looking for what applies to their devices regardless of the forum posting rules

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005

Re: [N2E] new forum?

My experience with forums for other kinds of hardware is that having duplicate forums is only useful for a month or two after one product is discontinued for another. After that, postings regarding the old product fall off to a trickle. There aren't going to be many new N1E users, and in the absence of any firmware updates, there's not going to be much N1E-specific that the existing users will be posting about.

As we already see here, it's difficult to get people to post in the correct forum anyway.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

I agree, we'll probably see the posts for the N1E drop off as it is phased out.

So a separate section is probably not warranted.

Now if people would only tag more/better and use the suggested device indicators in their subject lines... (A guy can dream, can't he?)

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

Proper tagging doesn't seem to be helping in the General Discussion forum.  There are posts thread clearly marked N1E and N2E where people are now thinking the N2E can't access the microsd expanion cards because of what they have read in the N1E threads.  I venture to say that no NC owners are having this problem.

Sorry to disagree but most technology forums WOULD separate these device because they have a) different hardware and b) a completely different user interface.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

Proper tagging doesn't seem to be helping in the General Discussion forum.  There are posts thread clearly marked N1E and N2E where people are now thinking the N2E can't access the microsd expanion cards because of what they have read in the N1E threads.  I venture to say that no NC owners are having this problem.

Sorry to disagree but most technology forums WOULD separate these device because they have a) different hardware and b) a completely different user interface.

You are making the assumption that people will go to the correct forum.  From personal observation I would dispute that theory.

►Without order there is chaos◄
New User
Jim-McG
0 Kudos

Mixing the new and old Nooks in the same forum has been VERY confusing for people like me who are new to the Nook and don't have any prior experience with the N1E. 

I am now up-to-speed on what the N2E can and can't do versus the N1E, and will be better able to parse out and ignore "Nook" forum posts that are not relevant to the N2E.  But the experience has been very frustrating and not at all what B&N should want for their newest customers.  YUCK.

One thing that would have been helpful is just a list of N1E features that are NOT in the N2E (e.g. MP3 support; PDB format; accessible web browser vs hidden browser; et al).

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

[ Edited ]

I think separate forums are totally unneccessary.  There's a sticky in the community room instructing people to not post about NOOKs there - and on the first page of posts there are at least 4 posts about NOOKs.  They rearranged the forums so NOOKColor comes first so NOOKColor posts wouldn't end up in the NOOK forum.  We still have NEW NOOKColor posts in the NOOK forums.

People do whatever they want, whereever they want.  A new forum is just one more place for people to ignore.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

I think separate forums are totally unneccessary.  There's a sticky in the community room instructing people to not post about NOOKs there - and on the first page of posts there are at least 4 posts about NOOKs.  They rearranged the forums so NOOKColor comes first so NOOKColor posts wouldn't end up in the NOOK forum.  We still have NEW NOOKColor posts in the NOOK forums.

People do whatever they want, whereever they want.  A new forum is just one more place for people to ignore.

Hear, hear.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Given that the N1E is an end of life product that is in the process of being replaced by the N2E I see no need for a separate forum.

Eventually almost all the N1Es will dies off and be replaced by N2E. Of course by that time there will be N5E users complaining that they need their own forum.

Frequent Contributor
Weezie13
0 Kudos

Well, I'm ok now but when I first purchased my Nook Simple Touch I must admit to confusion.  Some people are talking about it as N2 when they mean NC and others don't distinguish between N1 and N2 at all.  One can only determine which one after careful reading.  Of course not a problem after a day or 2 of using the new device.  I love it.  Not so crazy about the sd stuck in the slot though.

Louise

Weezie